Start by marking “Facts for Visitors” as Want to Read:
Facts for Visitors

Facts for Visitors (New California Poetry #12)

Speaking in the wake of empire, of terrestrial love and of the collapse of traditional literary forms, the protagonist of this collection of poetry reconstructs a world from the language of encyclopedias, instruction manuals, and the literary legacies of Wallace Stevens, W. G. Sebald, and Joseph Conrad. The prefatory lyric, "Burial Practice," imagines the posthumous narrat ...more
Published April 19th 2004 by University of California Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Facts for Visitors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facts for Visitors

Barrett
Sep 16, 2007 Barrett rated it it was amazing
The book begins with a succinct, odd and unobfuscated language set in a poetic do-si-do: "Burial Practice" is a genesis story -- physical, intellectual, then cultural. The poem suggests the poet Srikanth Reddy is a builder. He builds in brick-by-brick phrases -- "pulse" to "pause", a ritualistic "then" starting most lines, almost chanting, and the also-brick-like symbols in the pivotal spaces between stanzas round out the concept. By the first poem he's already invoked the Holy Bible, and before ...more
Jenna
I met Chicu Reddy, briefly, at a poetry reading in Boston whereat he autographed my copy of this book. This is great stuff. Reddy injects new life into all the poetic forms he uses, which range from the prose poem to the villanelle. He is truly a versatile poet. No matter what form is he using at the time, Reddy makes poetry seem so easy and fluidly flowing and *fun* that reading this book will make you want to sit down and write prose poems and villanelles of your own. This is limpid, beautiful ...more
Melissa
Jan 16, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: many folks
Shelves: poetry
There's an innocent(seeming) tendency toward storytelling and clarity of feeling in these poems that I find very endearing. They are neither sentimental nor cynical, precious nor abstract, and they fill that middle ground (where my favorite poems reside) nicely. I also appreciate the poems' rhythmic qualities, sometimes even metrical, and their subtle use of rhyme. But I have a thing against villanelles; they hardly ever (with a few famous exceptions) seem necessary, just, good. And here, too.
Sam
Mar 30, 2008 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
So, I really liked this book. In this collection, Chicu displays a soul and sensibility that is lacking in most contemporary poets. His poems are heavily felt and still accessible. "Scarecrow Eclogue" is a perfectly composed poem.

As good as this book is though, it's not the radiant masterpiece that some would claim it is. Still, an excellent beginning by one of the best of the new generation.
Bradley Harrison
May 07, 2010 Bradley Harrison rated it it was amazing
"By point / ing or performing simple gestures it is possible to communicate / everything necessary to carry on living. A finger upraised is the firma / ment. The hand extended palm forward means blessing or stop."

An excerpt from, "Sixth Circle"
Michelle Taransky
Sep 07, 2007 Michelle Taransky rated it it was amazing
I know precious little of elsewhere.
Lacy
Nov 02, 2015 Lacy rated it liked it
I enjoyed most of these poems and found quite a few lines to be thought provoking and sticking.
Meg
Aug 21, 2007 Meg rated it it was amazing
this book is so good i think writing another book is going to be hard.
Cemalec
Sep 09, 2012 Cemalec rated it really liked it
I love the tone throughout this book, of facts transformed into emotion, and vice versa.
Kristin
Nov 19, 2008 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
A book of expansive poetry that covers the largest and smallest of matters effectively and beautifully.
Annie
Mar 30, 2011 Annie rated it it was amazing
Lovely!
Colleen
Sep 18, 2007 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Not biased because he was my advisor, I swear - Reddy's poems just have an eloquence and precision of language that is rare in many younger poets today...
Jamie Banks
Curious to see more. Loved the first few poems, love the words/ink to reality analogies, but want to see more done with them.
Michael Mingo
Michael Mingo rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Allison Titus
Allison Titus rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2007
Grant Souders
Grant Souders rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2009
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Jake Adam
Jake Adam rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2007
Olga Moskvina
Olga Moskvina rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
justine
justine rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2007
Burman.kate
Burman.kate rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2010
Victoria Alexandra
Victoria Alexandra rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2008
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
May 01, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Katie Cruel
Katie Cruel rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Ahmed A
Ahmed A rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Rachel I.
Rachel I. rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2009
  • Indeed I Was Pleased with the World
  • Dancing in Odessa
  • Miracle Fruit
  • Science and Steepleflower: Poetry

New California Poetry (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • For