Diagnoses from the Dead: The Book of Autopsy

Diagnoses from the Dead: The Book of Autopsy

2.93 of 5 stars 2.93  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  7 reviews
As forensic pathology has become the focus of numerous television programs and best-selling novels, more and more people want to understand this medical procedure, including what really happens in an autopsy and why it is so important. In "Diagnoses from the Dead," Dr. Richard A. Prayson offers insight into the importance of autopsy as a method for discovering new medical...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Kaplan Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Diagnoses from the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diagnoses from the Dead

Katie
This is a good book about autopsy for the general public. However, I found it a little annoying in voice. I have a medical background so it was too basic for me and the author's constant defining of words seemed to interrupt the flow. So, not a good book for me but I think it will do well with the general public who want this information in layman's terms.
Aprile
Interesting read on the basic steps of an autopsy and some facts on its decline since reaching an all-time high in the mid 1900s. I came away seeing the usefulness of autopsies even with all the modern technology we have now...after all, doctors are still only human and can make incorrect diagnoses. The author reminds us that the autopsy is still a useful tool and that more good is yet to come of it, if the public and doctors continue to be educated about the procedure.
Gizzard
While this contained a very good essay on why we should allow autopsies on our loved ones, much of the book is repetetive and not all that interesting. I'm not sure of the intended audience, but the book really mixed complex scientific concepts with explanations of some simple things. Kind of odd, half written for doctors, half for 6th graders (and in the same paragraph).

If you want to know why autopsies are important outside of CSI, read this book. But maybe just the first couple chapters.
Cheryl
This was written for an audience that doesn't quite have a great grasp on science yet. I was pretty surprised, as it was written by a bunch of medical students. Nonetheless, it's an interesting read and sheds light on some important issues regarding autopsy.
Tamela
Very informative book to read on anything pertaining to an Autopsy. From the history to the educational purposes that resulted to cures for some diseases. A good read.
Hillary
Very basic information, presented in a straightforward and dry way. Possibly an interesting read for a young student (early high school) but a waste of my time.
Kareem
Interesting read, but it got very repetitive and slow at times. It's like reading a dissertation.
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Stevek
Stevek marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Vigneshwar Venkatesan
Vigneshwar Venkatesan marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Meetta (Moretta)
Meetta (Moretta) marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Lindsay Foran-harpe
Lindsay Foran-harpe marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
O-cat
O-cat marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Esther Marlowe
Esther Marlowe marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Hamna Saddique
Hamna Saddique marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Subhana
Subhana marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Christy Parker
Christy Parker marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Sergio
Sergio marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
McGraw-Hill Specialty Board Review Anatomic Pathology Flashcmcgraw-Hill Specialty Board Review Anatomic Pathology Flashcards (eBook) ARDS (eBook) McGraw-Hill Specialty Board Review Anatomic Pathology Brain Tumors Neuropathology Review Neuropathology Review [With CDROM]