Start by marking “The Moorland Cottage” as Want to Read:
The Moorland Cottage

The Moorland Cottage

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  325 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
The Moorland Cottage (1850) by Elizabeth Gaskell follows the life story of a very different sister and brother, Maggie and Edward Browne, children of the late curate of Combehurst, who live with their grieving widow mother in the moorland cottage of the novel title.For years Maggie, gentle, dutiful, and loving, does what she can on behalf of her brother, the overbearing an ...more
Published November 19th 2007 by Norilana Books (first published 1850)

To ask other readers questions about The Moorland Cottage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moorland Cottage

Ali
Oct 09, 2012 Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prior to coming upon this book recently, I had thought I had read all Elizabeth Gaskell’s novels and most of her short stories years ago, I re-read Cranford two years ago and loved it all over again. I was therefore both surprised and delighted to come across this short novel which I hadn’t either read or heard of. What a treat!
“If you take the turn to the left, after you pass the lyke-gate at Combehurst Church, you will come to the wooden bridge over the brook; keep along the field path, which
Magrat Ajostiernos
May 22, 2015 Magrat Ajostiernos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clásico, 2015
4,5/5

De las historias cortas de la Gaskell, mi preferida por el momento… ¡Me ha encantando! :)
Peggy
Oct 02, 2011 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook
This was a great classic. I enjoyed the characters, rooted for Maggie and Frank, despised the unloving mother, and was torn over what to think of Edward. The imagery in the book is beautiful-you feel like you are there in the cottage, at the thorn tree with Maggie and feel the wind off the moor. Someday maybe I'll really get to experience the moors for myself! A triumphant feel good story. I give it 4 stars.
Bego
Jan 04, 2016 Bego rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sin duda, continuaré adentrándome en la literatura de Elizabeth Gaskell, tomando como punto de partida para mis juicios esta pequeña obra, repleta de los inconvenientes de su género, pero llena también de los trazos de una gran escritora".

Si quieres leer mi reseña completa, entra aquí: http://rustisymustis.blogspot.com.es/...
Mona
Not as well-known as Gaskell's other works and rightly so. I found the first half extremely tedious as not much happens and the qualities of the characters are repeated endlessly: Maggie is good and unselfish and pure and steadfast and patient and...honestly? I really hated Maggie in the first half, and kept wishing she would grow a spine. The second half wasn't as bad because stuff happened but the plot is melodramatic and none of the characters undergo any significant development.

If you're go
Lola M.
Dec 29, 2015 Lola M. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Demasiado cursi y sensiblero, con personajes maniqueos que se hacen inaguantables e increíbles: el mal absoluto o la bondad ínfinita no existen, lo mismo que las personas no son absolutamente aborrecibles o adorables en su trato diario.
No dudo que la autora tenga obras mejores, pero para mí esta es insufrible.
Montse Gallardo
Jan 17, 2016 Montse Gallardo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Me ha decepcionado un poco. Es cierto que se publicó como "cuento de navidad", lo que imagino que conllevaría una moraleja ejemplarizante en esa época, pero tanto la historia como los personajes me han parecido demasiado simples.

Al final el bien triunfa, después de sinsabores, luchas y tremendos obstáculos... pero da un poco igual.

Las tres estrellas son porque, a pesar de que la historia no me ha convencido, la forma de escribir sí me ha gustado
Sylvester
Although short, this book brings up a difficult question (one that perturbs our modern-day American culture of individualism in a way that it probably would not in other cultures and times), how much do our family members reflect upon us, and we upon them - and how much are we to sacrifice of our own needs for theirs? It's easy to dismiss Maggie as meek and spineless - but I don't know that that's true.
Ana Luisa
Jun 03, 2015 Ana Luisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Gaskell, una de las favoritas.

En esta novela corta, "La casa del páramo", Gaskell, en la sencillez de su prosa, nos relata la historia de una viuda que vive en un poblado pequeño con sus dos hijos y su desarrollo en el poblado campestre donde viven.
Maggie es la protagonista de esta historia, es fuerte y su fortaleza se refleja en la bondad y paciencia que ella muestra con los miembros del hogar que la tratan como una sirvienta o "la tonta de la familia".

