Start by marking “A Gruta Gorgônea (Desventuras em Série, #11)” as Want to Read:
A Gruta Gorgônea (Desventuras em Série, #11)

A Gruta Gorgônea (A Series of Unfortunate Events #11)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  65,830 Ratings  ·  1,113 Reviews
There is nothing to be found in the pages of these books but misery and despair. You still have time to choose something else to read. But if you must know what unpleasantries befall the charming and clever Baudelaire children read on...

Unless you are a slug, a sea anemone or mildew you probably prefer not to be damp. But unfortunately the Beaudelaires encounter an unpleas
Paperback, 1st edition, 287 pages
Published 2005 by Cia. das Letras (first published September 21st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Gruta Gorgônea, please sign up.

Taj If u are reading to people try to add enthusiasm as to boring old word by word technique.were as if u are reading to urself u are free to choose how…moreIf u are reading to people try to add enthusiasm as to boring old word by word technique.were as if u are reading to urself u are free to choose how to read it
(less)
Dinah You could just go to the library, save up money, or try finding those free online book websites.

Deborah Markus
Jun 12, 2015 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
I’m listening to this as read by Tim Curry, which is all things awesome. However: if you’re doing the same, you might want to grab a physical copy long enough to look at the last several pages. Snicket includes six “To My Kind Editor” letters, and Curry doesn’t read them. Which is not his fault, because nothing is his fault, because Tim Curry is a rock god and if you don’t understand that you need to leave my house right now.

The reason Curry doesn’t read these letters is because he can’t. No, he
Richard Denney
Listened to this one on audio read by the amazing Tim Curry in a few hours and it made it a whole lot better. I feel like this was a bit of a filler book but I still enjoyed it. I don’t like Fiona (the tiny bit of romance in here was completely unnecessary and icky to me lol I'm not one for romance in MG.). That twist with the hook-handed man was pretty cool and Count Olaf was just as fucked up as he always is. I think I might check out more audio books in the future. I thought they weren’t for ...more
Katie
Jul 04, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gasped so loud on the last page that I woke up the hubby! Oh man, what a turn of events. I'm so proud of the Baudelaire orphans! Standing up to Mr. Poe like that, figuring out all the complicated riddles... so proud!! :)
Sara Williams
I really enjoyed the 10th volume of Lemony Snicket's series - I felt as if this story was finally taking some poignant turns, which made me care about the faith of these characters all over again. However, in 'The Grim Grotto', my lack of interest revives itself. I just didn't care about any of the new characters which were introduced and it felt to me as if Snicket is creating this huge snowball - and I have no idea where or when it is going to stop.
Anyway, two volumes to go.
Mark Lawrence
I continue my relentless 3*ing of the series, though this volume was significantly better than the previous one (The Slippery Slope).

Much of the action takes place on submarines. These submarines appear to contain cavernous, often rectangular rooms, although the first of them is encountered in a mountain stream... Later a submarine's window (yup, window) is repaired with chewing gum.

My science is further hurt by the claim that sonar of the type that puts a tracking dot on the screen works by lis
Nadine
Apr 11, 2016 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"How can someone so wonderful do something so terrible?"

That ending!!!! What?! I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book. Only two left and I think we're finally going to get some answers.
The Grim Grotto is action packed. The Baudelaire's find themselves on a submarine then in a grotto with poisonous mushrooms only to be left wondering what to do next and who to trust.

Full series review: https://todaysechos.wordpress.com/201...
Constadina
Mar 26, 2013 Constadina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
What can I say about these books?? For me they're so much more than children's books. Sure a child will probably enjoy them but I think you have to be older to fully appreciate the cleverness of these books and the genius that Lemony Snicket is. I think he's one of my favorite authors because he's clever, he's intriguing and mainly because he's sarcastic. One of my favorite parts of his books are the little poems he writes for Beatrice and of course his failed attempt to make us not read his boo ...more
Jamieson
Feb 05, 2009 Jamieson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the eleventh book in “A Series of Unfortunate Events”, we find the three young Baudelaire siblings in a grim bit of trouble, escaping from the nefarious Count Olaf by riding a toboggan down the Stricken Stream, hoping to find a sugar bowl before he does.

