Start by marking “Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)” as Want to Read:
Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)

Haunted (Women of the Otherworld #5)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  21,350 Ratings  ·  765 Reviews
Eve Levine—half-demon, black witch, and devoted mother—has been dead for three years. She has a great house, an interesting love life, and can't be killed again—which comes in handy when you've made as many enemies as Eve has. Yes, the afterlife isn't too bad. All she needs to do is find a way to communicate with her daughter, Savannah, and she'll be happy.

But fate—or mor
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published August 4th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published May 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted

valee
Sep 22, 2009 valee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I had some problems with this installment as it has been happening to me with the last books I have read in this series, specifically the very same thing that happened to me with book 4. First half of the book boring and very VERY slow. Many times I just wanted to stop with the book and read something else, but then the second half of the book was so amazing that it only took me 4 hours to read it,lol.

But first I think the most important thing is to answer this question: Is it necessary to read
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
“Your one and possibly only chance to get the answer to every question in the universe, and you’ll ask, ‘Why are bats furry?”

A good book but my least favorite so far. I'm just not feeling Eve as much as I did the other heroines. She's definitely a tough cookie but she doesn't have the softer, blended layers Elena and Paige did. Her attitude is rather one-dimensional. Her relationship with Kris is sweet but I again don't feel the draw to the couple I have with the others.

The Fates are interest
Tatiana
Aug 14, 2009 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Women of the Otherworld series
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2010
"Haunted" is the 5th Women of the World novel and this time narrated by Eve Levine. You might remember Eve as Savannah's half-demon/witch mother who died before the events of the 2nd book in the series "Stolen." In this story Eve is called upon by Fates to pay back their favor by hunting down the Nix - a demon who invades human bodies, compels them to commit atrocities and feeds on the chaos that follows.

Considering that Eve is a ghost and roams the afterlife world, you can understand why I was
DarkHeart "Vehngeance"
I put off reading this book, and therefore continuing with the series, because I wasn't convinced that I would find Eve an appealing enough character to want to read an entire book centered around her - I'm happy to have discovered those concerns were unfounded. Eve made an endearing mother to Savannah and an amusing and caring partner for Kristof (who I was also unconvinced about going in).

Although it wasn't a short book, the story felt fast paced and never dragged. The Nix was an interesting a
Jamieson
Mar 01, 2008 Jamieson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the fifth installment of the best selling “Women of the Otherworld” series, we are treated to a new narrator. Armstrong, who never does the same thing twice, gave us a Werewolf as the narrator for the first two books in the series: “Bitten” and ”Stolen.“ Then she switched focus to a Witch in “Dime Store Magic” and “Industrial Magic.“ Now, the focus changes once more and in ”Haunted,“ we are introduced to Eve Levine: former witch and supernatural super power, now a ghost.

Eve Levine first appea
Megan
How is it that by my fifth book in Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series I am in love with her world building, but still not totally connected to her characters? The amazing thing about Armstrong is that she creates such in depth and believable paranormal worlds (in this case an afterlife.)

Haunted follows the story of Eve Levine, by now everyone reading this series knows she is a half-demon black witch, who also happens to have been dead for the past three years. But while reading th
Wren | WrensReads
WrensReads Review

I love Eve. I don't relate to her as much as I do Paige, but I do in the sense that I don't always see the "nice" or "good" way to do something as the most logical solution.

Eve is dead.

As you would know if you have read the previous books. If you haven't then STOP READING THIS AND MOVE ON TO THE FIRST BOOK AND WORK YOUR WAY BACK. There is a reason why it is the FIFTH BOOK IN THE SERIES.

Anyway,

Eve is OBSESSED with trying to protect her daughter Savannah. Which is normal for a mot
Kat
Basic Plot: What happened to Eve Levine after she was murdered (offstage, so to speak) in the novel Stolen? Well, she turned into a ghost. After irritating the Fates, they assign her to a job catching a demon who escaped from hell.

This book was about twice as long as it needed to be. There were endless sections of the book dealing with red herrings that dragged the plot into a swampy morass of endless NOTHING. The book took me almost a month to read. Ridiculous. The plot did pick up at the end,
Steven
This one was tough for me, and I'm not sure why. I don't dislike Eve. I don't dislike Kristof. I really liked the concept and execution of the Nix... but this book just felt all over the place, and honestly, it was hard to believe that the "bad Kristof" and the "dark witch Eve" were so completely good guys in the afterlife.

Not sure what to say. Since I kinda liked it, I'll give it three stars. It was average at best, especially compared to the first four in the series. Excited to read another E
This is the 6th book in the Women of the Otherworld series and it was the weakest one in the series I thought. I expected this book to center around Jamie the necromancer and instead it was focused on Eve - Savanah's mother who died a few books back.

