Start by marking “King of Ithaca ” as Want to Read:
King of Ithaca

King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Eperitus, a young Greek warrior, encounters a group of men being attacked by mercenaries. In helping the outnumbered soldiers, he unwittingly comes to the aid of Odysseus, Prince of Ithaca. And so begins the friendship - and the adventure - of a lifetime.
Published June 6th 2008 by MacMillan (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about King of Ithaca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of Ithaca

Gina K
That's it! I can take it no more!
Neeke
Definitely not what I hoped it would be. It looked promising, historical fiction, lots of action, and most important: Odysseus! It's a miracle not more fiction is written about Odysseus and his adventures, so I had my hope on this series.
.. but wat was it disappointing. Also the last time I trust users reviews "If you loved David Gemmell's Troy series, you'll love this book". I loved the Troy series, but comparing this to it, that's a huuuuge insult. Doesn't even come close.

It started OK-ish, b
Paul Bennett
King of Ithaca is the first book in this series about the Greek warrior and hero Odysseus. The story begins with Laertes still the King but there is a revolt brewing that threatens to remove Laertes and his line as the royal family. Odysseus is consulting the oracle on Mt. Parnassus about his future. It is this journey where he meets the other main protagonist of the book, Eperitus, an exiled prince looking to find glory under a new lord. The Odysseus in this story is not portrayed in the Homeri ...more
Donmar
Glyn Iliffe wrote the book and it is the first part of his series about the life and adventures of the Greek hero Odysseus. As a student of Classical Studies, I always believed that authors or movie directors should always be chronologically accurate about their writings or their films about ancient histories and mythologies. That simply because people, who doesn’t study Classics, can easily say to their children and grandchildren that Herakles was the squeaky-clean hero that Disney World was tr ...more
Terri
This book was a little disappointing. It wasn't a bad book, but for my tastes, it lacked a little spark. I never felt anything for the characters or the story. Some parts, the parts centred on Greek mythology, I found enjoyable though so all was not lost. However, there weren't enough of them to squeeze another star out of me to make this a 4 star book. It is a very definite 3 star book for me.
Graham
A gutsy and compelling retelling of the life and times of Odysseus, beginning with his wooing of the Princess Penelope and his attempts to suppress a revolt on his beloved island kingdom of Ithaca. This is the first in what promises to be a long-running series encompassing the Trojan War and all manner of mythical adventures on top of that.

The story of Odysseus has long been a popular one, with the hero showing up in film, television and novels over and over again. Despite the familiarity of the
K
This one started out promising, and ended okay, but there was just so much unwanted information (do I really need two pages of someone putting on makeup?). If a hundred pages had been cut out this would have been great. Once I employed my skim reading techniques I was able to finish. I read another review of this book where they made the comment that all the men are described as handsome, so while reading the book, that became annoying. When the story focused on Odysseus it was compelling, but i ...more
Trekscribbler
For as long as I can recall, I’ve been fascinated by the trials of Odysseus. I can remember being introduced to the character all the way back in the fifth grade when one of my history teachers brought in to class a series of filmstrips (you kids can Google that) depicting his adventures in the Trojan War and throughout the resulting epic, THE ODYSSEY. His was a grand adventure, one fraught with all measure of hardship, sacrifice, and derring-do.

My interest in THE ILIAD and THE ODYSSEY took me i
Panagiotis
Arun Divakar
Any reader fascinated with mythology and lore will tend to return to literary landscapes which are open to reinterpretation. This could be Hogwarts or Middle Earth or Kurukshetra or even the fields of Troy depending on the tastes of the reader. While I have not read a completely unabridged version of the Iliad or the Odyssey, most characters are familiar to me in their glory and flaws. This novel is the first in a series of books that detail the story of the wily King of Ithaca : Odysseus.

Being
Margaret
Was expecting historical fiction whilst this is actually historical fantasy. Not in the mood to deal with cranky goddesses at the moment.

May try again some other time.
Melodia
I have been waiting for a series that chronicles the entire Trojan War for a very long time. I tried David Gemmel's Troy and well if only it had ANYTHING to do with the actual story of Troy, it might have been good. I found a later book in this series in the bargain section of Chapters and once I realized it was a series - I bought the rest of it on ebook. I was pumped!

Then I started reading. Glyn Iliffe is a total Trojan War fanboy - which is fine because I'm a total fangirl, but this series, w
Simona F.
Recognition of the fact that I tend to very often use the word "love", because I really do not know how else to describe certain books.

That said, I did not love this first in the series The Adventures of Odysseus but I very much liked it: thus the 4 pretty stars.

Now, I've read other reviews of King of Ithaca and I really do not feel the dissing Glyn Iliffe is getting - oh, there is too much fiction and too many additions to the original lines of the Iliad and Odyssey, but hey! while the first e
Iset
I’ve been reading a lot of Troy fiction recently which has been hovering around the 8 or 7 out of 10 mark – recognisably well-written, definitely enjoyable, but just missing that extra something, that je ne sais quoi; maybe it’s a flair in the writing, or a subtle complexity to the characters, or a compelling grip to the plot. In the case of this book, it’s hard to say what’s missing. The descriptions are thoughtful, the action is pacy and demanding, the plot adds interesting new twists to the c ...more
Tee
When I picked up this book from Chapters, I was excited to jump right in and start reading. Unfortunately that excitement waned significantly once I opened it. The writing style is very overbearing; Iliffe spends more time describing things than developing his characters or progressing the plot.

