Start by marking “Film Noir: The Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
Film Noir: The Encyclopedia

Film Noir: The Encyclopedia

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Enter the world of film noir, a world of darkness, ambiguity, and moral corruption. Meet the cynical and obsessive heroes of film noir portrayed by actors like Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, James Cageny, Joan Crawford, and Bette Davis. You may encounter a gun-toting gangster, a femme fatale wrapped in fur, a detective with the brim of his hat turned down, or a desperate mu ...more
Published May 13th 2010 by Overlook Hardcover (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Film Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Film Noir

Steve Sanderson
Christ, reading this book made me crazy. I love lists and encyclopedias that help me pick out good stuff to watch. This is a comprehensive review of film noir, up to and including recent neo noir films.

I read this mostly to add to my Amazon wish list, which I use to manage what films I want to see next.

Because of this book I added a ton of films to see!

Highly recommended.
Derek Bevil
An essential and indispensable reference for the film noir enthusiast. Its entries are detailed enough to provoke real thought about the films discussed. The section on contemporary "Neo-Noirs" is inspired.
Nancy Davidson
I have a ton of film noir books and this is an excellent basic text. Any reader could easily get an overview of the great films and the arc of film noir.
Vleegoodfellow
A comprehensive compendium, published 2010, of breezy, of quick-bite article entries on each film’s basic plot, with some in-depth details too.
Jaime
A very good resource. 4 stars instead of 5 due to a few minor factual errors and typos, but still a must-have for your film noir library.
Scott

Great book to use to put together lists of of films to add to your Netflix or Amazon viewing list of Film Noir's best.
Greg
Everything you've ever wanted to know about Film Noir. Great reviews from back in the day to present time.
Alfie
Alfie added it
Dec 21, 2014
Axel
Axel marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Alec Speshock
Alec Speshock marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Jandy
Jandy added it
Sep 30, 2014
Captain Pat
Captain Pat is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2014
Nicola George
Nicola George marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Sam Sanchez
Sam Sanchez marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Shaun
Shaun added it
May 08, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Eggroll
Eggroll marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Anthropology Buff
Anthropology Buff marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Goovl
Goovl marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Pulp Fiction: Film Noir Encyclopedia 565 Movie Selections Listed 13 31 Feb 17, 2013 12:43PM
Alain Silver has co-written and co-edited a score of books including The Samurai Film, The Noir Style, The Vampire Film, Raymond Chandlers Los Angeles, director studies of David Lean and Robert Aldrich, and four Film Noir Readers. His articles have appeared in numerous film journals, newspapers, and online magazines. He holds a Ph.D. from UCLA and is a member of the Writers Guild of America west a ...more
More about Alain Silver...
Film Noir Reader Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style Raymond Chandler's Los Angeles Film Noir Film Noir Reader 2