Start by marking “The Naked God (Night's Dawn, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Naked God (Night's Dawn, #3)

The Naked God (Night's Dawn #3)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  12,357 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
Hell just went quantum...

The Confederation is starting to collapse politically and economically, allowing the possessed to infiltrate more worlds. Quinn Dexter is loose on Earth, destroying the giant arcologies one at a time. As Louise Kavamagh tries to track him down, she manages to acquire some strange and powerful allies whose goal does not quite match her own.

The camp
Mass Market Paperback, 1244 pages
Published 2000 by PanMacmillan (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Naked God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked God

Roger N.
Jan 01, 2014 Roger N. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so now I’m a little annoyed. To have invested so much time in a series, only to have it end with the author kind of throwing up his hands and saying “well, it has to end sooner or later” is quite frustrating. I mean it, the books ridiculously rapid ending involves a quite literal deus ex machina. Poof! — the entire conflict of the book wrapped up without any real resolution whatsoever. It also didn’t help that the big reveal at the end about the Beyond was exactly what I thought it was goi ...more
Apatt
Apr 17, 2014 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that took just over three weeks to read. There is more of a sense of accomplishment from reading this last volume of the Night’s Dawn Trilogy than with the others. Due to each volume being a continuation of the previous ones finishing the last volume feels like having just read a 3000 pages book, rather than just a measly 1000 or so pages.

I have been a little too lenient with my rating of the books in this series I think. At more than 1000 pages per volume I clearly have to like the books q
Hugo
Jul 07, 2010 Hugo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Unfortunately The Night's Dawn trilogy is a huge, festering shamble where a few nuggets of interesting story is drowned in a horribly over-long stream of irrelevant and meandering side- and subplots. It starts off ok, focusing on just one plotline, which leads up to a rather nice "?" moment, but then it seems like Hamilton lost all his marbles because the story loses all focus and coherence, and the only thing that kept me painfully reading the last 4000 pages was to find out how in the world he ...more
Brian
Mar 25, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Night's Dawn Trilogy is my second experience with Hamilton's writing. A couple of years ago, I read Pandora's Star, and immediately decided to own that book. Now, understand that as an employee of a public library, book purchases don't happen frequently, so. . . but I digress.
The Reality Dysfunction was my least favorite of the three. It takes a while to get into the actual meat of the story, and a lot of it is honestly kind of smutty. By the end of the book though, I was completely hooked.
Robert
Feb 08, 2009 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The third volume of the Night's Dawn trilogy suffers the same flaws as the previous two; it is over-long and has too many characters leading to over a dozen endings (maybe - I didn't actually count) rather than a neat conclusion. Much of the time instead of enjoying the current scene I was wondering what was going on elsewhere with other characters, only to get back there and find myself wondering what was going on elsewhere with even more other characters. The ending is obvious to readers of th ...more
tom bomp
Dec 15, 2014 tom bomp rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book single handedly made me stop reading sci-fi/fantasy for several years, which I guess I should be thankful for. The ending to this book and series is honestly one of the most incomprehensibly badly written endings to any book I've ever seen, and it was especially stunning given how highly regarded this series seems to be. The series itself is full of misogyny, has a blatant self insert as a main character who every woman finds super sexy and who solves everything amazingly perfectly but ...more
Ken
Jan 10, 2011 Ken rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anafielle
Jul 22, 2012 Anafielle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Andrey
I...I can't even.
These books have been an integral part of my life.
For the last year and a half, I have been slowly burning my way through.
Other books came and went, but at the end of the day, The Reality Dysfunction and associated novels were waiting by my bedside, ready to guide me into the night with tales of horror, space, love, and humanity.
And now it is finished.
And I really do not know where to go next. Sure, there will be other books down the line.
But something so constant?
Who knows.

A
Simon Mcleish
Mar 03, 2013 Simon Mcleish rated it really liked it
Originally published on my blog here in March 2007.

Night's Dawn may well be the longest work ever published as a trilogy. Each volume is as long, if not longer, than many trios of science fiction novels - the classic Foundation Trilogy is less than half the length of The Naked God. With that length (which is the most obvious distinguishing feature of the series), there is a concomitant vastness of scale: hundreds of characters, spanning several universes and thousands of light years. The subject
Katy
Dec 11, 2012 Katy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this sometime in the early to mid '00s.

