Start by marking “Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #1)

Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Welcome to the world of Skylar Hoyt, a high school senior whose exotic Hawaiian looks have propelled her to the height of the "in" crowd, but who's no longer sure that's where she really fits. New friends, old friends, a reluctant romance, and a family crisis swirl around Skylar as she tries to keep it together and figure out who she really wants to be.Debut novelist Steph ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Me, Just Different, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, Just Different

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenTorrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Clean teen fiction (Christian)
69th out of 494 books — 528 voters
Salvaged by Stefne MillerIt's Not About Me by Michelle SuttonRisky Business by Nicole O'DellDare to Be Different by Nicole O'DellSwept Away by Nicole O'Dell
Issue-Driven Christian YA Fiction
16th out of 101 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Roseanna White
Skylar Hoyt has it all and doesn’t know if she wants any of it anymore. She’s the leader of the popular girls, has a boyfriend who’s off the cute-meter, is known for her exotic Hawaiian looks . . . and is seriously wondering what it all matters. A near-disaster at a party when she had too much to drink scares her back to the straight and narrow—but when her family’s tossed into crisis, she has to think it’s too little too late.

Her parents are constantly fighting. Her little sister confides a se
Cait Grace
Okay! I admit! I judged this book initially knowing it was “Christian”. (I’ve read a lot of super dodgy Christian-fiction books and, let’s just say, I avoid the genre like a tasty human to a crocodile. Um, okay, not my best simile but we’ll move on.) After finishing THE REINVENTION OF SKYLAR HOYT (what a title, though), I honest-to-goodness enjoyed it. (Let me huuuuug this book!)

So, reason #1 why I don’t usually like Christian books: they preach. On-and-on about quick-fixes that’ll solve life’s
Rachelle Rea
I just put down the last book in The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series. For the second time.

I can only remember one other contemporary YA series of novels that I have ever read. The Diary of A Teenage Girl series by Melody Carlson, the Caitlin O'Conner books. I read that series twice, too, but not within a few months of each other. In fact, I can't remember when was the last time I read an entire series (or even one book, for that matter) twice in half a year. My To-Read List is just that long
Tessa Hall
What I liked: I love how this story weaves real-teen issues into it's content, and isn't too in-your-face preachy. It was also a very easy read, and the spiritual side to this story seemed real, not too cheesy.

What I disliked: Sterotypical characters that weren't as developed as they possibly could've been. There wasn't anything special about the plot, really. It was just another chick-flick novel for teens about high school drama. Although it was an easy-read, Stephanie Morrill's writing was an
Arielle
This is what people need to be writing for teen girls! I love that it deals with realistic situations and relevant topics like drinking/smoking/rape/pregnancy/peer pressure that teens now days are surrounded by. Set it a typical high school setting, I found myself going back to my own teen years and relating to things going on in the book. A little stereotypical in some areas, so I have it 4 stars. I think the author could have been a little more creative in some things. A strong Christian messa ...more
EmmaTheAmazing
Don't just look at this book, look at the cover with the smiling girl and the school lockers in the backround. Don't just see the green flower or the discription on the back. Why? These traits don't begin to describe this book.
I know, I know. The typical 'don't judge a book by it's cover' stuff.
I will not lie. I picked this book up, not really expecting to like it.
I was so wrong.
This book is addicting and extremely well written. I honestly really liked it, and soon got started on the second one.
Abigail the Fangirl
I really enjoyed this book. Very interesting with some good life lessons. One thing I didn't like was Skylar's personality. She was just almost too bratty, and I really didn't like her. She barely ever had a good moment.
Sofia
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS
It's books like these that can make me want to stop reading all together. It wasn't entirely a bad book. It's just that I was so excited to read a book that wasn't completely centred around romance. By the middle of the book, Skylar and Connor were best friends, but definitely not in love. I liked that. But then, by the end, things changed and it was just like every other Christian teen book that I've read recently. Is it such an uncommon idea to have a guy and a gir
Summary: Skylar Hoyt's life changed the night she was almost raped. Vowing to be different, she stops partying and goes back to the youth group she had abandoned when she became popular. Her wild past continues to pull her back as she struggles with a jealous boyfriend, fighting parents, and a sister with a big secret. Will Skylar be able to find herself in the midst of all this chaos?

