The Four Million
read book

The Four Million

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  29 reviews
This rich anthology contains 4 tales set in an exotic banana republic and 21 tales set in New York City at the dawn of the twentieth century, including stories of the idle rich, the hardworking middle class, and the hopeless poor. Readers will enjoy rubbing shoulders with outlaws and commiserating with thwarted lovers--all the while looking forward to the author's trademar...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Boomer Books (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Four Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Million

Carrie
O Henry began to write this collection of short stories about New Yorkers in response to a high society businessman who claimed that in New York there were only about 40 people worth writing about. O Henry's love of the common man shows through these delicious candy-like stories with that classic O'Henry twist at the end. One of his most favorite, The Gift of the Magi, you have probably heard of and maybe moved to tears by the pair's classic tale of sacrifice in love.
Mary
You think O. Henry and you think unexpected twist and romances and happy endings, but one thing that really struck me throughout all these New York stories is that O. Henry's world is really very dangerous and very scary. People could literally starve to death, regularly brawl in the streets, be ruined by a husband, resort to suicide and that very present loneliness of the big city, which enables the cute turns, but also presents very real risks.
Minoy Jose
May 03, 2014 Minoy Jose rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of O Henry, Early 20th century English lovers, Likers of short fiction
The Four Million is the second collection of short stories by O Henry that was published in 1906. The title refers to the population of New York City at that time and is where all the stories are based. I like such random links.

The common thread that runs through most if not all the stories in the collection is the soullessness of the big city. The city is a paradoxical mix of promise and glitz and suffering and the different characters conjured up by the writer take us through the diverse array...more
Gale
THE FOUR MILLION

"Tales of olde New York--Woodhouse with a Bitter Twist"

This anthology contains 25 tales of old New York city at the dawn of the 20th century. Plus the bonus of 4 tales set in the exotic tropics of a fictitious banana republic. O. Henry focuses his curious microscope on the diverse lives of various residents of this metropolis. A few protagonists claim idle-rich status, but most represent the middle class or poverty-stricken milieus. Indulgent readers will discover the flavor...more
George
A VERY REFRESHING READ.

“When ye run down politeness ye take the mortar from between the bricks of the foundations of society” [‘Between Rounds’]—page 23

O. Henry is one of my favorite go to guys whenever I need to cleanse my reading pallet. ‘The Four Million’ is a collection of 25 short stories all set in New York City in the early 1900s. Although I was already familiar with many of these tales, having read them in other O. Henry compendiums, they none-the-less provided a very refreshing and rel...more
Chad Warner
A collection of O. Henry’s short stories bearing his trademark irony, comic misunderstandings, and surprise endings. I liked the memorable characters, the humorous slang, and O. Henry’s use of obscure vocabulary and analogies.

Besides the popular The Gift of the Magi, I also liked the stories Between Rounds, The Cop and the Anthem, Lost on Dress Parade, Memoirs of a Yellow Dog, and A Service of Love.

I listened to the free Librivox audiobook of The Four Million.
Joshua Rigsby
Coming into this collection I was only really familiar with the "Gift of the Magi" and one or two other random stories by O. Henry I read in some English class or another.

I enjoyed O.Henry's use of wordplay throughout and his humorously constructed scenarios. The twist endings, when done well, were enjoyable. I did find that some of the twists felt a bit contrived, or were easily anticipated. I wanted them to be cleverer or more exciting. Maybe this is because I've grown up in a world that O.He...more
Kim Godard
Delightful, pleasant little stories, each with a peculiar twist for which O. Henry is known. I particularly like the way the author gives us character through dialog and makes us feel as if we know, or could have known, these very individuals if we'd been in his neighborhood. Henry cuts thick slices of urban life in the late nineteenth/early twentieth century and serves them hot and buttered with expression. Nice stories to fill gaps when a longer work is just too much for the moment.
Kidbenicia
What can I say? I'm a sucker for O. Henry. His short stories are the sort of thing that I don't know if I think they're great because they actually are great, or just because I happen to like them; but I also don't care. This collection includes "The Gift of the Magi", that holiday classic- which I first learned of through Sesame Street when they adapted it so that it was Bert & Ernie as the couple.
Azma Humayun
Re-read when I was in the mood for something simple, funny, heart-warming, and entertaining as hell. No wonder O Henry is one of the greatest short story writers who ever lived. He can make you ROFL, cry, or smack your head when you did not see a twist coming.
Of the 25 stories in this collection (all very good), my favourites are:

The Gift of the Magi: A young woman sacrifices her most precious possession to buy her husband a Christmas gift;

The Cop and the Anthem: A homeless guy tries everything...more
Hriday
An excellent read. O.Henry's tales are full of life, details, descriptions, emotion, humor and needless to say, surprise. Some of the stories leave you awestruck with the way he perceives and portrays mundane things; some others leave you teary-eyed due to the realism and bitterness; and yet others leave you equally teary-eyed with rib-cracking laughter.

