Start by marking “Assumed Engagement” as Want to Read:
Assumed Engagement

Assumed Engagement

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This story continues after Chapter 36 in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. On his return trip to Pemberley from Rosings after his offer of marriage was refused by Miss Elizabeth Bennet, Mr. Darcy's carriage overturns, and he is rendered unconscious. Having written Georgiana previously that he was going to ask for her hand, Georgiana, thinking they are engaged, writes to E ...more
Published July 16th 2008 by Lulu.com (first published March 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Assumed Engagement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assumed Engagement

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
From the author's preface about this book: "It started out on paper to be only about seven chapters, but as I began to write, it grew and grew."

I really wished she had stayed at seven chapters, then I wouldn't have wasted so much of my damn time reading it.

I know what you guys are going to say, "You're reading a Pride & Prejudice fanfiction, you moron. Did you expect it to be good?" I KNOW THAT. I loved the original book (let's be honest, a good 90% of ladies who have read this book loved it
Bittobetty
Nov 04, 2014 Bittobetty rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: none
Recommended to Bittobetty by: goodreads list
Probably not the worst I have read, because I could finish it, but I did not like it, the truth to be told.

Spoiler!
First of all: Lisbeth?! Really?! I literally shuddered every time I read it,thankfully it was at the and of the book. And what's wrong with William? I know lot of the FF writers use Will, but... I don't know William just fit better for Darcy with me.
2. The wholly handkerchief thing was forced for me. As the story went along I came to terms with it, and accepted, but it was weird an
Kristen Marie
I rather like Kara Louise. I always have. Her writing can always improve, but her fun situations she comes up with and NOT over-the-top romance makes for a nice and easy read that will entertain you for hours! It's a nice breath of fresh air!

I've read this book multiple times, but since I have an issue with remembering what I've read, I continue to re-read books that are dear to my heart.

Assumed engagement starts after Elizabeth's refusal of Darcy's hand for marriage. On his way back home to Pe
Robin
Review Tally - based out of 5

OVERALL: 4 STARS

Story/Plot: 4 - This is another retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Another what if scenario taking place right after Mr. Darcy's proposal debacle. The story diverges from the original plot of P&P becoming original and yet DOES have the same thread and feel of Jane Austen's P&P.

Re-read Value: 3 - 50/50. I thought it was sweet, but do not know if I will re-read it. There is a chance though, so I will not put a lower rating.

Continue Series: 4 - Th
Kelsey
Christina
I ordered Assumed Engagement after reading the first two chapters off of Louise’s website. Her variation of Pride and Prejudice sounded so interesting, and when I was able to fly through the first two chapters without any issues with the plot line, Louise’s portrayal of Darcy and Elizabeth, or the writing, I ordered the book offline.

I’m not going to say I wish I hadn’t because the story was very diverting — the perfect read on a very dismal and dreary rainy day. But Elizabeth and Darcy they cert
Brenda
Probably for the first two thirds of this book it was a 2 star book for me but there were some lovely moments near the end that bumped up the rating.

My issue was that several of the characters in the novel were acting out of character and their characteristics weren’t always consistent.

In Pride & Prejudice Mrs Reynolds praises Darcy to Elizabeth saying that he is a lot like his father and is "just as affable to the poor." It is Mrs Reynold's glowing recommendation of Mr. Darcy as a master th
Leslie
This Pride and Prejudice what-if explores the results of Darcy suffering an accident after leaving Rosing following his proposal to Elizabeth. In this version he has uncharacteristically written to Georgiana to share his planned engagement and when; while unconscious, he calls out for Elizabeth his sister sends for his intended.

Mrs. Bennet is more than happy to pack her oldest daughters off to Pemberly and the game is afoot.

Upon his recovery Mr. Darcy is quick to disabuse his sister's error and
machinaheart
In Short: Assumed Engagement was entertaining and as light as I wanted it, but even though I enjoyed the divergent story line up to a point, it still did not feel as if I was truly reading about Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy.

In Detail:
THE MAIN CHARACTER/S And again it was the romance bit that tripped me up , somehow it seems that as soon as either of those characters are depicted as romantically interested in one another, they become a little bit out of character. Neither Elizabeth nor Darcy s
Megan
3 1/2 stars

I enjoyed this book very much, it was a different re-telling of the P&P story. After Elizabeth rejects Mr. Darcy's proposal at Hunsford, Darcy leaves and on his way back home he is in a carriage accident and is unconscious. Georgiana writes Elizabeth asking her to come to Pemberley to help Darcy regain consciousness, assuming that they are engaged as she had a letter from Darcy telling her that he was going to propose to Elizabeth. Of course, Georgiana didn't dream that Elizabeth
Maria
A funfiction and not a very well edited at this. At the beginning I was hoping that it would explore Bingley's weakness of character, but this hope was in vain. Darcy is everything he's not in Austen's book.

Overall this is very disappointing.
Staciel

This is my fourth book by Kara Louise, and for some reason, my least favorite thus far.

