Start by marking “Male Call (Hot Zone #1)” as Want to Read:
Male Call  (Hot Zone #1)

Male Call (Hot Zone #1)

3.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  472 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Her sexy letters are his only lifeline in his dangerous world "Hot Zone, Book 1"

Successful computer software engineer Eve Carmichael melts under yet another hotter than hot letter written by Reserve army soldier Sean O Callahan. Yet Eve can t take the thought of his life in danger overseas, and she resolves to get a sex life and a life period. That means forgetting Sean be
ebook, DRM, 74 pages
Published May 2007 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Male Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Male Call

Holly
Mar 16, 2010 Holly rated it did not like it
Considering this was another short Kindle Freebie, I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

But...

The writing was incredibly juvenile. To me, it came across as a teenage girl writing cliched erotica. The dialogue was laughably bad. I realize this was a novella, but still the 'story' felt forced and rushed. Almost like the author had to fit a certain amount of elements into a certain amount of pages, regardless if it flowed together, and made an enjoyable story.

A quick summery of the plot of this je
Desert Rose
Sep 05, 2011 Desert Rose rated it it was amazing
I got this book for free from Amazon for my kindle and I downloaded it to my IPad.

This is the first book in the Hot Zone series.
I guess I was lucky to catch this book for free from Amazon. It was the first time for me to try out this author and I totally enjoyed the experience.

Sean O’Callahan has been called to Iraq, before he left he asked his collegue the computer software engineer Eve Carmichael to write him while abroad. So as a friend she accepted.

First the letters were just asking about ho
Nicole Kozmin
Mar 18, 2010 Nicole Kozmin rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
Ah free kindle books. You never cease to disappoint me.

I used to think that in erotica the writing could be bad, but this book has proved me wrong. I think the author wrote this with an audience of trashy stupid women in mind.

Case in point: Sean's letters - (paraphrasing) "I'm in the desert. It's effing hot. Like EFFING HOT. SO EFFING HOT. There is sand in every effing crevice. ...Thanks for sending a picture of you in your black dress. I would like to eff you." Main character's reaction - Eve w
MountainKat
*3.5 Stars*

This was a sweet short story. I'm not sure why I liked it so much, but I did. It was a friends to lovers story, so that helped it not seem too abrupt or sudden. This was the first time I've read anything by this author and I liked her style and hope to find more in the future.
Janna
Oct 26, 2009 Janna rated it liked it
Shelves: m-f
Genre & Keywords: Contemporary | Uniformly Hot: Iraq | Love Letters
Rating: 4 of 5 stars | Heat level: 2 of 3 flames

This is the second book by Denise Agnew I’ve read. My first one (Unconditional Surrender) happened to be the second novel in the Hot Zone series. Male Call is the first one in this series. I wasn’t very positive about Unconditional Surrender but I’m glad to tell I liked Male Call a lot better. The background stories of the protagonists are simple and clear, and therefore plausib
Robert Beveridge
Denise A. Agnew, The Hot Zone, vol. 1: Male Call (Samhain Publishing, 2007)

One of those crazy-coincidences erotic romances where the lovely lady has been missing her man (who didn't know about her feelings for him, while all the while he's been lusting after her, and doesn't it strike anyone else as annoying that the single worst thing about Gone with the Wind, the fact that the entire final two hours of the movie could have been dispensed with given one honest two-minute conversation between Sc
Lackluster Mom
Mar 15, 2010 Lackluster Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Military wives and girlfriends waiting for their man to come home from a deployment.
Shelves: freebie-e-books
I really liked this because I can relate. The whole being in love with a man who is deployed fits my current situation. I think my favorite part about this is how relate-able it is. Sean is mentioned being a geek, a computer nerd, well I refer to my husband that way. So the whole time I keep thinking it was me and him in the story. Well sort of. Most books I supply a dreamed up stud. But in this case I got to use my own. :P So that's one of the major reasons why I really liked this. I wasn't sur ...more
Tonya Boutwell Hauser
Jul 16, 2014 Tonya Boutwell Hauser rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Denise Agnew. I liked it. It was a quick read for me. Eve is getting ready to turn 30 and her friend wants her to live a little. Sean is the solider/co worker that Eve is writing to.

