Start by marking “Farewell to the Master” as Want to Read:
Farewell to the Master

Read Book

Farewell to the Master

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
When a mysterious ship appears at the US Capitol in Washington, freelance reporter Cliff Sutherland is there to see it. Two days later, two beings emerge, one in human form, the other an eight-foot robot. Are they here to help or hinder humankind?
Published 1930

Kat  Hooper
Mar 19, 2012 Kat Hooper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Farewell to the Master is the short story that forms the premise of the popular 1951 (remade in 2008) science fiction movie The Day the Earth Stood Still, in which an alien and his robot visit Earth to warn humans that their atomic weapons and violent tendencies will not be tolerated by the rest of the galaxy. Earth can get in line with peaceful galactic ideology, or be destroyed.

Not surprisingly, Bates’ story, which was published before atomic weapons wer
Darren Humphries
Feb 02, 2011 Darren Humphries rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The interest in reading this story because it spawned one of the greatest sci fi movies of all time (and no I don't mean the Keanu Reeves one)is probably much higher than the success of the story itself. It suffers from being a view of the future from the past and some of the predictions have gone in different directions or produced technology that would have made for a different story.

That said, it's not too long to strain patience and like all good shorter stories the final line has the sting
Amy Sturgis
Jan 20, 2016 Amy Sturgis rated it really liked it
This is the novelette that inspired the brilliant film The Day the Earth Stood Still, and it's solid vintage science fiction that stands up to time. Very much worth reading.
Alice Lee
Mar 06, 2014 Alice Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Farewell to the Master is a great example of your classic science fiction - gritty and simple. It does exactly what the classic science fiction genre tries to do, with the same characteristic flaws of the genre - that is, unadorned prose, two-dimensional characters, and naive view of society - but coupled with the strengths, which is the showcase of an idea. Perhaps the flatness of the classic scifi landscape is necessary, so that the readers can focus their attention on the one feature the auth ...more
Katie Herring
Jan 27, 2014 Katie Herring rated it really liked it
Woo, that ending was intense! I'm still not too sure what it meant...

I had to read this for one of my classes, and I believe this was a good choice to start the course of with!

This short story follows Cliff, a young photographer, and the two aliens who land in Washington, D.C. Throughout the story, suspense is built around Gnut's eery eyes, and the proposed movement of his limbs.

------

I finished this a few hours ago, and I'm still thinking about that ending. While this wasn't written beautifull
Susan Jo Grassi
Aug 26, 2015 Susan Jo Grassi rated it it was amazing
Klaatu Barada Nikto!

In 1940 Harry Bates wrote this Science Fiction short story about a God-like visitor from another planet and his companion, an 8 foot robot. The story, although it provided the basis for the 1951 film classic "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and the 2008 remake, is very different with a surprise ending. Definitely a must read for Sci-Fi enthusiasts.

By the way, the above alien language caption is found nowhere in the book.
Keith
Sep 14, 2014 Keith rated it really liked it
I read this classic story in the 1960's.
Bill Lynas
Jul 28, 2016 Bill Lynas rated it really liked it
I've always been a fan of the 1951 film of The Day The Earth Stood Still & it was a pleasure to read this story on which it was based. There are quite a few differences between the film & the story, but both are equally entertaining.
Ntharotep Dragon
Oct 07, 2012 Ntharotep Dragon rated it liked it
This book barely made it to three stars with me and did only because of the classic status the book has. I read this once I found out it was the (very loose I would say) basis for the Day the Earth Stood Still. It barely resembles that classic movie and, in this instance, I would have to say the movie was better than the book. It is rare that I say this but in this case it is true in my opinion (and only the classic movie, not the remake with Keanu Reeves thank you).
Seth Kenlon
Oct 19, 2012 Seth Kenlon rated it it was amazing
This story is the basis for one of my favourite movies, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and while it's a LOT different, it's very very good. I think of it in the same way that I compare Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and BladeRunner; both claim to be from the same source, but they're completely different and are best thought of as independent works. So it's worth a read whether or not you ever saw the film.
Ptaylor
Jul 30, 2011 Ptaylor rated it really liked it
This is a short story, and it's now available only as an ebook. I don't care for science fiction as a rule, but I really enjoyed this one. I've seen the movie based on it, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and I was told the story had a twist. It certainly did, and I never saw it coming. The film is a classic, but I wonder how it would have fared if it had been closer to Bates' story. Well worth the .99 I paid.
Anne
Jan 02, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing
Having seen both versions of the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still", I was very interested to read the story which inspired the movies. To be honest, the story puts the movies to shame. I've noticed that it has also been published in a book of stories which have been made into major motion pictures, but I didn't read it there. I read it on the internet at the url mentioned with the book.
Farah
Oct 02, 2012 Farah rated it liked it
Great story if you keep in mind that it was written in 1940. I was intrigued to read it because of the 1951 movie it inspired however, after reading it, I realized the movie went into a completely different direction. So I suggest an open mind and not to expect the same story as the movie. I thought the story's ending was a bit more shocking than the movie's moral-lesson ending.
Take Me To Your Reader
Dec 30, 2014 Take Me To Your Reader rated it really liked it
The story that inspired a sci-fi classic, and a less classic remake. We at the Take Me To Your Reader reviewed the book and films: listen in here!
Christopher Laughlin
This is the short story upon which "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is based; it is not as excellent as the 1951 version, but it is better than the remake. The "twist" at the end is not surprising, but the story is OK.
Jack
Feb 17, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it
Very good, but I am a big fan of TDTESS (the original, not the execrable Reeves remake). Quite different from the film, none the less an interesting read.
Patrick
Jan 28, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ideas
The original tale of the tragic visit to Earth by Klaatu, an emissary from space. Adapted into the 1951 film, “The Day the Earth Stood Still.”
Hunter Johnson
Farewell to Master, by Harry Bates. The short story that was the basis for The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Vince Cipriano
Nov 30, 2013 Vince Cipriano rated it really liked it
A very compelling read which was the basis for Edward H. North's screenplay for "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951).
Dustin
Jul 13, 2012 Dustin rated it liked it
Short and sweet. Neat but there was a lot of meat left on those bones.
Tyrran
Nov 29, 2010 Tyrran marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-obtain
I'm currently foraging through second-hand book stores trying to find this one.
Scott Weeks
Interesting concepts, and suspenseful, but not a great payoff.
Rhian Davies
Mar 22, 2013 Rhian Davies rated it liked it
Surprising story. The film bore no resemblance to this at all.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 23, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it really liked it
A nice story that inspired and birthed a great film.
Brittany
Nov 06, 2014 Brittany rated it liked it
3.75
Parker
Parker added it
Jul 27, 2016
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Dandelion Girl
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Land under England
  • Saint Returns (Thresl Chronicles #6)
  • That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made
  • Space Boy
  • Never Bet the Devil Your Head
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space
  • The Big Trip Up Yonder
  • Dutch Fairy Tales for Young Folks
  • King Kong
  • Life on the Preservation
  • Acts of the Apostles (Mind Over Matter Series)
  • What is Coming? A Forecast of Things after the War