Start by marking “Diagnoses from the Dead: The Book of Autopsy” as Want to Read:
Diagnoses from the Dead: The Book of Autopsy

Diagnoses from the Dead: The Book of Autopsy

3.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
As forensic pathology has become the focus of numerous television programs and best-selling novels, more and more people want to understand this medical procedure, including what really happens in an autopsy and why it is so important. In "Diagnoses from the Dead," Dr. Richard A. Prayson offers insight into the importance of autopsy as a method for discovering new medical ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Kaplan Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Diagnoses from the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diagnoses from the Dead

Katie
Jan 27, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok
This is a good book about autopsy for the general public. However, I found it a little annoying in voice. I have a medical background so it was too basic for me and the author's constant defining of words seemed to interrupt the flow. So, not a good book for me but I think it will do well with the general public who want this information in layman's terms.
Aprile
Aug 24, 2014 Aprile rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting read on the basic steps of an autopsy and some facts on its decline since reaching an all-time high in the mid 1900s. I came away seeing the usefulness of autopsies even with all the modern technology we have now...after all, doctors are still only human and can make incorrect diagnoses. The author reminds us that the autopsy is still a useful tool and that more good is yet to come of it, if the public and doctors continue to be educated about the procedure.
Veronica
Jun 29, 2016 Veronica rated it liked it
This was vaguely interesting, but it was written more with an eye towards policy promoting the practice than the actual diagnostic advantages of autopsy.
Gizzard
While this contained a very good essay on why we should allow autopsies on our loved ones, much of the book is repetetive and not all that interesting. I'm not sure of the intended audience, but the book really mixed complex scientific concepts with explanations of some simple things. Kind of odd, half written for doctors, half for 6th graders (and in the same paragraph).

If you want to know why autopsies are important outside of CSI, read this book. But maybe just the first couple chapters.
Suzanne
Jul 08, 2016 Suzanne rated it liked it
Informative but a bit dry. I would put this in a double feature with Mary Roach's Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, which is juicier in writing style but less in-depth in some areas.
Cheryl
Jan 22, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
This was written for an audience that doesn't quite have a great grasp on science yet. I was pretty surprised, as it was written by a bunch of medical students. Nonetheless, it's an interesting read and sheds light on some important issues regarding autopsy.
Tamela
Apr 04, 2011 Tamela rated it really liked it
Very informative book to read on anything pertaining to an Autopsy. From the history to the educational purposes that resulted to cures for some diseases. A good read.
Hillary
Jan 09, 2011 Hillary rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Very basic information, presented in a straightforward and dry way. Possibly an interesting read for a young student (early high school) but a waste of my time.
Kareem
May 30, 2013 Kareem rated it it was ok
Interesting read, but it got very repetitive and slow at times. It's like reading a dissertation.
Lily Bloom
Lily Bloom marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Nickers
Nickers rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Jessica Vallori
Jessica Vallori marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Tina Thompson
Tina Thompson rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Petrichor
Petrichor rated it it was ok
May 23, 2016
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Noel Rooks
Noel Rooks marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Stephanie Erdman
Stephanie Erdman marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Jonathan Bloom
Jonathan Bloom marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Eril
Eril marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Kanika
Kanika marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Todd Tonkel
Todd Tonkel marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Robert
Robert is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Claire Lang
Claire Lang marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Shari
Shari marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Chris Brooks
Chris Brooks marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Bufo Calvin
Bufo Calvin marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016