Start by marking “Steal This Style: Moms and Daughters Swap Wardrobe Secrets” as Want to Read:
Steal This Style: Moms and Daughters Swap Wardrobe Secrets

Steal This Style: Moms and Daughters Swap Wardrobe Secrets

2.44 of 5 stars 2.44  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Getting great style can be as easy as looking at it!

Your daughter and her friends are so modern, fresh, and hip in both their casual and more dressed-up outfits. Guess what? You can update your look by stealing some inspiration (and some clothes!) from them for a whole new forward-looking, timeless, and youthful wardrobe.

Nationally known style consultant Sherrie Mathieson...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Potter Style

To ask other readers questions about Steal This Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steal This Style

From the title of the book, I expected to see Moms and Daughters SWAPPING wardrobe secrets. I wanted to see timeless, wearable styles that flattered real people. What a disappointment. The book just had page after page of awful-looking outfits accompanied by trite comments by the author. I was appalled at some of the fashion choices she recommended, especially in mending "dated" outfits, since her "fixes" looked very dated as well. I had to check the publishing date of the book to make sure I wa...more
Cathleen
Jun 17, 2009 Cathleen rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cathleen by: BookPage
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm confused about the intent of this book. The author seems to have strong opinions about what is "never cool" and what is "forever cool", but she doesn't explain why. Instead of tips on flattering one's figure or improving style, the reader instead is left with page after page of photos that too often do nothing more than show the author's personal taste.
anexactinglife
I was hoping this book would rescue me from frowsiness. However, I didn't like the tone. I guess I just don't relate to moms and daughters who borrow from each other's closets - not my experience, for sure (my 'daughter' was a Goth, and then was a Guy, ha ha!) There were amusing "before" photos of 45-year-old moms who dressed like 75-year-olds. (That statement is prejudicial because I know some sharply dressed 75-year-olds). The daughters in the book were dressed far, far more conservatively tha...more
Chloe
I liked the layout of the book. It was easy to read and the photos were clear and presented side by side for easy comparison, but I disagreed with many of the 'after' looks and felt that they were dull or dated or just plain horrible.

A couple of 'before' looks were decent and worked for the wearer (just a few). Only a tiny fashion faux pas spoiled some of the looks, e.g. wearing white socks with moccasins or toting a tacky handbag, but the author's comments usually bashed the entire outfit. I gu...more
Jessica
Alot of the "after" pics were just as poorly styled and outdated as the "before". I had to check the publish date halfway through because I thought this might have been published in the mid 1990's. Nope, 2006. Truth be told though even if it had the earlier publish date, if the styles are "forever" cool as the author boasts, it really shouldn't have mattered when this book was done.
Marcia
Jun 06, 2010 Marcia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends
Shelves: grown-up-books
A fun little book that pairs adult daughters and their moms for fashion updates. Using before and after shots it offers some great fashion advice on keeping your look flattering, up-to-date and age appropriate. (I am now certain I will be ditching the black and white polka dot cardigan that makes me look like a pregnant ladybug!)
Dana
The author's tone was off putting, the outfits were hideous--before AND AFTER, and the book really didn't have much to do with style swapping between mother and daughter.
Natalie
Her tone is so parochial and patronizing. Condescending.
Pam
Pam added it
Mar 16, 2014
Candela
Candela marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Dorcus
Dorcus marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2012
Grace
Grace added it
Jun 05, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012
Linda Williams
Linda Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2011
Fallon
Fallon marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2010
Forever Cool: How To Achieve Ageless, Youthful, and Modern Personal Style Forever Cool: How to Achieve Ageless, Youthful, and Modern Personal Style Forever Cool