Start by marking “How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids” as Want to Read:
How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids

How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  1,369 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
An illustrated adaptation of the long-running bestseller How Full Is Your Bucket? (more than 400,000 copies sold) for kids — told through the story of a boy who learns a valuable “bucket filling” metaphor and watches it come to life as the day unfolds.

Every moment matters.

Each of us has an invisible bucket. When our bucket is full, we feel great. When it’s empty, we feel a
Published April 1st 2009 by Gallup Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids

Beth  (YA Books Central)
Aug 16, 2015 Beth (YA Books Central) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
"When Felix wakes up one morning, he finds an invisible bucket floating overheard.
A rotten morning threatens his mood-and his bucket- drop by drop.
Can Felix discover how to refill his bucket before its completely empty?"

How Full Is Your Bucket is an inspirational children's book that is filled with metaphors to help children to see how to view right and wrong. Felix's grandfather explains to him that everyone has a bucket and depending on his and other's actions...his bucket can either be ful
Tim Vandenberg
Nov 27, 2013 Tim Vandenberg rated it liked it
An important & beautiful message for all kids (and adults).

However, the execution of this book (both in its text AND art) really fell short for me. I think a better (and much more powerful) rendition could have, and should have, been delivered.

For example: "Each Kindness" by Jacqueline Woodson & E. B. Lewis.

Recommended for its message alone. Don't expect much from the predictable story & lackluster art.
Lindsay
Nov 04, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
With creative use of metaphor, Felix's grandpa helps him to understand that everyone has an invisible bucket that follows them around all day. When bad things happen, the bucket slowly loses its water. When good things happen, water is added to the bucket. Felix wakes up one morning able to see everyone's previously invisible buckets and realizes how his actions affect them and their buckets. He changes his behaviors to become more of a bucket-filler than a bucket-emptier. He finally notices how ...more
Keri
Apr 18, 2011 Keri rated it it was amazing
Category: Grades K-3, Book #25

This book set the tone for my entire school year. The premise is to teach children about what their actions can do to help someone or to put them down. All of our conversations when it comes to behavior are about "bucket filling behaviors." The children can easily understand the concept and apply it to their own behavior.

Critic Review from Barnes and Noble.com:
School Library Journal
- K-Gr 2—Based on the author's adult work How Full Is Your Bucket? (Gallup, 2004), th
Casandria
Dec 13, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it
I was surprised at how much I liked this book. It shows in very clear ways how we break each other down and build each other up.
Tori Webster
Sep 07, 2015 Tori Webster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This is a wonderful book about a boy that comes to the realization that how he treats others can have an effect on them. The metaphor of a "bucket" is used to show how others (including the dog) feel when they are treated good/bad by others.
In the classroom, I use this book at the beginning of every school year. I do a lesson about how to empty/fill a bucket and discuss with the class how we should be filling one another's buckets everyday. It is a great classroom management/community tool.
This
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
In this story of a 36 hour period of a boy's life, Felix discovers the principles of how to fill or empty his own bucket as well as those around him with feelings of happiness or sadness. As the events of the day unfold and he interacts with family, friends and classmates Felix learns to recognize those whose buckets need refilling and how helping those in need of a boost also fills his own bucket with positive feelings. Try this story first as children love to relate to the message of the story ...more
Shellie
illustrated by Maurie J. Manning

EVERY person who breaths air should read this book!
It is seriously an amazing little book.
As you go through your day and life are you filling or emptying your bucket?
As you go through your day and life are you filling or emptying other people's buckets?
It's that easy. Everything we say and do will either fill or empty joy in your bucket or other's.
You DO make a difference!

And yes the illustrations are as good as the book.

This is just my opinion, read the book to f
Lexi
Nov 19, 2012 Lexi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-2, 3-5, owned
This is a book about filling each others invisible buckets. making people feel good about themselves through encouragement and positive feedback.

I taught a lesson in a third grade class using this book with cutout buckets. The students loved the idea that they could write nice notes to their friends and help everyone's buckets fill up.

I recommend everyone read this book or the more adult version because it is something we as a society can do for each other to make living a little easier.
Melanie
Jan 08, 2010 Melanie rated it liked it
I loved the adult version of this book. I did like this one, however I felt like it wasn't as child friendly as it could have been...I was hoping for more examples and it seemed a little too obscure for my 5 year old. However, I still like it and would recommend it. We talk a lot about filling buckets in our family :)
Danna
Dec 10, 2009 Danna rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. We all need to remember that we have a choice each time we encounter someone. We can choose to "fill" their bucket with our kind words or deeds. Or "empty" their bucket with unkind words or actions. It is such a simple thing to give a smile or a thoughtful gesture that can make someone's day.

