Triomf

Triomf

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  31 reviews
"Triomf," one of the best novels ever written in Afrikaans, is acclaimed internationally for its black humor and insight into South Africa on the brink of revolutionary change--"exquisitely written" ("The Economist").
Published February 23rd 2004 by Overlook Hardcover (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Triomf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triomf

Margitte
Although the setting is a poor (white trash) family, The Benades, in one of the poorest neighborhoods in South Africa, the story could be regarded as the universal plight of the poorest of the poor in, especially, a capitalistic society. Sociologically it could be justified as a testimony of how a social system worked for all its participants or not. In the Benade family's case neither Apartheid, nor the soon to be Post Apartheid era did anything to drag the family out of the miserable life they...more
Holly Procida
This book beats out The Glass Castle as the portrait of the THE MOST dysfunctional family. Easily squeamish should not attempt this novel. It is set in early nineties South Africa which was a very turbulent time period. This extremely poor white family gets crashed on the rocks of the turbulence both from within their family, and within the community. The characters are intricately explored. The dialect is difficult but fascinating (there's a glossary) Beware of intense descriptions of incest an...more
Elizabeth
Brilliant, enthralling... emotionally draining, but excellently written.
Charmaine Elliott
I must admit to getting in my car and driving up and down the streets of Triomf to view the house where the Benade's live - so real did this family become in the reading. Like the observer of a hideous car crash, I just wanted to catch a glimpse of these people. The terms 'poor white' and 'white trash' have been bandied about for as long as I can remember. Until this book I must confess that I did not truly understand the breadth, the depth and the horror of these phrases. With a 60 year lifespa...more
Diana
South African (Afrikaner) who writes of modern South Africa (modern as in post-war and pre-Mandela) from the poor-white perspective – in Triomf, her first novel to be translated into English. Triomf is the name of a rather grim suburb of Johannesburg; once it was black, then they were removed to make way for poor whites. The family which is the focus of the novel is a no-hope, white trash tribe rarely if ever depicted in South African arts and culture.
Triomf is powerful and richly written; the s...more
David
A bit long for me, but I am not known for my readerly patience. While it evokes SA social awareness and history, it also stretches outward. I think a reader who knows nothing about SA history or politics can appreciate the novel for its insights into "white trash" existence. That's what I liked about the book. It's also useful for Freudian thinking: you'll discover some new, twisted triangles in this book.
Amanda Brinkmann
This book is NOT for the feint-hearted. It conjurs up images of the ' poor, uneducated, whites', that became one of the many legacies of a post-apartheid South Africa. Protected before, simply because of their skin colour, living in a decaying government house, slowly but surely being surrounded by the ' new' black and coloured emerging middle-class, who are upgrading these homes - the central characters of this book, create very real, extremely disturbing, but a very honest picture of this prev...more
Ruth
Although this is an excellent book I would not recommend it to anyone who is not familiar with South Africa as it is full of local colloquialisms. It is these touches that lend aunthenticity & it would be frustrating for a reader who doesn't know what they refer to, despite a good glossary in the back of the book.
Rozanne
Uiteindelik!! So gesukkel om hierdie boek klaar te maak. Hy lees baie moeilik, maar dit is 'n baie goeie boek, baie kras, maar die karakters is elkeen so uniek en kry mens eintlik baie simpatie met elkeen van hulle.
Kay
A horrible book. A vast landscape of barrenness. So awful it is difficult to come up with adjectives to fully express the desparate bleakness of this book. Any time spent reading it is completely wasted
Jillian Goldberg
I could not get past the first 20 pages of this incredibly turgid, horrific novel. Perhaps it suffered in translation. I consider myself a reader with a strong stomach but this defeated me.
Farrah
I just couldn't get into it. It was a hard book to read - both the subject matter and the writing - and it didn't pay off for me.
Derek Baldwin
Disturbing tale of Seff Effrican po white trash
Nina
Ek verstaan dit en het dit behandel op varsity, maar kan nie sê dit was 'n plesier nie!
Heleen
Ik vond het moeilijk om lang achter elkaar te lezen. De familie leeft in zo'n uitzichtloze situatie. Ze kunnen niet anders dan bij elkaar blijven maar doen elkaar zoveel leed aan. Er is mij veel ontgaan van wat er gezegd werd over het oude en nieuwe zuid-afrika. De karakters werden mij in de loop van het boek wel dierbaar.
Liselotte
Gelezen na het magistrale Agaat en dat was misschien geen goed idee, ook al zit ik een half jaar in Zuid-Afrika en ken ik de meeste toespelingen. Zwaar onderwerp dat subtiel wordt benaderd, maar niet kernachtig genoeg. Moeten doorbijten rond 3/4, maar blij dat ik het uitgelezen heb.
Todd

