Start by marking “The Moorland Cottage” as Want to Read:
The Moorland Cottage

The Moorland Cottage

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  48 reviews
The Moorland Cottage (1850) by Elizabeth Gaskell follows the life story of a very different sister and brother, Maggie and Edward Browne, children of the late curate of Combehurst, who live with their grieving widow mother in the moorland cottage of the novel title.For years Maggie, gentle, dutiful, and loving, does what she can on behalf of her brother, the overbearing an ...more
Published November 19th 2007 by Norilana Books (first published 1850)

To ask other readers questions about The Moorland Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moorland Cottage

Ali
Prior to coming upon this book recently, I had thought I had read all Elizabeth Gaskell’s novels and most of her short stories years ago, I re-read Cranford two years ago and loved it all over again. I was therefore both surprised and delighted to come across this short novel which I hadn’t either read or heard of. What a treat!
“If you take the turn to the left, after you pass the lyke-gate at Combehurst Church, you will come to the wooden bridge over the brook; keep along the field path, which
Magrat Ajostiernos
4,5/5

De las historias cortas de la Gaskell, mi preferida por el momento… ¡Me ha encantando! :)
Mona
Not as well-known as Gaskell's other works and rightly so. I found the first half extremely tedious as not much happens and the qualities of the characters are repeated endlessly: Maggie is good and unselfish and pure and steadfast and patient and...honestly? I really hated Maggie in the first half, and kept wishing she would grow a spine. The second half wasn't as bad because stuff happened but the plot is melodramatic and none of the characters undergo any significant development.

If you're go
Peggy
This was a great classic. I enjoyed the characters, rooted for Maggie and Frank, despised the unloving mother, and was torn over what to think of Edward. The imagery in the book is beautiful-you feel like you are there in the cottage, at the thorn tree with Maggie and feel the wind off the moor. Someday maybe I'll really get to experience the moors for myself! A triumphant feel good story. I give it 4 stars.
Sylvester
Although short, this book brings up a difficult question (one that perturbs our modern-day American culture of individualism in a way that it probably would not in other cultures and times), how much do our family members reflect upon us, and we upon them - and how much are we to sacrifice of our own needs for theirs? It's easy to dismiss Maggie as meek and spineless - but I don't know that that's true.
☆ Ruth ☆
I have read and enjoyed several of Elizabeth Gaskell's novels and so I started this book with fairly high expectations... unfortunately it's nothing like as accomplished as Cranford, North & South or Wives & Daughters. The overall tone is positively maudlin and the style of writing very old fashioned and melodramatic. It's a short novel but even so, I only managed about a third of if before I reached gagging point.
Phil Syphe
This novella was first published in 1850. The story is set over a period of about 12 years.

It features two families, one of which lives in Moorland Cottage. The household consists of a widow, her young son and daughter, and an old servant. The late husband/father used to be friends with the more wealthy Mr Buxton, who lives with his invalid wife, his son, and his niece. Because of the former friendship with the widow's late husband, Mr Buxton occasionally visits the poorer family and invites the
Alicia
Sweet little "Cinderella" story by a great author. It was short and simple and preachy and melodramatic, but I enjoyed it!

Quotes:

"Thus every hour in its circle brought a duty to be fulfilled; but duties fulfilled are as pleasures to the memory, and little Maggie always thought those early childish days most happy, and remembered them only as filled with careless contentment." -Chapter 1

"She had never before ventured into the world, and did not know how common and universal is the custom of picki
Sneha
I would have given it two stars if Maggie hadn't shown some spunk in the end. The imagery was nice! I could see the cottage and the moors. There were many unlikable characters (the mother, the brother) and although Maggie was virtuous I didn't really like her. She was simply nice and I wished her well as we parted ways amiably!
Marcela
Elizabeth Gaskell never ceases to impress me. This book is so beautiful, quiet and peaceful. The characters are passionate and well written.
Ana Luisa
Elizabeth Gaskell, una de las favoritas.

En esta novela corta, "La casa del páramo", Gaskell, en la sencillez de su prosa, nos relata la historia de una viuda que vive en un poblado pequeño con sus dos hijos y su desarrollo en el poblado campestre donde viven.
Maggie es la protagonista de esta historia, es fuerte y su fortaleza se refleja en la bondad y paciencia que ella muestra con los miembros del hogar que la tratan como una sirvienta o "la tonta de la familia".

¿Cómo lo haces Gaskell? En las p
Ibis3
This is a reconstruction of my original review which was lost the day before yesterday when the power went out just as I was typing the final sentence (aarrgh! that's twice that's happened now).