Their letters start getting really steamy. Sean tells Eve he will be home soon to make their letters real. Eve goes to male strip club for her birthday. Guess who dances for her birthday.
Lady Raven RAVE!
Jun 24, 2011 Lady Raven RAVE! rated it really liked it
This is a cute little quick and I mean quick story. The plot or concept are 2 people writing each other and falling in love. i must admit in the beginning the author includes the letters that they are writing each other. For me it got a little annoying but it doesn't matter. Sean was crazy sexy and I loved Eve's personality. If you are the type that wants to feel connected to the characters on some deep level then this might not be for you as it's fast paste. The sex is a thumps up it was quick ...more
Emily
When Eve Carmichael told fellow co-worker Sean O'Callahan that she wanted to write to him when he left to serve his time as a reserve army soldier, she never expected the letters to take an erotic turn. With each letter she is seeing a different side of Sean that has her wondering why she never saw it before. With his promises of caresses and sexual fantasies she is not sure what to think about where they stand, but when he shows up in person she will have to decide if she is ready for the next ...more
Mia
Feb 25, 2014 Mia rated it really liked it
Fast short read. Best part was the letters between the two leads.
Debbie
Mar 21, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it
I think this book was an ok read. Nice sweet love story. It definitely had the possibility of being a wonderful book. It was just too short to get a lot of character development. It would have been better if there had been more about the lives of the two main characters and how their relationship actually started. This could easily have been written as a full length novel. I think if that had happened it would have been much better.
Crystal S
Just your average erotic short story. Cute enough little romance between the h & h. They knew each other and were already friends before the story began, so that helped avoid the usual short story "we met yesterday but I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you" thing. That's one issue I have with a lot of short story romances so the fact that this didn't have it pleased me.
Stacie
Mar 31, 2010 Stacie added it
Hot, Short story about Eve who works in an office with Sean. She really does not notice him until he leaves to serve overseas in the military. Before he leaves, they agree to write to each other. But as time goes by, their letters to each other become pretty hot. When he comes home, they are hot for each other.
Mrs. Missive
Apr 15, 2010 Mrs. Missive rated it liked it
Cute short story. First half you see the correspondance between two people through letters while the guy is deployed. A romance develops between the two through the letters. Later you are treated to the real life meeting between the two. I was definitely shifting in my seat with this one.

MsMiz (Tina)
Mar 24, 2010 MsMiz (Tina) rated it it was ok
I have proven if you give me a book for free, I will read it no matter what. This was free short story this week from Amazon. Still not sure it was worth it, even free.

Alyn
Apr 06, 2010 Alyn rated it did not like it
I have always wanted to try out something by this author but this book is just bad. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The idea is a good one but it's poorly written.
Lee
Jul 16, 2010 Lee rated it it was ok
Not well written: It felt amateurish and rushed. The story seemed tongi from point A to point D without any story development in between.
Jennie Smith
Jul 12, 2010 Jennie Smith rated it it was amazing
Great read! I stayed up WAY too late to read it but it was worth every bit of sleep I lost. Can't wait to read more in the series!
Shannon
2 1/2 Stars really while the concept and story line were good and the love scenes were hot, but the letters were cheesy and hokey.
Charlie N.
Dec 14, 2011 Charlie N. rated it it was amazing
Short cute story, if only if really happened like this the world would be a happier place
Kay
Feb 29, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
If you're looking for a fun, sexy read give this a try.
Nichole
Mar 28, 2010 Nichole rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one. Good plot and HOT!
Mar
Jul 15, 2011 Mar rated it really liked it
Cute, sexy (the dance!) & hot!
Chanpreet
Mar 27, 2012 Chanpreet rated it liked it
This had some hot scenes in it!
Theresa
Susan R Bertot
Susan R Bertot is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2016
Karen Gregory
Karen Gregory marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Joie
Joie rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2016
  • Paradox
  • Undercover Lover (Take Me, Lover, #2)
  • Kiss Me Again
  • Haley's Cabin
  • Tony's Haven (Sherman Family Series, #2)
  • Tactical Pleasure (Men of S.W.A.T., # 1)
  • Unmasking Kelly (Courage Brothers of Texas, #Prequel)
  • Summer Nights
  • Billionaire's Bribe
  • Persuading Prudence
  • Cold Nights, Hot Bodies
  • Icy Heat (Heat Series)
  • Knotty Girl (A Midsummer's Night Steam)
  • The Pearl at the Gate
  • Operation Sheba (Super Agent, #1)
  • Love's Learning Curves (Wolf’s Seduction #3)
  • Double Plush Velvet (Velvet, #1)
  • Bound for the Holidays (Ties That Bind, #1)
19820
Denise is the coffee-slurping, genre-hopping author of over sixty-five paranormal, contemporary, historical, erotic, fantasy, military and romantic suspense novels. Romantic Times Book Reviews calls her romantic suspense novels “top-notch,” and she's received their coveted TOP PICK rating. Her novels Love From The Ashes and Blackout were recently optioned by Where's Lucy? Productions for film/tele ...more
More about Denise A. Agnew...

Hot Zone (6 books)
  • Unconditional Surrender (Hot Zone, #2)
  • Private Maneuvers (Hot Zone, #3)
  • Close Quarters (Hot Zone, #4)
  • Intimate Alliance (Hot Zone, #5)
  • Hot Pursuit (Hot Zone, #6)