A Brief History of India

A Brief History of India

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Dani鬯u's powerful rebuttal to the conventional view of India's history, which calls for a massive reevaluation of the history of humanity

• Explores historical occurrences from each major time period starting with the first appearance of man 30,000 years ago

• Couples the clarity and perspective of an outsider with the unique and specific knowl...more
Published February 11th 2003 by Inner Traditions

The Style Page
Alain Daniélou was a famous Indologist. He had an amazing life: read Shiv Sharan: Not Your Typical French Hindu.

I have read Part 1: Origins, which covers:

* The First Civilization: the Proto-Australoids (Munda)
* The Second Civilization: the Dravidians
* The Third Civilization: the Aryans

I have to say it's rather fanciful. Daniélou states that Shaivism predates the Vedas, whereas all other sources that I've read indicate the opposite. Furthermore, he perpetuates the Aryan Invasion Theory myth. He c...more
Johnny Cordova
I'm mostly interested in ancient history and found the first 40 to 50 pages of this book very satisfying (enough so that I am inspired to read more of Danielou's works). The rest is a well-presented overview of India's long line of empires, invasions, wars, occupations, and so forth. Interesting but not exactly my cup of tea. The book contains three maps. 30 would not have been too many.

Another reviewer complained that the book is emotional at times. I don't see that as a fault. I appreciate a h...more
Masen Production
I think this book is a little outdated YET its a great book that gives you a quick brief insights to Various eras of Indian History. The various important dynasties are elaborated in chronological order, various aggressors & settlers of our country are introduced.

In all a book that can be a handbook for light reading about Indian history.
Damian Satterthwaite-Phillips
I learned a great deal from this book... a very different picture of India than the standard one we get in the States. However, much of the book was presented more or less as long lists of facts with little attempt to put a human face on any of it, or get at motivations, which made for awfully dry reading for large chunks at a time.
Allen
Two stars for lack of maps and end notes. Four stars for all the things I learned I never knew before about the Indian sub-continent.
Seekordsiis
Interesting, but emotional and makes the reader dubious.
Geraldine Hettigoda
Geraldine Hettigoda marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Susmitha.devisetty
Susmitha.devisetty marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
treus
treus marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Chris Aldrich
Chris Aldrich marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Jonmad07
Jonmad07 marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Kelly Reid
Kelly Reid marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Liisa
Liisa added it
Dec 26, 2013
Gerda
Gerda is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2013
Alb_erto
Alb_erto marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Manoj
Manoj marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Sandeep Rai
Sandeep Rai marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Alain Daniélou :
1935-1948, études du sanskrit, philosophie, théologie, musique dans les écoles traditionnelles hindoues à Bénarès ;
1948-1954, professeur à l'université hindoue de Bénarès ;
1954 1956, directeur de la bibliothèque de manuscrits et des éditions sanskrites d'Adyar à Madras;
1956-1963, membre de l'Institut français d'indologie et de l'Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient ;
1963-1977, dire...more
More about Alain Daniélou...
The Myths and Gods of India: The Classic Work on Hindu Polytheism from the Princeton Bollingen Series Gods of Love and Ecstasy: The Traditions of Shiva and Dionysus Shiva and the Primordial Tradition: From the Tantras to the Science of Dreams The Phallus: Sacred Symbol of Male Creative Power Music and the Power of Sound: The Influence of Tuning and Interval on Consciousness