Start by marking “The Nipper” as Want to Read:
The Nipper

The Nipper

The Nipper Charlie's earliest memory at two and a half was listening to his dad batter his latest girlfriend in their Scottish tenement flat. Beaten and tortured by a violent alcoholic father in 70s' poverty-stricken Dundee, Charlie's early life was one of poverty and misery, but at least he had his best friend Bonnie a German shepherd puppy to turn to. Full description
Published November 2nd 2009 by Harper Element

To ask other readers questions about The Nipper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nipper

Charlotte
Jan 17, 2013 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books its shows how simple things can change life I wish everyone could be like that. We should make all troubled teenagers read this book it could be life changing.
Claire
Jul 31, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: 50-books-to-read
charlie is lucky to be alive after years of abuse he suffered from his father, it's shocking that this sort of abuse went on for years with no one doing anything. Stories like this make me grateful for my lucky upbringing.
Rachel Zylstra
May 12, 2010 Rachel Zylstra rated it it was amazing
So sad! Broke my heart to read about Charlie's childhood, but thank goodness he's a survivor. It's always terrible and heart wrenching to read about horrific childhoods.
Judy Moss
Apr 12, 2015 Judy Moss rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh and cry, Excellent read.
Deven Brophy
Jun 18, 2014 Deven Brophy rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book.
I'll tell you why.. It is lies!
Maybe not all of it, but I don't like being lied to if the cover says "true story"
Here is some proof if you do not believe me.
Page 14, he mentions being born November 1975. That's fine!
Page 22, he says his father held him out the window of the apartment saying "it's my Michael Jackson moment!" When he was only a few months old. Meaning this happened in 1975-1976..
HMMMMMM..
Michael Jackson didn't dangle his baby from a balcony until 2002 so
Peedie William
Jun 11, 2015 Peedie William rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book, firstly because it was a story which I could relate to, and it is based in Dundee, Scotland, where I work. It was reading this story which gave me encouragement to write about my own childhood. This book brought a lot of thought provoking questions about my past. A very well written account of the authors young life. I have recommended it to dozens of readers.
George
Sep 10, 2015 George rated it really liked it
This book is a bit of a eye opener. You don't think that something like the abuse dished out could go unnoticed in today's society, sadly this is just so.
A well written book, written by someone who has 'been there' and survived to tell the tale.

Reading this, you now understand why some kids turn into little monsters and why they are just that.
Danny Howson
Jan 15, 2015 Danny Howson rated it it was amazing
This book was really moving and such a good really glad charlie is happy now and i would love to know what happened to poor bonnie worth a read guys
Mags
Aug 29, 2012 Mags rated it it was amazing
Very true to life in Scotland in they days !
Jenni
Nov 16, 2016 Jenni rated it liked it
Marked the book as i liked it. How can you like a book about abuse and the fact that as you are reading it you feel frustrated and cannot help the child. Well i liked the fact it was a real life account, i liked learning about what life was like somewhere i have never lived and most of all i was made up that he came through it all and picked up the pieces as a survivor, and those are the best stories ever.
Don Ariff
May 29, 2011 Don Ariff rated it it was amazing
Well for someone who had been severely battered during his childhood, Charlie could actually write very well. Quite thrilling too!

This true story truly is heartbreaking especially for the bonding and love that Charlie and Bonnie the doggie shared. Very inspiring towards the end but definitely not when he himself started drinking, drug abusing and vandalizing.

At least in the end, he learned his lesson :)
Sammi
Sammi rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Lewisia
Lewisia rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Taha
Taha rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Steven Smith
Steven Smith rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Clare Mcatear-place
Clare Mcatear-place rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2015
John Jacob
John Jacob rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Karen Kirkham
Karen Kirkham rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Patsy
Patsy rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
miss sarah reynolds
miss sarah reynolds rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Tsundoku
Tsundoku rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Karolina Miliauskaite
Karolina Miliauskaite rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Sasha
Sasha rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Tracey
Tracey rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Rispah
Rispah rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Sharah McConville
Sharah McConville rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Hazell
Hazell rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012