The Baudelaire siblings don’t know what is so important about the sugar bowl, only that it may mean the end of their troubles.Unsure how to get out of the Stricken Stream without drowning, the three siblings contemplate their fate. Violet, the
Abby
Jun 12, 2016 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're so close to the end of the series, so it makes sense that all the pieces are falling together. The Grim Grotto leaves the reader on the edge of their seats wondering if the Baudelaires will find the sugar bowl or if Sunny will survive being poisoned by a deadly mushroom. Just two more books, which I do not remember, so it'll all be new and exciting to me.
Jbb Lim
This would be my least favorite book of all in the series. It progresses with a lot of ramblings instead of focusing on the main plot. I know I did not enjoy this one as much as the others, however towards the end, there was a slight twist in which I kinda bump my ratings up just for that. Yes, my initial rating was suppose to be 2 stars. I did not hate this book per se but it kinda drags on for me.

No offense to many readers who enjoys this series, but I find this book has too much rambling goin
Melissa
Nov 01, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereads, read-2015
Only 2 more books to go in this series! I'm really enjoying rereading these books now I'm in my twenties, around 10 years since my original read. Am finding them a little slower, now I'm older, but still a lot of fun! Would recommend this entire series to people of all ages.
Lauren R.
Another good one! I remembered exactly 0 things about this book… Definitely an enjoyable addition to the series. I'll admit that I was questioning Klaus's intelligence a little bit at the end though.
Mel
Dec 28, 2015 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. I think I am tied for this one and book 6 for my favourite!
I just can't wait to be done this series.. my goal is to finish it before the clock strikes 12 on Thursday.
Charlotte
This book was the eleventh installment in Lemony Snicket’s series, A Series of Unfortunate Events. In this book, Violet, Sunny, and Klaus find themselves aboard a submarine, The Queequeg, with a crazy captain (who’s catch phrase is “Aye!”), his stepdaughter, and their overly optimistic cook. The three Baudelaires are eager to know what V.F.D. is, and they plan to attend a V.F.D. meeting with the crew. However, they are also preoccupied with finding the sugar bowl (the reason as to why the sugar ...more
Maru
Puedo afirmar con un 95% de seguridad que voy a llorar cuando me termine esta saga.
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Darren Hagan aka snazzlebooks
Another good book in the series. Only 2 left :(

I enjoyed this book (again) but I feel like it was a bit less exciting than some of the others. It had a few good twists and turns though. Looking forward to seeing how it ends :D
Amy
Apr 06, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Grim Grotto, the eleventh instalment of A Series of Unfortunate Events was a good read.

Violet, Klaus and Sunny are left to fend for themselves after being split from their friend Quigley while going down a treacherous waterfall. They eventually find themselves aboard a submarine thanks to Captain Widdershins, a member of V.F.D. and he helps them to find the sugar bowl before Count Olaf but obviously things don't go quite to plan.

I liked this instalment because it wasn't at all like any of
Taylor Ramirez
Lemony Snicket telling the truth: the water cycle is really boring.

Aye.

Fiona and Klaus are really cute, just like Violet and Quigley.

“‘Aye! If you find me the sugar bowl, I’ll allow you to marry Fiona!’
‘Stepfather!’ Fiona cried, blushing behind her triangular glasses.
‘Don’t worry,’ the captain replied, ‘we’ll find a husband for Violet, too! Aye! Perhaps we’ll find your long-lost brother, Fiona! He’s much older, of course, and he’s been missing for years, but if Klaus can locate the sugar bowl he
Celine
May 28, 2016 Celine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Though somewhat lacking in tension plot-wise, The Grim Grotto has incorporated moral ambiguity in an understandable and interesting way. I feel like the quality of these later books is higher than the middle bunch of the series - the jokes wittier, the writing tighter, the themes more complex. And again, an ending that leaves me wanting to know what lies in store for the Baudelaires next...
Kleinerrotfuchs
Apr 21, 2016 Kleinerrotfuchs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh WOW!! Goosebumbs all over me!! This book is amazing!
I cant tell much because its the 11th book in the series, but its the best in the series until now.
This book has everything you will wish:
- mystery
- excitement
- a kiss
- AYE!!
- a submarine
- a deadly mushroom
- funny dialoge
and one of the best endlines of all time :D
Jackie

My favourite novel of the series so far.
Iris
Feb 02, 2011 Iris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Da
Sep 08, 2009 Da rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-books
Chance led them to an acquaintance and Klaus' first love!- Of course Phil as well, or "Cookie" as captain named him. Their strengths and knowledge guide them as well as being a source of aid to Widdershins and his crew. A new voyage is set in motion! Undersea, undercover, understanding, underestimated, undefeateable...?

