Start by marking “The Numerology of Dr. Matrix” as Want to Read:
The Numerology of Dr. Matrix

The Numerology of Dr. Matrix

Selections from his Scientific American "Mathematical Games" column originally published from 1960 to 1967.
Published 1967 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Numerology of Dr. Matrix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Numerology of Dr. Matrix

Denabler
May 16, 2014 Denabler is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Mathematics and humour in the past have never to be seen mingling together... After I got introduced to Martin gardner through chance download over Thepiratebay, views, directions and perception on the whole changed.

Gardner is a man of information, after Dr. Doyle I find Gardner very interesting and humourous too. Give the book a read, you will find it pleasurable.
Michael
Aug 31, 2016 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've been working my way through Martin Gardner's books, and this one was quite disappointing. There was none of the math and few of the puzzles of his other books.

This book was actually about numerology. Sure, there is a very dry veneer of satire, but his own footnotes relate the large number of readers who actually took it seriously.

As numerology is the opposite of numeracy, so my rating of this book must be the opposite of those for his other books.
Jim Razinha
Oct 20, 2013 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful collection of number and word problems in vintage Gardner vein. I imagine some never realized he was playing, as I've seen the Kennedy-Lincoln bit for many years. And I've never stopped wondering how he had access to so much obscure information...and his analyses of the Bible - pre-computer database search days - are amazing.
Eddie
May 24, 2016 Eddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book by my middle school mathematics teachers. Sorry, don't remember much about it -- other than I liked it. Just going through old books...
Sergio Mira Jordán
Problemas matemáticos de (en ocasiones) muy difícil solución, sobre todo para el no versado. Sin embargo, el libro (un conjunto de artículos) no desfallece en ningún momento.
Edmark
Dec 21, 2014 Edmark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book which is unsurprising since it is Gardner's work. You don't have to be a math genius to be able to enjoy this book.
Soren
Jan 03, 2009 Soren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only a fun trip through numerology, but, provided me with a killer move which led to many a chess victory over unwitting opponents!
Frances Peterson
Frances Peterson rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Giacomo Boccardo
Giacomo Boccardo rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2010
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2009
David Gorgen
David Gorgen rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Rohomes
Rohomes rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Neil Carpenter
Neil Carpenter rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Gordon
Gordon rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2011
MWAD049a
MWAD049a rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Phil Scovis
Phil Scovis rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2010
Gabriel Otis
Gabriel Otis rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Tim Robinson
Tim Robinson rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2013
Grant
Grant rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Werty Gol
Werty Gol rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Jerry Elmer
Jerry Elmer rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2017
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Luciano
Luciano rated it it was ok
May 27, 2014
Brent Ranalli
Brent Ranalli rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Basilios
Basilios rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2012
Sean Ward
Sean Ward rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
Martin Gardner was an American mathematics and science writer specializing in recreational mathematics, but with interests encompassing micromagic, stage magic, literature (especially the writings of Lewis Carroll), philosophy, scientific skepticism, and religion. He wrote the Mathematical Games column in Scientific American from 1956 to 1981, and published over 70 books.
More about Martin Gardner...