The Naked God (Night's Dawn, #3)

The Naked God (Night's Dawn #3)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  8,204 ratings  ·  181 reviews
Hell just went quantum...

The Confederation is starting to collapse politically and economically, allowing the possessed to infiltrate more worlds. Quinn Dexter is loose on Earth, destroying the giant arcologies one at a time. As Louise Kavamagh tries to track him down, she manages to acquire some strange and powerful allies whose goal does not quite match her own.

The camp...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1244 pages
Published 2000 by PanMacmillan (first published January 1st 1999)

Apatt
Well that took just over three weeks to read. There is more of a sense of accomplishment from reading this last volume of the Night’s Dawn Trilogy than with the others. Due to each volume being a continuation of the previous ones finishing the last volume feels like having just read a 3000 pages book, rather than just a measly 1000 or so pages.

I have been a little too lenient with my rating of the books in this series I think. At more than 1000 pages per volume I clearly have to like the books q...more
Roger N.
Okay, so now I’m a little annoyed. To have invested so much time in a series, only to have it end with the author kind of throwing up his hands and saying “well, it has to end sooner or later” is quite frustrating. I mean it, the books ridiculously rapid ending involves a quite literal deus ex machina. Poof! — the entire conflict of the book wrapped up without any real resolution whatsoever. It also didn’t help that the big reveal at the end about the Beyond was exactly what I thought it was goi...more
Hugo
Unfortunately The Night's Dawn trilogy is a huge, festering shamble where a few nuggets of interesting story is drowned in a horribly over-long stream of irrelevant and meandering side- and subplots. It starts off ok, focusing on just one plotline, which leads up to a rather nice "?" moment, but then it seems like Hamilton lost all his marbles because the story loses all focus and coherence, and the only thing that kept me painfully reading the last 4000 pages was to find out how in the world he...more
Brian
The Night's Dawn Trilogy is my second experience with Hamilton's writing. A couple of years ago, I read Pandora's Star, and immediately decided to own that book. Now, understand that as an employee of a public library, book purchases don't happen frequently, so. . . but I digress.
The Reality Dysfunction was my least favorite of the three. It takes a while to get into the actual meat of the story, and a lot of it is honestly kind of smutty. By the end of the book though, I was completely hooked....more
Robert
The third volume of the Night's Dawn trilogy suffers the same flaws as the previous two; it is over-long and has too many characters leading to over a dozen endings (maybe - I didn't actually count) rather than a neat conclusion. Much of the time instead of enjoying the current scene I was wondering what was going on elsewhere with other characters, only to get back there and find myself wondering what was going on elsewhere with even more other characters. The ending is obvious to readers of th...more
Steve Rippington
The final volume of the 'Night's Dawn' trilogy does everything you'd expect a final installment to do - all the plot strands are neatly wound up and the book is finished with satisfaction that everything's sorted one way or another. The bulk of the book is in the same punchy style as the rest of the trilogy, with the introduction of far fewer new characters, as expected in a final book.

But did it work?
Ultimately I felt slightly let down by Hamilton. He spent nearly a thousand pages in the first...more
Andrey
I...I can't even.
These books have been an integral part of my life.
For the last year and a half, I have been slowly burning my way through.
Other books came and went, but at the end of the day, The Reality Dysfunction and associated novels were waiting by my bedside, ready to guide me into the night with tales of horror, space, love, and humanity.
And now it is finished.
And I really do not know where to go next. Sure, there will be other books down the line.
But something so constant?
Who knows.

A...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in March 2007.

Night's Dawn may well be the longest work ever published as a trilogy. Each volume is as long, if not longer, than many trios of science fiction novels - the classic Foundation Trilogy is less than half the length of The Naked God. With that length (which is the most obvious distinguishing feature of the series), there is a concomitant vastness of scale: hundreds of characters, spanning several universes and thousands of light years. The subject...more
Ken
Amanda
I loved this, but geez, thank God I'm finished. :)