I wanted to enjoy this but found it kind of meh. The sexism of the beginning when Maggie and Edward are children made it difficult to read. There were a couple of times Gaskell sets up an expected motif and then surprises (e.g. we expect Ed will get the agent’s job and then take trusting Mr Buxton for eve
Nancy
This is one of Gaskell's lesser known novels and, while the writing is still there, the story is a thin Victorian melodrama.
It goes something like this -- wealthy landowner's son falls in love with virtuous, but poor, clergyman's daughter. (Clergyman, of course, is deceased.) Landowner is appalled his son is interested in this poor, but salt-of-the-earth young woman and has not-so-secretly imagined him to be married to his cousin. Said cousin could care less about wealthy landowner's son beca
Jenny
Feb 13, 2011 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Katherine Cox
http://gaskellblog.com is hosting a group read of this book. Luckily my copy arrived on day one and I was able to read chapter one and then read all the blog entries related to chapter one.

Here's the schedule:

Ch. 9

Day Six – Feb. 15th
Ch. 10
Ch. 11

I ended up reading ahead. I read at the group read pace until Day Five. I ended up reading Day Five
Pippi_tower
Preciosa historia aunque demasiado corta. Me hubiese gustado que ahondara más sobre la relación con la madre y sobre su enamoramiento con Frank. La trama esta muy bien, el final parece cortarse. Parece que intenta ser un final agridulce pero no siento ninguna pena al final. el lenguaje un poco enrevesado. .. a veces no sabes de quien habla o quien habla pero por lo de más, de fácil lectura.
Shuffy2
The Browne siblings could not be more different: sweet, mild mannered Maggie and rough, self-centered Ned. How are their lives affected when they are introduced to the Buxton family, a well-to-do country family?[return][return]The widow Mrs. Browne has high hopes for her son, yet cuts her daughter at every turn. Mr. Buxton takes an interest in Ned's schooling, while his son Frank and niece Erminia sympathizes for Maggie's ill treatment at the hands of her family. How far will Maggie go to keep p ...more
Emily Gushue
Mrs. Gaskell is the best. I want to have tea with her. There'd probably be a really nice cake.

As usual with her, the female lead was spunkier in the book than the miniseries. Tsk, tsk.

(There's no specific Moorland Cottage miniseries, but the plot was added to the absolutely stellar Cranford series to extend it)
Debbie Heaton
In Gaskell’s classic novel, she has created a family with complicated family dynamics which she expertly weaves around the mores and social problems faced by all Victorian women while emphasizing their strength and grace.

Beautifully written.
Meagan
I read this through Project Gutenberg, as I could not find an edition at any of my local bookstores. I was interested in it after having watched "Return to Cranford" recently. The story was just as lovely as William and Peggy's. I loved the heroine, Maggie. She had great moral courage and a strong determination to do right. She was selfless, generous, and humble - all qualities I'd like to increase in my own life. Her mother and brother were sufficiently vexing, as they should be. Frank was kind ...more
Lur Hall
Me ha gustado. Se lee rápido, amas a la protagonista desde la primera página y no desesperas demasiado con su abnegación, un peligro muy común (el de desesperarte por el constante sacrificio del personaje femenino) en este tipo de novelas. Se lee muy rápido. Es Gaskell, una apuesta segura.
Tiffany
I want to say this was a really sweet story--it was really sweet--but it went a lot deeper for me than just a nice little read. It presented a very interesting moral dilemma in which I'm still trying to decide if I would have done the same thing if I were in her situation. It's the dilemma between the degree of appropriate self-sacrifice for the good or "saving" of another and the degree to which one stands back to promote another's personal accountability and the experiencing of consequences al ...more
K.m.
Quiet, 19th cent. novella. A little preachy, but Gaskell's sense of humor and Maggie's eventual backbone assertion keeps things interesting.
Katherine Scott
Thank goodness this book had a happy ending, that's all I have to say.
Barbara
I enjoyed this short novella from Mrs. Gaskell, especially the particularly 19th century style ending!
Water
Cute Gaskell novella that you'll enjoy while reading, though it doesn't leave much of a lasting mark. The heroine, Maggie, is too-good-to-be true. The novel details the adversities she faces, and has a sprinkle of romance to boot.
Sue
I loved it. It was a quick read and not as intense as some of Gaskell's other works but delightful. It truly shows why she is such an acclaimed author. The word pictures and descriptions of scenery and emotions is amazing to the senses. You could actually picture yourself on the moors and enjoying the solitary moments with a favorite tree to meditate by. A surprise twist in the ending for me, yes rather abrupt, but still not what I expected.
Angela Barton
Having loved Elizabeth Gaskell's other novels I was a little disappointed in The Moorland Cottage. It's taken me a while to read it because I have read other books at the same time - so it obviously didn't hook me! There isn't the drama/action which I found in her other stories and I didn't particularly warm to her protagonist. That said, I still think she's a great writer, but this book was just okay.
Claudia
This is a novella rather than a novel, so it's a quick read. I gave it three stars mostly because I like Gaskell as an author. This was one of her earlier works, published in 1850, and doesn't measure up to The Cranford Chronicles or North and South. It is a little too sentimental for me.
  • Lesley Castle
  • Second Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow
  • Anna of the Five Towns
  • East Lynne
  • Marriage
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more
More about Elizabeth Gaskell...
North and South Wives and Daughters Cranford Mary Barton The Life of Charlotte Brontë