¿Cómo lo haces Gaskell? En las p
☆ Ruth ☆
I have read and enjoyed several of Elizabeth Gaskell's novels and so I started this book with fairly high expectations... unfortunately it's nothing like as accomplished as Cranford, North & South or Wives & Daughters. The overall tone is positively maudlin and the style of writing very old fashioned and melodramatic. It's a short novel but even so, I only managed about a third of if before I reached gagging point.
Phil Syphe
This novella was first published in 1850. The story is set over a period of about 12 years.

It features two families, one of which lives in Moorland Cottage. The household consists of a widow, her young son and daughter, and an old servant. The late husband/father used to be friends with the more wealthy Mr Buxton, who lives with his invalid wife, his son, and his niece. Because of the former friendship with the widow's late husband, Mr Buxton occasionally visits the poorer family and invites the
Alicia
Apr 22, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet little "Cinderella" story by a great author. It was short and simple and preachy and melodramatic, but I enjoyed it!

Quotes:

"Thus every hour in its circle brought a duty to be fulfilled; but duties fulfilled are as pleasures to the memory, and little Maggie always thought those early childish days most happy, and remembered them only as filled with careless contentment." -Chapter 1

"She had never before ventured into the world, and did not know how common and universal is the custom of picki
Terri
Sep 23, 2015 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to, librivox
Maggie is a self effacing girl in every aspect of her life. Her mother loves her son more than Maggie and pines for her dead husband. Maggie's brother rules over her and she assumes it right to do whatever she is asked. She finds affection in the neighboring Buxton family and is given maternal love by the sickly matron who teaches her right principles. In the end, the story reads a bit like a morality play. Maggie gets all that she deserves because she is good and kind. Mr. Buxton shows mercy an ...more
Sneha
Jul 31, 2014 Sneha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it two stars if Maggie hadn't shown some spunk in the end. The imagery was nice! I could see the cottage and the moors. There were many unlikable characters (the mother, the brother) and although Maggie was virtuous I didn't really like her. She was simply nice and I wished her well as we parted ways amiably!
Dina
Dec 29, 2015 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorprendentemente bueno. Me lo imaginaba más cursi. Me ha gustado mucho que la protagonista sea una chica buena, rematadamente buena, pero que es capaz de decir no. Me parece refrescante para este tipo de novela. Volveré a leer a esta autora sí o sí.
Marcela
Jan 16, 2015 Marcela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Gaskell never ceases to impress me. This book is so beautiful, quiet and peaceful. The characters are passionate and well written.
Ibis3
This is a reconstruction of my original review which was lost the day before yesterday when the power went out just as I was typing the final sentence (aarrgh! that's twice that's happened now).

I wanted to enjoy this but found it kind of meh. The sexism of the beginning when Maggie and Edward are children made it difficult to read. There were a couple of times Gaskell sets up an expected motif and then surprises (e.g. we expect Ed will get the agent’s job and then take trusting Mr Buxton for eve
Nancy
This is one of Gaskell's lesser known novels and, while the writing is still there, the story is a thin Victorian melodrama.
It goes something like this -- wealthy landowner's son falls in love with virtuous, but poor, clergyman's daughter. (Clergyman, of course, is deceased.) Landowner is appalled his son is interested in this poor, but salt-of-the-earth young woman and has not-so-secretly imagined him to be married to his cousin. Said cousin could care less about wealthy landowner's son beca
Jenny
Feb 13, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Katherine Cox
http://gaskellblog.com is hosting a group read of this book. Luckily my copy arrived on day one and I was able to read chapter one and then read all the blog entries related to chapter one.