My thoughts: Although the book starts off shaky as the plot jumps around and the author tries to establish the m
Carman
This is a must-read for teen girls today. Me, Just Different reminded me of Michelle Sutton’s Second Glances series. Both this book and Michelle’s DEAL WITH ISSUES! I love that. Teens today are so deceived by the secular worldview of things, and books like this one are what they need to read. While still being fun, enjoyable reads, they really show the truth of things. They aren’t fluff, like most teen books are nowadays.

I cried SO hard! This book will really make you feel things. I felt so sor
Jill Williamson
When Eli rescues eighteen-year-old Skylar from a bad situation at a summer party, she is so relieved that she agrees to start dating him. But she is also making some life changes. No more parties, and she's going to start going to church. But her friends and family aren't making that an easy thing to do. Eli is always jealous and won't come to church with her, her little sister has a secret that Skylar is forced to keep, and her parents' marriage is falling apart. The last thing she needs is for ...more
Brenda
Me, Just Different by Stephanie Morrill is a young adult novel, and the first in a series about Skylar Hoyt. This one is very young adult, complete with teen angst, school days, and boyfriends. Skylar is a high school senior, who, after a bad experience the summer before, decides to make some big life changes. She decides to start going to church and to stop partying.

She has a hard time, though, because she's shallow, materialistic and self-centered. Oops, did I say that out loud? Oddly enough,
Fred Warren
In Me, Just Different, We meet Skylar Hoyt fresh from near-catastrophe—a party gone horribly wrong and a date-rape averted only by the timely intervention of a friend. Skylar knows she won’t get another second chance. Her life has to change. Now.

But how?

It’s easy to say you’re going to wipe the slate clean and make a fresh start. Actually doing it is more complicated, and “complicated” pretty much defines Skylar’s life. Her father’s a workaholic oblivious to Skylar’s plight. Her career-focused m
Rosie
Woah. This book is incredible. I related much more to Skylar than I thought I would. I mean, I've never gone to public school, smoked, or went to keg parties (thank the Lord.) But I knew how she felt being with a guy you weren't sure you liked--much less loved. Because I found myself in a situation quite similar to hers. Once I got into this book I could hardly put it down.

Now for more about the book. Skylar Hoyt finds herself changing after a close-call at a party. It's because of this close-ca
Michelle
Me, Just Different was well-written, insightful, and impossible to put down. It's the real deal in that it's an authentic representation of some serious issues. I zipped right through it. There was one point in the story where I cried real tears. That, for me, is a great sign that I cared about the characters. I was so into the story world that I felt something strong enough to be sad over. But it wasn't a depressing sad. It was a healing sad. Sometimes when your life is falling apart, that's wh ...more
Paula  Phillips
This book is all about how one moment in your life can cause a domino effect and though it may not seem it at the time , it always ends up being for the better. Meet Skylar , She has everything Friends, Popularity, Parties , The World at her feet until one day her world comes crashing around her . Her Family's falling apart , her sister has a big secret that no-one can find out and the family down the road have moved in and are too perfect too be true. Can Skylar re-invent herself without losing ...more
Angeline
It's hard to write good Christian young adult books without being too cheesy, but this book was pretty good. It had it's cheesy moments, but it was still fun and it was refreshing to read a book with morals. All in all, reading this book made me feel happy.
Siri
The girl who has it all.
That’s been Skylar’s image forever.
When really, it’s the girl who has it all falling apart.

Her parents marriage is on the rocks, not to mention the mess her little sister’s gotten into.
All on top of her own typical high-school-crap problems.
But things begin to change as Skylar realizes she can’t go on doing it alone, she needs God’s help, especially when it seems like everyone is letting her down.

