Start by marking “Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat: A Chanukah Story” as Want to Read:
Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat: A Chanukah Story

Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat: A Chanukah Story

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Sadie and her four little brothers are very poor and always hungry. On the first night of Chanukah, Sadie performs a generous act, and in turn receives a frying pan that cooks up sizzling hot, golden latkes on command. Sadie tells her brothers never to use the magic pan, but when she goes out one afternoon, the mischievous boys can't resist. They remember the words to star ...more
Published September 20th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat

Genee121
Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I’ve got latkes in my tummy what a delicious humorous story written by Naomi Howland. The story teaches a valuable lesson of being kind to others, charity, generosity, and receiving the same in return. It is about a girl named Sadie and her four younger brothers who are quite poor and always hungry. While out in the woods gathering fire wood for their stove at home, Sadie is approached by a little old woman. Sadie feels empathy for her and gives her the firewood she had coll ...more
Dolly
Nov 30, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun tale about a magical frying pan that makes delicious latkes. It reminds us greatly of the story Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola. It has the same storyline and the same inevitable cooking chaos and comic result. Our girls really enjoyed this story and we want to try the recipe for latkes that is included at the end of the story (see below.) There is also a note at the end that explains Chanukah and why latkes are a part of the holiday celebration.

Sadie's Latkes

This recipe makes about a
Emily
This Chanukah book portrays the importance of "Mitzvot," charity and generosity in the Jewish religion. It also reveals the negativity associated with greed in a humorous and fun way for young children. The illustrations in this picture book introduce foods and traditions associated with the Jewish religion as a whole, as well as foods and traditions solely related to Chanukah.
Heather
41/2-this is a nice addition to our Hanukah picture books. Very much like the Strega Nona story.
Robin
A fun, delightful read full of whimsy and good cheer.
Becca Holcomb
I used this book in a text set last semester. I really liked it, because it has a lot of culture within the story. If I was using this book in my class I would emphasize the food and place they lived in the story. This is a great mulitcultral book to have as a social studies lesson.
Amy
We love this book. I've just learned it is a retelling of a classic story - porridge, etc. (I've never read Stregna Nona which is also.) Anyway - this one is just charming and we LOVE latkes so even better. We read it every Chanukah and use the recipe to make the latkes too.
Samantha Penrose
I wonder if Hershcel, Hillel, Hayim and Max were invited to the Chanukah party that their mischief helped to create? (I also wonder if they learned their lessons and stayed true to their promises...afterall, they gave their word once and failed to behave....)
Amanda
This book is not about Chanukah or God at all. It's like Strega Nona meets a fairy tale, although it involves a traditional Jewish food (produced by magic, and not God's power). I was hoping to expose my kids to the basics of Chanukah, but this doesn't do that at all.
Miriam
This picture book is reminiscent of a Hans Christian Andersen tale involving porridge, but with a holiday twist. The concept is decent, but somewhere the storytelling and use of language falls flat for me, and has since I first read the book as a child.
Anne
Love this book!
It takes the traditional tale played with elsewhere (Strega Nona for example)and brings to it a magic frying pan that makes latkes.
Fun to read aloud...great language. Satisying story and illustrations.
Alaina Sloo
One of my favorite Hanukkah books to read for grades preschool - 2, about a magic pan that makes latkes but goes out of control when the wrong people try to use it.
Kim
Wonderful story celebrating Chanukah with a Russian Jewish version of the magic pot. Pretty, expressive illustrations.

themes: Chanukah, food, frying pan, latkes
Cheryl
Lively, colorful illustrations and delightful text makes this a fun book to read and share. Great moral of what happens when the brothers get greedy.

Kim
I LOVE this book…of all my kids' Hanukah books, this has to be the best. Great fairy tale, catchy writing, concise. I highly recommend
Suz
When Sadie leaves the boys alone in the house all the kids groan and say, "Oh no!" They know what is coming.
Theresa
tradition and family a good book for exposing hebrew traditions and culture
K
Grimm's "Sweet Porridge" retold with a Hanukkah twist.
Dharma
Very sweet book.
Marcia
Marcia added it
Jul 24, 2015
WCNS
WCNS marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Julia Schmidt
Julia Schmidt marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Abel Villasenor
Abel Villasenor marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Evita
Evita marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Fortress Medical
Fortress Medical marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Princess Says Goodnight The Matzah Man: A Passover Story ABCDrive! Better-Than-Best Purim, The The Mystery Bear: A Purim Story