Start by marking “The Decadent Duke” as Want to Read:
The Decadent Duke

The Decadent Duke (The Peers of the Realm Trilogy #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  377 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Lady Georgina Gordon's sisters have all married prominent dukes or earls, and much to her dismay, she's expected to make an even better match. There is no shortage of suitors for the vivacious beauty, but Georgina refuses to marry a man who doesn't stir her urgent passion. Unfortunately her mother has already set her sights on Francis Russell, the powerful Duke of Bedford ...more
Published November 4th 2008 by Signet (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Decadent Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decadent Duke

Shasha
To me, this story was vulgar and cheap. Most characters get a sex scene and it wasn't...love. And no one is faithful, not even the hero..or the heroine--she lusts after a married man and flirts. I understand that the society wasn't clean, but I had to read something else after this to get rid of the unhappiness.

I enjoyed the fast dialogue but even that was ruined by innuendo or erotic thoughts. Was this supposed to be erotica?

Mature content, rape, adultery, overdose
Elis Madison
This is the true (?) story of Georgiana (Henley calls her Georgina) and John Russell, the Duke and Duchess of Bedford.

According to the story, Georgy’s mom Jane, Duchess of Gordon was frenemies with Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire. She was determined to best her “friend” by making brilliant matches for all of her five daughters, which, save one thus far, she has done. Georgy is the last of the daughters, and her mom has Francis Russell, then Duke of Bedford, in her sights.

Unfortunatel
Daneesha
I thought this book was OK. I really like Virginia Henley. I guess I was suprised that the book kind of was not what I was used to from her. It was sort of erratic. I didn't feel that it flowed well. There would be 3 to 4 scenes on two pages. It was totally weird. The main heroine was annoying and spoiled. The hero was boring. He was a widower with 3 sons. Honestly, he didn't have a personality. Anyway, I made it through the book. I don't know if I would recommend it.
Dayatara
Gwen
Feb 09, 2014 Gwen rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-vo
J'ai adoré ce tome !

Virginia Henley est encore et toujours une valeur sûre!
C'est un livre que j'ai adoré pour ces personnages principaux mais aussi pour les personnages secondaires.
Georgina (l'héroïne) est un personnage haut en couleur alors qu'en comparaison le héro m'a paru un peu fade à côté d'elle mais lorsqu'il faut prendre son courage à deux mains, il le fait sans tergiverser.
Au cours de l'histoire, Georgina se posent des questions sur le mariage de ces parents et comment ils en sont arri
Becky
Feb 15, 2015 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Young Georgina Gordon has just come out as a new debutante, and with her sisters all married off to prominent Duke's, her mother is not going to let her youngest stay single for long. Georgina is in no rush to marry, and she she swears if she ever does, it will be for love not for title. Her mother already has her idea of the perfect husband, Francis Russell, the Duke of Bedford. Not only the most eligible bachelor of England, but a well known womanizer with an ego as big of all the country. Joh ...more
Jessica Peris
Aug 11, 2010 Jessica Peris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
tosca
Wasn't half as decadent as I was expecting but that says more about me than it does about the book.
Joanne
Apr 06, 2011 Joanne added it
This if my first Virginia Henley book and I won't recommend it
Netha
Sep 02, 2011 Netha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
halaman2 pertama baca buku ini hati2 karna terlalu banyak nama yang sama & terlalu banyak tokoh.
halaman2 awal aq baca sangat pelan kadang bingung ini nama siapa lagi nih....tapi begitu sudah lewat bbrp halaman semua sangat lancar.
memang virginia henley doyan banget banyak tokoh begitu. plus selalu ada nama Mr. Burke, si kepala pelayan.

bercerita ttg keluarga duke & duchess of gordon from scotlandia yang memiliki 4 orang putri & 1 orang putra.
duchess gordon terkenal sangat ambisius men
Alex
Where's the courtship?

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Kelly
Didn't stick to the typical romance format

The I book didn't follow the formula so common in romance novels (chapter about the girl, one about the boy, they meet, etc) that was good and bad. It took a long time to get going, and there were a lot of ancillary characters which was a little confusing. I liked the second half better than the first.

The digital edition I read had a lot of extra "v" characters in place of quotation marks, which was distracting.
ms bookjunkie
Jan 09, 2011 ms bookjunkie rated it really liked it
When Virginia Henley is good, she's beyond awesome, and when she's not-so-great, she's still well worth reading! This book is one of the former.

I love the bold, lusty, witty, richly historical and emotionally satisfying stories Henley tells. As I've said before, I like my history with a ladleful of sexy and Henley delivers. And when the story she tells is based on real historical characters…*swoon*
Rebecca Huston
While I really do like the fact that this is based around historical figures, the story is dragged down to the level of a cheap, sleazy romance. A far better treatment of the story of Georgina, Duchess of Bedford can be found in Mistress of the Arts.

For a more complete review, please go here:
Kats Burn
Nov 06, 2013 Kats Burn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Virginia Henley never fails to deliver a great story filled with passion, intrigue and humor. I felt this was a sweet story. I lived the characters and the way in which Virginia keep my interest. All historical romance lovers jump on board.
Katie Maurizzio
Jun 19, 2012 Katie Maurizzio rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of the best historical romance novels I've ever read. The character development was perfect. The hero and heroine were great. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone.
Doreen
Jun 21, 2011 Doreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One question.

However could Eugene Beauharnais, stepson of Napoleon Bonaparte, ever have adressed Lady Georgina Gordon as "mon cher ami"?

I cringe.
Amanda
This book was ok. Not like most of the Virginia Henley books that I've read in the past. The characters were good, but it dragged in some places.
Andita
Jul 19, 2012 Andita rated it liked it
I would have loved this one more if I was not entirely confused by all the people with the same name or similar names.
Michele
This book is really good so far. I love how she made the runt of the family the beauty of the fam.
Jamie
May 21, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to rate her below a four star because I love Henley but not one of her best
Robin (RBBR)
Book 1 in "The Dukes Trilogy"
Karen Williams
Karen Williams rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
VampAmber
VampAmber marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Salma Bello
Salma Bello marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Nathalie Michaud
Nathalie Michaud marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
  • Duchess of Sin (The Daughters of Erin, #2)
  • The Border Vixen (The Border Chronicles, #5)
  • A Daring Passion
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
  • Whisper to Me of Love (Louisiana, #7)
  • The Bride Price
  • Heat of the Knight (Knights, #8)
  • Secrets of the Heart
  • To Pleasure a Duke (The Husband Hunters Club, #3)
  • Highland Spirits (Highland, #4)
  • A Courtesan's Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #3)
  • As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1)
  • Scandal of the Black Rose
  • Master of Temptation (Paradise, #1)
  • The Trouble with Moonlight
  • Guarded Heart (Masters at Arms, #4)
  • Masquerading Mistress
Virginia Syddall was born on December 5, 1935 in England, where her father, Thomas Syddall, taught her to love history. She obtained a degree in History in the University. In 1956, Virginia married Arthur Henley. They moved to America, and now they live most of the year in St. Petersburg, Florida, and they spend the hot summers in Ontario, Canada, where they have their two adult children and three ...more
More about Virginia Henley...

The Peers of the Realm Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Irish Duke