Start by marking “The Golem” as Want to Read:
The Golem

The Golem

From the bones of the dead, and from a long buried secret...they rise to kill. The original Golem was molded from riverbed clay centuries ago, enchanted by spells to protect the innocent. But now a diabolical design has perverted the ancient, mystical rites to forge new Golems that stalk the night. Into the twilight deeps of the quiet Maryland coast, they come forth, to ra ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Leisure Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Golem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golem

Glenn Rolfe
Sep 24, 2016 Glenn Rolfe rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback-lbhc
Edward Lee is a madman!
Damn.
This book really hit me around page 200. There's blood and guts horror (which this book has in abundance) and then...there's real horror. Like what happens to Judy.
I was horrified, but invested even more in this already good story.
Lee does not often disappoint, but damn if his horror isn't so potent that I can only read one of his books every couple years.
That said, The Golem is a hard-punching, horror story for lovers of the harder the better mentality.
You have be
Michael
Jun 20, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
This book is about Jewish black magic, crack addiction, and blood. Lots and lots of blood. If you like reading graphic depictions of people having their arms torqued off by animated, clay-covered corpses that have Hebrew words written on their chests, well...look no further!

There was a lot of cool information about golems. I may try to make one this summer. All I'll need to get started is magic clay from Czechoslovakia, some severed dogs heads in a bubbling vat, the corpse of a sinful person, a
Juxian
Feb 28, 2017 Juxian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Oh my, of my, that was so good! I love it when Edward Lee mixes historical and modern events, reminded me 'The Black Train' in this aspect - and also how we find out the story slowly, by bits and pieces, until it makes the whole. It took me awhile to read it but I enjoyed it so much. And it was very creepy - even though gory things were more like stated than described, the atmosphere was great.
Judy was such an awesome heroine (and how often do I say these words? lol, almost never). I liked her s
Nick Cato
Mar 28, 2009 Nick Cato rated it really liked it
When I was a kid, my aunt bought me a huge book about horror films, and although I've been trying to remember the title for YEARS, I still can't place it. One of the older films discussed was THE GOLEM, a silent film I finally managed to see during my high school years at a theatre in Manhattan. The verdict? It bored me senseless (my apologies to silent horror film purists out there).

Well, guess what folks? Ed Lee's THE GOLEM, while retaining the cultural mythos of the story, is NOTHING like the
Reese Copeland
Aug 25, 2011 Reese Copeland rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the book, although there were times when the flashbacks or going back and forth in time was somewhat annoying. Although, I do understand that was part of the story and acknowledge how that fit in. The story was compelling and sufficiently dark. This being only the second Lee book I've read I can't really compare it to the others too well, but, I did enjoy it. It did not end the way I thought it would. That's one of the things I like about Lee's stories, they don't seem to have that hap ...more
Bandit
Apr 10, 2013 Bandit rated it liked it
Edward Lee has created his own brand of guts and gore and sex and this book is a fine example of it. Not for someone with delicate sensibilities and very rape happy, but if you're can deal with those things on paper, it's a fun quick depth free and gore heavy read. Best part of the book was a very interesting and educational backstory with some insights into the more obscure branches of jewish religion. Recommended.
Kristen
Mar 27, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Many here know that I'm not Lee's biggest fan, so although the cover art was interesting (I had to hide and rehide this book from my 7 year old who was just enthralled with the golumn on the cover) I admit to putting off reading this tale.

Now that I have read it, I admit that I prefer it to many of his other books. This is the story of a video game designer and his girlfriend who are recovered addicts, and newly rich from the sale of his latest game. They elect to buy an old home in the middle o
Ken
Oct 19, 2012 Ken rated it liked it
This book delves into the Jewish legend of the Golem and into the dark side of Kaballism. It made for an interesting read.

Typically, if I enjoy a book enough that it makes me want to read more by that author, I give a book 4 stars. This book though came up a bit short on a couple measures.

First, one of the main characters is a know-it-all. Damn lady knows everything...each time because she used to date a guy that was a professional in whatever area. That was more than a bit overplayed.

