Start by marking “The Cowboy” as Want to Read:
The Cowboy

The Cowboy (Ladies and Legends #3)

The third in a trilogy--beginning with "The Pirate" and continuing with "The Adventurer"--of linked stories about three friends who each find love with three very unique--and unlikely--candidates.
Published May 1st 1990 by Harlequin Temptation (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cowboy

♥ WishfulMiss ♥
The Cowboy is the story of Margaret aka Maggie, who had her heart broken a year ago when she fell in love with a suit wearing, smooth talking cowboy who "used" her for inside knowledge against her than boss.

I didn't really enjoy this one, although I read to the very end, there just was nothing memorable about it. For our h to be a career romance writer I was expecting JAK's usual heroine who is a bit naive but charming in her romantic views of life. Sadly Maggie was too cold and plain old distr
Aurian Booklover
Mar 19, 2014 Aurian Booklover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her two best friends are both married now and Margaret is left alone in Seattle. Like them, she is a very successful author, and she enjoys her life and career. What she does not expect is to find Rafe Cassidy waiting for her in her own apartment when she gets back from Sarah and Gideon’s wedding. She really does not want to see him again after the way he broke her heart last year and used her in a business deal against her boss. But Rafe refuses to leave until she hears him out and gives them b ...more
Susan
Apr 23, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Good book. Rafe was definitely an alpha male. When he and Margaret split the year before, he spent the first six months being angry, then the next setting up a way to get her back. Margaret had been angered and hurt by what she saw as Rafe's using her as a pawn in a business deal. She did her best to forget about him. When he showed up at her apartment to lure her back, she had no intention of agreeing. Then he told her what was waiting at his ranch and she had to agree. She realized on her firs ...more
nurmawati
Jan 13, 2013 nurmawati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, cowboy
3.5 stars fot margaret and rafe
Jo
Apr 02, 2015 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I did enjoy this book, everything just seemed to happen so fast though. Everything before Margaret landing to have Rafe waiting to pick her up from the airport seemed to go at a reasonable pace. After that it felt a little bam, bam, bam. It's not necessarily a bad thing for a book to be short, but if I didn't know that I were listening to the unabridged version of the book, I would've sworn I was listening to an abridged version, with pieces of the full story being sacrificed in the interest of ...more
Maria
The last in the series, this one is about a failed relationship from the past that comes back to resurrect itself in the present. The author friend fights hard to prevent it, but the modern business cowboy has other plans. This one is my second favorite of the three in the series, in spite of the fact that Rafe is a bit pushy and Maggie a bit repetitive for my tastes. I also have a firm belief in timing. A romance will occur at the correct time and not at any other, so usually I don't like a fai ...more
Alexis Lee
Mar 24, 2013 Alexis Lee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, yuck.

Jayne Ann Krentz, Jayne Ann Krentz. I can't stop reading your books because they're like M&Ms and you just can't stop till the packet's done, but this was a DNF for me.

I'm always prepared for alpha-asshole syndrome when I dive into one of your books, but this was really a bit too much for me. I hate Rafe (well, as much of him that I did manage to read, anyway) and I hate...oh, what's her name? Margaret.

Yep. Loathe and despise, the whole enchilada. This was bad, bad, bad. That's re
Sarah Eiseman
Nov 18, 2010 Sarah Eiseman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by Jayne Ann Krenz and is the third book in this particular series (series includes The Pirate, The Adventurer, and The Cowboy). This book was OK, but not nearly as funny or entertaining as The Pirate was. This book had more of the drama that I’m not really a big fan of; big gestures, doors slamming, that sort of thing. I’ll still read the middle book in this series, and I’ll still read other books by this author. This just wasn’t a book I’d tell anyone to run out and get.
Jan
Jul 24, 2016 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was horse manure.
The guy is arrogant, overbearing, and dismissive. The woman is indecisive and ineffective. The characters made me nuts, so I did not finish this reread.
I had bought the audio on sale hoping that it was the one where the hero kept quoting passages from an alleged western author named Twitchell.
Besides, the narrator had a basically annoying voice quality, and when portraying the guy, sounded like a drag queen.
Nenya
Jul 01, 2015 Nenya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
first story in Tough Enough (with 2 other authors).

so we have the overbearing, macho H. here's what his mother (Bev) told the h some months ago, when the two were together: "You’d make him a better mistress than a wife." and this is the woman the h's father is now involved, and couldn't bother to (was persuaded by the H not to) inform the h that they're getting married.

on top of that, kindda hard to like the H. or the h... who's supposed to have a backbone... somewhere...
Lauren
I have got to stop reading late 80s/early 90s romance novels. I can't stand the macho men that treat women like children. I love Jayne Ann Krentz and wanted to read her earlier books, but I just can't get into them. I have the same problem with Iris Johansen's early romance novels. The genre has changed over the years, thank goodness!!!
Kathy
Jan 28, 2017 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3. Margaret gave her heart to cowboy Rafe Cassidy once before and she's bound and determined to keep her distance. What she hasn't counted on is a father that switches loyalties and a determined cowboy who having decided what he wants isn't about to let go. A nice conclusion to a fun little series.
Sandy
Jun 21, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
First time reading anything by this author and I have to say I enjoyed the book. Of course like any romance books there are things that make you say "whatever" but I would probably try reading more of her books. The only thing that I didn't like was that she caved in the first day back she was in Rafe's company after being so angry with him.
Christopher Baldwin
This is the first "romance novel" I may have ever read, and totally lived up to every stereotype I could think of -- that being for better or worse. It was fun, decently written, but I didn't find it very interesting or memorable.
Petie McCarty
This was a pleasant read, even though it's one of Ms. Krentz's early works. Did take a bit longer than normal to warm up to the heroine.
Rachael
May 27, 2014 Rachael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very quick read, but not a lot of suspense to the story. Still, a nice piece of fluff.

Darcy
Jan 02, 2017 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick fluff!
Andrea
Oct 15, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok, by far not the best book I have ever read but cert. worth a quick read ......once.
Jenny Schwartz
Oct 24, 2010 Jenny Schwartz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Parental "betrayal", career and relationship conflict, lots of conflict, but also character growth and love.
Kristine
Nov 21, 2008 Kristine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Fun and sweet old fashioned Krentz
Lauri
Nov 14, 2010 Lauri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I can pinpoint any specific thing that I didn't like about this book, but at the same time I'm not sure I can tell you anything specific I liked about the book.
Kym McNabney
I only got to page 14 or so in this book and had to stop. Being a writer, this book was hard to read, not easy flowing as it should be. The author seems to be telling, rather then showing.
Elaine Cantrell
Cute with an alpha male as the hero.
Cem73
Nov 27, 2016 Linda Levy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Pirate
The Adventurer
The Cowboy
I have owned and reread these three books so many times. They are just a lovely read that makes me relax and chill out.
Marcia
Marcia rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2008
Susan Berger
Susan Berger rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: The Cowboy (1990) Book 3 2 3 Apr 19, 2013 11:23AM
  • Worth the Risk (2 stories in 1 book)
  • A Man's Protection
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...

Ladies and Legends (3 books)
  • The Pirate (Ladies and Legends, #1)
  • The Adventurer (Ladies and Legends, #2)