Here's the schedule:

Ch. 9

Day Six – Feb. 15th
Ch. 10
Ch. 11

I ended up reading ahead. I read at the group read pace until Day Five. I ended up reading Day Five
Pippi_tower
Jan 15, 2015 Pippi_tower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Preciosa historia aunque demasiado corta. Me hubiese gustado que ahondara más sobre la relación con la madre y sobre su enamoramiento con Frank. La trama esta muy bien, el final parece cortarse. Parece que intenta ser un final agridulce pero no siento ninguna pena al final. el lenguaje un poco enrevesado. .. a veces no sabes de quien habla o quien habla pero por lo de más, de fácil lectura.
Shuffy2
Sep 09, 2011 Shuffy2 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaskell
The Browne siblings could not be more different: sweet, mild mannered Maggie and rough, self-centered Ned. How are their lives affected when they are introduced to the Buxton family, a well-to-do country family?[return][return]The widow Mrs. Browne has high hopes for her son, yet cuts her daughter at every turn. Mr. Buxton takes an interest in Ned's schooling, while his son Frank and niece Erminia sympathizes for Maggie's ill treatment at the hands of her family. How far will Maggie go to keep p ...more
Carolina Morales
Mar 04, 2016 Carolina Morales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Victorian version of the Cinderella myth. Margaret (Maggie) and Edward (Ned) are left fatherless to be raised by a bitter, whinning widow whose attentions and affetions are only due to her male child. Eager to please her brother and maybe conquer some motherly approval, Maggie does every little effort possible to comfort her family in spite of herself.
Emily Gushue
May 26, 2014 Emily Gushue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Gaskell is the best. I want to have tea with her. There'd probably be a really nice cake.

As usual with her, the female lead was spunkier in the book than the miniseries. Tsk, tsk.

(There's no specific Moorland Cottage miniseries, but the plot was added to the absolutely stellar Cranford series to extend it)
Abrir un Libro
Dec 01, 2015 Abrir un Libro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La casa del páramo es una novela corta o cuento victoriano de corte romántico, publicado por primera vez como cuento de Navidad en 1850 para la revista que editó Charles Dickens hasta 1859, Household Words. La escritora y biógrafa Elizabeth Gaskell, amiga de Charlotte Brontë -de hecho publicó su biografía en 1857-, está considerada en la actualidad una de las mejores escritoras inglesas de la época.

Este relato entre melodramático y sentimental... http://www.abrirunlibro.com/2015/11/l...
Debbie Heaton
Feb 08, 2014 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Gaskell’s classic novel, she has created a family with complicated family dynamics which she expertly weaves around the mores and social problems faced by all Victorian women while emphasizing their strength and grace.

Beautifully written.
Meagan
Aug 14, 2012 Meagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this through Project Gutenberg, as I could not find an edition at any of my local bookstores. I was interested in it after having watched "Return to Cranford" recently. The story was just as lovely as William and Peggy's. I loved the heroine, Maggie. She had great moral courage and a strong determination to do right. She was selfless, generous, and humble - all qualities I'd like to increase in my own life. Her mother and brother were sufficiently vexing, as they should be. Frank was kind ...more
Sabrina
Me ha gustado bastante, la manera de escribir de Gaskell me encanta, está llena de descripciones pero te ayudan a meterte en la historia y a imaginarte esos paisajes tan bonitos.

La historia es un poco simple y típica pero al ser un libro cortito y bien escrito se lo dejo pasar.
Lur Hall
Jul 23, 2015 Lur Hall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Me ha gustado. Se lee rápido, amas a la protagonista desde la primera página y no desesperas demasiado con su abnegación, un peligro muy común (el de desesperarte por el constante sacrificio del personaje femenino) en este tipo de novelas. Se lee muy rápido. Es Gaskell, una apuesta segura.
Tiffany
Dec 09, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I want to say this was a really sweet story--it was really sweet--but it went a lot deeper for me than just a nice little read. It presented a very interesting moral dilemma in which I'm still trying to decide if I would have done the same thing if I were in her situation. It's the dilemma between the degree of appropriate self-sacrifice for the good or "saving" of another and the degree to which one stands back to promote another's personal accountability and the experiencing of consequences al ...more
Sarah Woodburn
Dec 27, 2015 Sarah Woodburn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad it ended relatively happily- there was a while I didn't think it was going to
  • Amos Barton
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • The Spell
  • Anna of the Five Towns
  • Married Love
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more
More about Elizabeth Gaskell...