Start by marking “Shimmer” as Want to Read:
Shimmer

Shimmer

In just three years, CEO Robbie Case has grown Core Communications from 30 people to over 5,000. Now a $20 billion company made legendary by its sudden success, Core is based on a technology no other company can come close to copying, a revolutionary breakthrough known as drawing blood from a mainframe. And Robbie, its 35-year-old CEO, is acclaimed worldwide for his vision ...more
288 pages
Published June 30th 2009 by Unbridled Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shimmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shimmer

Kevin
Mar 05, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
In essence what Barnes has attempted is to get inside the mind of high tech con man. What type of person does this sort of thing? What would it be like to be at the center of such a scheme? Robbie Case is his attempt at flushing this out; an answer in the form of a character.

I found Shimmer to be unlike almost any other book I have read. It was interesting and entertaining but there was something about it that didn’t quite click.

The book is a techno thriller in a sense (plot focused on suspense
Gaby
Jul 06, 2009 Gaby rated it really liked it
Morris
Jul 22, 2009 Morris rated it really liked it
Core Communications is on top of the world. Their blue boxes are installed on mainframe computers all around the world. Corporations are scrambling to acquire this breakthrough technology. Years of long hours and hard work are beginning to pay off for the senior staff at Core. With their IPO behind them, they are striving to achieve grace so they can cash in on Core's success. There's only one problem. The blue boxes don't really work; the entire company is based on a lie.

CEO Robbie Case struggl
drey
Shimmer tells the story of Robbie Case, and his company, Core Communications. Built on a flawed technology, he nonetheless has managed to build Core into a multi-billion-dollar company in just three years. But the amount of hands-on manipulation that's required to keep Core going is starting to wear Robbie out. And if that isn't enough to stress about, Robbie also worries about what'll happen to his friends--the ones who were there in the beginning, the ones who're doing their darnedest to keep ...more
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2009 Cheryl rated it did not like it
Robbie Case is a multi-billionaire CEO, owner of the company Core Communications. He pretty much grew this company up from the ground. He went from thirty employees working for Core Communications to the company now employing around five thousand employees.

Core Communications specializes in information technology in the high-tech computer world. Their biggest seller is the Core Blue Boxes. These boxes help reduce the wait time to transfer date from one mainframe computer to another. The boxes a
Lawn2000
I received this book as an early reviewer’s selection, but unfortunately did not finish as soon as I had liked. So here, finally, is my review.[return]I enjoyed the book but I am not sure whether I would read another of his stories. It was very well written grammatically and, due to that, an easy read. However, the character development was somewhat shallow and the reasons for the collapse were not fully explained in the end (this is not a spoiler because the collapse is known at the beginning o ...more
Crystal
Aug 02, 2012 Crystal rated it it was ok
Through many sleepless months Robbie and his loyal employees have built an empire based on technology that does not work as advertised. Millions disappear each week faster than the sales in order to keep the lie alive. Each character has a distinct personality with a set of quirks and felt very real. The strongest aspect of the book is the intensity of the characters, but in the end I cared more about the employees than the CEO. I guess that is yet another way in which the book was true to life. ...more
Byrningbunny
May 18, 2009 Byrningbunny rated it liked it
Recommends it for: technology fans, adction/adventure, may interest sci-fi fans.
Recommended to Byrningbunny by: I chose this book from Library Thing
I'm so lucky to be a member of the Library Thing Early Reviewer's Club. Occasionally I will receive free books in the mail, which is the best gift ever, and then I have the opportunity to review them. They actually want to know what I think!

So, I think this is a book worth reading. It's a book about morals, set in an ultra-modern world. If that makes it sound preachy or moralistic, let me clear that up. It's NOT. It's about a young man, responsible for his employees, and he finds himself in a di
Barb
May 10, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is a suspense-filled read that keeps you wondering what is going to happen to these people until the end. I have known people that have been involved in Ponzi schemes (both as the swindled and possibly the swindler), so I found the whole book seemed a bit melancholy. I was constantly wondering how this big secret that the CEO has is going to destroy the lives of the characters in the book. I also felt sympathy for the 'swindler' who doesn't seem to be the arrogant ...more
Lynn
Apr 19, 2009 Lynn rated it really liked it
debut novel about a 35-yr old who grew a small family business into a $20 billion worldwide technology company. The technology doesn't work, financials are built on a Ponzi scheme, and the house of cards looks like it is ready to fall. publish date: June 30, 2009.

This is a quick read, finished in about 3 days. I would have liked a little more character development in the beginning, instead of drawn out through the entire book. The dialogue is direct, sharp, and fast, just about what you would ex
RJ
Aug 24, 2009 RJ rated it really liked it
Well, it's hard to believe a novel about corporate fraud in the tech industry could be a page turner, but honestly I had to keep reading to find out what happened next. Not run-of-the-mill typical thriller writing. Crisp and smart. The characters and settings seem surreal and fantastical at times, but then you realize this kind of thing goes on the world over. Timely, given the recent shenanigans on Wall Street.
Ross Cavins
Dec 07, 2012 Ross Cavins rated it really liked it
Shelves: have
This book was hard to get into, partly because of the style it was written in, and partly because nothing happened in the beginning. I'm not sure what kept me reading ... I guess it was the belief that if it got published, there was a reason. And the cover was nice. :-)

I'm glad I did. Despite an excruciatingly slow start, it was worth reading. Not a 5-star book, but a very satisfying read with enough plot twists to keep a reader interested ... after the first 50 pages.
Ryan Mac
Apr 01, 2009 Ryan Mac rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-giveaways
I received this book in a giveaway from LibraryThing. It was very good. The plot revolves around Core Communications and Robbie Case, the CEO, and his attempt to keep the high-tech Ponzi scheme going. Great supporting characters, an interesting plot, snappy dialogue and a fast moving story. Great book!
Huluriasquias
Dec 15, 2013 Huluriasquias rated it it was amazing
Wow. I really liked this book. Excellent character development, good story, it reproduces quite faithfully the culture of (some) start-up companies, and it works at several levels. Perfect ending to top it all.
Sybil
Jul 12, 2009 Sybil rated it it was amazing
Well-written techno thriller with strong voice and wit.
Lisa
Jun 18, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didnt like it. Author didnt make sense at times. Some parts hard to follow and just simply a struggle to get through.
Tanya
Apr 23, 2009 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Great technology thriller; fast-paced with interesting characters.
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2011
Phil Gardner
Phil Gardner rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Bjulbricht
Bjulbricht rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2012
Alicia Dunlap
Alicia Dunlap rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
KyleeJ
KyleeJ rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2009
Harry
Harry rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2010
Chenderson
Chenderson rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Dav.lovato
Dav.lovato rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2009
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
May 14, 2012
Kesha Peoples
Kesha Peoples rated it did not like it
Apr 15, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Eric Barnes is writer of the novels Something Pretty, Something Beautiful (Outpost19) and Shimmer (Unbridled Books), an IndieNext Pick. He has published numerous short stories, and works as publisher of The Daily News and host of Behind the Headlines.

Reviews of Something Pretty, Something Beautiful:

"Elegantly constructed and lovingly, tenderly, savagely written... the most harrowing portrait of Am
More about Eric Barnes...