Start by marking “The Knight of Maison-Rouge” as Want to Read:
The Knight of Maison-Rouge

The Knight of Maison-Rouge (The Marie Antoinette Romances #5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  878 ratings  ·  56 reviews
A major new translation of a forgotten classic
Paris, 1793, the onset of the Terror. Brave Republican Maurice rescues a mys-terious and beautiful woman from an angry mob and is unknowingly drawn into a secret Royalist plot--a plot revolving around the imprisoned Queen of France, Marie Antoinette, and her enigmatic and fearless champion, the Knight of Maison-Rouge. Full of
Published December 31st 2008 by Barnes & Noble (first published 1843)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight of Maison-Rouge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight of Maison-Rouge

Yasmin
Here is a novel that had oddly vanished from circulation in France, there is no real reason as to why it was neglected out of all of Dumas's works. There is no speculation. Was it because this particular story shows how favourably he viewed the royals at such a fragile time in French history even though by the time of his adulthood the Revolution was long past? As Lorenzo Carcaterra points out and as many Dumas readers are full aware he never uses accuracy in any historical sense. But then most ...more
Nakashi
While the story was intriguing and filled with suspense (I had to constantly remind myself that Marie Antoinette did not, in fact, survive), the translation left much to be desired. Was the translator trying to make it more 'accessible' to the modern reader? Phrases like 'Let's crush this bastard legally!' and 'Lawyers will have a field day with him!' had me cringing throughout.
There must be a better translation out there. There has to be.
Ashley
This has to be one of the most under-appreciated books from Dumas! A non-stop action-packed book from beginning to end with intelligent, witty prose, it has all of the fun, and little of the tedium of dinner table descriptions as Dumas was wont to do. The ending is incredible and should be quoted like Shakespeare. Anyone interested in the Reign of Terror will appreciate this book!
Misfit
The story begins in March 1793 as Louis XVI has been beheaded, Marie Antoinette and her children are imprisoned and the Committee for Public Safety has unleashed The Reign of Terror. Unaware of a curfew, a young woman is stopped by members of the National Guard but saved from arrest by Civic Guard office Maurice Lindey. The woman disappears into the night but the enchanted Maurice finally locates her, and becomes friends with Genevieve and her older husband (who finds Maurice to be useful in his ...more
Martina
The novel is set during the French Revolution, specifically during the so called "reign of Terror", France is at war against the rest of Europe, there's a royalist insurrection in Vendee and everyone suspects everyone of being a traitor. The protagonist is a young revolutionary officer universally considered a patriot and a model citizen.
The book has an interesting plot, it is terribly unfortunate that most of the characters I should have liked, and the protagonist in particular, are terribly, i
Dallas Doctor
I realize, of course, that this is "French Literature Lite," but I really enjoy these books. Rather guiltily, I plow through these stories of heroes and heroines, of nobility and honor and love and tragedy, and it's a great ride. I fully admit that it's not Hugo, but what can I say? I'm a sucker for Dumas too!
Mari Hardy
Extremely bittersweet and endlessly captivating. It's often hard to find a book that makes you smile through the tragedy, but alas, Dumas is a master storyteller and is therefore capable of the impossible.
Carole Rae
It was a nice ride. This book is like the ferris wheel at amusement parks. It's just a simple and relaxing ride. It's not the most popular ride, but everyone pretty much enjoys it. This is not Mr. Dumas' best book.

'The Knight of Maison-Rouge' is not a typical book I usually read. It heavily shows the Revolutionaries side and a little bit of Marie Antoinette's side. Too be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of this one. Yes, it did show a different viewpoint and it shows a very strong-willed and courage
J.
*Minor spoilers*

I must admit, I had this book on my shelf for about 3 years, and I tried to read, but as I was young and simply uninterested in history when I was younger, I was unable to read it properly. Now, History is my favourite subject at school and I started to read this book, promising myself to not put it down until I was at least 30 pages in.

You get what you would expect in a typical Dumas novel: sword fights, intrigue, betrayal, honor, and a tragic love story … a rather dramatic one,
Carla
I had such high expectations for this novel. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books. I didn't think I would be so disappointed reading this novel. It was a struggle to get through. Alexandre Dumas is, of course, a good writer. But this novel seemed to be missing a lot; I didn't even find the characters engaging. I wasn't intrigued by the plot he seemed to be trying to weave. I don't think he was trying to build sympathy for the revolution, but rather, for the love story. Even when ...more
Christina Dudley
Detailing the exploits of a valiant young man unexpectedly embroiled in Royalist plots to rescue Marie Antoinette, this novel would make a great movie. Like A TALE OF TWO CITIES, there are several mawkish, sentimental scenes (including the conclusion), but the fact that Marie Antoinette doesn't ultimately escape doesn't prevent Dumas from building suspense. The translation occasionally distracted me with its odd idioms--"bites the dust" was used twice without being the least bit tongue-in-cheek, ...more
Sarah Petty
Another great example of Dumas' perfect balance of action/adventure and slight humor. The ending was also very surprising!
This is the first Dumas I've ever read, and I really enjoyed it. It's about Maurice, a Republican who falls for Genevieve, a married woman. Genevieve is tied up in a plot, along with her husband and with the Knight of Maison-Roughe, to rescue Marie-Antoinette from prison. Maurice unknowingly becomes a party to the plot, putting himself, and his best friend, Lorin, in grave danger.

