Start by marking “Twin Sense: A Sanity-Saving Guide to Raising Twins -- From Pregnancy Through the First Year” as Want to Read:

Although everyone experiences unexpected challenges with the arrival of a new baby, the parents of twins face their own unique sets of joys and frustrations. As the parent of three children under the age of six, including three-year-old fraternal twins, Dagmara Scalise knows firsthand just how daunting that all-important first year can be. Now, in "Twin Sense," she offers ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by AMACOM/American Management Association (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Twin Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twin Sense

Lynne
Jul 06, 2013 Lynne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I didn't really like the negativity this book started off with. It did get a little better as the book went on, but I still didn't really like this book.
Kelly
Jan 03, 2010 Kelly rated it it was ok
nice, easy checklists and a couple good ideas here and there but no need to own a copy.
Jen
Dec 06, 2013 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I got this to compare notes with another book on parenting twins, and I appreciated that it had a different take on some things. There is definitely less on the actual pregnancy part (in case you're looking for info there, this might not be the best resource) and more detailed information regarding the actual logistics of tasks-- grocery shopping, road trips, etc. For example, there is the suggestion of using a crock pot for a bottle warmer! While I would never go out and buy a crock pot for thi ...more
Denise
Feb 20, 2015 Denise rated it it was ok
Published in 2009, some of the information in this book is out of date. Some of it is easily dismissed, such as she suggests keeping remotes on the top of the television, which is no longer possible. Other information, such as suggesting twins share a crib, is no longer recommended. Doing so increases the risk of SIDS.

I am sure the author meant well, but the overall tone of this book is rather negative, with the implication that the reader should just accept that the first year will be torture,
Elena
Mar 04, 2010 Elena rated it it was ok
I'm having a hard time getting through this book. There are some good money-saving points in the book, but nothing that any savvy money-saving mormon momma of any number of children doesn't already know (i.e. the fact that Costco wipes are hands down the best deal out there - NOT a revelation). I was hoping that there would be more of a detailed guideline of the # of clothes/linen/gear that is needed for twins and better tips on managing tasks like feeding / napping / entertaining the kids at th ...more
Judith
Jan 19, 2009 Judith rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This is a very practical book. It takes away the fear of having twins. I picked it up because it was on display at the public library (my library has awesome displays). If God blesses us with twins, then I will definitely look for this book again. Many of the tips work well for a single child, or multiple siblings.

The table of contents is so thorough. I especially appreciated the list of "must haves" - how many car seats to buy (2-4) or swings (get one, and then see if both babies like it). And
Deborah
Nov 25, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: twins
This book provides a good overview of a lot of topics related to having twins. It's really well organized; each chapter starts with an introduction and an outline, then short and straightforward paragraphs for each piece of advice contained in the outline. The index is also helpful, so I imagine this book would be a good reference to have after having twins (mine aren't born yet).

I also appreciate that the book goes beyond the newborn phase and covers topics like how to travel with twins, how t
Elaine
Good info, but a lot of this is the same advice you'd give to a parent of a single kid. What I really liked was the advice on what to get two of and what to not bother with--it's different for twins, and they explain their reasoning very well. I really wished there were diagrams or illustrations of parents feeding/carrying twins. They describe what you have to do in detail, but without pictures it's hard to imagine!
Kami
Nov 29, 2010 Kami rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
Scalise gives a very practical look at issues facing parents of twins, especially focusing on pregnancy and delivery. There is a lot of good information, but still it feels like you are being prepped for a very difficult and hard time with all the things coming up and possibilities for complications. I guess it is good to be prepared, but I'd love to find something that is more positive.
Erika Palmquist Smith
Feb 26, 2012 Erika Palmquist Smith rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, parenting
You know what kinda sucks? This book. There is virtually no actual information, but a lot of snarky commentary on parenting with the general theme of "your life is going to suck for the next 2 years, so get used to it." I felt really disheartened about the whole "having twins" thing until I started reading other, more positive, articles and books. Not worth anyone's time.
A.L. Sowards
Oct 02, 2009 A.L. Sowards rated it really liked it
This was an easy, interesting read. It's mostly how the author's family handled having twins (they also had an older toddler in the mix when the twins were born). The book gave me some good ideas, but of course every family is different, so this shouldn't be the only book parents of twins read.
Elise
Mar 20, 2011 Elise rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Don't know yet how much this will (or won't) help me out, but can't hurt. I liked the ease of reading this book because there wasn't much medical/psychological jargon, it was all very straight-forward and basic with very elementary tips for those of us that don't have a clue what we're doing.
Lynn
Oct 11, 2011 Lynn rated it really liked it
Basic, straightforward, and to the point. Includes useful information and little filler that seems prevalent in many pregnancy books.
Karin
May 11, 2009 Karin rated it liked it
Shelves: grown-up, nonfiction
Wish I'd gotten this a little earlier - contains many helpful lists/tips which (by now) I've kinda figured out on my own. Straightforward talk about raising 2 wee ones.
Meredith
Aug 26, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing
What a great set of information about preparing for twins! It's especially helpful to know what to expect, and the list of what to buy two of (and what NOT to buy two of) is really excellent.
Esther May
This book had some good advise and things that I may remember, but overall it was just fine. I am looking for a great twin pregnancy, baby reference book and so far I have not found it.
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2010
Emily Linacre
Emily Linacre rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Gayle Frescoln
Gayle Frescoln rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2014
Lindsey VanHouten
Lindsey VanHouten rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2011
Angie.
Angie. rated it it was ok
May 20, 2009
Jill Bowman
Jul 12, 2012 Jill Bowman rated it liked it

My favorite of all the twins books. Only buy one...they say all the same things!
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Darlene
Darlene rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2011
J
J rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2013