I also fully intended to come back and really review this with a really real review. Really. But I finished it two weeks ago, and I think my relief at just being DONE has overwhelmed any real need to review it. It was a good read. It was a satisfying conclusion. I can definitely see why people would be pissed with the deus ex machina, but with the entire premise of the story, it really didn't annoy me that much -- especially since I was just so r...more
Jesse
I almost want to give this book a five star rating. Really my only qualm with giving it a higher rating is the end. I don't want to go into the exact details, but lets suffice it to say it wasn't quite how I was thinking the trilogy would end. Its not a bad ending, not at all; and as I think about other space opera series I've read its ending isn't that unusual. So I'm going to say it fell a little short of where I was hoping it would end, but was probably right where I should have known it woul...more
Brooke
FINALLY. The first half of the end of this trilogy flew by quickly. Then the second half spun its wheels in what seemed like an attempt to fill enough pages to match the size of the other two volumes. Luckily, once the conclusion started (approximately 75-100 pages from the end) everything started to fall into place very quickly. I found the end very satisfying - not always an easy feat in a long-running story.
Anafielle
Jul 22, 2012 Anafielle rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Fred Hughes
Peter F Hamilton paints vivid images with his stories. The characters are engaging, imaginative, and relatable. His worlds are logical (Spock would expect no less) and other worldly. The situations that the main characters find them selves in, and his story arcs are believable and entertaining. All his books are massive in concept and page count with this story coming in at 1300+ pages.

But reading his books are a pure escape and time just flies. Hamilton also combines science fiction with fantas...more
Zac
oh boy. Thankfully, I've learned I can enjoy an incredible, thought-provoking and entertaining book and series and not be totally devastated by a terrible, contrived, deus ex machina ending. (Thanks for the practice, The Stand and The Dark Tower!)

I really did enjoy this series immensely and by the time the let down ending arrived, I was really just so proud and relieved to be done reading all 4500 pages or whatever of this mammoth trilogy that such a bad ending didn't really dissuade me much.
Katy
I read this sometime in the early to mid '00s.

Like every Peter Hamilton trilogy I have read, this one was really good - until the last third of the final book, at which point it always feels like Hamilton says to himself, "Oh, shit, now I've gone and put myself into a corner? What do I do? What do I do? Oh, I know! Eureka! Deus ex machina!!" and pfffft. Out fizzles the story. It's so sad, because I know if he put a little effort into it, he could write a wonderful and imaginative ending - but as...more
Joakim Ruud
Finally. Man, I've really rediscovered how bad Hamilton is at pacing. At about 250 pages left (a whole small novel's worth), he had to start tying off the loose ends. Which just made that part just a huge slog - time and again, he would build to a climax, but then cut to some other part of the story that also needed to have its climax. And of course I almost got diabetes from the contrived and saccharine way everything is put right in the end.

It's been said that Hamilton is a great setup artist...more
Bryan
The series as a whole has been fantastic. I was expecting a space opera - and I got one, but a lot more came with it.

The author does a very good job of keeping the disparate protagonists engaging, and story arcs manageable - which is impressive considering the number of them that intertwine.

"The Naked God" was a fine conclusion - although I would have liked to have spent more time in the Epilogue. A little more "what happens now" exploration would have been enjoyable, and there were more loose...more
David Monroe
I was amazed and disappointed that in a series of 3,000 pages, Hamilton could blow the ending(s). The series as a whole is still an amazing, mind-blowing, metaphysical read that I would HIGHLY recommend. I may have to re-read them again and maybe I will have a kinder view of The Naked God.
Michael Harry
Awful conclusion to a brilliant first book that showed so much promise. Yes the ending was foreshadowed but it feels like a cop out and it ruins the whole meaning of the saga. We were supposed to solve this moral and philosophical crisis of souls. Not a god in the machine.
Jeff Forcier
A fitting end to the series - namely that while it kept its maddening page-turning qualities (including decent character growth and world-building), it was also a constant source of eye rolling and/or throwing-up of hands in consternation. If I hadn't already been so invested in seeing how the story ends I would almost definitely have put the book down.

Hamilton's plotting is irritatingly transparent with oodles of incredibly convenient contrivances allowing a constant series of "good guys finall...more
Ethan
At over 1,300 pages this is the most beastly of the three beastly tomes that make up The Night's Dawn Trilogy. As I noted in my review for The Neutronium Alchemist, I had serious reservations about the trilogy in the first book (The Reality Dysfunction), but there was enough cool stuff to keep me going until I learned to stop worrying and love the trilogy in the second book.