Second, I
michael dempsey
Dec 18, 2016 michael dempsey rated it it was amazing
I liked this book it has lots of blood,crack and golems.I didnt care for the rape stuff..but in horror you take the good with the bad...
Rob Karraker
Feb 21, 2017 Rob Karraker rated it liked it
decent pace and some good imagination. good for horror fans.
Daniel Russell
Sep 29, 2009 Daniel Russell rated it really liked it
The Golem by Edward Lee is about a...hang on...it'll come to me... that's it, a golem! Golems, to be precise. An overnight success story, video game developer Seth Kohn buys a house in Maryland with his partner Judy. Life is going great and he wants the seclusion to work on a game sequel without the hustle and bustle of Tampa. Unfortunately, the town not only has a massive crack problem (the drug, not visible thongs), but was also the scene of slaughter in 1880. In a clash between immigrant Jews ...more
Matt
Apr 01, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
The premise behind this book was a really interesting one. I can't recall ever reading a book about golems of Jewish folklore in the past. Lee clearly had an adequate grasp on the subject, so certainly this book should have written itself, right?

Eh. I don't go into these novels expecting timeless literature, as they're essentially the written equivalent of B-horror movies filmed with mom's video camera and a budget of whatever could be found under couch cushions and refrigerators. But I still be
Mark
Sep 20, 2016 Mark rated it liked it
love Edward Lee. Did not love this book.
Summer
Jun 16, 2012 Summer rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
TL;DR version: Pick the time setting you're going to write in and just write it. This book would've been better with either time period cut out of it and the rest mashed together. Decent horror, just tedious at times.

This is my second Edward Lee book, and I can't say I'm very impressed. I don't think I'll pick up another of his books.

The Golem has a lot of good things going for it- 1) It has a monster that it familiar to most but not exploited on like vampires or werewolves which keeps it relati
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 William M. rated it liked it
2 AND 1/2 STARS

Having read 75% of Edward Lee's books, both the mass market and the more hardcore limited edition titles, I have to place "The Golem" right in the middle. Not bad, but a bit predictable and not very scary. Sure, it has a nice amount of deranged inhabitants involved in brutal acts of violence and sex, along with some decent gore, but I felt it could have used some editing.

With the exception of the prologue from 1880, I didn't think author Lee needed to constantly return to the pa
Mark R.
Mar 13, 2014 Mark R. rated it liked it
***1/2

Edward Lee's novel "The Golem" is a fun, and at times extremely gruesome, take on the titular character. This is the "golem" of Jewish folklore, a being created with mud and incantations, brought to life to carry out its master's revenge.

A devil-worshiping offshoot of Kabbalism has taken root in a town in Maryland. Lee's book bounces back and forth between events from the year 1880 and the present day. This way of telling two parts of one story works remarkably well, and the pacing is near
Justin Day
Mar 07, 2012 Justin Day rated it really liked it
This was my third Lee book, and at this point I was beginning to admit to myself that, for the first time in maybe 10 years, I was becoming a "FAN" of a horror author. And this book did not let me down.

Much like Black Train, you got sharp glints of the Lee-style gore and horror, but weirdly juxtaposed within a very interesting, engaging story with a protagonist that I will say is my favorite he's written so far, but that may be because I am a gamer.

I realize that those coming from his earlier wo
DJMikeG
Mar 20, 2010 DJMikeG rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable horror novel. When Ed Lee is on, he writes with a certain maniacal glee that is truly a wonder to behold, if you have a strong stomach. This is gross, absolutely gross stuff, but it is done is a fun, almost B Movie style that makes the book a blast to read. The narratives intertwine, one set in 1880, one set in the present, and they really work well together. The book never lets up, and hits you with surprises and shocks right up until the last page. This is schlock h ...more
Tanya Smart
Dec 04, 2014 Tanya Smart rated it did not like it
This book just got progressively worse the deeper I read. I like horror fiction, generally. I picked this up because of the great reviews and disappointment was all I received.

I am not opposed to gore, but it felt like that's all this book was. Limbs being torn off, women (and one man, violently!) being raped (a LOT), and crackheads. This book was only scary in the sense of "Yikes! I'd hate to have my arms ripped off and then get sexually violated by an undead product of black magic."

I've gotte
Brian Steele
Feb 19, 2011 Brian Steele rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Oh, how I love Edward Lee! After I read his disappointing Brides Of The Impaler, I was quite thrilled to be subjected to the hideous historical atrocities found within this novel. While the book switches back to modern day throughout the tale, Lee's depiction of these particular Golems retain their absolutely horrific appeal. The thoroughly corrupt cops are a nice bonus, too.

