Start by marking “Dogku” as Want to Read:
Dogku

Dogku

A homeless dog picks the right door and finds a loving family who takes him in.
Published June 26th 2007 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dogku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogku

Lisa Vegan
May 11, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves dogs; anyone who enjoys haiku; fans of family stories, lovely illustrations
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This story, told via haiku poems, is so cute, sweet, charming, amusing and touching, and clever. It feels nearly perfect. The story is wonderful and wonderfully told. I was surprised by how much I adored this book.

There is also a lovely author’s note at the end about what a haiku poem is and why he chose to write this story via haiku. Perfect choice!

The illustrations are just wonderful. They’re so expressive and colorful and engaging. A part of the style I’d love anywhere; a part of the style wo
N_Allie l
Nov 13, 2010 N_Allie l rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is another one of my favorite poetry books for younger students. The author, Andrew Clements (also known for writing best sellers such as Frindle and The School Story) creates a fun, sweet way for children to learn about Haikus. Haikus are poems with 17 syllables that break down by stanzas by 5 syllables, 7 syllables and 5 syllables.

The story features a dog and a day-in-his-life. Andrew Clements cleverly writes each page in a haiku format. Your students will become instantly engaged in this
Kathryn
May 11, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Just adorable! Loved the story, loved the haiku, loved the illustrations. Made me feel very happy.
I wish all homeless dogs could find a wonderful home like this one.

Be sure to read the author's note at the back. I like how explains why he chose to write in haiku and how he describes it like being faced by a whole garden of flowers but choosing a small vase (so many words? how to choose! haiku helps him narrow his focus.)
Brittany
Mar 04, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it
Summary:
This book is the life of a dog in the short simple verses of a haiku. Everything a dog loves and doesn't love is covered in this book. It seems to be a streaming line of consciousness of what goes through a dog’s head. Even the climax when it seems that the family may be taking Mooch to the pound. It's a feel-good story about a stray dog finding a real home.

Response:
I picked up this book because I have never had a clean understanding of what a haiku is. I remember learning about it back
Jen
Oct 02, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of young children who want to teach haiku without torture devices
Recommended to Jen by: son's selection at the library
Dogku was a surprise winner in our house. I didn't recognize the author's name at first, and when my son brought it home I simply looked at the cover and sighed. I thought it was one of *those* books. But, it wasn't so bad. It's a story told in haiku and just exposing a little one to the form is worth three stars for me. Plus, the haikus are just fine, not too sweet or stupid.

And then I read the author's note at the back, a tiny thing, mostly two haikus :

"Vast ocean of words-
I am almost dr
Niki  Tavoussi
When i first saw the title of the book, Dogku, I had absolutely no idea what it would be about. Well, I knew it would be about a dog atleast partially, but I didn't fully understand what the -ku was there for. After finishing the book, however, I can tell clearly what it means. Dogku is a book written entirely in haiku form, hence the term Dog-KU. It's a sweet story about a little, stray dog named Mooch who finds a family to take him in. The illustrations are extremely adorable and even adult re ...more
Julie
Sep 23, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
What sets this picture book about a dog apart is that the story is exclusively told in Haiku! “Nose out the window/ears flapping, hair pushed straight back/Adventures in smell.” DOGKU is the charming story of Mooch, a fluffy dog that needs a home. Eye appealing oil-painted illustrations on every page, some with two-page spreads, that bring the text to life. Detailed but not too busy, the pictures provide context clues and support the themes of dogs and of neighborhood life. Andrew Clements inclu ...more
Nancy Kotkin
Story of a homeless dog adopted by a family. Told entirely in senryu (Japanese poetic form same as haiku but about life foibles instead of nature). The dog version of Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku, though this picture book was published several years prior to that one. Excellent resource for teaching haiku/senryu poetry. Also recommend for dog lovers.
Julie Hafner
Sep 30, 2015 Julie Hafner rated it really liked it
Shelves: rll-538
Cute Mooch needs a home
Lovely family takes him
Everyone happy

