Start by marking “Dangerous to know : Berbahaya untuk Dikenal” as Want to Read:
Dangerous to know : Berbahaya untuk Dikenal

Dangerous to know : Berbahaya untuk Dikenal

Sebastian Locke, a man who seems to be an ideal citizen, gives away millions from the family fortune to help those less privileged.
464 pages
Published January 1st 1997 by PT. Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1995)

Carol Storm
Feb 25, 2014 Carol Storm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the classic movie SUNSET BOULEVARD, doomed screenwriter Joe Gillis says, "it's interesting sometimes to see just how bad really bad writing can be. This promised to go the limit."

This book really does go the limit. Every time one of the characters starts talking about their feelings and experiences you feel like they're really putting you on. Like it's some kind of gag.

"Mother and father expected me to be successful. And of course I was. Fabulously so. And then I met her. The woman I had to
Lin Stepp
Mar 10, 2011 Lin Stepp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an interesting read! Each book section presented from a different characters' point of view....
and each new section surprised you, making you realize you didn't really know the characters as well as you thought! Loved the mystery threading through the book - and I'd have never have guessed the ending.
I think anyone would enjoy this one!
Anne Marie
Sep 13, 2012 Anne Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. I liked the different sections where you got the points of view of the characters. It was a bit predictable for me, though, because surprises in this book were similar to VC Andrews' plots.
Shirley
Jun 26, 2008 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Although in this book Margaret Yorke seems to be wanting to also deliver a moral lesson--will not divulge what as it may spoil the ending--the writing style made me not want to put the book down. Read it in essentially one sitting.
Chelsey Mrs.Horan♥
Feb 05, 2013 Chelsey Mrs.Horan♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This was probably one of the best books I have ever read! I honestly couldn't put it down! Towards the end almost every chapter mad my yell "WHAT?" in shock! Great book!
Ria
May 25, 2009 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really brilliant story with a big twist at the end.
Well worth reading.
Darlene Emanuel
Dec 12, 2011 Darlene Emanuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book very very good!
Joann
Feb 27, 2011 Joann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Read it this afternoon. Engrossing.
Dee
Mar 19, 2017 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like the mystery involved of whether philanthropist, Sebastian Locke, committed suicide or was murdered.
The twists at the end were mind-boggling.
The book was written in 5 sections, by 4 different people. It was interesting to read how each person perceived the others, how each person perceived the same situations, and how each person perceived Sebastian Locke.
Frau Ott
Feb 06, 2017 Frau Ott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bradford writes with confidence and skill about a wealthy man and the dynasty he has. There are secrets to be shared, loves to discover, and questions to be answered when Sebastian Locke commits suicide and those left behind try to understand why. An interesting read.
Schneehase
Klappentext:
Alle glauben an Selbstmord. Doch Vivienne Trent, Exfrau und Vertraute des Toten, hegt einen Verdacht. Die Journalistin beginnt Sebastian Lockes Leben zu recherchieren, und als sie in Frankreich auf die todkranke Gräfin de Grenaille stößt, weiß sie, dass hier der Schlüssel zur Wahrheit liegt. Doch es steht zu befürchten, dass die Gräfin entschlossen ist, ihr Geheimnis mit ins Grab zu nehmen…

Meine Meinung:
Dieses Buch hat eine Freundin von mir aussortiert und da ich nicht gerne Bücher w
S.J. Tyson
I had read books by Barbara Taylor Bradford previously, so I expected good things from this one when I purchased it. The tale of a journalist/writer, Vivienne Trent, who decides to investigate her ex-husband's death had great promise, but the book was very much a disappointment. The pace was slow, and I felt no connection toward any of the characters. Even though throughout I was interested in knowing whether the ex-husband had actually been murdered or committed suicide, which was the gist of V ...more
Noha El-Shami
يفاجئ انتحار رجل الأعمال المحب للخير ومساعدة الفقراء (سبستيان) زوجته
السابقة الصحفية بجريدة صاندى تايمز ويدفعها للبحث عن سبب انتحاره، وتلتقي في سبيل ذلك بقائمة من الأشخاص ممن كانوا يعملون معه في مؤسساته أو من أفراد عائلته أو عائلة الفتاة التي كان على وشك الارتباط بها

تسمع من كل منهم عن (سبستيان) كما رأوه وعرفوه لا كما عرفته وخبرته كزوج لها، إلى أن ينتهي بحثها بمفاجأة