This is probably a good choice for a South African reader or, at least someone with a great understanding of South African culture. It's been a difficult read for me, but, I'm sure that's due to my ignorance if South African culture.
Heke
An amazing read to top off a month long trip to SA. Without knowing the history and culture it would be hard to follow, but these are some amazing characters who I would never want to meet but can't seem to forget.
Monique
read it in afrikaans and it was special, i wonder if in english or other language is the same - a shocking story however - read the authors other novel too (agaat)
i'm looking forward to her next novel
Jude
Not an easy book to read, but I think it is brilliant. Marlene has an incredible talent and the translation by Leon de Kock works very well. Wish I could read the original.
Sophia
Nov 11, 2008 Sophia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in people
Recommended to Sophia by: my mom
fantasties. dat sy met soveel deernis kan skryf oor mense wat ek andersins sou kon miskyk – in fact, dat sy die sagte kant wys van mense wat my politically repulse – is humbling.
Grethe Koen
Any South African would be depriving themselves greatly by not reading this book. It speaks on perhaps one of South Africa's most taboo subjects- poor whites.

Axel
what a messed up life - a story of a "white trash" family in the apartheid era; cannot sympathize with any of the characters but somehow feel sorry for them.
Ilze
I tried my level best to read this book. In fact, I even made it past the halfway mark! But it was awful. Really. I couldn't finish it.
David Smith
These are the people in my neighbourhood, in my neighbourhood, they're in my neigh-bour-hood!
Adrienne
A remarkable, beautiful, hilarious, sad, made me homesick book. I love this author.
David Cooke
Horrendously disturbing, yet utterly mesmerising.
Sonja Randall
Skokkend, maar treffend.
June
Not a very comfortable book to read, but so full of real people with the strangest characteristics. I knew they existed somewhere on the fringe of my world, but in reading this book I could be a fly on their wall and watch their sordid, dysfunctional lives unfold.
Incest theme 1 1 Apr 29, 2013 02:21AM
  • The Smell of Apples
  • Gem Squash Tokoloshe
  • Fiela se Kind
  • You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town
  • The Other Side of Silence
  • You Must Set Forth at Dawn
  • Ah But Your Land Is Beautiful
  • My Traitor's Heart: A South African Exile Returns to Face His Country, His Tribe, and His Conscience
  • Ways of Dying
  • Ancestral Voices
  • Tsotsi
  • Coconut
  • Country of My Skull: Guilt, Sorrow, and the Limits of Forgiveness in the New South Africa
  • Sizwe's Test: A Young Man's Journey Through Africa's AIDS Epidemic
  • Dinner With Mugabe: The Untold Story Of A Freedom Fighter Who Became A Tyrant
  • The Boy Next Door
  • Red Dust: A Novel
  • Such Is My Beloved
Marlene van Niekerk is a South African author who is best known for her novel Triomf. Her graphic and controversial descriptions of a poor Afrikaner family in Johannesburg brought her to the forefront of a post-apartheid society, still struggling to come to terms with all the changes in South Africa. In translation by Leon de Kock, this book was critically acclaimed in the US and UK, and was film...more
More about Marlene Van Niekerk...
Agaat De sneeuwslaper Memorandum: A Story with Paintings Die Vrou Wat Haar Verkyker Vergeet Het Sprokkelster