Start by marking “The Grey Woman” as Want to Read:
The Grey Woman

The Grey Woman

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In fact, I dared not speak even to her, as if there were anything beyond the most common event in life in our preparing thus to leave the house of blood by stealth in the dead of night. She gave me directions - short condensed directions, without reasons--just as you do to a child; and like a child I obeyed her. She went often to the door and listened; and often, too, she ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about The Grey Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grey Woman

Katie
Jun 23, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Listened to this audio book free from librivox.org. The reader was decent considering it was just done by a volunteer. I enjoyed this gothic short story by Gaskell. I've read a remarkable romance/social commentary by her (North & South) and a humorous collection of stories in Cranford. This was different from both of them. Suspenseful and interesting.
Andrea Leon
Dado que este mismo año incursione en las letras de Mrs. Gaskell y las encontré encantadoras, decidí seguir leyendo sus historias.

Este es más bien un cuento que un libro y acaso tenga ciertas reminiscencias del clásico relato Barba azul. Sin embargo, pese a ser una historia corta está llena de emociones, el ingenio de la autora es tal que en menos de cien páginas logra condensar las porciones perfectas de aventura y suspenso, haciendo que en pocas hojas tu corazón sufra por la suerte de la prota
Amelmag
Oct 06, 2015 Amelmag rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kenya-reading, audio
I really enjoyed this. Suspenseful, creepy, with well-drawn characters, and a strong side-note of women saving women (even when they can't save themselves). Feels complete -- everything it should be -- despite its short length.
Margo
Nov 11, 2015 Margo rated it really liked it
This story gets a little weird
a modern version of bluebeard
I recommend it, take a look,
it's only a 3 hour audiobook
There's much this night to be feared
sabisteb
Apr 16, 2016 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörspiele, classics
„The grey woman“ ist eine ganz klassische gothic Gruselgeschichte.
Einer jungen, wunderschönen Müllerstochter wird der Hof gemacht, von einem charmanten, reichen Adligen. Es ist ihr erster Kontakt zur „Gesellschaft“ und sie begeht den unschuldigen Fehler diesem Mann zu viel Aufmerksamkeit zu schenken und ist verlobt, ohne je eingewilligt zu haben, weil man eben von ihrem Verhalten darauf schließt.
Sie liebt diesen Mann nicht, muss ihn aber heiraten und mit ihm auf sein Schloss in Frankreich ziehen
Rachel
Jun 07, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
I can't understand the low ratings for this story; I can only imagine people are expecting too much of it when, for what it is, it is a charming, even thrilling little piece which, although fanciful at times, is a quick and enjoyable read.
Tessa
May 11, 2011 Tessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
I really liked this one. I thought it was well told. The villain started out at the level of the duke from Browning's "My Last Duchess" but quickly got more sinister. A good quick story.
Christy
Nov 14, 2013 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
This was free on an audiobooks app I found to use while my audible credits reset. It was short and so so sad. =( But well written and the woman who spoke the words did a great job.
Z Coonen
Jul 04, 2015 Z Coonen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uk-authors
This is not a spoiler but a recommendation: if you listen to the Librivox audiobook it will behoove you to follow along with the written words at least for sections 2 and 3. Otherwise, the last paragraph of the story may leave you confused. Hint: names matter.

Moving on, I had to read this once and then skim again to figure out what I missed. Beyond that, there are some beautiful relationships that are hard to discuss without spoiling the story.

It is a most unusual story for its time, I believe,
Jul 25, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: librivox
A lot different than Gaskell's other books. This one's kind of spooky! It's an interesting story. Nothing really stands out as amazing, but it's entertaining.

I have figured out what the ending means!! She says that her daughter's sweetheart is the son of the murdered man. I don't really know what she means by telling her daughter all this, though. Does the fact that "your father murdered his father" mean that they can or can't get married? Is she trying to prevent the marriage, or is she just t
Kelvin Reed
Oct 14, 2015 Kelvin Reed rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version of The Grey Woman (Librivox audio), by Elizabeth Gaskell recently. The entire three-chapter story ran for two hours and twelve minutes. It was a fascinating tale written in 1861 that still holds up today: A middle class beauty’s reluctant marriage to a seemingly charming aristocrat launches her into a dangerous life from which she attempts to escape, aided by a resourceful servant/friend. Jane Greensmith’s narration is well done. Highly recommended.
Denise
Mar 06, 2016 Denise rated it liked it
A framed story with the main narrative story taking place about the time of the French Revolution. A young German woman named Anna finds herself pressured into a marriage with a minor French aristocrat. Only nothing is as first appeared and Anna is soon fleeing for her life and for the life of her unborn daughter.

