Start by marking “Lonely Planet Thailand” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet Thailand

Lonely Planet Thailand (Lonely Planet Country Guide)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  339 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Nobody knows Thailand like Lonely Planet. Our 13th edition will have you soaking up the sun on the island paradises of the south, trekking among the hill tribes and riding elephants in Chiang Mai, discovering the ancient temples of Sukhothai and snapping up bargains or being pampered in a spa in Bangkok.Lonely Planet guides are written by experts who get to the heart of ev ...more
Paperback, 13th Edition, 820 pages
Published August 1st 2009 by Lonely Planet

Christiana Hadji
It does cover the basics, but I would never EVER take any Lonely Planet information for granted without double and triple checking it online from other sources. In my opinion all travel guidebooks should be conducted with the assistance of locals to eliminate mistakes and gaps. After reading Lonely Planet Cyprus (I'm Cypriot), I realized that this is not the case (lots of mistakes a local would never make, lots of important info missing) and since then I'm more skeptical about anything I read in ...more
Tammy Mckeever
I enjoyed it but when visiting my "kids" in Thailand they notes that much of the information was not accurate, at least in their area of Thailand. On the other hand I was able to share a lot of information they didn't know and that was fun for us all!
SUDIPTO BOSE
Nov 20, 2014 SUDIPTO BOSE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
detailed and lucid account of all you are to do in Thailand as a tourist.value for money.bit oriented to wealthy travelers.this is lonely planets top seller worldwide in country guides series.
Michelle Koen
Nov 30, 2010 Michelle Koen rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
The last few Lonely Planet books I've used have been a bit disappointing. Their recommendations seemed very average and the maps only moderately useful. We also found the that the walking tours where a lot of tramping around without much explanation.

Their explanation of the Thai language was helpful, however there were 3 different sections of the book we had to refer to depending on whether the phrases were food related (at the front), general inquiry (3/4 the way through) or glossary terms (in
Jorge Pelicano Paulos
May 25, 2014 Jorge Pelicano Paulos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
A beautiful country which definitely deserves at least a visit during a lifetime. This guide, however, shows up with some mistakes, reason why I always had to double-check its information before leaving to a specific place. Have in mind, though, that doing a personal research about specific details on Thailand transportations or attractions may be difficult and challenging.
Lramesh
Jun 06, 2012 Lramesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thailand is a fascinating country, which I always like to return. The people are always smiling! I picked up this book, though I have no plans of travel. Just to understand the culture more and relive my travels. Here are some of my comments of this country:

jess
I think I'm over guidebooks.
Löki Gale
Jan 17, 2010 Löki Gale rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Well...what can I say. It is a guide book.

Firstly, any guide book is going to have holes and of course, this one did. Nothing too big and nothing I could not figure out on my own, but after waking up at 5 a.m. to catch a supposed 6 a.m. ferry (and finding out that it did not start until 7:30) was a bit frustrated.

Overall, a great guide for a even greater country.
Monica DiNatale
Oct 02, 2013 Monica DiNatale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is tons of useful information in this Thailand book. Most things in Thailand are reasonably priced so it was very helpful to have recommendations of hotels and restaurants. The street food is amazing! The maps are soooo helpful when looking for a beautiful beach to check out. I picked Phuket. I am so happy they gave me the advice to take a cooking class too.
Nathan Eckman
Oct 24, 2012 Nathan Eckman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to go fact check any of their reviews and sources by visiting Thailand. But again, Lonely Planey is the ultimate travel source. It will show ya a bit of everything, even local "need to know's".
Donna
A useful and helpful guide to Thailand, although I find the Thailand edition doesn't give as good directions for taking transport between cities as other countries versions have done before.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series of guidebooks with a n emphasis not just on the big cities, and expensive restaurants but to more affordable and unusual destinations.
Melissa
[2011.12.07] Used 2009 13th Edition to plan the Chiang Mai portion of our Nov-Dec 2011 trip (approx 3 days). Though a little outdated, it was sufficient.
Jana Kaplan
Apr 26, 2012 Jana Kaplan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed it from the library, and it convinced me that i need to go to thailand :)
Toot
واو ... تايلند من المدن التي استمتع بقراءة معلوماتها ...

لا يفوووووووتكم ...!!
Kalua80
Dec 28, 2011 Kalua80 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved all the pictures and the writing style.
♥Xeni♥
Jul 16, 2010 ♥Xeni♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Read this for my trip to Thailand.
Taxmokkk Boonchot
Oct 04, 2007 Taxmokkk Boonchot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: very well
ahh ahh! read it by yourself
Joanne Raffell
Joanne Raffell marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Miss P Sillars
Miss P Sillars rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Katie Clarke
Katie Clarke marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Rebecca Jones
Rebecca Jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
linda curson
linda curson rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Kathye Handsaker
Kathye Handsaker rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
  • Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei
  • Cambodia
  • Ancient Angkor
  • Vietnam
  • China (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Italy (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo
  • India (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Nepal
  • Gary Vaynerchuk's 101 Wines: Guaranteed to Inspire, Delight, and Bring Thunder to Your World
  • Japan (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • 101 Places Not to See Before You Die
  • USA
  • Brazil (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Korea
  • Tony Wheeler's Bad Lands (Lonely Planet)
  • Berlin (Lonely Planet City Guide)
  • Rick Steves' Best of Europe 2007

Lonely Planet Country Guide (1 - 10 of 273 books)
  • Lonely Planet: Afghanistan
  • Algeria (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Argentina (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Argentina y Uruguay
  • Australia
  • Australia (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Australia (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Australia
  • Australie (Lonely Planet)
  • Austria (Lonely Planet Guide)