Start by marking “The Glass Cage: An Unconventional Detective Story” as Want to Read:
The Glass Cage: An Unconventional Detective Story

The Glass Cage: An Unconventional Detective Story

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A series of brutal and bizarre murders has London on edge. Near the dismembered corpse of each victim, the killer has scrawled cryptic quotations from the eighteenth-century mystic poet William Blake. Baffled, the police enlist the aid of Damon Reade, a brilliant but reclusive Blake scholar, who reluctantly agrees to help. Reade's combination of instinctive deduction and p ...more
Published January 1st 1973 by Bantam Books, Inc. (NYC) (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Glass Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glass Cage

mark monday
in a box there lives a snake. it eats, it sleeps, it sheds its skin, it is let out from time to time and then put back in. the walls of its box are made of glass; perhaps it can fool itself into thinking it does not live its life in a cage. so it is with the snake and so it is with its owner, the killer of the novel, a man who lives in his own kind of glass cage.

or so it is according to Colin Wilson. as an author, he had one overriding concern: the exploration of human consciousness and human po
Nicole Marble
An interesting look at the plusses and minuses of computing. His points could have been condensed to a paragraph or two.
Erik Graff
Jun 03, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wilson fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
I've read two of Colin Wilson's murder mysteries, neither of which impressed me very much.
Lynn
l found it a nice read, and a nice ending.
Lynn Kelleher
l liked this book.
colin is a weird writer lol
Eugene Pustoshkin
Eugene Pustoshkin is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Ronnie Corner
Ronnie Corner marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Eamon
Eamon marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Fatma Ben Salem
Fatma Ben Salem marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Malti
Malti marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Jeremy Zimmerman
Jeremy Zimmerman marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
diana burns
diana burns marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Curtis
Curtis marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ti Leo
Ti Leo marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Chris Pehrson
Chris Pehrson marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Emma Stocker
Emma Stocker marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: "The Glass Cage" -- error 2 11 Jul 31, 2014 03:53PM
Valancourt Books: The Glass Cage (1966) by Colin Wilson 3 11 Jul 21, 2014 01:22PM
Colin Henry Wilson was born and raised in Leicester, England, U.K. He left school at 16, worked in factories and various occupations, and read in his spare time. When Wilson was 24, Gollancz published The Outsider (1956) which examines the role of the social 'outsider' in seminal works of various key literary and cultural figures. These include Albert Camus, Jean-Paul Sartre, Ernest Hemingway, Her ...more
More about Colin Wilson...
The Outsider The Occult The Mind Parasites The Philosopher's Stone Mysteries

“You've a perfect right to call me as impractical as a dormouse, and to feel I'm out of touch with life. But this is the point where we simply can't see eye to eye. We've nothing whatever in common. Don't you see. . . it's not an accident that's drawn me from Blake to Whitehead, it's a certain line of thought which is fundamental to my whole approach. You see, there's something about them both. . . They trusted the universe. You say I don't know what the modern world's like, but that's obviously untrue. Anyone who's spent a week in London knows just what it's like. . . if you mean neurosis and boredom and the rest of it. And I do read a modern novel occasionally, in spite of what you say. I've read Joyce and Sartre and Beckett and the rest, and every atom in me rejects what they say. They strike me as liars and fools. I don't think they're dishonest so much as hopelessly tired and defeated."

Lewis had lit his pipe. He did it as if Reade were speaking to someone else. Now he said, smiling faintly, "I don't think we're discussing modern literature."

Reade had an impulse to call the debater's trick, but he repressed it. Instead he said quietly, "We're discussing modern life, and you brought up the subject. And I'm trying to explain why I don't think that murders and wars prove your point. I'm writing about Whitehead because his fundamental intuition of the universe is the same as my own. I believe like Whitehead that the universe is a single organism that somehow takes account of us. I don't believe that modern man is a stranded fragment of life in an empty universe. I've an instinct that tells me that there's a purpose, and that I can understand that purpose more deeply by trusting my instinct. I can't believe the world is meaningless. I don't expect life to explode in my face at any moment. When I walk back to my cottage, I don't feel like a meaningless fragment of life walking over a lot of dead hills. I feel a part of the landscape, as if it's somehow aware of me, and friendly.”
0 likes