O.Henry, like all great writers, is a master of emotion and he takes you through the broad spectrum of love, loss, friendship, riches, misery,...more
Ghanem Abdullah
"الملايين الأربعة" مجموعة قصص قصيرة للأديب الأمريكي "أو. هنري"، ترجمة د/سعيد عبده.
قصص قصيرة، بلغ عددها ٢٤ قصة، تتراوح صفحاتها بين ٧-١٠ لكل قصة، أعجبتني ١٤ قصة منها، بشكل لا يوصف، هذا لا ينفي أن بقية القصص ممتعة.

عنوان المجموعة القصصية هذي، يشير لعدد سكان مدينة نيويورك عند بداية القرن العشرين، ومضمون القصص يدور حول نمط وظروف حياة الطبقة العاملة والفقيرة في هذه المدينة المنطلقة على قطار الريادة والعالمية في حينها.

تتميز قصصه القصيرة بأنها ساخرة، وفيها رومانسية بسيطة غير متكلفة، كما أنها تقدم منظورًا...more
Courtney

17) An Unfinished Story
18) The Caliph, Cupid and the Clock
19) Si...more
Joanne

A classic by O. Henry of 25 short stories many with witty lessons that end with plot twists. There is an underlying theme of despair, many of the stories take place in NYC with ordinary people, situations and involve boarding houses and people at the end of their hope. There were several I really enjoyed, several were very dated and a few I just really didn’t care for.

The 1st story “The Gift of the Magi” I remember from high school reading. A young couple desperate to buy a nice present for each...more
Abby
Included here is "The Gift of the Magi", an excellent short story and one that every person ought to know.
Theresa
I love the humanness of the characters. Many of the stories are just downright funny. The most famous of the collection, the Gift of the Magi, was not one of my favorite entries, though it is still a top notch story. That should give you an idea of how great an author O Henry is. He captures the essence of human nature in each story and brings to light the differences in personalities and weaves them expertly together to create the scene.

Ross Beresford
I read this in the Project Gutenberg edition as an EPUB. Particularly evocative of a time (around 1900) and place (New York City). Many of the stories concern the Irish community (with its dialect often rendered within speech tags) and the poverty of the times. The title derives from the then population of NYC; today's title would have to be "Eight Million".
Valerie

A wonderful collection of stories that take place in New York City - with their twist endings and real-life dialogue. The language and word choice are incredible, the character descriptions too. Special mention for tobin's palm, the coming out of Maggie, an adjustment of nature, by courier, and the brief debut of tilly. These are perfect short stories.
Kenny
More than thirty years ago I bought a first edition set of eleven O Henry books. For two dollars. I'm finally getting around to reading them and enjoy his lighthearted way of describing the human condition as he sees it. Charming, and full of simple pleasure.
Don
While "Gift of the Magi" has always been a favorite, I did not realize how inventive O.Henry was in writing short stories with surprise endings. This is a really delightful collection of stories.
Suzanne Fischer
Slice of life stories from NY at the turn of the 19th century; twists and surprise endings reveal humanity of the period (often in poverty) in heartwarming ways.
Willa
Apr 18, 2008 Willa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle schoolers and up
A series of short stories by O. Henry. They're mainly about finding love in the big city of New York in the early 1900's. Great book.
Rs
This is his best. The Third Ingredient, a tale of a quest for an onion, and other stories of turn of the century New York.
Theresa
the only problem is that o henry's "twists" become predictable and so lose some of their charm...
Stan Lanier
Forgot how much fun this author could be with all his surprise twists at the end of his stories.
Steve Shilstone
O Dot turned out a whole bunch of fine short stories, such as 'The Gift of the Magi' and all.
Meetasha Rathi
simple...capturing life....
Alessandra
Now that I live in New York, these stories that I had once merely enjoyed have found a permanent place in my memory. A must read that's not nearly read enough in schools or in comfy chairs.
Blossom
Blossom marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • Tanglewood Tales: A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • The Lesson of the Master
  • Stories For Christmas
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
  • Thomas Hardy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles; The Mayor of Casterbridge; Far from the Madding Crowd
  • Small Avalanches and Other Stories
  • The Satyricon/The Apocolocyntosis
  • Wasps (Clarendon Paperbacks)
  • A Curtain of Green and Other Stories
  • The Collected Short Stories of Saki
  • Five Women Who Loved Love: Amorous Tales from 17th-Century Japan
  • The Heptameron
  • The Age of Chivalry (Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology)
  • Claudine in Paris
  • Women in Their Beds: New and Selected Stories
  • Three Negro Classics
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs...more
More about O. Henry...
The Gift of the Magi Selected Stories The Ransom of Red Chief The Best Short Stories of O. Henry The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories

“But the best, in my opinion, was the home life in the little flat--the ardent, voluble chats after the day's study; the cozy dinners and fresh, light breakfasts; the interchange of ambitions--ambitions interwoven each with the other's or else inconsiderable--the mutual help and inspiration; and--overlook my artlessness--stuffed olives and cheese sandwiches at 11 p.m.” 6 likes
“If men knew how women pass the time when they are alone, they’d never marry.” 0 likes