Mimmy and Sophie All Around the Town

Mimmy and Sophie All Around the Town

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Homemade fun and simple pleasures abound

Mimmy and Sophie are sisters who live in Brooklyn, New York, during the Great Depression. Even though their parents don't have a lot of money, Mimmy and Sophie still have lots of fun together, whether they're finding treasure, going to Coney Island, or playing in mud puddles.

Charming black-and-white drawings by Thomas F. Yezerski a...more
Published March 10th 2004 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

KidsFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call # SH CH COHEN
No rating
This is a very sweet book perfect for readers, especially girls just beginning to read chapter books (short sentences and short chapter structure) We follow Mimmy and Sophie through several adventures in their depression era Brooklyn neighborhood. The setting and time frame are not a prominent feature, but are woven lightly throughout. These are timeless stories about family, particularly big and little sisters -about wanting to be included in the "big kid," games,...more
Brandi
Two young sisters have fun together in Depression-era Brooklyn in this children's chapter book good for transitional readers.
Cheryl
Aug 23, 2008 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2nd grade (read aloud), 3rd gr. and up
Shelves: sequel
I've been a fan of Miriam Cohen since I read "When Will I Read?", "Will I Have a Friend?," etc. to my son 15 years ago. A solid writer who understands kids' fears. This is a charming and nostalgic story set in 1940s (?) Brooklyn. The tender but not cloying affection and protectiveness of Mimmy for her younger sister rings timeless. I didn't realize this was a sequel--I will definitely read the first Mimmy & Sophie. Thomas Yezerski's illustrations (reminiscent of Reginald Marsh)complement the...more
Sarah Souther
Sisters Mimmy and Sophie have adventures typical to little girls in Brooklyn during the Great Depression. This works as a starter chapter book for kids who are getting into more complex read-alouds and as a "beyond easy" reader. Kids this age might not get all of the historical context, but they will identify with Sophie wanting to play with the big kids and going in search of buried treasure in an alley. Gr. 2-4.
Katie Jackson
This book follows two sisters' adventures around town. It has some historical content but it wouldn't be noticed by young readers. The girls get lost, dig for treasure, and take a trip to Coney Island. The girls make life fun even though they live in the Great Depression. This book is good for young girls who are beginning reading. The sentences are easy to read.
Child960801
Stories about depression era New York, though that hardly comes into it. These are lovely little stories about two sisters that have their differences, but that love each other. The illustrations are beautiful as well.
Angela
I was a little disappointed with the book. I could feel the protective sister instinct very strongly, but other than that the book fell flat.
Carrie
Carrie added it
May 16, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Katherine Fryar
Katherine Fryar marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2013
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Meghan
Meghan added it
Jan 17, 2013
Noah
Noah added it
Jan 17, 2013
Aaron Crabtree
Aaron Crabtree marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Jaimee
Jaimee marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2012
Will I Have a Friend? When Will I Read? First Grade Takes a Test A Daughter of Two Mothers Second Grade Friends