Start by marking “How to Taste. Jancis Robinson” as Want to Read:
How to Taste. Jancis Robinson

How to Taste. Jancis Robinson

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Helps to learn the correct way to taste wine. This work also helps to learn how to recognise the popular grape varieties from Chardonnay to Riesling, Pinot Noir to Cabernet Sauvignon, and why you should choose a good sparkling wine over cheap Champagne. It offers advice on choosing from a wine list and how to match food with wine.
Published November 3rd 2008 by Conran Octopus (first published September 25th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How to Taste. Jancis Robinson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Taste. Jancis Robinson

Tim
Feb 13, 2015 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-drink
This was an informative and pleasant read that helped me get started on understanding different wine varieties. Robinson goes over the basics of tasting and identifying different wines. She has sections on the major grape varieties and wine producing regions. The book is well-illustrated with a number of photographs. I am definitely hanging onto this one and referring to it from time to time. At this point I have no plans to become a connoisseur, but, thanks to this book, I do have a better unde ...more
Wesley-James Robinson
Honestly when I was first starting out with wine I wish someone had told me to pick up this book. It is well written, easily approachable, uses standard english instead of jargon and defines things as you go. It also manages to avoid the pitfall of unintentional arrogance that can come through with wine books. Rather than listing off general ideas of what to explore where and leaving the rest up to the reader, specific wines and regions are mentioned. Variation in flavors are mentioned. Winemaki ...more
Cherie
Jan 20, 2016 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, wine
Good reference book
Dana
Jul 07, 2014 Dana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This looked like such a great book. I bought it quite a while ago and was so looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately it was just okay. There is a lot in the book that could easily be cut out and the info it did have was not all that helpful. I don't think it really taught much at all about tasting and analyzing wine. The best part of the book was the grape profiles. Bot overall I expected a lot more from Jancis Robinson who has such a great reputation. Maybe a different book from her would ...more
Gwen Brophy
Jan 30, 2008 Gwen Brophy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very easy to read, very approachable for people who don't know anything about wine. I enjoyed it and find myself looking at wine differently when we go out, all sniffing it and swirling it around in the glass. I still can't tell a Burgundy from a Bordeaux, but I think that's probably my fault, not the books.

It got a bit overwhelming towards the end when she started going into individual wine types. I suspect, over time, it will become more apparent.
Molly
Jun 22, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful introduction to the world of wine tasting. Jancis Robinson starts with a tutorial on how to see, smell and taste wines with suggestions for tasting notes. Then she does quick chapters on most of the varietals and describes various tasting exercises. Well written with updated information. I know I'll come back to this book for reference.
Tina
Apr 28, 2013 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-and-wine
I really enjoyed the first part. Jancis Robinson teaches readers how to taste wine. I like the "Practice" sections. Mrs. Robinson teaches you how to taste/recognizes sweetness, acid, tannins ...

The second part, is on the different grape varietals. Good, quick introduction to the world of wine.
Roblyn
Dec 09, 2011 Roblyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Supposed to be an unpretentious look at how to taste wine - probably hard to be an expert in a subject like this without sounding pretentious. I did enjoy parts of it and did learn a few new things - mildly interesting if you're interested in wine at all.
Phil
Jul 14, 2011 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wine-and-spirits
A short but well done "course" in how to taste wine - almost requires a couple of cases to open and sample, but it gets you thinking about more than good/bad, it helps you figure out what it tates like.
Tonia Mccutchan
Dec 15, 2010 Tonia Mccutchan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
trains even the most uneducated and novice wine enthusiast how to become an expert wine taster. Enjoyed reading and using the at home "practice" workshops provided for additional training.
Corrina
Jun 15, 2009 Corrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book, as always from this author!
Dayna
Aug 08, 2011 Dayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview. Good exercises.
Soso Done
Jan 22, 2013 Soso Done rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very informative.
Alexandra
Nov 29, 2007 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in wine, especially those who think they do not have the ability to taste
Shelves: wine
A classic!
Matt Kamm
Matt Kamm rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Minh Hồ
Minh Hồ rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Greg Gieber
Greg Gieber rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Ajit Tripathi
Ajit Tripathi marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Ponikvar Brian
Ponikvar Brian rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Shaun Culwell
Shaun Culwell marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Rosy Lu
Rosy Lu marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Solhrihm
Solhrihm rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Gil Jardine
Gil Jardine rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Brock
Brock rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
A
A added it
May 21, 2016
Justin LaMont
Justin LaMont marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Meghann B. Roberts
Meghann B. Roberts rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
  • World Atlas of Wine
  • What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers
  • Secrets of the Sommeliers: How to Think and Drink Like the World's Top Wine Professionals
  • The Wine Bible
  • The New Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia
  • Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy
  • The Settlement Cook Book: Treasured Recipes of Seven Decades: The Famous All-Purpose Cook Book for Beginner and Expert: The Way to a Man's Heart
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course: 2007 Edition
  • The Emperor of Wine: The Rise of Robert M. Parker, Jr., and the Reign of American Taste
  • Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer’s Tour of France
  • Cooking
  • Oldman's Guide to Outsmarting Wine: 108 Ingenious Shortcuts to Navigate the World of Wine with Confidence and Style
  • The Grail: A Year Ambling & Shambling Through an Oregon Vineyard in Pursuit of the Best Pinot Noir Wine in the Whole Wild World
  • Star Trek 365: The Original Series
  • Simple Chinese Cooking
  • The Funniest Thing You Never Said: The Ultimate Collection of Humorous Quotations
  • Complete Guide to Sharpening
  • The 1896 Boston Cooking-School Cook Book
Jancis Mary Robinson OBE, MW is a British wine critic, journalist and editor of wine literature. She currently writes a weekly column for the Financial Times, and writes for her website jancisrobinson.com. She also provides advice for Queen Elizabeth II's wine cellar.

Robinson studied mathematics and philosophy at Oxford University and worked for a travel company after leaving university. Robinson
More about Jancis Robinson...