I found it very easy to predict what was going to happen next, mostly due to his attempts at foreshadowing. This meant, for a tale dependent on its battle scenes and gore, there was very little suspense c
Gary
This is more than just a retelling of stories from the Trojan War. Instead, this is more like an historical novel with supernatural elements. This novel covers events roughly ten years before the Trojan War. The resourceful and clever Odysseus joins the greatest kings and warriors of Greece as one of the suitors to Helen. The two sisters, Helen and Clytemnestra, play important roles in the story along with Penelope, their cousin and Odysseus' future wife. For the most part, Iliffe remains faithf ...more
Ana
Can someone please explain to me why did I ever stop reading books on Greek mythology?!?!? I don't know what happened to me in 2012, but I promise to be faithful in 2013. Honest!

King of Ithaca is the first book of the Adventures of Odysseus series. In this book, Glyn Iliffe helps Homer fill the blanks on the Ithacan warrior's early years as a prince. The book tells the story of how Odysseus met Penelope and became the King of Ithaca, viewed through the eyes of Eperitus, an exiled prince from
Paul
I'll confess ancient Greeks don't, on the strength of this, appear to be of great interest to me. Maybe it's because they've never had any conquest or invasion of my home country, unlike the Romans, Saxons, Vikings and Normans.
Add into the mix the fact that when I was growing up I had a very saturated exposure to Greek myth and films based on them - including many an awesome Ray Harryhausen number - so the myths, or at least the general consensus of them, feel highly familiar to me.

Whatever the
Deferrers
A great holiday read with a beautiful view of Ithaca from my Greek villa. The location obviously added to the pleasure of the read. Good pace throughout with a good connection to the classic story of Odysseus. Looking forward to reading The Gates of Troy.
David
While, reading the synopsis, this seems like the type of book I would enjoy, I have to say: I actually found this to be quite a dry read.

The first in a planned series of books ('The Adventures of Odysseus'), this one deals with the pre Trojan-war days, with (at the start of the novel) Odysseus not yet King of Ithaca. Centring primarily on one of Odysseus companions rather than Odysseus himself, this does have plenty of intrigue and action, but I (unfortunately) found none of those to be that sti
Wolfgirl
I did enjoy this but on a couple of occasions it makes sudden jumps back in time without making this very clear. I did find this quite confusing.
I would also quite like to have had notes from the author on the historical fact that he has used for this, like Bernard Cornwell does sometimes. As a lot of the book is based around another character's perspective it would be nice to know more about what is factual. It's a long time since I studied the classics and I'm a bit rusty on this era!
Adam
I really enjoyed this first novel in Glyn Iliffe's historical fantasy series about Odysseus and the Trojan War. Partly because he writes how I like to write and what I like to read but also for his great ability to recreate a sense of the ancient world. Glyn does not shy away from bringing the gods into the story which adds a whole other dimension to the novels. The characters are also very human. I would highly recommend the books in this series. Be sure to read them in order.
Allancarlson
Jun 26, 2011 Allancarlson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kyle
Recommended to Allancarlson by: Self-discovered
Something about the language and storyline reminded me so much of Homer in translation that despite the predictability of the theme, I was drawn to this book as though I were discovering the tale for the first time. There was also the j'en sais quoi factor that marks this author as unique amongst those who would vie for a spot in the historical fiction spotlight. I'm not only recommending this book, but about to go out and get some more by the same author...
Anna ~ Eternal procrastinator
Whether you know Oddyseus or not, The King of Ithaka will simply fascinate you... for all the lovers of historical fiction books, it leaves nothing to be desired... true to the original myth, captures your imagination and travels you to the ancient times...I loved it!
Joanna
Not too bad at all. Picked this book up at the library as the author is local to me. Had no expectations whatsoever but it has an interesting approach to the Greek myth and I found it easy and enjoyable to read. Will probably seek more out by this author.
Sam
I've always been enchanted by the myths and legends of ancient Greece. This is the start of the adventures of Odysseus, beautifully retold by Glyn Iliffe. He captures all that I love about the stories of ancient Greece.
Winnie
I must have liked this well enough to look out for the other two books in the series - I remember that I thought the storyline was reasonably original but wasn't totally sold on the actual writing.
Ste21 Donaldson-Ellison
Very good book.
As a Uni student, studying ancient history i specifically enjoyed the addition of the authors' imagination to the popular Greek Myth.
speciallyi
Not the best around but not bad! I love greek myths and novels so this is quite palatable.
Neil Morgan
A good read. Interesting take on the story. Plenty of action and intrigue.
  • Memnon
  • The War at Troy
  • Tyrant (Tyrant, #1)
  • Caligula (Rufus, #1)
  • Dawn Of Empire
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2)
  • The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1)
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • Hannibal: Enemy of Rome (Hannibal, #1)
  • The Siege (Agent of Rome, #1)
  • The Whale Road (Oathsworn, #1)
  • Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • At the Palaces of Knossos
Glyn Iliffe studied English and Classics at university where he developed a passion for the ancient stories of Greek history and mythology. Well-travelled, Glyn has visited nearly 40 countries, trekked in the Himalayas, spent six weeks hitchhiking across North America, and had his collar bone broken by a bull in Pampolna.

He is married with two daughters and lives in Market Harborough.
More about Glyn Iliffe...

Adventures of Odysseus (4 books)
  • The Gates of Troy
  • The Armour of Achilles
  • The Oracles of Troy (Adventures of Odyseuss #4)
The Armour of Achilles The Gates of Troy The Oracles of Troy (Adventures of Odyseuss #4)