The Great Indoors

The Great Indoors

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  32 reviews
It's not that Martha Bone doesn't like children. It's more that they don't fit into her world: her shop, with its succession of beautiful distressed antiques; her flat, with its creamy sofa, its unwashable linen scatter-cushions, its aura of oatmeal and sand. Her sisters don't understand how she can live her life as she does, but Martha thinks everything looks just fine.

B...more
Published 2003 by Time Warner

To ask other readers questions about The Great Indoors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Indoors

Michele Bolay
I'm surpised at the low overall rating. Maybe Martha is a difficult heroine for some people? Granted, I'm an Anglophile who loves repressed characters. ;-) Anyway, I liked it enough to explore Durrant's other work.
Ruth
I liked this beautifully descriptive book and its quirky characters. Truly a lovely read!
Shay Noble
Durrant's main character, Martha, feels like the odd one out in her family and like she doesn't really fit in anywhere. She's 38, single and childless and spends her days working in her Antiques shop. She like things to be 'just right' but as she begins to delve into her past and uncovers some old school friends and ex-boyfriends her social life begins to blossom and her world is changed. I really enjoyed 'The Great Indoors,' it was a great read.
Alison
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Great characters and wonderful details. I was sorry to say goodbye.
Lee Sutter
Durrant's writing, and this novel, remind me a lot of Ann Tyler's books, with such quirky characters and overall mood. I think her prose is lovely and overall book very well written. Vivid descriptions. Especially loved the clown and his kids. All characters distinct and amusing. Protagonist Martha Bone seems to repeat the same mistakes in deciding on what kind of a life she wants, but I liked observing her. The three sisters would drive me crazy with their constant telephone calls and living th...more
Melanie
This story brought me right into Martha's antique shop and beckoned me into her family and all it's idiosyncrasies. Great story telling. Ver enjoyable and relatable read!!
Milissa
one of my favorite books. sweet, interesting, and surprisingly
romantic.
Stacy
The best way for me to write about this book is to take from the book cover:
A novel about what happens when mess life and love intrude on a young woman's prefectly ordered existence.

The back cover:
Martha Bone doesn't have children; she has furniture. She doesn't have a husband; she has her shop — Martha Bone Antiques, in a fashionable London suburb. Her married sisters can meddle all they want, but that is just the way she likes it. Though Martha loves her niece and nephews, children don't real...more
Kathleen
The London setting of this quiet, slice-of-life story is beautifully painted with a few understated brush strokes, much like the apartment of the protagonist is elegantly furnished with a careful eye for serene balance - yet something doesn't quite work. It isn't until the very end of this small glimpse into Martha's life that everything did come together, at least for me as a reader, leaving me with some hope that her passivity was tempered with new wisdom and a breath of fresh air, like openin...more
Sandra Campeau
One big yawn

Dragged on, kept waiting for something, anything to happen. Predictable ending
Katie Gonzalez
A bit depressing. The main character is trying to figure out her life, but only gets partway there.
Rachael
I don't know if I liked it or not. There were some sad moments, some that made me think. I'm deciding whether to keep it, or sell it.
Meaghan
wasnt the best book ever but it wasnt the same old chick lit either. different and interesting. the characters were real and the plot was unique.
Chana
It is British, it is funny, it has a cat in it; it was practically an RX prescription for me. The ending is little "over"; oversentimental, overlong, overdue. There are a couple of scenes that didn't ring true at the end like the reaction of the adults to 3 kids, 2 dogs and the sound of large amounts of breaking glass in the bathroom. The ending was not as good as the rest of the book, but I still liked it overall.
Tymir Kearse
Apr 08, 2011 Tymir Kearse rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
Recommended to Tymir by: friend
this book is so confusing but im trying to work it out but now that im on page 275 the book gets better. im only 13 and i don't think this book is suitable for kids that are under 13yrs old. i say that because in the begging it an ok book but towards the end of the book they start saying bad things and doing inapropriate things.
Cherie
I found this story to be predictable and slow. I did feel for the main character and what she was going through as a single woman who feels she should settle down with guy A (Mr. Perfect) when guy B is who she can't get out of her head. Can't say that I would recommend this to single or attached women.
Alexandria
Found this book to be a little dry and stark. Characters were delightfully awkward, and plain. reasonably engaging; written with a realists eye for emotional baggage and human relationships.
Sue
Martha is single and lives in England. She owns an antiques store. She doesn't like kids. Goes back out with an old boyfriend, David, but also likes Fred, the magician.
Kara
Very British. No real ending. It was on my to-read list forever, and now that I've read it, I can't understand why I put it on there in the first place. Just an OK book.
Erin
The book started out quite slow but I got into it more as the book went along. I didn't like the end however, I was quite disappointed with that.
Kiki
Pretty slow - Great if you love things being described in detail. Could relate to almost all the characters. Wasn't that pleased with the ending.
Kate Millin
About extended families –could identify with some characters and made me think about relationships with family and friends
K8e
It started out funny. Then I was speed reading to finish it. I didn't like the end. blah.
Kathryn
This book started off ok, but it got boring after a while, and I hated the ending.
Carrie
An ok book, kind of slow and to me it felt like it just abruptly ended.
Chelsea
Somewhat bland and hard to get through, but an interesting read in the end.
Shawnel
I must not understand British humor because I found this book extremely dull.
Rob & Liz
Slow read. Story of a middle grown child in a disfunctional family

Liz
Jen
This one's a little more literary than chick lit.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sabine Durrant lives in London, England, with her three children.
More about Sabine Durrant...
Under Your Skin Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles Having It and Eating It Remember Me This Way Bon Voyage, Connie Pickles

“You carry people around with you in your character; all the people you have been close to have made you a little bit of what you are.” 3 likes