How's this one? Like the first two, there's some good and some bad.

First, the bad. This is even more mind-numbingly long th...more
Shane
Peter F. Hamilton has a fantastic imagination, and knows how to tell a good story. His characters are better written than most and his ideas for a high-technology future are frequently brilliant.

My problems with this book, and really with The Neutronium Alchemist which preceded it, is the mix of truly fantastical elements into the space opera science fiction. It's true that artificial gravity, faster-than-light travel, and other tropes common to "soft" sci-fi are all fantastical, in the sense th...more
Osamah
My interest in Peter F Hamilton came from reading the Pandora's Star saga and later the Void trilogy. I came to the Night's Dawn trilogy with trepidation because of its size and also because none of the reviews or descriptions gave away much of the plot. It's hard to commit to read an almost 4000 page saga when the story revolves a big reveal that may or may not pay off for the reader.

Well the big reveal doesn't happen until about four fifth of the first book, ie approx 1000 pages in. In other...more
Christopher Sutch
This book is entirely too long, and I put most of the blame for that on Hamilton's editors: someone needed to rein him in (this was his first trilogy after all). And, in the unlikely even that an editor or publisher ever actually reads this review: copy-editing matters. I know you think you can rely on authors to do it, or to just not have anyone proof the MS before you publish it, but YOU, the publisher, are the one who comes out looking like amateurs in this process. This book had so many proo...more
Thomas
'The Naked God' is a grand finale to one of the longest trilogies I've ever embarked on, a grand space opera that aims to both epic in scale and incredibly personal at the same time. It's a laudable aim and this book probably comes closest to achieving Peter F. Hamilton's goal. The scale of the story increases once again, branching out into other constellations and star systems and even other universes, but at the same time focus shifts away from these cosmic matters and onto the individual choi...more
Matt Schiariti
It's been a while since I read a Star Wars novel and it's been a few years since I read The Rule of Two. I decided to get around to reading books I've had but haven't gotten around to reading lately. I admit I've been out of reading Star Wars books for a while now but I'm glad I finally decided to open this one up and read it.

First off, if you haven't read the previous two in a while the author does a great job of working in the details from those books over the course of this one so the exposit...more
Tim
This is the third book of a trilogy - about 3000 pages between the three - in which I may just have witnessed a brilliant mind slowly coming apart over the course of the writing.

Or, it could have been me who went insane by reading it.

I like both visionary and hard science fiction, I was attracted to this writer in the first half of the first book. He clearly has a huge imagination as well as a scientific grasp of the hard mechanics of space flight. He provided detail of how starships [would:] ha...more
Philtrum
The Night’s Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton

Having just finished this, the first word that springs to mind is “Phew!” – partly as I finally reached the end of this 1.2 million-word (3000+ pages) trilogy and partly in (quasi) admiration at the manner in which Hamilton eventually wrapped up everything. The three words which then sprang to mind were “Deux ex machina”.

The Reality Dysfunction (1996), The Neutronium Alchemist (1997) and The Naked God (1999) are not – in any way – separate books: this...more
Joe
This review encompasses all three books of the Night's Dawn trilogy.

First things first...my lord was this a long, grueling series of books! Hamilton mentions in his afterward that the entire trilogy comprises over 1.2 million words. And, I have to say, at times, it felt like twice that long....reading this series was like running marathon.

It's a testament to the strength of the story and Hamilton's story-telling that I stuck through it. And, it would have been five stars except for the length.

Th...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 45 Oct 16, 2013 05:20AM
  • Absolution Gap (Revelation Space, #3)
  • Polity Agent (Agent Cormac, #4)
  • Against a Dark Background
  • Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2)
  • The Endymion Omnibus
  • Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.
More about Peter F. Hamilton...
Pandora's Star (Commonwealth Saga, #1) The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn, #1) Judas Unchained (Commonwealth Saga, #2) The Dreaming Void (Void, #1) The Evolutionary Void (Void, #3)

“Societies only have waste products while acquiring fresh raw material remains a cheaper option than recycling.” 0 likes