Sunny with Phil in cooking, Violet and Captain Widdershins at the ship, and Fiona in the company of Klaus working on maps or looking through books. Fiona who has an interest in my
Paola (A Novel Idea)
Originally posted at A Novel Idea Reviews

Rating: 3/5

A toboggan, floating precariously on an icy stream, is not a particularly pleasant place to be. Sadly for Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire, this is their current location. Not for long, however, because our orphans eventually encounter a seafaring crew on a submarine called the Queequeg, and while the crew can best be described as ‘volatile’, the Baudelaires are temporarily relieved to have found allies. What ensues is a quest for a sugar bo
Swankivy
Aug 14, 2008 Swankivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritebooks
Sheida
Jan 05, 2016 Sheida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was where I initially stopped reading the series (not by choice obviously) so, after 10 years, I'm really excited to finally be able to continue and actually finish the story and to find out where the hell Lemony Snicket is going with all these not-so-subtle clues.
Alayne
Feb 15, 2015 Alayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
3.75.

Digamos que me colgué un toque con este libro y estuve leyéndolo por días. Sí, a pesar de lo corto que es, al leerlo en epub con el celular me olvidaba a cada rato y como no quería perderme de la historia lo retomaba.

Hubo partes flojitas y otras muy interesantes.
Eso de que ahora, a partir del sexto o séptimo libro (no me acuerdo) cada vez se vayan revelando más secretos me gusta mucho, mantiene al lector pendiente y expectante.

Lo que más me gustó es que, de una vez por todas, tienen una es
Phillip
Jun 01, 2008 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 3 orphans would go undersea with a captain. The captain is part of the VFD organization that help people out. They go undersea and Count Olaf follows them. They are going undersea because they are in search of the Sugar Bowl. Then Sunny caught a disease on their way there. In order to cure this disease Sunny would have to eat wasabi. The submarine would then sink and they float all the way to this hotel. Count Olaf was also in the submarine and he floats his way up as well since they did not ...more
Bri
Jun 25, 2008 Bri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Lemony Snicket Fans
Recommended to Bri by: Mrs.Cook
This book was really cool to read. In this one(there are 13 in the whole series), you discover the horrible fungus called medusoid mycelium, and it kills you within the hour.
When Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire go to find a certain bowl, they get trapped in an underwater cave filled with the deadly fungus.
Back on their submarine, they find no trace of Captain Widdershins, and the siblings discover that Sunny's helment has been infested by Medusiod Mycelium. Count Olaf( the villan in all
YA Buddy Readers'...: A Series of Unfortunate Events - Starting'The Grim Grotto' on April 2nd 2015 115 86 Apr 11, 2015 01:03AM
The Nooks of Books: The Grim Grotto 1 3 Jan 28, 2015 03:53AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 2 Nov 08, 2014 09:17AM
best book in series 35 118 Jul 23, 2014 01:13AM
The Grim Grotto 4 27 Apr 07, 2014 12:13PM
quotablebookquotes: The Grim Grotto: An Overview 2 2 Jan 13, 2014 11:05PM
quotablebookquotes: The Grim Grotto: Chapters 12-13 2 2 Jan 13, 2014 11:03PM
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • The Edge Chronicles 9: Freeglader: Third Book of Rook
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)
  • Into the Mist (The Land of Elyon, 0.5)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • The Shattering (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #5)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • The Wanderer
  • Clarice Bean Spells Trouble
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)

“People aren't either wicked or noble. They're like chef's salads, with good things and bad things chopped and mixed together in a vinaigrette of confusion and conflict.” 6463 likes
“It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting.” 2607 likes