The entire story was basically a story of Eve's redemption. She was a "bad witch" in the previous stories and when she was killed she went to some supernatural death realm where she obsessed over her daughter Savanah. The Fate's decided to give her
Aimee
It's not that there was any one specific thing wrong with this book. I just couldn't connect with Eve. I'm pretty sure it's my own biases...I love Elena....can't bring myself to like someone else in this series.

It took everything I had to read Paige's books...and I actually LIKED her. I can't say the same for Eve. I only made it about 85 pgs before I gave up.
I'm going to pick this one up again at a later date and give it another chance. Ms. Armstrong is a great writer and this is no exceptio
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

We have come to book five in the Women of the Otherworld series and Armstrong has now shifted her focus to Eve Levine, the half demon black witch who seems to scare the hell out of everyone...even after she has died. Of course, the afterlife isn't exactly what Eve expected, but it isn't so bad, especially as she can watch over her daughter Savannah, even if she can't do anything. But, the Fates have a task for her, capture the demi demon Nix that is wreaking havoc on the human world, but angels
Celine
Apr 05, 2010 Celine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you like the Women of the Otherworld series or not, one thing is certain; the books all have something that makes them unique. The most intriguing aspect of this book was our new narrator: Eve Levine.

What makes Eve so special is that she's dead, and has been dead quite a while now. She's a ghost, living in the supernatural plane. She can visit the world of the living, but she is unable to actually influence anything there. She is ripped from her obsessing over her 15-year-old still livin
Katie Michaels
No one can accuse Kelley Armstrong of taking the easy road. Imagine a book where the heroine is dead. She's been dead, in fact, for three years. Her love interest is dead too. He died at 47 with a paunchy belly and thinning hair. Oh, and they both have a reputation for being evil. That's the short version of Eve Levine and Kristof Nash. But there is so much more to the story than what you see at first glance.

Both Eve and Kristof exist in one of many ghostly planes. Kris is eager to renew the lov
Luke
I loved Haunted more than I thought I would... And I loved Eve more than I thought I would...

I forgot how long ago, and I don't know why, but I took a break from this series after reading Industrial Magic. I don't remember what influenced me to return to the series now, of all times, but why the hell didn't I come back to it sooner?!

I didn't really know much about Eve, aside from the fact that she was Savannah's mother, that she was half-witch, half-demon, and that she was...well, dead. So it w
Lauren
Haunted
3 Stars

As a half-demon / half-witch, Eve Levine lived her life in the fast lane with little care for the consequences of her actions. Now that she is dead, not much has changed. When the Fates call in a favor, Eve agrees to hunt down and capture an evil spirit wrecking havoc on the living world, but things aren’t as easy as they seem and Eve will have to call on all her resources if she is to outwit the tricky Nix…

Good world building as always and an entertaining plot, but Eve is not a li
Cathy (cathepsut)
It's been long enough since the last book for me to remember very little about these characters. I could have done with some more background info, what happened before this. Why is Kristof not angry with Eve for what she pulled with their daughter? And I miss Elena, my main reason for reading this series. Still, good writing, believable characters and good plot, if you like ghosts, witches and demons... Good world building, too. But the story dragged a lot. This was way too long. Any suspense wa ...more
Gina
I really liked this one. Plenty of suspense and intrigue, and I like Eve's attitude. She makes for a strong woman, dead or alive. I thought the ending was perfect!
Stephen
Spectacular!

Oh, I guess I should say more...

Let me start at the beginning, not of this book, but of this series.

Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld was just barely on my radar until I saw the new TV series - Bitten. I picked up the first book, also called Bitten, and was hooked on the story of the only female werewolf, Elena Michaels. Book 2, Stolen, continued with the same main POV character and also introduced other supernatural beings, like witches, sorcerers, vampires, and so on.

Then came Book 3,
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Ah, this book in the series is now my new favorite-for now anyway.

I can't believe how much I liked Eve and Kristof as the leads. It seems that Eve isn't quite as bad of a person as the people that survived her seemed to think she was. Oh, don't get me wrong. She wasn't the best person. She can only be somewhat considered a good person. One thing I'm certain of is that she isn't evil. She and Kristof both are bit morally bankrupt, but neither of them is evil. The biggest surprise, though, was jus
Cherie
Mar 24, 2008 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this, Kelley's 5th novel in her Women of the Otherworld series, nearly as much as the first four. This book centers on Eve, and unlike previous stories, has little to do with any of the other characters I've grown to know and love.