Reading an entire book in haiku is only made better when stray dog Mooch is the star of the show. It is a beautifully illustrated book that makes you want to adopt him too. Clements has a gift for story telling in haiku verse and makes the reader want to write haiku. A great introduction into Haiku and poetry for all students.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was SO cute!! The haiku tell the story of a stray dog who thinks he's found a home--until he gets into trouble. What really makes this story are Tim Bowers' cute illustrations of this little guy, and especially the last page. Even if you don't like dogs, you've got to like this book. Highly recommended!
Brittney Daniel
This dog was so adorable and while reading this first before I read it to my class almost had me in tears and you will have to read it to find out why?? Lol this dog was an awesome family pet and can be discussed with children to talk about their family pets.
Michele Knott
May 15, 2015 Michele Knott rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2015
Loved the haikus and really enjoyed the illustrations!
I also liked reading Clements' note at the end, giving the readers a little glimpse into his journey of writing haikus.
KerriRowland
Nov 07, 2013 KerriRowland rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Dogku is written by Andrew Clements, who is known as the master storyteller on many sites. The book is about a stray dog that finds his way to this home in the early morning hours and sits at the back step hoping to be discovered. A Mom, who proceeds to give him food, a bath and an introduction to three lovable children, brings him into this home. The children name him Mooch after pondering other names such as: Rags and Mutt. Mooch and the Mom waves the three children off to school and watch fro ...more
Chelsea Yarworth
May 04, 2016 Chelsea Yarworth rated it really liked it
Dogku is a poetry book for grades 1st through 3rd. This is a Black Eyed Susan award winner. This story is about a dog who is homeless. The story shows how he finds the right home and loves his new life. I rated this story 4 out of 5 stars because i find that it would be very helpful to some kids who foster animals. I would use this story if i were in a poetry unit and would teach how to write a haiku. The text was in a haiku format which is 17 syllables 5/7/5. The text was in black and was very ...more
Crystal Lough
Oct 26, 2011 Crystal Lough rated it really liked it
Dogku is a poetry book. It is targeted for students of primary age. The book tells a story of a family who has a stray dog end up on their back porch and they take him in. The story continues to show what the family and dog does after he becomes a part of their family. I rated this book a 4 because I genuinely enjoyed it. The characters, mom, dad, sister and two brothers can be very relatable to the majority of children. The plot line holds the attention of the reader because you want to know wh ...more
Carey Wang
Mar 29, 2010 Carey Wang rated it really liked it
Last week in class, my teacher read this book to my class, it might sound like a corny and weird children's book, but it is totally not, it has some humor, great pictures and the most important of all is that it contains some super cool haikus. Sure, this book is a little hard to understand with all the haikus, and not a whole a lot of details in the words, but the pictures totally canceled out the negatives with all its detailed expression on the characters.

I really admired Andrew Clements for
Julia Drescher
Mar 03, 2014 Julia Drescher rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This may be the first poetry picture book I have ever read. If it isn’t, then it’s the first one I have read in quite a while. This is the story of a lost puppy that ends up finding a family to take him in. The family has children, and they decide to keep him as the family pet. While I enjoyed the story, the illustrations, and the fact that each page contained words in haiku, my favorite part of this book was the author’s note.

The author explains what a haiku is. He also explains why he wrote th
L12_Anke
Mar 05, 2012 L12_Anke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
DOGKU by Andrew Clements is the perfect book to introduce haiku poetry to students. The entire book is written in haiku as it tells the story of a homeless dog who is spotted on the steps of a cozy house one morning. He is taken in, given a bath and slowly but surely he makes himself at home. The children, all three of them, decide to call him Mooch—a perfect name for a little dog who is being hand fed underneath the kitchen table. Mooch finds his way into the family and at one point, readers mi ...more
zoe osime
Mar 29, 2010 zoe osime rated it it was amazing
a book about a stray dog who foung a home and he wonders around the house when everyone has gone out and he thinks they are going to sell him to the pound.

And this amazing book was all written in Haikus.
Dogku comes from two words dog and haiku.
Andrew Clements did a very good job in having the thoughts of a dog and it also relates to present day.

This picture-dog book is mostly for kids, poetry lovers and dog-lovers.
The illustrator did a very good job of describing the features of the story.

In Le
Desiree Reckner
Feb 13, 2015 Desiree Reckner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book is books about a homeless dog that finds a family to love and care for him. This story begins with a good hook on the first page to grab the reader’s attention through a question. This book makes you feel like you are the dog and you feel his emotions throughout the story. When I read this story, it created sensory images of sight, touch, smell, and even taste. I think that students would feel excited for the dog. The illustrations are charming and made by oil paints. This would be a g ...more
Cecil Chazhikat
Mar 29, 2010 Cecil Chazhikat rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dog Lovers and Poem Lovers
Recommended to Cecil by: My Teacher
I didn't really read Dogku by Andrew Clements, but last week in class, my English teacher read Dogku to us. I really liked Dogku, because it was a fun and educating book at the same time.

