Start by marking “Good Enough to Eat: A Kid's Guide to Food and Nutrition” as Want to Read:
Good Enough to Eat: A Kid's Guide to Food and Nutrition

Good Enough to Eat: A Kid's Guide to Food and Nutrition

Did you know that Carbohydrates supply most of the energy your body uses? You should drink at least 5 glasses of water every day? The mineral iron is found in foods cooked in iron pans? 3 slices of bread contain 200 calories? Jam-packed with fascinating facts such as the ones above, Good Enough to Eat is uniquely designed to satisfy kids' love of food, and their curiosity ...more
Published January 29th 1999 by Harpercoll

To ask other readers questions about Good Enough to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Enough to Eat

Nicole Doerr
Apr 13, 2012 Nicole Doerr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is the best non fiction book for children to explore food and nutrition. This was intended for preschoolers and school aged children. Lizzy Rockwell did an amazing job putting it into perspective for the audience. "Good Enough to Eat" explores, the functions of each nutrient (carbohydrates, protein, aft, water, vitamins, and minerals), how we digest, how much food we need, and all about calories. The illustration are extremely detailed and range from all over. They are colorful, fun and rel ...more
Ruth Ann
Jun 28, 2010 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy, health, nonfiction
Good habits should begin early! This book will help kids learn all about the food nutrient groups - carbohydrates, protein, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals. Then they can use this information, as well as that gleaned from the food pyramid to make healthy food choices for their bodies. Lots of information in this book is included in the pictures, especially which foods contain which nutrients. By using pictures and speech bubbles, lots of information is given to children in a format that they ...more
Kathleen
This book explains complex ideas in a fun and simple way that is understandable for students. It tells students what foods they need to eat, what vitamins and nutrients are for, why it's good to eat breakfast, what a calorie is, and why you can't only eat candy. Good Enough to Eat can be used to introduce a science lesson on the food pyramid, but it can also be used in a literacy lesson. I will use this book in writing. Students will be able to draw pictures and write about the importance of eat ...more
Dolly
Jul 19, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Decent picture book about nutrition. It's already a bit dated, as the USDA has released a new nutrition model, called Choose My Plate and even the pyramid has changed. But still, the basics are there and it encourages children to eat wholesome, nutritious foods and limit the amount of sweets and fats they consume. So any book that helps to reinforce what I'm trying to teach them is a hit with me.

The book offers the basics without being too informative (meaning not too boring), and with lots of
Samantha
Mar 04, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
Not as engaging as the companion book about bodies, but gets its message across. Food groups and recommended allowances are introduced as are fun recipes to try.

Text is too wordy for a proper read aloud. Watercolor and colored pencil illustrations. PreK-2.
Rachel
Anna
Some of this information is now very outdated.
Includes descriptions of outdated food pyramid concepts.
Kodie
Apr 30, 2013 Kodie rated it liked it
Shelves: edre-4870
This book is a great example choosing one particular food over another because it is healthier for you and your body. For example choosing a carrot over a cookie.
The illustrations are great and having you wanting to choose the good foods over the not so good ones. Bright and colorful on each Page.
I could use this book in my classroom because it is a great tool to help children choose between what foods to eat and why they should be eating the healthier choices.
Kelsey Bigelow
Jan 23, 2014 Kelsey Bigelow rated it really liked it
A good read for early to mid - elementary school age students about nutrition and food.
Jen
Mar 30, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Another good book with cute illustrations and creative descriptions to excite children about what nutrients are doing for the body. But once again, like so many authors of these types of books, Lizzy Rockwell gets caught up in the elements of the food pyramid and once again, gives fat a bad name and uses fat-free ingredients in the recipes she supplies in the back. ARGGGGG....I think I will need to make my own book!
J-Lynn
Jul 12, 2010 J-Lynn rated it did not like it
This book is dense with information about nutrition and how food effects the body. The information is written at an upper elementary level with intense content vocabulary like--esophagus, starchy, minerals, potassium, etc. However, the illustrations show very young simplistic cartoon children. I think there was a disconnect between the author and illustrator. Also, the food pyramid toward the back is outdated.
Heather
Feb 17, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, food
45 months - not everything in this book is completely accurate (dated) nor do we buy into carbs being that good for us compared to protein and fats but it's simple and easy for kids to understand and I think O got a lot out of it.
Becky
Jun 25, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
Author Lizzy Rockwell has put out another great non-fiction book young - middle-aged children. I admit that I learned a few new things, too! Her illustrations do a super job of complementing the text and clarifying the information.
Melissa
Jul 25, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
My girls loved this book. They learned so much, as did I. It explains things in a way that kids can understand. My kids are constantly telling my what their body needs and how they can get it. So great!
Mary
Jun 06, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
I think it's packed with a little too much information to digest (har) per page but overall it gives some great tips on eathing healthy and what is in our food. Perfect for preschoolers and early grades.
Laurel
May 09, 2011 Laurel rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Talks about nutrients & digestion with colorful pictures and characters. Little much for kids, but good way to explain what's in food that helps your body.
Ms. Manley
Feb 08, 2013 Ms. Manley rated it really liked it
Good and clear explanation of nutrients. I used with first graders followed by a nutrition matching games on my SmartBoard.
Bonnie
Dec 01, 2013 Bonnie rated it liked it
Good introductory book for children learning nutrition vocabulary and the functions of certain foods in our diet.
Cyrus
Apr 16, 2009 Cyrus rated it really liked it
Teaching children about nutrition at a young age is vital to healthy eating later in life.
Cece
Feb 14, 2010 Cece rated it it was amazing
Great book to read to students to discuss good nutrition and the food guide pyramid.
Teri
Nov 14, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: human-body
Pretty well-written about nutrition and digestion. We were pleasantly surprised.
Maria
Oct 03, 2012 Maria added it
good discussion of vitamins, proteins, fiber etc.
Colleen
Dec 21, 2010 Colleen added it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
Good for You! unit 7
Nonfiction
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Kristin Zueger
Kristin Zueger is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2016
Brenda
Brenda added it
Sep 14, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Carz A.-F.
Carz A.-F. marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • The Vegetables We Eat
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
  • Weird!
  • To Market, to Market
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • Author: A True Story