Like every Peter Hamilton trilogy I have read, this one was really good - until the last third of the final book, at which point it always feels like Hamilton says to himself, "Oh, shit, now I've gone and put myself into a corner? What do I do? What do I do? Oh, I know! Eureka! Deus ex machina!!" and pfffft. Out fizzles the story. It's so sad, because I know if he put a little effort into it, he could write a wonderful and imaginative ending - but as
Joe
Sep 25, 2015 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone whose life is utterly empty and has plenty of time to kill
Deus ex machina.

What should an author do when his story has run amok, subdividing into dozens of storylines of dimishing value to the overall plot that would require another 3500 pages to resolve individually? Yeah, but at least it is over. I am grateful I did not tackle this before enjoying Hamilton's good works; after eating this rotten elephant, I would not have been able to bring myself to risk another.

I did enjoy myself from time to time, so maybe it is just me. But don't say I didn't warn
Michael Harry
Jan 28, 2009 Michael Harry rated it did not like it
Awful conclusion to a brilliant first book that showed so much promise. Yes the ending was foreshadowed but it feels like a cop out and it ruins the whole meaning of the saga. We were supposed to solve this moral and philosophical crisis of souls. Not a god in the machine.
Joakim Ruud
Finally. Man, I've really rediscovered how bad Hamilton is at pacing. At about 250 pages left (a whole small novel's worth), he had to start tying off the loose ends. Which just made that part just a huge slog - time and again, he would build to a climax, but then cut to some other part of the story that also needed to have its climax. And of course I almost got diabetes from the contrived and saccharine way everything is put right in the end.

It's been said that Hamilton is a great setup artist
Steve Rippington
The final volume of the 'Night's Dawn' trilogy does everything you'd expect a final installment to do - all the plot strands are neatly wound up and the book is finished with satisfaction that everything's sorted one way or another. The bulk of the book is in the same punchy style as the rest of the trilogy, with the introduction of far fewer new characters, as expected in a final book.

But did it work?
Ultimately I felt slightly let down by Hamilton. He spent nearly a thousand pages in the first
Amanda
I loved this, but geez, thank God I'm finished. :)

I also fully intended to come back and really review this with a really real review. Really. But I finished it two weeks ago, and I think my relief at just being DONE has overwhelmed any real need to review it. It was a good read. It was a satisfying conclusion. I can definitely see why people would be pissed with the deus ex machina, but with the entire premise of the story, it really didn't annoy me that much -- especially since I was just so r
Fred Hughes
Feb 16, 2012 Fred Hughes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter F Hamilton paints vivid images with his stories. The characters are engaging, imaginative, and relatable. His worlds are logical (Spock would expect no less) and other worldly. The situations that the main characters find them selves in, and his story arcs are believable and entertaining. All his books are massive in concept and page count with this story coming in at 1300+ pages.

But reading his books are a pure escape and time just flies. Hamilton also combines science fiction with fantas
Jesse
I almost want to give this book a five star rating. Really my only qualm with giving it a higher rating is the end. I don't want to go into the exact details, but lets suffice it to say it wasn't quite how I was thinking the trilogy would end. Its not a bad ending, not at all; and as I think about other space opera series I've read its ending isn't that unusual. So I'm going to say it fell a little short of where I was hoping it would end, but was probably right where I should have known it woul ...more
Peter
Mar 09, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This is the third book in this trilogy, that is in great Peter F. Hamilton tradition actually just one book, but published in three parts.

In this book some people think they have a way to deal with the possession and mount on an expedition to find some ancient god/alien intelligence. that story alone would be the main event of most sf novels. But in here you also have the liberation of a continent taken over by possessed humans, the power struggle of a planet run like a gang by possessed, encoun
Brooke
Mar 01, 2014 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, 2014
FINALLY. The first half of the end of this trilogy flew by quickly. Then the second half spun its wheels in what seemed like an attempt to fill enough pages to match the size of the other two volumes. Luckily, once the conclusion started (approximately 75-100 pages from the end) everything started to fall into place very quickly. I found the end very satisfying - not always an easy feat in a long-running story.
Nora
Nov 21, 2015 Nora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was the strongest book in the trilogy, I think (I would rank them 3, 1, 2), but it still suffers from an overabundance of plotlines that can bog down vast sections. Plus there is a character who I found annoying and dis-likable from their first appearance who took on a much larger role in this book, which was frustrating. (view spoiler) ...more
David Monroe
I was amazed and disappointed that in a series of 3,000 pages, Hamilton could blow the ending(s). The series as a whole is still an amazing, mind-blowing, metaphysical read that I would HIGHLY recommend. I may have to re-read them again and maybe I will have a kinder view of The Naked God.
Anca
Mar 23, 2016 Anca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I really wanted to like this third book - The ongoing battles, chases, and marvelous escapes continue in this third volume, but there is one giant flaw:

A young woman gets impregnated by our hero in book 1, and her pregnancy doesn't show at all even at the end of this book, some 3000 pages later. So I'm supposed to believe that humanity can be at war, invent new technologies, and organize millions of people in less than 5 months? Like, really, people can travel between the stars, to distant
Willem
Dec 04, 2014 Willem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a series of three that read as one epic. Totalling more than 3300 pages in fine print. Naked God was the best Sci-fi action I've ever read, until I read Pandora's Star by the same author !

Book is set 100's of years in the future, humans have colonised 100's of planets, Faster Than Light Travel is a reality, death is but a memory, old age is something of the past. Wonderful future tech, very believable, described in the book. The list of characters is mind boggling, you
Kenzie Lamar
Aug 01, 2014 Kenzie Lamar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This series was very hard for me to read. I loved Greg Mandel and wanted to love this series but in the end it left me confused at times, frustrated here and there, bored, and finally angry with the conclusion of the series. In the end I will say I just barely liked this series. It almost went the other direction for me. I can't really recommend it. The characters and ideas are interesting but the story was incredibly slow and boring. Marrying Sci-Fi with paranormal just didn't need to be in the ...more
Jeff Forcier
A fitting end to the series - namely that while it kept its maddening page-turning qualities (including decent character growth and world-building), it was also a constant source of eye rolling and/or throwing-up of hands in consternation. If I hadn't already been so invested in seeing how the story ends I would almost definitely have put the book down.

Hamilton's plotting is irritatingly transparent with oodles of incredibly convenient contrivances allowing a constant series of "good guys finall
Zac
Aug 26, 2013 Zac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-n
oh boy. Thankfully, I've learned I can enjoy an incredible, thought-provoking and entertaining book and series and not be totally devastated by a terrible, contrived, deus ex machina ending. (Thanks for the practice, The Stand and The Dark Tower!)

I really did enjoy this series immensely and by the time the let down ending arrived, I was really just so proud and relieved to be done reading all 4500 pages or whatever of this mammoth trilogy that such a bad ending didn't really dissuade me much.
Robert
Feb 06, 2016 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of Night's Dawn; close to 4000 pages in the trilogy. I read book 1 in 2011, book 2 in 2013, and book 3 in 2016; I think. My point is, there was time between each book. It gave me time to forget a lot of things. By the middle of book 3 I kept asking myself, "I thought they couldn't do that?" but there is no way to verify because there is too much material to wade through.

I thought the ending was weak. It was one of those, really?-you-never-mentioned-that, suddenly-everything-is-fine kind
Andrew
Apr 10, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book gave me a real affinity for Bruce Bogtrotter. I love far future Sci Fi epics as much as Dahl's character loves cake but chewing through all this felt like a real struggle as there's just so damn much of it. I'm still glad I read it though, despite some inconsistencies in the treatment of the possessed and the queasy feeling that when Hamilton types about his young female characters he does so one handed, this is still a real achievement in British Sci Fi.
Benjamin Dornel
I thought this book was decent, but it had a relatively disappointing ending for a series of this length. Pretty much your typical deus ex machina.

I felt like some of the characters lost their personality slowly throughout the novel, with the exception of Joshua (he finally grew up). Other certain characters like Alkad Mzu faded to the backdrop and contributed almost nothing at all.

There were still some bits of excellent writing in this book, Hamilton did well with the initial introduction of B
Scifi & Fantasy: separate or merging 1 6 Dec 28, 2015 04:26AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 47 Oct 16, 2013 05:20AM
  • Absolution Gap
  • Line War (Agent Cormac, #5)
  • Horizon Storms (The Saga of Seven Suns, #3)
  • Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2)
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • Look to Windward
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.
More about Peter F. Hamilton...

Night's Dawn (3 books)
  • The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn, #1)
  • The Neutronium Alchemist (Night's Dawn, #2)

“Societies only have waste products while acquiring fresh raw material remains a cheaper option than recycling.” 4 likes
“This must be the sixth realm, the nameless void. Entropy is the only lord here. We will all bow down before him in the end.” 4 likes