Start by marking “Too Busy Not to Pray” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,097 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
Revised throughout with a new introduction and new chapter on praying for the needs of the world, this twentieth-anniversary edition of Too Busy Not to Pray calls both young and old to make prayer a priority, and broadens our vision for what our eternal, powerful God does when his people slow down to pray.
Published July 18th 2008 by Inter-Varsity Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Too Busy Not to Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Busy Not to Pray

Peter
Dec 26, 2008 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Busy not to Pray (Slowing down to be with God)
Bill Hybels
Inter-Varsity Press
ISBN: 0-85111-329-X

I read this book as part of the preparation for the week of prayer at Christ Church. Our vicar Warner recommended it. The back cover overview starts "Why should we pray? How can we when we are so busy?". Thats covers some of the reasons why I wanted to read it. Others include the questions of technique - just exactly WHAT can you do that will help you engage with God. The clue to this is in the sub
Ramona
Nov 16, 2009 Ramona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Busy Not to Pray was a 15-week study with my women's bible study group. This study challenged us to slow down in our busy lives & take the time to pray. We learned about God calling us into his presence, inviting us to talk with Him continuously, methods to use to break down the barriers that prevent us from praying to God, recognizing how God speaks to our hearts, and most importantly listening to & taking action when God prompts us. In one of the lessons we contemplated on The Lord ...more
Debbie
Aug 06, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“When was the last time you prayed diligently over a period of time for your spouse, your parents or your children? Or for someone to come to know Christ? Or for peace in war-torn parts of the world? Or that God’s power would cause a revolution in your church? Or that God would put you to work for his glory?”

This is an excerpt from this month’s book and it has really challenged me to re-address my prayer struture and indeed my prayer life. I’ve come to realise that for a while my style of prayer
Diane
Feb 23, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easily read, very practical treatment of prayer, taking up the cause of the person who would like to or used to pray, with specifics on how to get going or resume. After discussing potential roadblocks--like holding grudges or sins we haven't given up--the author offers very practical suggestions on praying.

In summary, his method is a simple technique of single-page daily journaling (great for busy people and those who go way overboard). Divide your journal page with 2 titles: "Yesterday"--an e
Empress5150
I read this with a group of women at my church. Having not seriously prayed in 30+ years, I found the "instruction" quite good. However, as usually is the case with book clubs, the discussions we had, whether directly about this book or other things, was almost more useful than the book.

Here are a just a few (paraphrased) lines from the book which particularly resounded with me (recently returned to God):

-"Prayer is an unnatural activity...alien to our proud human nature".
-"It is hard for God to
Suzanne
Jun 26, 2016 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a super easy read. I takes all the guess work out of prayer, and even tackles some of the larger, yet simpler questions on why prayers are not always granted, how what you least expect happens, yet turns out for the better, etc. You could, really probably read this book in one afternoon.

This book roughly delves into gratitude, humility, sincerity, and praise. By the time I was finished with this book, I felt closer to an unfathomable God, simply by understanding the nature of prayer and
Shaun Lee
May 06, 2016 Shaun Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pastor Hybels shares authentically about his personal journey in prayer, with most anecdotes being real-life events that occurred in interaction with people he knows. The book has plenty of advice for Christians to consider implementing. As with any other books authored by Hybels, the style is engaging and lively, the content is highly accessible to the lay Christian. For example, Bible stories quoted are often paraphrased with dialogue that modern believers can immediately understand. Hybels al ...more
Brent Soderstrum
May 02, 2011 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on a very important topic-our conversations with your creator. This book, along with a class I was taking at the same time, got me to make it more then a one way conversation with me doing all the talking. I learned the importance of listening and what to listen for. I also have learned to journal my prayers so I can re-examine them at a later point to see how God has answered my prayers. I know I love to hear from my kids so it should go without saying that God loves to hear from us.
Matt Anderson
This book gives the reader good encouragement on the importance of developing an active prayer life. Each chapter could be read on its own, as the book doesn't really build upon itself. A group of co-workers and I read through this book together, and there were lots of points in the book that made for interesting discussions within my group.

