Start by marking “Farewell to the Master” as Want to Read:
Farewell to the Master
Read Book

Farewell to the Master

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  22 reviews
When a mysterious ship appears at the US Capitol in Washington, freelance reporter Cliff Sutherland is there to see it. Two days later, two beings emerge, one in human form, the other an eight-foot robot. Are they here to help or hinder humankind?
Published 1930

To ask other readers questions about Farewell to the Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell to the Master

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Farewell to the Master is the short story that forms the premise of the popular 1951 (remade in 2008) science fiction movie The Day the Earth Stood Still, in which an alien and his robot visit Earth to warn humans that their atomic weapons and violent tendencies will not be tolerated by the rest of the galaxy. Earth can get in line with peaceful galactic ideology, or be destroyed.

Not surprisingly, Bates’ story, which was published before atomic weapons wer
Darren Humphries
The interest in reading this story because it spawned one of the greatest sci fi movies of all time (and no I don't mean the Keanu Reeves one)is probably much higher than the success of the story itself. It suffers from being a view of the future from the past and some of the predictions have gone in different directions or produced technology that would have made for a different story.

That said, it's not too long to strain patience and like all good shorter stories the final line has the sting
Alice Lee
Farewell to the Master is a great example of your classic science fiction - gritty and simple. It does exactly what the classic science fiction genre tries to do, with the same characteristic flaws of the genre - that is, unadorned prose, two-dimensional characters, and naive view of society - but coupled with the strengths, which is the showcase of an idea. Perhaps the flatness of the classic scifi landscape is necessary, so that the readers can focus their attention on the one feature the auth ...more
Katie Herring
Woo, that ending was intense! I'm still not too sure what it meant...

I had to read this for one of my classes, and I believe this was a good choice to start the course of with!

This short story follows Cliff, a young photographer, and the two aliens who land in Washington, D.C. Throughout the story, suspense is built around Gnut's eery eyes, and the proposed movement of his limbs.

I finished this a few hours ago, and I'm still thinking about that ending. While this wasn't written beautifull
Susan Jo Grassi
Klaatu Barada Nikto!

In 1940 Harry Bates wrote this Science Fiction short story about a God-like visitor from another planet and his companion, an 8 foot robot. The story, although it provided the basis for the 1951 film classic "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and the 2008 remake, is very different with a surprise ending. Definitely a must read for Sci-Fi enthusiasts.

By the way, the above alien language caption is found nowhere in the book.
I read this classic story in the 1960's.
Ntharotep Dragon
This book barely made it to three stars with me and did only because of the classic status the book has. I read this once I found out it was the (very loose I would say) basis for the Day the Earth Stood Still. It barely resembles that classic movie and, in this instance, I would have to say the movie was better than the book. It is rare that I say this but in this case it is true in my opinion (and only the classic movie, not the remake with Keanu Reeves thank you).
Seth Kenlon
This story is the basis for one of my favourite movies, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and while it's a LOT different, it's very very good. I think of it in the same way that I compare Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and BladeRunner; both claim to be from the same source, but they're completely different and are best thought of as independent works. So it's worth a read whether or not you ever saw the film.
This is a short story, and it's now available only as an ebook. I don't care for science fiction as a rule, but I really enjoyed this one. I've seen the movie based on it, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and I was told the story had a twist. It certainly did, and I never saw it coming. The film is a classic, but I wonder how it would have fared if it had been closer to Bates' story. Well worth the .99 I paid.
Having seen both versions of the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still", I was very interested to read the story which inspired the movies. To be honest, the story puts the movies to shame. I've noticed that it has also been published in a book of stories which have been made into major motion pictures, but I didn't read it there. I read it on the internet at the url mentioned with the book.
Great story if you keep in mind that it was written in 1940. I was intrigued to read it because of the 1951 movie it inspired however, after reading it, I realized the movie went into a completely different direction. So I suggest an open mind and not to expect the same story as the movie. I thought the story's ending was a bit more shocking than the movie's moral-lesson ending.
Take Me To Your Reader
The story that inspired a sci-fi classic, and a less classic remake. We at the Take Me To Your Reader reviewed the book and films: listen in here!
Christopher Laughlin
This is the short story upon which "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is based; it is not as excellent as the 1951 version, but it is better than the remake. The "twist" at the end is not surprising, but the story is OK.
Very good, but I am a big fan of TDTESS (the original, not the execrable Reeves remake). Quite different from the film, none the less an interesting read.
The original tale of the tragic visit to Earth by Klaatu, an emissary from space. Adapted into the 1951 film, “The Day the Earth Stood Still.”
Hunter Johnson
Farewell to Master, by Harry Bates. The short story that was the basis for The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Vince Cipriano
A very compelling read which was the basis for Edward H. North's screenplay for "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951).
Short and sweet. Neat but there was a lot of meat left on those bones.
Nov 29, 2010 Tyrran marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-obtain
I'm currently foraging through second-hand book stores trying to find this one.
Scott Weeks
Interesting concepts, and suspenseful, but not a great payoff.
Rhian Davies
Surprising story. The film bore no resemblance to this at all.
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Contherine marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
  • The Dandelion Girl
  • Politician Won (Thresl Chronicles #3)
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Never Bet the Devil Your Head
  • That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made
  • Acts of the Apostles (Mind Over Matter Series)
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Space Boy
  • Blind Devotion (The Shifters #3)
  • The Defeat of Youth and Other Poems
  • Twelve Stories and a Dream
  • The New Death and others
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • The Big Trip Up Yonder
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
  • Untitled