It was funny because even though I knew Marie-Antoinette's fate going into the book, I still wanted the Knight to su
Raina
Jon
Classic French bodice-ripper based around various plots to free the captive Marie Antoinette in French Revolution Paris. Bit slow to start and in danger of being as deathly awful and grim as Dickens' Tale of 2, from the same era. Its not easy to sit through grim as grim can be Paris with heads rolling left right and centre, im very loathe to pick up the lengthy Les Mis now. In Dumas style though, there is humour and it does reach a swashbuckling page turner pace for the 2nd half. Really not a pa ...more
Jessica Brockmole

Set during the French Revolution, this story centres around the imprisoned Marie Antoinette and a ring of royalists led by a shadowy figure calling himself the Knight of Maison-Rougue. Full of secret messages, hidden identities, attempted jail breaks, denunciations and executions.

Exciting story, but fairly predictable. It was obvious to me from early on in the book what all of the secrets were, and the fact that this was so transparent, made the main character, Maurice, look pretty oblivious.
Sam
This was my first foray into Dumas and I really enjoyed his style and this story about Marie Antoinette and her Knights of Maison-Rouge. You get all that you would expect from an Alexander Dumas book Paris, swordfights, intrigue, betrayal, honor and love, in a condensed 400 pages vs. jumping right into The Count of Monte Cristo with runs a whopping 1400+. I'm excited to read more by Dumas but I'll have to set aside several weeks for the other books, none of which seem to be under 1000 pages.
Lily
Amazing. Dramatic. Lorin is just a great character, he's so light-hearted and loyal. I fell in love with him almost instantly. Genevieve was alright, i guess, but her character was a little weak; I like Marie-Antionette better. I like Dumas's portrayal of The French Revolution and the feeling of the people involved, even though he does stretch historical fact sometimes.

The translation kinda sucked in some places, though, where modern phrases and words were thrown in. (Zounds? Wince.)
Brooke
Classic Dumas. It is set during the French Revolution, Marie Antoinette is in jail, and the Knight of Maison Rouge is determined to free her. The story was a fascinating lesson on the French Revolution and the craziness of that time. There's innocence corrupted, failed jail breaks, and a love story to boot. Spoiler: like other Dumas tales, this doesn't have a happy ending...but how could it? It was the French Revolution. Completely intriguing. Loved it.
Larry
I enjoy Dumas stories. All the history, swashbuckling and adventure of 18th century France. This book takes place during the French revolution and is a condemnation of it and its excesses. Against the back drop of a chaotic time it tells a love story of a Knight and a Revolutionary and the conflicts and issues that arise. It parallels A Tale of Two Cities in many ways but gives a different point of view. It is worth reading in my view.
Laurel Moran
*spoiler alert*: At first I couldn't put this book down (exciting schemes to save the queen, romance...etc.), then it bogged down a bit in the middle, and in the end, all of the main characters die (some take their own lives and three by the guillotine). A story of love and loyalty. Kind of weird that the Knight (the title of the book!) dies before the book ends.
Cone
I was really happy to find a Dumas in English in a Japanese bookstore that I hadn't read yet. Overall I really loved this book as far as the depth of the characters and the storyline itself, the only reason I didn't give it a higher rating was because I relate better to some of Dumas' other work such as The Count of Monte Cristo.
Helen Azar
Although not the best Dumas book, still, in the great tradition of The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask, this lesser known novel doesn't disappoint. I don't know how I missed it in my "All Dumas All the Time" childhood! But glad I finally caught up to it now. Definitely recommended for historical fiction fans.
Chandi Neubauer
Aug 26, 2007 Chandi Neubauer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who adores historical fiction
I read this book months ago and cannot get it out of my head. It is a love story, a tragedy and a tale of several daring attempts to rescue the doomed Marie Antoinette. As with all of his works, there is a great deal of detail and marvelous character development. I couldn't put it down...it's better than the tabloids.
Tracy
This book was better than I thought it was going to be but it was still a little too dramatic for me. I went to Paris and wanted to take a book that was set in Paris so I chose this one. It mentioned several places in Paris that I saw when I was there so I enjoyed it.
Marilyn
Dumas is a skillfull author, who has a moral subtly hidden within the story. This book is totally worth reading, even though you feel in the midst of it that he is a hopeless romantic - just make it to the end!!
Meghan
And... here, come and have a drink, Maurice. Let's get sozzled, let's move motions, and study political economics. But for the love of Jupiter, don't let's be in love, let's love only liberty.
Abby
ugh. maurice didn't know the girl he liked was in on it? really? it was so obvious from the first 20 pages that either maurice is an idiot or love is blinder for him than most.
This was a good book. I'd never read Dumas before... but it had such a bitter sweet ending... . Still, worth the read. I'd definitely read another Dumas book.
Paula Don
Like the black tulip, this is a great story and a wonderful way to gain a narrative view of French history. Totally a satisfying and engaging reading experience.
  • Trianon: A Novel of Royal France
  • AN Ideal Husband; A Woman of No Importance
  • Ambivalent Conquests: Maya & Spaniard in Yucatan 1517-70
  • Blood Royal
  • Lysbeth: A Tale of the Dutch
  • The Mysteries of Paris
  • Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, Book 7)
  • City of Darkness, City of Light
  • The Sea-Hawk
  • Belle Catherine (Catherine, #3)
  • In a Dark Wood Wandering: A Novel of the Middle Ages
  • The Gods Will Have Blood (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
  • Les Diaboliques
  • Foreign Tongue: A Novel of Life and Love in Paris
  • Whiteness of a Different Color: European Immigrants and the Alchemy of Race
  • Shadrach
  • Angelique in Revolt (Angelique: Original version #5)
  • The Toilers of the Sea
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no
More about Alexandre Dumas...
The Count of Monte Cristo The Three Musketeers The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3) Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances, #2) Robin Hood

“Crois-moi, on cherche mal quand on ne réfléchit pas.” 1 likes
“C’est que l’on a souvent pour ennemis des gens qu’on voudrait avoir pour amis.” 1 likes