The sexual aspect of the two main protagonists relationship was far too heavily dwelt upon, as per Lee's usual take. (The
Shaun Meeks
Jun 10, 2012 Shaun Meeks rated it it was amazing
This may not be one of Edwards Lee's wackiest books, but it is up there as a good one. If you're going into this expecting something as crazy as Header or Pig and The House, you might be disappointed. This time, Lee brings a disturbing tale that crosses time and generation. One thing I particularly love about this one is how the monsters in this are nowhere near as bad or disturbing as the human ones. As someone who works around people addicted to drugs (mainly crack and meth) and gets to see fi ...more
Oct 27, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans, Edward Lee fans
Shelves: horror
Basic Summary: Lots of limbs are ripped out of sockets.

Maybe it's because of the picture on the book's cover, but the description of the golem doesn't creep me out or unnerve me at all. I also have some questions about how Judy could accomplish what she did at the end; it doesn't seem like it should be as simple as that.

Still, it's an Edward Lee book: it's hard to put down and easy to read all in one sitting. Overall, though, it does feel a lot unhappier than his other books I've read, so while
Kimberly
Feb 22, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was ok
I love horror. I like this author as well. I love the cover art on this book too! I did NOT like the book itself. I was so confused. I was so wrapped up in dueling tornadoes of confusion that I couldn't pay attention anymore to the story any longer. The story just didn't work for me. It has the gore factor so be aware of that. Though things like that are expected in this type of horror, it doesn't bother me a bit. I just couldn't get the story. I understood some things but there was just too muc ...more
Branden Tussing
Sep 23, 2016 Branden Tussing rated it really liked it
Edward Lee is one of my favorite authors in the genre of hardcore horror. He is able to tell a good story and add the gruesome parts in for a bit of flavor. There is a part early on that deals with a lot of ridiculous things similar to City Infernal but finds a much more appropriate home for things that silly. I enjoyed the way the story was layered. It wasn't too convoluted as some authors end up doing when trying this style.
While this wasn't overly stomach churning or depressing, as some hardc
Farhana Faruq
Apr 07, 2015 Farhana Faruq rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Enjoyed this book! Wasn't sure what to expect, but by the end I was sure it was a five star read for me. It's also weird..haha

As a fictional horror, it mainly covers kabbalah - Jewish witch craft, with a mix of crackheads and 'things' brought back to life.

The story goes back and forth between past and present which I liked. I also think the cover is cool (and creepy).

Look forward to reading more from Lee.
Steven
Apr 14, 2009 Steven rated it liked it
A nouveau rich man and his girlfriend buy a house near a town that is inhabited by satanists who make Golem's. The plot is straightforward and kept my interest. The ending was good. There is a little back story, and some information relating to real world beliefs. The characters were interesting. Edward Lee is one of my favorite author's in the horror genre. This is not his best work, but it was enjoyable.
Misty Battle
I had read a previous Lee book that left a bad taste in my mouth. So I decided to read one of his earlier works to get adjusted to his style of writing. I must say I am glad I hung in there. I loved this book. It was slow to start, but when it picked up wow! I was drawn in quickly and couldn't put it down until I found out how it ended. Excellent read for a newcomer to the world of Lee.
Charlene Nelson
Jan 24, 2015 Charlene Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Golem and Evil

All I can say is wow !!! Amazing book I loved the change of scenery from the 1880s to current this book was a great read !!! Judy was by far my favorite character a lot of life and energy to her. Even doing Evil has its dues to pay. I recommend this book for anyone to read. I look forward to reading more books from Edward Lee just great writing
Chrissy Wheeler
Jul 16, 2009 Chrissy Wheeler rated it liked it
The Golem was a pretty good read, it only took three days of casual reading to finish it. Plenty of gore, violence and creepiness. It was fun to read, and had a nice pace to the storyline. If you like other Edward Lee novels, you'll like this one.
Erin
Feb 16, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
Good, fun horror story. It was complex enough to keep one entertained, but not so much as to disrupt the fact that it is a fun read. I enjoyed the fact that the horror of the novel had a background related to the Jewish faith instead of Christianity, because it was something different.
  • A Gathering of Crows
  • The Freakshow
  • Triage
  • Clickers
  • Succulent Prey
  • The Devil in Gray
  • Crimson
  • Hallows Eve

Edward Lee was born (er, jettisoned) into the world on May 25, 1957, and was raised in Bowie, Md. He has sold 15 novels and continues to pursue the ludicrous profession of freelance writing. From 1976-79, he served in the U.S. Army Security Agency and then was transferred to the 1st Armored Division in Erlangen,
More about Edward Lee...