Start by marking “Natural Selection” as Want to Read:
Natural Selection

Natural Selection

A shocking biological discovery. A previously unknown predatory species. Evolving just like the dinosaurs. Now. Today. Being forced out of its world and into man's for a violent first encounter. Weaving science and thriller in a way not seen since Jurassic Park, Natural Selection introduces a phenomenally dangerous new species that is rapidly adapting in a way never before ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Hachette Books (first published June 1st 2006)

LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. Of course, you have to distend a lot of belief with this one, but it's still fabulous. It's pretty much Jaws, only with giant flying Manta Rays. Yes, you read that correctly.
Aug 23, 2008 Dena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi/horror fans
Unique read on new specie finding. Great for those who are facinated by the "what-if" and want a good twist of horror associated with it.
Lance Howell
Aug 30, 2008 Lance Howell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just bought this at an airport for something to read while on a plane. If you've read my other reviews, you know that I really enjoy science fiction so of course I liked this one.

My favorite scene in this book is when the new species is hunting a group of dolphins and the dolphins put up some pretty good maneuvers. But the way it was written made me understand exactly how the dolphins were thinking and how confused they were. So interesting.
Dec 03, 2008 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q2-2008
Dec 04, 2008 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up from the library based solely on the cover. I admit the premise of a manta ray learing to fly is far-fetched but it was still fun to read. Several scenes you could almost guess what was going to happen next but overall I thought it was an enjoyable read.
Mary Lizotte
May 08, 2009 Mary Lizotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
It's been two years since I heard this, but I remember well how absorbing this thriller was and I remember that I enjoyed the narrator. I don't remember whom it was though.
May 12, 2009 Tressa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I'm surprised at the one and two star ratings for this book. I thought it was action-packed and quite scary. Sharks evolving so that they can fly and hunt their prey on land? The stuff of nightmares. I really enjoyed it.
Nov 29, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sea-creatures
This book was excellent! A strange creature resembling a manta ray is spotted in the Pacific ocean near the California coast where many seagulls, dolphins, and sharks have been disappearing. A team of scientists and biologists track it's migration north. They think it may be an evolutionary new species, predatory, deadly, rising from the ocean's depths, but why? What is causing it? Could it be a virus, nature's way of solving the world's over-population problem? I highly recommend this thrilling ...more
Jan 25, 2010 Athena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely interesting book that Darwin would be proud of. The characters are believable and irritating (as real people can be sometime!). This is a book that can make you think!
Sep 20, 2012 Victoria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was either a five-star book, or a one-star book depending on your perspective. I mean, it was laughably bad in places and the whole story was absolutely ludicrous... giant, flying (air-breathing) manta rays? The “science” bordered ludicrous at best. There used to be an Amazon review posted by a “C. Gull” that no longer appears to be posted, which actually is what made me buy this book in the first place. The numerous errors that he painstakingly recorded not only made me laugh, but def ...more
Randy Daugherty
Apr 05, 2011 Randy Daugherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the depths they came, migrating searching for a dwindling food supply, as they came they grew, they changed, they evolved and they adapted, some faster than others but changed non the less.
A group of Marine biologist on the verge of making a new discovery, a new species,a world changing discovery.
If only they had known, with a brain twice the size of man and learning and adapting as it grew and explored, was this mans newest addition to the world or was it the beginning of the a new world o
John Yelverton
Sep 17, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started off so well with a new species of ray evolving into a killing machine and the scientists quest to find it. By the end, it just turned into a bad "Syfy Channel" original movie. Still a fun read for science fiction fans.
Sep 21, 2011 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Freedman...amateur author and possibly professional biologist???

The book was chock-full of scientific reasonings and biology knowledge. It might not all have been true, but it was very convincing.

The story was different, the setting interesting, the "what-ifs" engaging.

The writing was a little amateurish at times, but it's a first novel, I can look past that for the enjoyment of a good story.

I read a lot of books. A lot. Even before I began reviewing them, I always had a book in my hand or in my bag. True crime is among my preferred genres. I don't scare or get freaked out easily. Natural Selection scared me. More than once I found myself actually speaking to a character, saying "No! Don't go there!" or "No! Don't touch it!" If I could have continued reading with my hands over my eyes, I think I would have.