I really can't say why-- it was fine, really.
Katherine
Great clean romance of the regency era. This book starts from the point of Elizabeth declining Darcys marriage proposal and what if Darcy hadn't safely gotten home... what if he was in a coma and called out for Elizabeth and Georginia wrote to Elizabeth to come to them in Pemberley and what if Elizabeth went with Jane for the sole reason of trying to get Jane back with Charles. That is what this book is about! I loved how they still fought with words when he comes back from his coma, they still ...more
Irene
I bought this book after reading "Only Mr.Darcy will do" (that I absolutely loved) and at first I was disappointed.
I felt that Elizabeth and Darcy were just names on the page and not the characters I love so much. I found a lack of description and analysis of inner feelings.
However I don't like to give up a book before I reach the end. And I was rewarded for my patient! The story really improves page after page and I found myself glued to the pages till the end.
Altogether is a good book, entert
Jennifer Gentry
I absolutely LOVED this book! It began just after Elizabeth refused Darcy at Hunsford. On his way home from Rosings, there is a terrible accident that renders Darcy unconscious. Stemming from a misunderstanding, Elizabeth is summoned to Pemberley. What ensues completely changes the course of this beloved story. The author wove into the story quite a bit of chemistry between our two most beloved characters without the need to be explicit, which I appreciated. Any lover of P&P will find this a ...more
Tanya
I have spent time over the last 2 days reading "Assumed Engagement" and "Assumed Obligation" and enjoyed them both. I like this authors writing style and appreciate that she keeps the stories clean enough for me to allow my daughter to read them. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book and I enjoyed this adaptation. I liked the way Georgiana helped Darcy change some of his attitudes and behaviors too. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
lielabell lielabell
This isn't a bad book at all. I liked it lots. But... it had some weaknesses. The characterization felt off and, to be honest, Louise switches POVs way too often for it to be anything more than a three. I mean, I can understand switching every other chapter or one or two time per chapter, when there are clearly defined breaks in the plot. But switching POVs three times on one page? And having a POV switch mid paragraph? That's just sloppy writing.
Angie
I'm a huge fan of P&P variations, and this one didn't let me down. I have read two other books by Kara Louise and enjoyed them as well. While this particular story line didn't offer a whole lot of originality, I still liked the little twists and turns, and actually thought a few parts were laugh-out-loud funny. Looking forward to more by Kara Louise.
Alexa
I believe this was Kara Louise's first JAFF story, and a well thought out take on the "Darcy gets injured/Elizabeth nurses him back to health" storyline I have occasionally read. Her writing has become more polished with each new story she writes, so I still prefer "Something Like Regret" (now been republished under a different title).
Babs
Aug 27, 2009 Babs rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Jane Austen
I enjoyed reading this book very much there are a lot of different stories that try and carry on the great Darcy and Lizzy story. There were some grammatical errors that were driving me crazy, but once you get over that part of it the story is wonderful. I look forward to reading the next book in this small series.
Jessie Hartle
I enjoyed this Kara Louise variation of Pride and Prejudice. I was glad that Darcy wasn't unconscious for the duration of the book. I felt that the portrayal of Georgiana was a stretch from the actual Jane Austen character, but I enjoyed the departure from the norm. Overall I loved this book!
Maria Claudia
This is a good book, if you don't consider Jane Austen's P&P. Mr. Darcy, in this book, is so insecure, so paranoic. He walks with a handkerchief that belongs to Lizzie, he touches it, he smells it. It is not like the Darcy Jane Austen created. Nevertheless, it is a good romance.
Momsandeeaol.com Spencer
This was my favorite of the Pride and Prejudice "re-do's". I'm going to recommend this one to book club. I actually think I liked it better than Jane Austen's original as it showed more effort by Mr. Darcy to overcome his weaknesses and become a better man.
Marijayne Stegman
Loved this book! Kara Louise has a great flair for taking the P&P story and weaving different threads off of it. Very fun premise to this one. Loved how Georgiana was so instrumental in the story. Highly recommend.
Paola Herrera
Genial! Me encanta Kara Louise, de las mejores escritoras de variaciones y secuelas de P&P

Great! I love Kara Louise, one of the best writers of P&P variations and sequels!
Maryann
This is my first 'alternate ending' genre book. I enjoyed the development of the relationship angle. Not sold as to whether I enjoyed it more than the original though..
Niki
this is a good take on the 'what ifs' and a good incorporation of georgiana into the story (i hate when she's left on the sidelines). but i wanted more at the end, lots more.
Brigitte
I loved it! t s well written, the charaters have the same qualites as the original yet the turning point of the story is different. Do read it, you will enjoy i!
Natalie
I liked the idea of this book and I enjoyed the first third but then they changed Darcy's character a bit too much for me.
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • The Journey
  • Mr. Darcy's Refuge: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles)
  • Rainy Days - An Alternative Journey from Pride and Prejudice to Passion and Love.
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • A Walk in the Meadows at Rosings Park
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy An Honourable Man
  • Fate And Consequences: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • A Noteworthy Courtship
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • Bewitched, Body and Soul: Miss Elizabeth Bennet
  • Into Hertfordshire (Darcy's Tale #1)
520207
Kara Louise has been writing "Pride and Prejudice" novels since 2001. She has published 8 novels, 2 that were published by Sourcebooks Publications. She was born in the San Fernando Valley, just north of Los Angeles, but moved to Kansas in 1991. She lives just outside Wichita with her husband, sharing their 10 acres with an ever changing menagerie of animals. They have one married son who lives in ...more
More about Kara Louise...
Only Mr Darcy Will Do Darcy's Voyage: A Tale of Uncharted Love on the Open Seas Pirates and Prejudice Assumed Obligation Drive and Determination