الرواية مليئة بالأوصاف للأماكن ولمكنونات النفس البشرية

مستوى اللغة فوق المتوسط

توقعت في آخر (80) صفحة الكثير من الإثارة وخاصة وأن أراء
Rosaland Harris
Mar 17, 2016 Rosaland Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
It was a story of love, lust, envy and tragedy; also and excellent page turner. My favorite characters were Vivienne and Countess Zoe. Zoe went through so much with the Locke men and she was very strong. did not care for the entire Locke family. Jack was arrogant and at times, unfeeling all because he didn't want to take responsibility for his child with Catherine. Luciana was spoiled and selfish. By far the worst of all was Cyrus Locke because he was a rapist and he was ruthless. I enjoyed this ...more
Lavanya Nair
Oct 28, 2016 Lavanya Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lengthy but engaging story of human relations. The author sifts through various nuances of relationships to make a vociferous point about why it's important to label certain relationships. The story about a philandering philanthropist and how he ends up when one of such liaisons becomes incestuous forms the core of the plot. The author chose a language that's easy to comprehend. The story is explained in detail though I felt few situations weren't necessary keeping in mind the tempo of the sto ...more
Dorry Lou
I don't know what to think of this book, much less what to write about it. It Was racy, jealously, and some other things I don't want to mention as it would give some of the ending away. The main character Sebastian Locke is found dead. Everyone is baffled by his death. There are 5 parts to the book each of 4 on the main people of his life. One covers a person 2 times. I will say it held my attention most of the time, but I feel it was sorta a sick book.
Teresa
Mar 13, 2015 Teresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book in that the story is told by the points of view of four different people and very near the end it has the strangest, weirdest and most unbelievable twists I've ever read EVER. The characters, except for Vivienne were not very likable for me. And there were parts that just dragged on like where Vivienne described her chateau and Jack described the winery and vineyard, and Luciana when on about the portraits of her ancestors.
Lee
Boring and repetitive. Vivienne Trent, the former ward and ex-wife of Sebastian Locke, finds it difficult to believe that he took his own life. As a journalist, she begins to investigate what he had been doing the last week of his life. There was nothing to indicate what the ending would be until the next to last chapter which presented a raft of new information so outrageously unreal that I was inclined to throw the book in the garbage. Don't bother.
Carol Kraus
The book was just okay. I have read several of her books years ago. I had ordered this when I belonged to a book club and found it the other day on one of my shelves of unread books. The book was fairly slow getting into but got somewhat better near the end. The ending was sort of bizarre to me. It's not one on my recommended list.
Samantha
Dec 08, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: My sister
Was recommened this book by a family member.
I found the start of it very slow and was struggling to get into the story, 2/3 of the way through I found myself transfixed by a brilliant twist in the story.
Elaine Darlington
Rubbish really, bought it at a charity sale as remembered Woman Of Substance on TV . Real Hollywood crap but ok if you just want a bland holiday read. Won't be reading any of her others bit Barbara Cartland I would imagine!!
Fiona
Feb 27, 2015 Fiona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's ages since I've read a BTB and I'd forgotten how enjoyable and gripping they can be. Excellent family tale with a great twist that brings the story together. Look forward to renewing my relationship with BTB.
Rachel
Jul 24, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised that I actually liked this book. I didn't expect to and only read it because I found it lying around one day at a relatives house. I'd probably give it a 3.5 and I may end up reading one of her other novels one of these days...
Gail Longton Harper
Nov 13, 2015 Gail Longton Harper rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
It started quite slow but the end was interesting. Liked that it was written from several different people's points of view. A lesson in not being judgmental. I just wish there had been more substance to the story.
Charice Lind mehring
An intriguing story that takes you on a unique journey to find out exactly what caused Sebastian Locke to choose to commit suicide. The reason is not revealed until nearly the end of the book, which makes it so intriguing and a compelling read.
Jane Drager
I had a hard time concentrating on this book. Can't really figure out why. It's well written but for some reason, it kept losing me. Maybe a little too drawn out in places and not getting to the point quick enough.
Jo Layne Burch
Oct 14, 2016 Jo Layne Burch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A a of a mystery, loads of characters to keep you on your toes.a

A bit of a mystery, loads of characters to keep you on your toes. Good fast reading, recommended for a weekend.
Rae
Aug 04, 2008 Rae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An absorbing mystery involving questions of paternity and suicide. The author takes the reader to the very last page for the surprise ending.
Gina
Aug 09, 2012 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like some of the other reviewers mentioned, this book starts out slow but a twist 2/3 of the way through makes it definitely worth reading.
Stephanie Clarke
Feb 20, 2016 Stephanie Clarke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little bit ho hum as far as story line goes UNTIL the end. Wow, what a surprise which is why I have given it 4 stars.
  • Navy Grooms (Navy #4-6)
  • Against the Wind
  • Before and Again
  • The Innocents Club
  • The Skin Type Solution
  • The Laws of Attraction (Rose Cottage Sisters, #3)
  • The Hatbox Baby
  • Fortune's Hand
  • Tangled Vines
  • Learning To Swim
  • While My Pretty One Sleeps / Loves Music, Loves to Dance / All Around the Town
  • Too Much Too Soon
  • Silent Honor
  • Protected Hearts (Rosewood, Texas, #1)
  • The Dark House
  • Starting Over (Nugget, #4)
  • Fourth Procedure
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 30 bestselling novels, including The Cavendon Women, Cavendon Hall, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Woman ...more
More about Barbara Taylor Bradford...

“At the age of fifty-six Eleanor Stoddard was still a beautiful woman. She owned three hotels in France and another two in England. From nothing at all, she had built an empire. Eleanor had it all. Her one weakness was the young man sleeping beside her.” 3 likes