Natural Selection is a cyclone of crazy action, biological discoveries and a
Jeff Herman
Nov 25, 2011 Jeff Herman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is a great reminder of how vast,mysterious and potentially deadly the ocean can be. Despite the book being fiction, there was alot of non-fiction references and the possibilities of a new species being discovered in depths of our oceans makes this book a great one to get the mind thinking about the "what ifs".
Kyle Braberry
Feb 11, 2012 Kyle Braberry rated it really liked it
An honest to goodness terrifying read on how quickly a species can adapt to the ever changing world and that mankind is not as dominant as we thought anymore.
Mar 10, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on audio and I thought it was great!! It grabbed you right from the beginning and kept me interested. One of the reviews I read called it a "Cross between Jurassic Park and Jaws" and that was fairly accurate. It wasn't quite "Sci-Fi" cause it was actually plausible, so it was more of a "What if..." story. The basic story consisted of the theory that creatures living at the bottom of the oceans for millions of years, were forced to the surface due to a man-made virus. Once ...more
Jun 19, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding read. One of the fastest page turners I've read in a very long time. I agree with others that the writing's not Chaucer. So what. Chaucer's boring. This guy isn't. Intense concept about a new species of flying predator. Masterful execution. Really scary. Loved it.
Oct 01, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read it sparked some intriguing stuff. The depth in explanation and the way he described his internal details. The book sounded more real then a figure of imagination.
Gina M Jordan
Jan 08, 2015 Gina M Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the fastest reads despite the science & tech, this novel reads like the best Crichton with a credibility of an expert in his field. Highly recommended!
Jan 16, 2016 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This was a very good and exciting book. I love books like this, monsters against mankind, or at least some members of mankind.

I thought the plot moved very quickly and the ending, oh my gosh the ending, talk about your nail biter!

I would love to see this book made into a movie, the giant manta rays would be fantastic, I've always thought rays were kind of creepy anyway, especially when you see their undersides.

Anyway I did really enjoy the story, it seemed to be well researched, I only had a pro
Feb 07, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very unique way of telling the story from not only the human perspective but from the predator and sea life perspective too.

There are unimaginable predators in the lowest points of the ocean but because of a virus their food supplies are drying up. Therefore, they must go to shallower waters. They adapt, oh so fast.

Jason and his group of scientist are trying to find out why manta rays have died in captivity until the discovery of the new life form. Then all attention is drawn to learning more a
Jul 20, 2015 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! Would have given it 5 stars but it dragged on a little in parts. I thought it was a really cool, scary but realistic premise! They should make it a movie!
Aug 20, 2015 Bobbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently a new species of ray appears off the coast of California, but this is not just a story that takes place in the sea. Terrific plot. Non-stop action. Very imaginative. Not all the characters were at first likeable or trying to work together but they had all bonded by the end. The last few chapters could have been made more understandable if there has been a map of the area. Sometimes I was confused about where the action was taking place. But highly entertaining. I would like to know of ...more
Dec 31, 2015 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best "sea monster" books I've read yet.

This is the story of a previously unknown species - an unknown order for that matter - that has evolved in the deepest parts of the ocean for thousands of years. Due to a rising spread of aquatic disease and the subsequent die-off of their food sources, the creatures are forced to move up to the surface waters in search for prey. The older generation are unable to adapt to their new challenges, but the younger ones - with their six pound brains -
Oct 30, 2015 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing more enticing than finding a review that compares a book to JURASSIC PARK for me. This is so much more, and I dare say more entertaining on a lot of levels.

It takes the theory of aberrant evolution and mainlines a factory's worth of Red Bull into it. It takes one of the ocean's most beautiful and majestic creatures and dials them forward -- and backward -- on their evolutionary timeline to create a new animal that the world is not ready for.

There's no stopping the pace of the storytellin
First off I have to say that i actually had to re start this book because I lost my book maker and I couldn't what page I was on, any way this is a five star re read for me, loved the concept of the story,all the time I was reading it ,it kept me think about how even to this day we still don't know everything about what living at the bottom of the ocean even though we do make some discovery, and we'll probably never will either,it also kept me thinking about how even to this day different animal ...more
Nov 25, 2015 Karin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant story with regards to evolution.
One of the first audiobooks that I listened to that wasn't narrated by the author. I guess that is why I tended to lose track of who's who and made listening to the story a bit confusing at times. The narrator didn't give the individuals any individuality.
May 07, 2016 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert!

Due to an oceanic virus destroying its natural food source, a type of sea ray is forced to adapt and evolve. Unfortunately for humanity, the species is an intelligent predator. And it is very hungry. A research team and army veteran follow the group of the group of rays and soon discover that the creatures have learned to fly and have become air-breathers. One dominant member of the rays leaves its ocean habitat and establishes a hunting ground in California State Park and kills a
  • Leviathan
  • The Black: Arrival
  • Extinct
  • From The Deep
  • Crustaceans
  • Hell's Aquarium (MEG #4)
  • Below
  • Clickers
  • The Flock
  • Kronos Rising: After 65 Million Years, the World's Greatest Predator Is Back.
  • Beast
  • Kronos (Origins, #5)
  • Teeth (The South Pacific Trilogy #1)
  • Big Ass Shark