Start by marking “Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3” as Want to Read:
Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3

Ritual: Jack Caffery series 3 (Jack Caffery #3)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  3,176 ratings  ·  269 reviews
Just after lunch on a Tuesday in April, nine feet under water, police diver Flea Marley closes her gloved fingers around a human hand. The fact that there's no body attached is disturbing enough. Yet more disturbing is the discovery, a day later, of the matching hand. Both have been recently amputated, and the indications are that the victim was still alive when they were ...more
Published November 20th 2008 by Bantam (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ritual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ritual

Bill
I'm sorry to say that Ritual was a disappointment for me.

Mo Hayder hit two grand slams with Birdman and The Treatment. These were two crime thrillers that stood out from such a thickly saturated genre. Quite the feat for a new writer on the scene.
My gushing reviews on these:

What made these great was how successful she was at engaging the reader
in not only the storyline of the crimes at hand, but the personal struggle
Kendra
I've really been on a Mo Hayder kick lately -- and I must be getting used to her, because this book didn't disturb me nearly as much as the other ones. Ritual is the third to feature Detective Jack Caffery, and this time Hayder has skipped ahead a few years, moved him out of London, and introduced a great new character, police diver Phoebe "Flea" Marley. The discovery of a pair of hands -- sans body -- kicks off an investigation that involves drug addicts and ancient rituals from Africa. As usua ...more
Natazzz

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think this book's so great. I found it very boring and very hard to get through. Reading it felt more like a task than a fun passtime. I tried, but I was unable to read this in its entirety.
Krishna
Mo Hayder's return to the Jack Caffery series is a mixed bag. Definitely not on par with the hyper-gory Birdman or the disturbing The Treatment, it relocates Caffery to Bristol where along with a new soon-to-be recurring series character, police diver Flea Marley, he investigates the discovery of a severed human hand in the harbour.
The key problem is, the plot which is interesting though hardly outstanding hardly needs Caffery, who could have been substituted by any Detective. Marley's own bagg
The Wee Hen
I had the hardest time finishing this book. I only made myself read the whole thing because I made the mistake of BUYING it instead of getting it from the library and I am too cheap to not finish a book I buy. I didn't like one detective at all and the other I had a hard time feeling anything for. It's not like I only read cozies but this was just way too gruesome, vicious, nasty and horrible for me. Just more gore than I really need from a mystery. It barely even felt like it was set in the UK ...more
Catherine
I had high hopes for this book as it continues the character in the author's first 2 books (Birdman and The Treatment) which are some of my favorite all time reads.
This one started off well but the second half was not as compelling and it left me feeling frustrated re the lack of storyline to explain the details of the events between this book and the previous one.
As in the previous books the main character (DCI Jack Caffrey) has his own things going on which make a subplot to the current crime
Shannon Hollinger Jones
Mo Hayder never ceases to amaze me with her ability to push the boundaries, to make the reader uncomfortable yet still yearning for more, leaving them unable to put the book down as they lose themselves in the world she's created for them. A master of creepy and suspense, the pages ooze with sinisterness and, best of all, unpredictability.
Teresa
A Mo Hyder é fabulosa. Adoro o Inspector Jack Caffery. É humano, com impulsos que, por vezes, colidem com o que se espera de um policia. Há passagens difíceis de ler, mas não conseguimos parar porque queremos saber sempre mais.
Andrea
Hmm. Okay I felt this was definitely a step away from the last Jack Caffery book, but I'm just not sure if it's a step forward, or simply just a step to the side.

First and foremost, I have to say Hayder writes really compelling mystery plots. I love the central plots of her books. I love her writing, I love her dialogue, and I love how unapologetically guttural she gets. My issues stem from her main characters that I just don't like.