I appreciate a good book that points people towards connecting with God more. This book does that.
Jon
Dec 01, 2007 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone needing help learning to pray
Shelves: prayer
Great introductory book on prayer--many books recommend too many things to implement. Bill Hybels gives a very readable, practical and inspiring way to pray daily that jump-started my prayer life when it was stalled. I wouldn't recommend someone to make this a formula for a lifetime of prayer, but it's a great structure to develop key habits and basic skills of prayer--which I use to this day.
Sydney Drinkwater
Excellent book. Clearly written for all "levels" of Christians with down-to-earth, practical advice I will be putting to use. Deeper thoughts mixed well with real-life stories made it a book easy to keep reading.
Has Reflection & Discussion questions in the back that would make for a good Bible Study with a small group. Hope to re-read again.
Roxanne
Oct 28, 2013 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really put things in perspective regarding busyness and spirituality. It isn't just a book stating reasons why we're too busy not to pray and doesn't make you feel completely guilty for putting spirituality on the back burner. Instead, it provides practical tips on how you can keep God first in all areas of your life and pray more.
Lance Lumley
Jun 26, 2015 Lance Lumley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians and anyone who wants to slow down hectic lives
Recommended to Lance by: Good will
I read this book before and saw it at Goodwill and decided to re-read it. This is the 10th Anniversary Edition. Bill Hybels shows the reader tips on how to slow down from your busy lives in order to take the time to really pray, not just a quick "I need this now." He also discusses possible reasons why maybe people's prayers are not answered, and the importance of listening while in prayer. He also shows the reader some tips that has helped him, including writing a journal and what to include in ...more
Abby
Feb 06, 2016 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and reading it was timely for me as I have been trying to make my prayers more meaningful and to better my relationship with my Heavenly Father. It was interesting to me that right at the beginning of the book, Hybels reports that prayer goes against what we are taught from birth. We are told to be independent, yet we stop to ask for help when we pray. I like how he simply states that we just need a quiet room to pray and that is all. This means we can pray anywher ...more
Jessica
Sep 05, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Shelves:
I'm only half way through this book so far but it's really challenging my way of thinking about prayer (and how low on my priority list making time with God is). It's a very practical book with lots of tips, and has reminded me how important it is to pray!
Nicole
Oct 01, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've started to get more interested in Christian books lately. This one was given to me as a grad present, and I really liked it. It was helpful and informative, as well as being interesting. I would definitely recommend it.
Melissa Andrews
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I will be forever grateful. It's an easy to read book that's really powerful. Pastor Hybels reminds us why we need to pray, and gives practical illustrations of things we can do to make prayer a consistent part of our lives. His real-life examples work well. I liked that you were able to start implementing the ACTS method of prayer relatively early in the book, so that you could start working on your prayer life as you continue reading through the ...more
Tanya
I bought this book several months ago, but had other books already in line to read. Our small group for church just finished the book series by Bill Hybels "The Power Of A Whisper" & it was really great & it turned out to be a great book to read before this one. I felt almost like this book just went a little deeper on the truths of listening for God's whisper but in the prayer aspect. There is a lot of valuable wisdom in this book & if you are looking on how to pray more effective p ...more
Kenya
Jan 07, 2016 Kenya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the honesty and transparency shown throughout this book. It was encouraging for me to know that at times in your life even though you may love God your prayer life can become stale or even the fire that once was so bright simmer. Its amazing feeling to know that you are not alone. Its even more encouraging to know that its not where you start its where you finish. This book really encouraged me and showed me pragmatic ways to freshen up my prayer life, the pitfalls to look for and the imp ...more
Michelle Morgan Spady
Very easy to read and relate to. Lots of common sense examples and analogies. Liked the book very much. I would recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with why it is important to pray and how powerful prayer is in and to our lives.

John Vanbrunt,
Jan 04, 2012 John Vanbrunt, rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Bill Hybels

Chapter 6 which deals with Patterns for prayer is worth the price of the book alone.