In this ¬¬¬¬¬meaningful and thought provoking novel, author Stephanie Morri
Inge
Mijn tweede chicklit. Het boek gaat over een meisje die populair is op school, maar na een traumatische gebeurtenis geeft ze haar oud leventje op. Ze stopt met feesten, gaat terug naar haar oude vrienden en zoekt de steun van god. Ik vond dit een leuk boek om te lezen als tussendoortje. Het las vlot en ik kon me inleven in het hoofdpersonage. Ook stelde dit het typisch tienerleven voor. Persoonlijke issues, jongens dramas en familiecrisissen die Skylar haar leven niet makkelijker maakten. Deze p ...more
Tiana
The first half of the book wasn't all that intriguing for me, but the second half made up for it. While I didn't like the main character at first, I found that I did genuinely care about her problems and wanted to make sure she had a happy ending. The thing that I thought was handled really well was that it all seemed very realistic. The problems Skylar faces don't just go away with a wave of a magic wand. Some serious stuff hits the fan, and yet, the resolution at the end is believable. Not eve ...more
Sara Bennett
When this was a free ebook a little while ago I got a copy and I decided to reread it. I actually liked it better the second time around and while this isn't a super favorite of mine it is a really good book. And the author is super sweet :) If you are looking for a good Christian YA book to read this is a great one. It does have brief mentions of smoking, partying, and almost being raped as well as teen pregnancy. But it's a sweet story, I'll be picking up the next book in the series soon!
Jillian
I recently reread this book and I loved it once again! Stephanie Morrill does a fabulous job with captivating the reader. Skylar is such a memorable character and she remained in my head long after reading. Her story was a real page turner, and I couldn't help but wonder how she would get out of each situation. I found I related to Skylar, even though she didn't seem anything like me at first. This book has found a place on my favorites shelf. Highly recommended to all teen girls!
Cookielover
It's probably not heathy to get too attached to the characters of a book, but can you see that I actually was Skylar as I read? I mean, OMG, this woman can write, I'm thinking on page one. Then I'm at the middle of the book and all I want to do is throw it out the window because can you BELIEVE Jodi has the nerve to say that?!?!
Yeah, maybe not healthy
Anyway, I read this book like four times...ok, ten but its really an awesome book.
Abigail
This was pretty much the classic christian chick lit book. Personally I don't mind them, their great to pass the time but there wasn't really anything outstanding. So, that being said it felt like I was reading Melody Carlson but more mild. There were some radical things thrown in that usually don't hit the fan all at the same time but oh well. I found it to be a good casual read. :)
Morgan Lemke
This is the beginning of Skylar Hoyt's life. Her new boyfriend and the boy who really annoys her. Things cahnge and so do feelings for others. Your true friends might not be your true friends later on in life, but just be who you are. Unholy people can change into the most religious people around. And btw, Aaron didnt do it! read the third book to find out who really did.
Elise
Fine, quick read. Free on kindle, and the main character has my maiden name, so I thought I'd give it a shot. As a Christian novel, it was a clean read. Too much high school teenage drama (and lots of things that will quickly date the book, ie mobile phone calls vs texting) for me to want to read the remaining two books of this trilogy.
Ralene
I loved the first of Stephanie Morill's Skylar Hoyt series. Her skill for creating characters who are endearing, frustrating, and just plain real is exceptional. Her writing style really draws the reader into the moment and you experience everything right along with Skylar. Kinda scary being back in a teen's head, but so relateable!
Emma
Family issues. Personal issues. Boy issues. issues ga-freaking-lore. this whole book was about issues of various sorts. pregnant sister issues. more boy issues. flat tire issues. back-stabbing friend issues. clothing issues. church issues. smoking issues. the list goes on. Thankfully, many issues are resolved. still. meh. just meh.
Mary
Probably one of the worst books I have ever read! I'm sorry but it was! Skylar was such an annoying main character, all the other characters were so flawed that it wasn't realistic at all and the whole plot was Skylar whining about how her life was falling apart! Trust me there are much better books on the market!
Catherine Richmond
The summer before her senior year of high school, Skylar is almost raped at a party. She decides to change her life - quit smoking, quit drinking, and go back to church. But becoming a different person is more difficult than expected.

Oh the drama of high school relationships! I'm glad I escaped alive!
  • On the Loose (Katie Parker Productions, #2)
  • Romancing Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #3)
  • The Jerk Magnet (Life at Kingston High, #1)
  • Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)
  • The Summer of Cotton Candy (Sweet Seasons, #1)
  • The Wishing Pearl (Diamond Estates, #1)
  • The Miracle Girls (Miracle Girls, #1)
  • Match Point (Lauren Holbrook, #3)
  • It's All About Us (All About Us, #1)
  • Pressing Hard (Perry Skky Jr., #2)
  • Blessings in Disguise (Good Girlz, #2)
  • Southern Fried Sushi (Southern Fried Sushi #1)
Stephanie Morrill lives in Overland Park, Kansas with her husband and two kids. Her only talents are reading, writing, and drinking coffee, so career options were somewhat limited. Fortunately she discovered a passion for young adult novels and has been writing them ever since.

Stephanie is the author of The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series and The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet. She enjoys encouragi
More about Stephanie Morrill...
Out with the In Crowd (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #2) So Over It (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #3) The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet (Ellie Sweet, #1) Go Teen Writers: How to Turn Your First Draft into a Published Book The Unlikely Debut of Ellie Sweet (Ellie Sweet, #2)