Start by marking “At Home in France: Tales of an American and Her House Abroad” as Want to Read:
At Home in France: Tales of an American and Her House Abroad

At Home in France: Tales of an American and Her House Abroad

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Ann Barry was a single woman, working and living in New York, when she fell in love with a charming house in Carennac in southwestern France. Even though she knew it was the stuff of fantasy, even though she knew she would rarely be able to spend more than four weeks a year there, she was hooked. This spirited, captivating memoir traces Ms. Barry's adventures as she follow ...more
Published March 1st 1996 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about At Home in France, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Home in France

Deborahkemp
Loved, loved, loved this book. I read it again every few years. Great about life in France, about living in another culture, about growing older. Barry was a New Yorker editor. Sadly, she died of cancer at age 53.
Teresa
This book is based on actual events in the author's life, and, as such, was enjoyable to read the experiences of another American in the Provence. This was fun to read, and I'm going to go back and read it again soon.
Karijean31
This is why I read books: you slip into a story, someone else's adventures and you get whisked away into another world. So fun to read the little fun things that happen to her. Made me want to eat and travel.
Sharon
This is the true story of Ann Barry of Manhatten. She had travelled to a small village in France while on vacation, staying at the cottage of a friend. She loved the area and ended up purchasing a nearby rustic cottage in Carennac in southwestern France. There are beautiful descriptions of the local food and her week trying to find the best bread. Barry has actually written food and travel articles for The New Yorker and the New York Times, which is probably why her book excells in this detail. ...more
Ed Fenendael
This book was a joy to read as one follows the author on her journey. Parts are hilarious; parts are frustrating but all in all I appreciated the author's sharing her journey and adventure.
Nancy Dardarian
I love expat books, and this story of a spinster in France was very sweet and a little sad, too.
Reading this book led me to want to visit the Dordogne section of SW France, and it became one of my favorite regions when we visited in 2006. It might have been my very favorite region, full of castles, rivers, small villages, and 15,000 year-old cave paintings, but I couldn't completely get past their obsession with foie grois and duck pate. We visited many of the villages and monuments that Barry describes, and I was never disappointed. Of all the memoirs about buying a house in France, this ...more
Deb
nonfiction. Author is single, lives in NY and falls in love w/a home in Carennac in the sw of France. This book is endearing as it really describes everything about her getting her house fixed up to live in, her neighbors, her life. I wanted to go there from reading her book! Ann was a writer for the New Yorker and the NYTimes. I couldnt wait for her next book; however, Ann died of cancer in 1996. This book is very special to read and be glad she enjoyed her short life so much!
Laurie
Some moments were warm and funny, most moments it was like reading a housewifes not so interetsing diary. Too much use of French without translation. I guessed at what the French probably meant based on the context of the paragraph, but really would have liked English, at least in paranthesis, to tell me what was being said.
Robin
My French teacher loaned this to me - a nice escape. Wish I was there! This was a very fun read. The experiences of the author/home owner were exciting enough to keep your interest and mundane enough to support the title of the book - I felt right "at home". (or wished ...)
Cheryl Sharkey
I found this a little sad , beautfully written and sincere but i felt like she was a little distant for my taste maybe even a little boring at times
Jayne Niemi
A decent diary of buying a house on one's own in France. More ordinary than I expected, but I admired her bravery in doing things on her own.
Meg
Thoroughly enjoyable. Fun to learn about her adventures of owning a home in an away from it all corner of France.
Kimberlyn
an American journalist buys a home in the Lot district in France. Nice stories
Carol Best
Loved this book...I felt like was in France with the author.
Pippin
this got pretty tedious. i lost interest.
Kate Ann
Kate Ann marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Gabriella
Gabriella marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Janette
Janette marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Tricia Ireland
Tricia Ireland marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014