Good Enough to Eat: A Kid's Guide to Food and Nutrition

Good Enough to Eat: A Kid's Guide to Food and Nutrition

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Did you know that Carbohydrates supply most of the energy your body uses? You should drink at least 5 glasses of water every day? The mineral iron is found in foods cooked in iron pans? 3 slices of bread contain 200 calories? Jam-packed with fascinating facts such as the ones above, "Good Enough to Eat" is uniquely designed to satisfy kids' love of food, and their curiosit...more
Published February 28th 1999 by HarperCollins (first published February 12th 1999)

Nicole Doerr
This is the best non fiction book for children to explore food and nutrition. This was intended for preschoolers and school aged children. Lizzy Rockwell did an amazing job putting it into perspective for the audience. "Good Enough to Eat" explores, the functions of each nutrient (carbohydrates, protein, aft, water, vitamins, and minerals), how we digest, how much food we need, and all about calories. The illustration are extremely detailed and range from all over. They are colorful, fun and rel...more
Ruth Ann
Good habits should begin early! This book will help kids learn all about the food nutrient groups - carbohydrates, protein, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals. Then they can use this information, as well as that gleaned from the food pyramid to make healthy food choices for their bodies. Lots of information in this book is included in the pictures, especially which foods contain which nutrients. By using pictures and speech bubbles, lots of information is given to children in a format that they...more
Kathleen
This book explains complex ideas in a fun and simple way that is understandable for students. It tells students what foods they need to eat, what vitamins and nutrients are for, why it's good to eat breakfast, what a calorie is, and why you can't only eat candy. Good Enough to Eat can be used to introduce a science lesson on the food pyramid, but it can also be used in a literacy lesson. I will use this book in writing. Students will be able to draw pictures and write about the importance of eat...more
Dolly
Jul 19, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Decent picture book about nutrition. It's already a bit dated, as the USDA has released a new nutrition model, called Choose My Plate and even the pyramid has changed. But still, the basics are there and it encourages children to eat wholesome, nutritious foods and limit the amount of sweets and fats they consume. So any book that helps to reinforce what I'm trying to teach them is a hit with me.

The book offers the basics without being too informative (meaning not too boring), and with lots of...more
Samantha
Not as engaging as the companion book about bodies, but gets its message across. Food groups and recommended allowances are introduced as are fun recipes to try.

Text is too wordy for a proper read aloud. Watercolor and colored pencil illustrations. PreK-2.
Kodie
This book is a great example choosing one particular food over another because it is healthier for you and your body. For example choosing a carrot over a cookie.
The illustrations are great and having you wanting to choose the good foods over the not so good ones. Bright and colorful on each Page.
I could use this book in my classroom because it is a great tool to help children choose between what foods to eat and why they should be eating the healthier choices.
Kelsey Bigelow
A good read for early to mid - elementary school age students about nutrition and food.
Jen
Another good book with cute illustrations and creative descriptions to excite children about what nutrients are doing for the body. But once again, like so many authors of these types of books, Lizzy Rockwell gets caught up in the elements of the food pyramid and once again, gives fat a bad name and uses fat-free ingredients in the recipes she supplies in the back. ARGGGGG....I think I will need to make my own book!
J-Lynn
This book is dense with information about nutrition and how food effects the body. The information is written at an upper elementary level with intense content vocabulary like--esophagus, starchy, minerals, potassium, etc. However, the illustrations show very young simplistic cartoon children. I think there was a disconnect between the author and illustrator. Also, the food pyramid toward the back is outdated.
Heather
45 months - not everything in this book is completely accurate (dated) nor do we buy into carbs being that good for us compared to protein and fats but it's simple and easy for kids to understand and I think O got a lot out of it.
Becky
Author Lizzy Rockwell has put out another great non-fiction book young - middle-aged children. I admit that I learned a few new things, too! Her illustrations do a super job of complementing the text and clarifying the information.
Melissa
My girls loved this book. They learned so much, as did I. It explains things in a way that kids can understand. My kids are constantly telling my what their body needs and how they can get it. So great!
Mary
I think it's packed with a little too much information to digest (har) per page but overall it gives some great tips on eathing healthy and what is in our food. Perfect for preschoolers and early grades.
Laurel
Talks about nutrients & digestion with colorful pictures and characters. Little much for kids, but good way to explain what's in food that helps your body.
Ms. Manley
Good and clear explanation of nutrients. I used with first graders followed by a nutrition matching games on my SmartBoard.
Bonnie
Good introductory book for children learning nutrition vocabulary and the functions of certain foods in our diet.
Cyrus
Teaching children about nutrition at a young age is vital to healthy eating later in life.
Cece
Great book to read to students to discuss good nutrition and the food guide pyramid.
Teri
Pretty well-written about nutrition and digestion. We were pleasantly surprised.
Maria
Oct 03, 2012 Maria added it
good discussion of vitamins, proteins, fiber etc.
Becky
Very wordy, but great for K-1.
Colleen
Dec 21, 2010 Colleen added it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
Good for You! unit 7
Nonfiction
Sarah Hnarakis
Sarah Hnarakis marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Jenna Lynn
Jenna Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Mikolay Gheghenozian
Mikolay Gheghenozian marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Andd Becker
Andd Becker marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Busy Body Book: A Kid's Guide to Fitness  Hello Baby! Plants Feed Me A Bird Is a Bird Learn to Draw Simple Forms in the Home and Garden