Start by marking “The Grey Woman” as Want to Read:
The Grey Woman

The Grey Woman

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In fact, I dared not speak even to her, as if there were anything beyond the most common event in life in our preparing thus to leave the house of blood by stealth in the dead of night. She gave me directions - short condensed directions, without reasons--just as you do to a child; and like a child I obeyed her. She went often to the door and listened; and often, too, she ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about The Grey Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grey Woman

Katie
Listened to this audio book free from librivox.org. The reader was decent considering it was just done by a volunteer. I enjoyed this gothic short story by Gaskell. I've read a remarkable romance/social commentary by her (North & South) and a humorous collection of stories in Cranford. This was different from both of them. Suspenseful and interesting.
Andrea Leon
Dado que este mismo año incursione en las letras de Mrs. Gaskell y las encontré encantadoras, decidí seguir leyendo sus historias.

Este es más bien un cuento que un libro y acaso tenga ciertas reminiscencias del clásico relato Barba azul. Sin embargo, pese a ser una historia corta está llena de emociones, el ingenio de la autora es tal que en menos de cien páginas logra condensar las porciones perfectas de aventuras y suspenso, haciendo que en pocas hojas tu corazón sufra por la suerte de la prot
Rachel
I can't understand the low ratings for this story; I can only imagine people are expecting too much of it when, for what it is, it is a charming, even thrilling little piece which, although fanciful at times, is a quick and enjoyable read.
Tessa
I really liked this one. I thought it was well told. The villain started out at the level of the duke from Browning's "My Last Duchess" but quickly got more sinister. A good quick story.
Christy
This was free on an audiobooks app I found to use while my audible credits reset. It was short and so so sad. =( But well written and the woman who spoke the words did a great job.
A lot different than Gaskell's other books. This one's kind of spooky! It's an interesting story. Nothing really stands out as amazing, but it's entertaining.

I have figured out what the ending means!! She says that her daughter's sweetheart is the son of the murdered man. I don't really know what she means by telling her daughter all this, though. Does the fact that "your father murdered his father" mean that they can or can't get married? Is she trying to prevent the marriage, or is she just t
Claudia
La mujer gris es una historia corta, atrapante, que te mantiene en vilo y con deseos de saber qué es lo que sucede a continuación sin parar hasta conocer el final, que es perfecto. Muy recomendable. Reseña completa por aquí: http://claudia-elmundoalrededor.blogs...
Claire
another queer gothic story. It is based in pre-historic times and the horrid of patriarchy of those times for one woman. Short and thrilling
Alicia
Really enjoyed this suspenseful gothic short story written in 1861. Elizabeth Gaskell is one of the best!
Margo Brooks
I enjoyed this short story first published in 1861 and set in the last quarter of the eighteenth century. It was somewhat predictable, but it was fun and eerie. I wish that there was still a venue for this type of entertainment. While artsy stories that look deep into the human experience are great, sometimes adventure and fear are all you want. I can see how much fun it would have been to read this out loud to the family. Speaking, of reading out loud, like many others, I discovered this 50-pag ...more
Heather Natola
Interesting little story.
Terri
A very good, suspenseful short story. I listened to the story and got very caught up. My only problem was that I didn't pay enought attention to names as the story progressed so when it ends with the revelation of a name, I was unable to understand the climax. I had to go find a print copy of the story before I finally "got it". Of course, that was my problem and had nothing to do with the quality of the story itself.
Bonnie
I Listened to this Librivox recording of a short gothic tale and wasn't paying enough attention to the French names to get the "big reveal" at the end. The story was good but the narrator was annoying. I need to find a copy of the book and read it the old fashioned way then maybe I'll understand the ending.
Vanessa
I have not been a huge fan of the Victorian Gothic novels I have read, but The Gray Lady has made me want to try more. My one problem was I struggled to keep many of the people straight (some of that was probably me not paying close enough attention), so when the end reveal came I was at a complete loss.
Becky
Really not Gaskell’s strongest works. It feels too convenient too much of the time when the women are on the run. There isn’t particularly outstanding about it. If you have a little time, it is a short story.
Latasha
A nice little short story. Like most I listened to the librivox recording. Everything was fine but also, like others, I didn't get the big reveal because I didn't remember all the names.
•*•.suprasixxcinco.•*•
Not a bad book for such a short read. I felt though; that "The grey woman" should have been a stronger character.
Phil Chenevert
Interesting but too forced for my taste.
Becky Nelson
old english gothic, short, okay
Ebby
Ebby marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Shruti
Shruti marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Lizzyb.
Lizzyb. marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Karen
Karen added it
Apr 30, 2015
Deanne
Deanne marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Eirini
Eirini added it
Apr 25, 2015
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Window at the White Cat
  • That Affair Next Door
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • A Dog's Tale
  • The Shelter (A Short Story)
  • The Imaginary Friend
  • The Man Whom the Trees Loved
  • The Ordeal of Richard Feverel
  • The Adventures of Zelda: A Pug Tale (Zelda, #1)
  • A Hairy Tail (A Hairy Tail, #1)
  • The Gardener's Year
  • Ivan the Fool
  • The Fruit of the Tree
  • Esther Waters
  • Lady Anna
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Snow Dance (A Dance 'n' Luv Short Story)
  • The Agony Column
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to socia ...more
More about Elizabeth Gaskell...
North and South Wives and Daughters Cranford Mary Barton The Life of Charlotte Brontë