Jack. Oh Jack. I really want to like you. I want to root for y
Rob
While I enjoyed this one (I might generously round it up to 3.5 stars), it comes across as a transitional novel. In an afterword, Hayder admits that after The Treatment, the second of her Jack Caffery mystery novels, she had grown tired of her protagonist. So in Ritual it makes sense that Caffery, while ostensibly the main character, shares the spotlight with a new character, Phoebe "Flea" Marley, a police diver forced upon him by the circumstances of the book's grisly case. As with her first tw ...more
Twobusy
Mo Hayder wrote two of my favorite crime novels of recent years — Birdman and The Treatment, both of which married the British police procedural to something so dark and gruesome and impossibly heartbreaking that I honestly imagine it impossible not to be affected by their impact. Since then, I've read several of her other novels, which have succeeded to varying levels... and Ritual, I fear, may be the least effective one yet. It treads ground familiar to those who've read Birdman or The Treatme ...more
David
Hayder is a good author, She creates a story from many strands. This was not my favorite book of hers.
Judi
This is a really poor Mo Hayder book that gets off to a tortuously slow start. The characters names are awful: Flea, Mossy and Skinny...seriously? I kept getting Skinny confused with Dobby, the house elf in Harry Potter. I'm not squeamish, but I admit I skipped over the entire sections where The Walking Man's describes his crime in lurid detail. I don't see the point that Ms. Hayder is trying to make, other than to shock, by going into such graphic detail. I liked Birdman a lot, but I can't say ...more
Ben
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the earlier Jack Caffery novels. I found it quite difficult going for the first two-thirds. Not a hard read, but not really holding my interest.

That all changed nearer the end though, where the action really steps up a gear and some of the gorier parts became quite hard to stomach. By the end of the book I was a little disappointed it had finished.

That last part really redeemed the series for me and I went straight off to download the next novel. Hopefully this
Gord James
This is the third Jack Caffrey book and by far less violent then the other two. Jack is still tormented by his brother's disappearance some 30 years ago, but angrier. He is investigating a mutilation case where only two hands are found. The story gets really interesting because not only does he have to find out who the hands belong to, but also who did it. It was a little disappointing to see that Jack has become even more negative and aggressive. I am looking forward to reading more Jack Caffre ...more
Simone Sinna

There is some masterly writing here; despite actively disliking Jack Caffery through most of this book, I still wanted to keep reading, and really liked it (best of the 3). He’s still on about his missing brother (whose demise we found out about in book 2 but he doesn’t know) but not as much, but he’s a self destruct course and it was hard not to wish he’d hurry up (using prostitutes was probably the deciding negative for me; I mean the man can’t maintain a friend let alone a relationship).
So w
Kimberly
2.5 at best. i really wanted to like this book. i loved 'birdman'- it was a good story, with interesting characters. it made me excited for the next installment - 'the treatment'.
in 'the treatment', we could've done without caffery's girlfriend. she was a distracting pain in the ass and dragged the story down, but it was still a decent story and i was pleased with the ending (don't want to spoil it).

this book on the other hand, could've been so much better if it hadn't even incuded jack caffer
Sharon
What happened, Mo? If I hadn't read her two previous novels with Jack Caffery I probably would have liked this one. But she has lost her feel for Jack. The way she writes about him is different. He seems stiff and wooden now. I understand that in the intervening years life has been hollow for him, but I think it is more than that. And the whole Walking Man character seems like a cheap device.
Marsha
I loved the first two Jack Caffery mysteries, BIRDMAN and THE TREATMENT. This one, the third, sees DI Jack Caffery in Bristol where he's transferred from the Met in London. He's running away from his demons of the old cases that involved the disappearance of his brother years ago. Now, he finds himself in a case with Sergeant Flea Marley, a police diver who discovers a pair of hands in the Bristol Harbor that eventually lead to African witchcraft and blood sacrifice.
Flea is running from her own
Gale Stanley
Pig Island was disappointing. I was thrilled to see that Ritual: A Novel brings back DI Jack Caffery in a chilling tale of occult practices and the drug underground. He and the other main character, police diver Flea Marley, each have their own set of baggage which they keep bottled up and reveal to each other in bits and pieces. On to SKIN...
Jitka Jitulisko
Tak Jackovi je zase o nějaký ten pátek víc. Po případu pečovatele se rozhodl odstěhovat z Londýna na menší město, do Bristolu. Potřeboval změnu, utéct od stínu Ewana. Ale i zde má své zvláštní přání. Hledá Chodícího může. Má pocit, že by mu mohl pomoct.

