Start by marking “Sojourner Truth: A Life, a Symbol” as Want to Read:
Sojourner Truth: A Life, a Symbol

Sojourner Truth: A Life, a Symbol

Sojourner Truth: ex-slave and fiery abolitionist, figure of imposing physique, riveting preacher and spellbinding singer who dazzled listeners with her wit and originality. Straight talking and unsentimental, Truth became a national symbol for strong black women - indeed, for all strong women. Like Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass, she is regarded as a radical of imme ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Sojourner Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sojourner Truth

mis fit
Jul 10, 2015 mis fit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I was really excited to read this (not disappointed), though it got lost in the shuffle of moving and my thoughts are all disjointed. I love how the author organizes the book in terms of Truth's actual life and then how she has been used as a symbol by various people and movements.

Finally got the back story on Ain't I a Woman and how it was re-written in southern black dialect. But the thing is, Truth was from New York and spoke Dutch. And this brings me to the point that U.S. slavery has bec
Joshunda Sanders
Apr 10, 2010 Joshunda Sanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea that the caption for the cover image, which is the most popular image that remains of Sojourner Truth, is "I sell the shadow to support the substance." Painter's fascinating biography paints the fullest description of Truth's life I have read, puts Truth's own autobiography into context & includes a number of surprising (to me) elements including a 1858 "breast-baring incident" during which Truth showed her breasts to prove her womanhood and shame the audience of mainly white m ...more
Anastasia
Nell Irvin Painter’s biography of Sojourner Truth is unique, I think, because of the author’s attempt, not only to accurately portray Truth’s life, but also to understand the making and value of Truth as a symbol. Before reading this book, I recommend making some notes on what you know about Sojourner Truth. You may be surprised at how wrong or incomplete your picture of her is.

I learned several things that really stood out for me. One was that Truth was illiterate. Although she was reportedly
Drakeflock
So the Sojourner Truth we were all introduced to was a creation of Harriet Beecher Stowe and Frances Dana Gage who found her fascinating and characterized her as a fierce and capativating presence that could quell an audience with her ready wit. In reality, Sojourner was a woman of courage, but deep reflection and common sense, who didn't seek the limelight, someone who wanted to protect her children and provide for herself. She was indeed courageous, clever, and wise beyong anyone's expctations ...more
Siria
I picked up this book because I was curious to learn more about Sojourner Truth beyond the vague outline I'd picked up: a nineteenth century African-American woman who'd campaigned for an end to slavery and for women's rights, a towering figure known for addressing a white audience with her famous "Ain't I a woman?" speech. And it turns out that preconceptions like that are Nell Irvin Painter is trying to undo with this biography. Painter ably demonstrates that Truth's life has been co-opted and ...more
Rachael Ryerson
Nov 02, 2014 Rachael Ryerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I had no idea that the symbol of Truth does not necessarily match the lived life of Truth. Who knew, before Painter's careful consideration of documents produced around the "events" of Truth's life since Truth was unable to read or write,that the infamous phrase attributed to Truth, "ain't I a woman," was likely the construction of Frances Dana Gage writing twelve years after the event at which Truth gave that speech? Not to mention, this publication of Truth's speech came at a time when Ha ...more
Ebony Jones-Kuye
Sojourner Truth is a strong female hero! She escaped with her children to New York to get away from slavery. She helped recruit African-Americans for the Union Army. She is known for her famous women's speech "Ain't I a woman?" Ms. Truth fought for slave freedom, women's rights, and the harsh treatment of African-American soldier's after the civil war until her death. This book is a beautiful well written story of Ms. Truth during a period that was hard for any African-American woman especially ...more
Zora
Dec 07, 2012 Zora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book because it deconstructs the construction of her as a mystical figure. We learn about her life and how she was an advocate for both women's rights as well as rights for African Americans. I really enjoyed reading about her and the work that she has done. It was a very good read, forming opinions from other works or earlier narratives. Good read if you want to find out who the real Sojourner Truth was.
Bev
Nov 20, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One reason I appreciated this book is because of the research the author did to determine what was true (about Truth!) and what was exaggeration and fiction. Also how biases kept certain parts of Truth's story from being told. It was very interesting to learn that even well read people don't want to know the facts if it removes a symbol they've relied on and that symbols are very important to certain people.
Julie
Oct 06, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard of Sojourner Truth in another book I was reading. She sounded very inspiring and I wanted to learn more. I was disappointed while reading her biography to learn that the inspiring situation was false. Truth was an amazing woman even without the false story and the real version is just as great as the fictionalized one.

