Start by marking “Inheritance (Warhammer) (Von Carstein, #1)” as Want to Read:
Inheritance (Warhammer) (Von Carstein, #1)

Inheritance (Warhammer) (Von Carstein #1)

The first of a trilogy that tells the rise and fall of the most infamous family of vampires in the Warhammer world - the Von Carsteins. When Vlad Von Carstein becomes ruler of the haunted land of Sylvania, a plague of evil is set loose. Can anyone save the Empire from this bloodthirsty family of vampires and their shambling undead armies?
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published March 28th 2006 by Games Workshop (first published March 16th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Inheritance (Warhammer), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inheritance (Warhammer)

Dylan Murphy
Well, I have really been looking forward to reading this series, and I was not disappointed! Now, the novel wasn’t perfect, but it was still a hell of an exciting read!
It has some pacing issues, and probably due to its age it had some character issue that I personally found to really take away from how great this novel was. That said, it was still a blast.
The prologue was absolutely brilliant, with the crowning of Vlad von Carstein as the new count of Sylvania and his first time meeting his fu
Kris43
This is a Warhammer Fantasy universe. Its a typical fantasy universe, but darker than Tolkien's. Among other things, its based upon Michael Moorcock's work. This was my first contact with Warkammer and i like its world.

The good:
Its a story about how one of its fractions, Von Carstein vampires where created. All in all its a satisfying mix of epic and dark fantasy with healthy dose of horror. The book is fun to read and it has a good pacing.

The bad:
There is no complexity here. For a dark fantas
Sydnie Jones
Jul 08, 2008 Sydnie Jones rated it really liked it
Wow, Wow- Once you get into this book its hard to get back out- It immediately sucks you in with the detail and excitement. Steven Savile really did well on this one. And it is a major thumbs up due to the pristine correctness of what a vampire is and should be. The personalities of Count Von Carstien, his Wife, and Posner were so proper for the vampire Race. It didnt help much that the Count was so sexy as well -Melts-
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
I've just readed this book. And it was great. It will enrich not only the fans of warhammer but also the fans of vampires. If you play with the Vampire Count army I think you will liked it. It won't tell you anything you don't know (About the army) but It will give some depht and history to your army. I think you will like it.

Good Things : The characters and the plot itself.
Things to improve in the next books: I think Mr. Savile would do better to take some depht to the vampires and take more t
Michael T Bradley
May 17, 2015 Michael T Bradley rated it liked it
I had the same problem with this on a re-read as I did on the original. It starts following two characters, and in typical Warhammer fashion, these two characters get killed and/or turned to the dark side, and frustratingly stop being as interesting. This time I read knowing what I was getting into, and curious more about the Von Carsteins, since apparently Mannfred has come back for the End Times.

Again, I very much enjoyed the first third or so of the book, but when that rug gets yanked on you
Benjamin
Apr 06, 2016 Benjamin rated it really liked it
This was a really fun, light read that had all the major plot points of a summer blockbuster mixed with a Halloween horror fest. Nothing really deep but a good amount of fun to be had. I didn't expect some of the characters to end up the way they did, others I saw coming a mile away. Overall though, if you're a fan of the Warhammer world then this book is an important part of that world's lore. You should pick it up and remember the Old World for what it is worth in today's Age of Sigmar ...more
Babis Papadimitriou
Jun 09, 2016 Babis Papadimitriou rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An entertaining read, although i found the characters a little bit lacking. The vampire count is an imposing figure albeit one that is never fully developed. I wanted to see more of him. The setting was reminiscent of other classic fantasy worlds like lord of the rings or forgotten realms. I think the book tries occasionally to move away from the classic good vs evil trope (most of the people aren't actually entirely good with some notable exceptions) but for the most part it's a good vs evil ...more
Dirty  Grim
Mar 01, 2010 Dirty Grim rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel. An amazingly written warhammer novel about Vlad Von Carstein, a vampire count that rivals Dracula.
Every sentence is just so wicked! I cant wait to read the rest of the series, any fantasy fans should check out Warhammer Novels.
Jonathan
Dec 25, 2013 Jonathan rated it liked it
It was not particularly well written, but it had an engaging story and definitely kept me interested.
Антон
Feb 01, 2013 Антон rated it liked it
Вроде и неплохо идет. Вампиры, кровь, страдани, все быстро и внезапно.
Но с другой.. с другой кхм.. ничего не остается после прочтения.
Throndin
Throndin rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2012
J. Calcano
J. Calcano rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2012
Calamity
Calamity rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2009
Corvus7
Corvus7 rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Ignacio Senao f
Ignacio Senao f rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2015
Derrick
Derrick rated it it was ok
May 20, 2016
Matthias
Matthias rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Jason Freeze
Jason Freeze rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
MegaSolipsist
MegaSolipsist rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Rita Luciana
Rita Luciana rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Antonio Hernández Cabrera
Antonio Hernández Cabrera rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Clyde Wolfe
Clyde Wolfe rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2012
Tvorozhoque
Tvorozhoque rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2016
Craig McMillan
Craig McMillan rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2010
Derrick
Derrick rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
DarkChaplain
DarkChaplain rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
  • Lord of Ruin
  • Bloodforged
  • Witch Finder
  • Guardians of the Forest
  • Drachenfels (Warhammer) (The Vampire Genevieve, #1)
  • Reiksguard
  • Vampireslayer
  • Malekith
Steven Savile (born October 12, 1969, in Newcastle, England) is a British fantasy, horror and thriller writer, and editor living in Stockholm, Sweden. His published work includes novels and numerous short stories in magazines and anthologies.
More about Steven Savile...

Von Carstein (3 books)
  • Dominion (Warhammer) (Von Carstein, #2)
  • Retribution