Some takeaways from the 6th chapter:
All You have to remember is the word ACTS, acrostic 4 letters word -Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication

Adoration sets tone for entire prayer
-Reminds us of Gods identity & inclination ( I worship him for his Omnipotence)
-Purifies us who is praying Also, purges our spirt & prepares us to listen to God
-GOD is worthy of our Adora
Maria Elmvang
Oct 14, 2014 Maria Elmvang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to get serious about their prayer life
Somebody recommended this book to me many years ago. I no longer remember who, and I'm not even sure I got the right book, as Jo Carro has also written one with the exact same title. However, I'd been utterly unable to find that one, and the library had this one, so I'm going to claim this was it! ;)

Besides, even if it wasn't, I'm SO glad I've read it. Bill Hybels tackles some of the large issues about praying - how to pray, when to pray (scheduled prayer time is just as important as spontaneous
Erin
Feb 23, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I'm starting a prayer workshop at church to bring some discipline to my prayer life, which is spotty at best (and the discipline part is not easy. And like everything else, I started out the first week like a house afire, and last week...not so much. Gotta get back on track before Lent!) This book seemed to go hand in hand with that 7-week workshop just perfectly.

I was browsing Julia's coffee attached to the Habitat ReStore (my favorite used book store. Period.) and they have a small but great R
Neil Geisel
Mar 25, 2015 Neil Geisel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The message of this book moved me to action. I hope it does the same for you. God certainly speaks through the legacy others leave because of their writings. Bill Hybels uses his experience and his encounters with others to teach us about prayer. We can ignore it or use it and accomplish more of what we were created for. Praying is talking to our creator and strengthening our bond the most important relationship we will ever have or need.
Dominic Puccio
Dec 19, 2014 Dominic Puccio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Read this for small group, but it felt very basic. There were only about two spots where the lightbulb came on and I felt I really learned something new. I think this would be a great book for new Christians or those who haven't had much prayer life in the past. Mainly, I liked the reminders about journaling our prayers and helping the less fortunate.
Liu Jianqing
Thank the Lord for this book. I guess all Christians have prayed for the Lord to teach us how to pray. This book can really help us all.

Of course the book still deals with why we should pray and benefit, etc. The most useful part is that the author has shared with us his own methods. I have been practicing it since I read Chapter 9. It is challenging because it does consume a lot of time. But that is the whole point!

My prayer is that I will keep on praying fervently, regularly and persistently f
Tammy
Mar 15, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
VERY easy read. I read it really fast, and I'm a slow reader. I think Hybels addresses your basic, common prayer questions/issues pretty well - this book would particularly be great for new/young believers, or Christians that just haven't explored what developing their prayer life could look like. Or Christians who think they know what prayer is all about. The book is great to read through once and then easily go back to reference a specific prayer topic or question.
Afton Rorvik
Aug 29, 2015 Afton Rorvik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of practical suggestions in this book about how and why to establish a regular, daily time of prayer. Hybels describes his own journey to realizing how he needed to slow himself down and focus on God. His honest, approachable tone make this a great book to give to someone who is new to the concept of prayer.
Kathleen Yamauchi
Clearest most concise book on prayer yet. Pastor Bill Hybels gives plenty of practical guidelines in deepening our prayer life to bring us into a closer relationship with Christ. I expect to read this again soon - there is so much truth in this book!
A Study of the Word: prayer 6 11 Sep 22, 2013 04:10PM
  • Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?
  • The Life You've Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People
  • Just Like Jesus
  • The Spirit of the Disciplines : Understanding How God Changes Lives
  • The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home
  • Spiritual Leadership
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Ordering Your Private World
  • Victory Over the Darkness
  • The Pursuit of Holiness
  • Loving God
  • The Sacred Romance: Drawing Closer to the Heart of God
Bill Hybels is the founding and senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., and chairman of the board for the Willow Creek Association. The bestselling author of more than twenty books, including Axiom, Holy Discontent, Just Walk Across the Room, The Volunteer Revolution, Courageous Leadership, and classics such as Too Busy Not to Pray and Becoming a Contagious Christ ...more
More about Bill Hybels...

“it’s time to make a decision: I will learn what disciplines are necessary to fuel my prayer life, and I will practice these disciplines regularly, without fail.” 2 likes
“God led Jesus to a cross, not a crown, and yet that cross ultimately proved to be the gateway to freedom and forgiveness for every sinner” 0 likes