A Leg at Each Corner

A Leg at Each Corner

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  9 reviews

An unflinching student of pony psychology, Norman Thelwell's hilarious pony cartoons draw on a uniquely British source of humor. This welcome reissue of a classic book of comic equestrian drawings gives a timely reminder of the late master's peculiar talent.

Norman Thelwell's books include Pony Panorama, Pony Cavalcade, Top Dog and Magnificat.

Published May 1st 2005 by Methuen Publishing Ltd (first published 1962)

Jim
I've read this numerous times & it still makes me chuckle all the way through. It's a book about kids & their hunter/jumper ponies. Each page is a cartoon, usually just one frame, that is absolutely perfect. I grew up & raised my 3 kids with ponies like this, so it really speaks to me. It would probably be a great way for authors to learn a bit more about horse life, too.
Heather
I have owned this book since childhood. Timeless and still has me ROFL !!!
Valerie
Thelwell was so associated with equestrian cartoons that a Punch cartoon shows a disheveled child returning to the stable, with the caption: "...And to make things worse, Mr Thelwell was sitting right in the front row."

The stout, dappled ponies, often depicted in mid-buck, forelocks obscuring the eyes...far from inimitable (indeed, often imitated), and the often brilliant captions make Thelwell a fun read at any time.

I think I acquired both my Thelwell books used--at least, there's no dust cover...more
Katrina
I have loved Thellwell's pony cartoons since I got this book for Christmas when I was 8 or 9. Years later they still make me smile.
Agnes
Jan 07, 2012 Agnes added it
I LOVED this book - it was a hoot when I was a 13 year old, and it's still a hoot today.
Martyn Mccarthy
If you want a laugh to cheer you up, here it is. Brilliant!
Alyssa
Loved these cartoons.
MAP
It really is a shame that nobody knows much about Thelwell anymore. We own almost all of his books, but his horseback riding books especially just ooze charm and hilarity. The drawings manage to be cute, sarcastic, droll, and ironic all at the same time.
Marjorie
If you were ever a kid, and if you ever had a pony (or a horse for that matter) this book and subsequent ones, will send you off the chair and rolling on the floor laughing! And the illustrations.....priceless.
Shauna
Shauna added it
Mar 25, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Moni
Moni added it
Dec 23, 2013
Emily
Emily added it
Dec 10, 2013
Mallory Clare
Mallory Clare marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Red
Red added it
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Norman Thelwell was an English cartoonist well-known for his humorous illustrations of ponies and horses. A promising young student from Liverpool College of Art, he soon became a contributor to the satirical magazine Punch in the 1950s, and earned many lasting devotees by illustrating Chicko in the British boys' comic Eagle.

Known to many only as Thelwell, he found his true comic niche with Pony C...more
More about Norman Thelwell...
Riding Academy Angels on Horseback Thelwell Country Thelwell's Pony Cavalcade: Angels on Horseback, A Leg at Each Corner and Thelwell's Riding Academy Thelwell's Pony Panorama: Thelwell's Gymkhana, Thelwell Goes West and Thelwell's Penelope