So remember to "fill" the bucket of those around you.
Lori
May 04, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What a great book written to help people to understand the idea that if you help or give to another soul, you will reap a reward for your kindness. Many times more than you give. Each good deed fills your bucket another drop. Their good deeds to you fills your bucket as well. But if they do something mean to you it takes a drop away. Cleverly written and great for children of adults!
Chardell
Jan 28, 2010 Chardell rated it it was amazing
This book is a winner when it comes to showing that sometimes people need to make one another feel better. It’s about making everyone feel better by using the idea of a bucket. The idea is to keep everyone’s bucket full, which is a way of cheering others up. I say it's perfect from grades pre-k to 3rd grade.
Dyan
Sep 12, 2009 Dyan rated it it was amazing
Awesome book teaches about the link between self-esteem and kindness and respect to others via the metaphor of full and empty bucket...a must read! (Bullies are bucket dippers because their buckets are empty!)
Molly
May 10, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: character-trait
Motivational book for kids. This will be loved by the circle of grandparents who are looking for a straight forward character trait book. Ages 5+
Francesca
Apr 09, 2012 Francesca rated it really liked it
This is a great book for character development and for helping kids understand how our words can affect others.
Melanie Swider
Our whole school read this book aloud to our classes last school year and refer to it constantly to remind students that we needed to fill one another's buckets rather than dip buckets.
Saima Pradhan
Sep 06, 2009 Saima Pradhan rated it it was amazing
This book teaches the reader how important it is to be nice to others so they can build their confidence.
Barbara
Jul 13, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it
read this and we are giving it to all our teachers this fall to start off the new school year. We hope they use in their classrooms. Great postive strategies.
Beverly
Jul 25, 2009 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Good book for helping to teach children to be positive.
Wafa
Jan 26, 2010 Wafa added it
aya loved it.
Nevada Libert
May 23, 2014 Nevada Libert rated it really liked it
this is a great book about kindness,
Cheri
May 01, 2009 Cheri rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is a cute book about learning to look at the positives instead of the negatives.
Eileen
Aug 11, 2009 Eileen rated it really liked it
Good message about being nice to others and the rewards from being positive
Amanda
Jan 02, 2017 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This book is great for helping kids understand how we affect each other and how the way we treat others also affects how we feel about ourselves. Highly recommend it!
Maki
Feb 04, 2017 Maki rated it really liked it
Great book about how to be kind to others.
Alex Sissel
I liked it because it had nice thoughts on how to treat others.
Cleo White
Nov 16, 2015 Cleo White added it
Shelves: wow-books
“Like everyone else, Anna has an invisible bucket. When it’s empty, she feels bad. But, when it’s full, she feels great.”

This story begins with a boy named Felix having an argument with his little sister. At the end of their tiff, Felix’s grandfather told him that he had “dipped” from his sister’s bucket. He went on to explain that everyone had an invisible bucket that can be empty or full, making them feel bad or good. The rest of the story follows Felix as he experiences bad things/people that
Susan
Aug 30, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
This book has an interesting premise, that each person (and maybe dog) has an invisible bucket that gets filled or emptied depending on how others treat them, and that you can fill your own bucket by taking actions that help others fill their buckets. I think the idea of being nice to others is a great message.

However, I couldn't help also feeling that it places a bit too much power in the hands of those around us rather than building resilience and belief in one's self. E.g. if getting picked
Kate Bretey
Sep 17, 2012 Kate Bretey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hestwood-digital
"How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids" is a great picture book for any age group. Although this particular version is geared to those of the grade school set, I found that the lessons it teaches can carry over. The premise of the book is that we all have an emotional bucket. If we are constantly inundated with negativity, our bucket will begin to leak and eventually be empty; leaving us unhappy, angry, and not a person that anyone wants to be around. Our bucket will only begin to fill back up again ...more
  • Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
  • Moo Hoo
  • Don't Laugh at Me (Reading Rainbow books)
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • Mr. Peabody's Apples
  • Skin Again
  • One Smart Cookie: Bite-Size Lessons for the School Years and Beyond
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • What If Everybody Did That?
  • The Recess Queen
ARE YOU FULLY CHARGED?, the latest national bestseller by Tom Rath, was released in mid 2015. Tom's six NYT/WSJ bestsellers have sold more than 6 million copies and made over 300 appearances on the Wall Street Journal Bestseller list. Connect with Tom at:

- www.tomrath.org