Please read the full review here.
Claudia
Aug 17, 2014 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La mujer gris es una historia corta, atrapante, que te mantiene en vilo y con deseos de saber qué es lo que sucede a continuación sin parar hasta conocer el final, que es perfecto. Muy recomendable. Reseña completa por aquí: http://claudia-elmundoalrededor.blogs...
Natalie
3.5 statrs. I was in the mood to read an old Gothic tale, but didn't want to read anything too long. I came across this short story by Elizabeth Gaskell and decided to give it a read. I was a liitle confused at the beginning, but once it got going it was spooky and suspenseful. Written in 1861.
Kristen
Nov 20, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great short story! I couldn't read it fast enough. It was a great story full of mystery, creepiness, and ladies saving ladies! What more could you ask for? This is the first work I've read by Elizabeth Gaskell but it will not be my last!
Jessica
Aug 14, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a great little gem I found on Librivox--nothing like Elizabeth Gaskell's longer stories, but a fun, exciting Gothic story to listen to.
Claire
Apr 09, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
another queer gothic story. It is based in pre-historic times and the horrid of patriarchy of those times for one woman. Short and thrilling
Zolhanchs Landeo
May 28, 2016 Zolhanchs Landeo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un relato corto y fácil de leer, pero me dio mucha pena todo él sufrimiento que paso la protagonista y a su amiga. Me gusto como escribe Elizabeth sobre los sucesos.
Alicia
Jan 28, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this suspenseful gothic short story written in 1861. Elizabeth Gaskell is one of the best!
Terri
Sep 20, 2015 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to, librivox
A very good, suspenseful short story. I listened to the story and got very caught up. My only problem was that I didn't pay enough attention to names as the story progressed so when it ends with the revelation of a name, I was unable to understand the climax. I had to go find a print copy of the story before I finally "got it". Of course, that was my problem and had nothing to do with the quality of the story itself.

I listened again to this story (September 2015) and again missed the ending beca
Margo Brooks
Sep 03, 2013 Margo Brooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, fiction
I enjoyed this short story first published in 1861 and set in the last quarter of the eighteenth century. It was somewhat predictable, but it was fun and eerie. I wish that there was still a venue for this type of entertainment. While artsy stories that look deep into the human experience are great, sometimes adventure and fear are all you want. I can see how much fun it would have been to read this out loud to the family. Speaking, of reading out loud, like many others, I discovered this 50-pag ...more
Heather Natola
Mar 28, 2015 Heather Natola rated it really liked it
Interesting little story.
Bonnie
May 10, 2014 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I Listened to this Librivox recording of a short gothic tale and wasn't paying enough attention to the French names to get the "big reveal" at the end. The story was good but the narrator was annoying. I need to find a copy of the book and read it the old fashioned way then maybe I'll understand the ending.
Vanessa
Jan 04, 2015 Vanessa rated it really liked it
I have not been a huge fan of the Victorian Gothic novels I have read, but The Gray Lady has made me want to try more. My one problem was I struggled to keep many of the people straight (some of that was probably me not paying close enough attention), so when the end reveal came I was at a complete loss.
Becky
Really not Gaskell’s strongest works. It feels too convenient too much of the time when the women are on the run. There isn’t particularly outstanding about it. If you have a little time, it is a short story.
Latasha
Jun 19, 2013 Latasha rated it really liked it
A nice little short story. Like most I listened to the librivox recording. Everything was fine but also, like others, I didn't get the big reveal because I didn't remember all the names.
•*•.suprasixxcinco.•*•
Not a bad book for such a short read. I felt though; that "The grey woman" should have been a stronger character.
Phil Chenevert
Aug 19, 2011 Phil Chenevert rated it it was ok
Interesting but too forced for my taste.
Becky Nelson
Oct 18, 2011 Becky Nelson rated it it was ok
old english gothic, short, okay
  • That Affair Next Door
  • The Case of Jennie Brice
  • The Seventh Man
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • The Shelter (A Short Story)
  • A Dog's Tale
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • The Ordeal of Richard Feverel
  • The Abandoned Room
  • The Adventures of Zelda: A Pug Tale (Zelda, #1)
  • The Gardener's Year
  • A Hairy Tail (A Hairy Tail, #1)
  • The Imaginary Friend
  • Ivan the Fool
  • The Man Whom the Trees Loved
  • The Unbearable Bassington
  • La Morte Amoureuse
  • The Library Window
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more
More about Elizabeth Gaskell...