Eve is Savannah's mother, and a ghost in the afterlife. She's unsettled and is having a difficult time leaving her mortal life behind and embracing her new "afterlife" with Kristof Nash, Savannah's father whom we met in Dime Store Magic. Even though Eve
Jody
Jul 03, 2009 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haunted is the 5th book in the Women of the Otherworld series, and once again we are treated to a new perspective as this story is told from Eve’s point of view. Eve is a very likable character, and I enjoyed finally getting to know her (even though she’s dead!) but despite that, Haunted is my least favorite of the Otherworld novels so far. I’ve mentioned in my previous reviews of this series that one of the things I love most about Kelley Armstrong’s writing is how she always manages to create ...more
Kitty
Dec 30, 2008 Kitty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This wasn't a bad book. It was fairly action-packed, and I really enjoyed the last couple of chapters. However, it was definitely my least favorite of the series so far - but I love this series, so I'm trying to read them all in order. As with all the books in this series, it includes many characters we've already met, but focuses on one particular "woman of the Otherworld" - in this case, Eve Levine. I think there were three things that made this book less enjoyable for me:

(1) Eve Levine is dea
Kathy
Nov 24, 2007 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From a blog post I wrote in 2006:

I found a new author I really dig. Kelley Armstrong has a series of books out with supernatural characters. I whipped through Bitten, Stolen, Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, Haunted and Broken in no time at all.

The first two and the last books have as their main character the lone female werewolf in the world. The third and fourth book have a young witch as the focal point and the fifth one features the story of a dead (but ghostly) witch.

These were really go
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
The notorious Eve Levine gets recruited to be an angel. Who'da thunk it?

Not me, that's for dang sure.

The wonderful thing about dealing with the subject of the afterlife it that the sky is the limit. Nothing is too far-fetched or fantastical.

If dead supes want to play at being pirates, who is going to stop them?

If you want to erase the memories of evil (serial killer-type) men before banishing them to hell-worlds, with no one but other evil men (to prevent further serial killing), who is going
Suzan
Feb 02, 2012 Suzan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans
While I do love this book (it is Kelley writing!) it isn't my favourite of the series, I prefer the werewolves books, Paige's books and Jaime's! However having said that I do love Eve! Her sarcastic attitude reminds me of Elena but Eve has less of a moral code! She is as stubborn as Elena and Paige as well but she comes through in the end. My favourite thing about this book though is seeing the world of the afterlife explored, seeing more of the fates and how things operate on the otherside.
I al
Mel
Aug 29, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, favorites
Reread 2012

Haunted was one of of the first urban fantasy novels I read. It might have been 2007 or 2008, I'd hadn't voluntarily read a book in years - the too many study books and 'really good Dutch literature' my mom forced on me having quashed my appetite for reading all together. But I was commuting 3 hours a day and I desperately needed something to fill the time with, so I accepted my sister's suggestion to pick up a book from her book shelf.
At that time I had only read the occasional Eng
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
From http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy....

At a Glance
Haunted was a good read but it added nothing to the series as a whole.

The Good
I am always interested to see how authors envision the afterlife and Armstrong apparently has a vivid imagination because she created one hell of a complex world for the dead. I did find many of her descriptions very interesting because she created a detailed picture that I could imagine myself being sucked into.

I never cared to know more about Eve, the dead, da
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I can't remember what were my original thoughts on this book; no doubt I enjoyed it because it is Kelley Armstrong after all but, Haunted made quite the impression on me this time around. I've always been a fan of Eve Levine's character. She's not a clear cut good guy or bad guy which makes her POV interesting to read because you never know what to expect. Armstrong's creativity really shines through in this installment by opening up an all new supernatural universe, that
Heather
Feb 23, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Honestly I don't read a lot of books about witches and magicks~ and whatnot, that whole sub-genre doesn't interest me much at all, but because I like the author I made the leap into her witchy novels a while back. As much as I usually enjoy Kelley Armstrong's books this is probably my least favourite. I can't exactly put my finger on what it is about it I don't like, I just know that at some point before I was halfway through it started to feel like a chore. The premise is fine, and I was aware ...more
Vampires, Weres a...: Haunted 4 10 Aug 16, 2016 10:54AM
  • Chill Factor (Weather Warden, #3)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • Blood Lines (World of the Lupi, #3)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac, #2)
  • Darkling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Thunderbird Falls  (Walker Papers, #2)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Women of the Otherworld (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2)
  • Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3)
  • Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #4)
  • Broken (Women of the Otherworld, #6)
  • No Humans Involved (Women of the Otherworld, #7)
  • Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld, #8)
  • Living with the Dead (Women of the Otherworld, #9)
  • Frostbitten (Women of the Otherworld, #10)
  • Waking the Witch (Women of the Otherworld, #11)

“You'll wrest a burning sword from an angel, but you're afraid of bats?"
"I'm not afraid of them. I just don't like them. They're...furry. Flying things shouldn't be furry. It's not right. And if I ever meet the Creator, I'm taking that one up with him."
"That I'd like to see. Your one and possible only chance to get the answer to every question in the universe, and you ask, 'Why are bats furry?'"
"I will. You just wait.”
238 likes
“A G-Rated story? About taking some deformed baby and locking him up? And if it was true, and this poor guy had been locked up in there for decades, and someone threw in a perfectly good woman, what the hell do you think he'd do with her? Play Parcheesi?” 51 likes