Liyaan
Nov 15, 2013 Liyaan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Sojourner Truth: A life, A symbol' is an inspiring book that tells her story in a clear way highlighting all of her achievements. The book opens your mind to the many things that a single human being can accomplish and change if they set their minds to it. In my opinion the author Nell Irvin Painter does the story justice.
Stephanie
What I enjoyed about this book was that Painter goes back to the primary sources to get the real story about Sojourner Truth. From there, Painter studies the development of the Sojourner Truth the symbol and why it is the symbol that survives today.
Daniel
Mar 19, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prior to reading this I knew next to nothing about its subject beyond a caricatured view, which Nell Irvin Painter completely overturns. But I'm definitely going to seek out Margaret Washington's more recent Truth biography as well.
Georgia Butler
Mar 07, 2015 Georgia Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical
I enjoyed this book not only for the biography of Sojourner Truth but also for the nineteenth-century history of women's rights and the abolitionist movement. Must read for anyone interested in Women's Studies and/or Black History.
Waheedah Bilal
Sep 19, 2012 Waheedah Bilal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly well-researched illuminating biography of Isabella Baumfree, who became Sojourner Truth. If you think you know anything about slavery or her, read this, you will find it illuminating.
Eve
Dec 12, 2015 Eve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this - very readable, well researched, raises pertinent issues, and the examination of Truth as a person and as a symbol - and the creation of that symbol - is invaluable.
Heather
This was a well researched book; sometimes a bit on the dry side, but very interesting none the less. The author focused heavily on trying to show Sojourner Truth the person, separate from the myth that she became. Interesting thing is that the myth of the Truth persona was already forming while Truth was still alive, and she allowed (encouraged?) the growth of the myth. The famous "Ain't I a Woman?" phrase is in all likelihood part of the myth, having been reported 12 years after the fact. I re ...more
Dawn
Jan 30, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for Literature in school and I thought it was simply amazing! A great read and very historical. Great story of life of slaves in that era.
Winter Sophia Rose
Illuminating & Compelling! An Incredible Biography!
Ned Bustard
May 22, 2014 Ned Bustard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is good history and a good read
Chris Higgins
Dec 27, 2014 Chris Higgins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book remarkable life
Theresa
Mar 02, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful historical biography.
Starbubbles
very insightful to a very interesting life. it's awe inspiring how truth spun her lifestory to financially benefit herself, but also maintain a level of independence.
Ashley
Dec 08, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nell Painter is a fabulous writer who helped me really know Ms. Sojourner.
Cheryl Wicker
Cheryl Wicker marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Flowered Wallpaper
Flowered Wallpaper rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Salonee Bhaman
Salonee Bhaman rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
elissa
elissa is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
  • Forever Free: The Story of Emancipation and Reconstruction
  • John Brown
  • John Brown, Abolitionist: The Man Who Killed Slavery, Sparked the Civil War, and Seeded Civil Rights
  • Soul by Soul: Life Inside the Antebellum Slave Market
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
  • Other Powers: The Age of Suffrage, Spiritualism, and the Scandalous Victoria Woodhull
  • All on Fire: William Lloyd Garrison and the Abolition of Slavery
  • Remembering Slavery: African Americans Talk About Their Personal Experiences of Slavery and Freedom
  • Been in the Storm So Long: The Aftermath of Slavery
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • No Constitutional Right to Be Ladies: Women and the Obligations of Citizenship
  • Frederick Douglass
  • A Nation Under Our Feet: Black Political Struggles in the Rural South from Slavery to the Great Migration
  • Sick From Freedom: African-American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction
  • Southern Horrors and Other Writings: The Anti-Lynching Campaign of Ida B. Wells, 1892-1900
  • Slave Religion: The "Invisible Institution" in the Antebellum South
  • Narrative of Sojourner Truth
  • The Hanging of Angelique: The Untold Story of Canadian Slavery and the Burning of Old Montreal
Nell Irvin Painter is an American historian notable for her works on southern history of the nineteenth century. She is retired from Princeton University, and served as president of the Organization of American Historians. She also served as president of the Southern Historical Association.

She was born Nell Irvin to Dona and Frank E. Irvin, Sr. She had an older brother Frank who died young. Her fa
More about Nell Irvin Painter...