Tady se setkává s Blechou, která je vedoucí týmu potápěčů. Tato mladá žena má svůj temný příběh. Před více jak rokem ji zahynuli při potápění rodiče. Voda je jejím domovem. Cítí se v něm líp než na souši. Je zvláštní, má své kouzlo. Její chování V
Vivienne
I had wondered about the long gap between The Treatment and this third novel and according to the end notes Mo Hayder decided to drop Jack Caffrey as a character but then when she came to write The Ritual, which she thought was going to be the first of a new series starring police diver Flea Marley, when Jack popped into her consciousness and she elected to reintroduce him here away from London.

From the opening pages I adored Flea and was also glad of the move to the West Country as well as seei
MJ
Set in England, african mutilation killings....hum. dark creepy, don't suspect who at the end....dark dark dark.
Wusswoo
More like three and a half stars (but I always round up). Didn't enjoy this one as much as the Treatment.
Enjoyed it, especially the descriptions of and research put into the sections on cave diving, but felt the end was a bit rushed. The text touched on themes of racism and Western imperialism without really unpacking them, and, despite a host of minority characters ripe for exploration, relied heavily on the white, straight protagonists for the bulk of the character development and plot exposition.

There were some cool, very creepy ideas in this book, but overall it seemed unbalanced, like it was
Elaine
Bizzare hallucinations

African superstition

I don't think there was anything I liked about the story itself however, the narrator was pretty good.

Again Mo Hayder deals with man's depravity; It seems to be a subject she's familiar with. In this one however, she took unnecessary liberties with crass language and some situations were tastelessly handled. It's severely cheapened the story.

I've never had much respect for Caffery but in this the third in the series, he descends even lower in my opini
Payal
Mo Hayder was recommended to me as "better than Val McDermind" and I have to say, she didn't quite live up to that. This was the first book of hers I'm still waiting to be impressed. It was an ok read (I'd give 2.5 stars if possible). The character of Flea Marley, the dive team sergeant was interesting, but Jack Caffrey was sort of boring. The narration plodded along sometimes and I struggled to get through this book. Since I also picked up the next book (Skin), I'm going to give the series and ...more
Richard
This is another excellent read, the third in the Jack Caffrey Policeman. The book clearly cemented Mo Hayder's status as she has gone on from strength to stregth. I really like the introduction here of two central characters, 'Flea' Marley and The Walking Man who various hold this plot together and look set to influence matters further. Marley is a counter-point to Caffrey and has an equally troubled background, indeed they are somewhat thrown together in this investigation and there is scope fo ...more
Ed
This is a very creepy suspense novel with horribly damaged main characters: Caffery is still haunted by the disappearance of his brother Ewan when they were both still children--he is convinced to a moral certainty that Ewan was taken and killed by a pederast who lived nearby while Flea/Phoebe, a police diver, hasn't come to terms with the death of her parents while on a technical dive in Africa. It is not surprising that both characters feel there are people (or something) just out of reach tha ...more
pinknantucket
This is a thriller that involves 'muti', religious practices from various African countries that involve body parts, in this case human and detached from said human while still alive. Not as terrifying as you might imagine (the book, that is); I have a fairly low horror threshold and I was OK most of the time.

I kept getting annoyed in this book because various characters kept referring to others as 'African' or to muti as 'African'. All the 'African' characters were sinister. Flea, one of the ma
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3)
  • Blood Eagle (Jan Fabel, #1)
  • Cage of Bones (Brennan & Esposito, #3)
  • Badlands (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #4)
  • Het vierkant van de wraak
  • Ashes to Dust
  • Sacrifice
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • The Flesh Tailor (Wesley Peterson, #14)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Dead Like You (Roy Grace, #6)
Mo Hayder left school at fifteen. She worked as a barmaid, security guard, film-maker, hostess in a Tokyo club, educational administrator and teacher of English as a foreign language in Asia. She has an MA in film from The American University in Washington DC and an MA in creative writing from Bath Spa University UK.

Mo lives in Bath with her daughter Lotte-Genevieve.

Series:
* Jack Caffery
More about Mo Hayder...
Birdman (Jack Caffery, #1) The Treatment (Jack Caffery, #2) Gone (Jack Caffery, #5) The Devil of Nanking Poppet (Jack Caffery, #6)