It's a fun book, because of how the illustrator, Tim Bowers, drew the expressions on the characters' faces. Another reason why it was a fun book was that it was a picture book.

It is educating in a way because it teaches the reader how to write a perfect haiku, in a way which is educating and fun.

The only con (n
Katherine Huff-Carrington
Simone
Oct 06, 2010 Simone rated it it was ok
Author: Andrew Clements
Publisher and Date: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers, 2007

Summary: This picture book is a haiku poem about a puppy's new life with a family. many animal lovers will enjoy this poem! It tells a story about the day in the life of Mooch, a dog, from the morning when he hates the school bus to the end of the day when he loves the school bus because the kids are home. This poem contains 17 haiku stanzas telling a light, happy story.

Review: If you are teaching studen
Becky
Sep 01, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
This delightful book is a narrative poem with each haiku poem linking together to form the story. The story begins with a furry mutt gazing into the back door of a suburban home. The story is written from the dog’s point of view. The family of three children takes him in on a trial basis, and so the reader experiences a full day of the family and the dog’s trials and tribulations [“Chew on dirty socks. Roll around in week-old trash. Ahhh…that’s much better.] as they see if they can adjust to one ...more
Jose Serrano
Mar 30, 2010 Jose Serrano rated it liked it
If you are looking for a book about a dog and haiku's look no further. Dogku is written by Andrew Clements. It's better than Lunch Money and Clifford. Mooch ,the dog,is being treated nicely ,and sometimes he is left alone because the kids have to go to the school bus. Mooch makes a mess because the mother is in the garden and he is bored.The only thing that I don't like is that it's all written in haiku. If Andrew would had written more ,the book might had been more interesting but ,since this ...more
Myrza
Jun 17, 2012 Myrza rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Clements, A. (2007). Dogku. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

Provides a crafty haiku style about a dog named Mooch. After this hungry looking dog arrives at the door of a family home, the mother sees him and takes him in. The mother tends to the dogs needs by feeding and bathing him. The kids get to meet him and give the dog a name, “Mooch”. The dog spends the day exploring his new home and takes a driving adventure with the mom, while the kids are off at school. The dog b
Chelsea
Mar 29, 2010 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers & childern
Recommended to Chelsea by: Mrs. Trost
Andrew Clements writes DogKu with great word choices and has an interesting way of formatting each page with excitement. Although very simple from start to finish, DogKu is completely readable to anyone at any level and is fairly amusing to a typical person like me, or to dog lovers and little children out there.

There is lots to brag about DogKu since the illustrations are very much realistic and the haikus brief enough to understand and admire. Despite the good qualities of DogKu however, the
Sharon Dillon
Nov 01, 2015 Sharon Dillon rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book for Week 7 Poetry
Dogku is a tale in haiku of an adorable dog trying to find a home. Tim Bowers is the illustrator and his illustrations are beautiful and colorful. It begins with the dog (later named Mooch) sitting on the porch of a lady's home who takes the dog in. Turns out it's a family with 3 children and they care for Mooch. Mooch gets into trouble making messes but in the end the dad brings in a dog bed and food-so Mooch finally finds his home.
The author, Andrew Cle
Patty Menjivar
"Dogku"? What's probably the first thing that pops up in your mindwhen you read this title? I really don't know myself. "Dogku" is a short book that is about dogs and is full of Haikus. Andrew Clemens, the author of this book made a great success on writing a book with only Haikus. I find that hard especially if you are trying to stick to one topic. I like the way the illustrator made the pictures match with the Haikus on every page.
I, myself could say that this book is practically for kids abou
Danny
Mar 30, 2010 Danny added it
Dogku was a simple story of a dog finding a home but was told in such a way that you really connected to the characters and want to read it over and over again.

It tells the story of Mooch, a dog with no home. He stays at a family's home and while they enjoy his company, they also become exasperated by the troubles that he brings. Eventually they plan on calling the pound but change their minds and buy him a new bed, toy and collar to keep him out of trouble.

Personally I enjoyed hte realism of th
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • In the Sea
  • Good Boy, Fergus!
  • BookSpeak!: Poems about Books
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...