Start by marking “The Golem” as Want to Read:
The Golem

The Golem

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  522 ratings  ·  38 reviews
From the bones of the dead, and from a long buried secret...they rise to kill. The original Golem was molded from riverbed clay centuries ago, enchanted by spells to protect the innocent. But now a diabolical design has perverted the ancient, mystical rites to forge new Golems that stalk the night. Into the twilight deeps of the quiet Maryland coast, they come forth, to ra ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Leisure Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Golem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golem

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
461st out of 1,248 books — 3,608 voters
American Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl Next Door by Jack KetchumIt Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyTagged by Joseph M. Chiron1984 by George Orwell
Most Disturbing Books
99th out of 104 books — 223 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick Cato
When I was a kid, my aunt bought me a huge book about horror films, and although I've been trying to remember the title for YEARS, I still can't place it. One of the older films discussed was THE GOLEM, a silent film I finally managed to see during my high school years at a theatre in Manhattan. The verdict? It bored me senseless (my apologies to silent horror film purists out there).

Well, guess what folks? Ed Lee's THE GOLEM, while retaining the cultural mythos of the story, is NOTHING like the
Michael
This book is about Jewish black magic, crack addiction, and blood. Lots and lots of blood. If you like reading graphic depictions of people having their arms torqued off by animated, clay-covered corpses that have Hebrew words written on their chests, well...look no further!

There was a lot of cool information about golems. I may try to make one this summer. All I'll need to get started is magic clay from Czechoslovakia, some severed dogs heads in a bubbling vat, the corpse of a sinful person, a
Reese Copeland
I enjoyed the book, although there were times when the flashbacks or going back and forth in time was somewhat annoying. Although, I do understand that was part of the story and acknowledge how that fit in. The story was compelling and sufficiently dark. This being only the second Lee book I've read I can't really compare it to the others too well, but, I did enjoy it. It did not end the way I thought it would. That's one of the things I like about Lee's stories, they don't seem to have that hap ...more
Kristen
Many here know that I'm not Lee's biggest fan, so although the cover art was interesting (I had to hide and rehide this book from my 7 year old who was just enthralled with the golumn on the cover) I admit to putting off reading this tale.

Now that I have read it, I admit that I prefer it to many of his other books. This is the story of a video game designer and his girlfriend who are recovered addicts, and newly rich from the sale of his latest game. They elect to buy an old home in the middle o
Bandit
Edward Lee has created his own brand of guts and gore and sex and this book is a fine example of it. Not for someone with delicate sensibilities and very rape happy, but if you're can deal with those things on paper, it's a fun quick depth free and gore heavy read. Best part of the book was a very interesting and educational backstory with some insights into the more obscure branches of jewish religion. Recommended.
Mark R.
***1/2

Edward Lee's novel "The Golem" is a fun, and at times extremely gruesome, take on the titular character. This is the "golem" of Jewish folklore, a being created with mud and incantations, brought to life to carry out its master's revenge.

A devil-worshiping offshoot of Kabbalism has taken root in a town in Maryland. Lee's book bounces back and forth between events from the year 1880 and the present day. This way of telling two parts of one story works remarkably well, and the pacing is near
Tanya Smart
This book just got progressively worse the deeper I read. I like horror fiction, generally. I picked this up because of the great reviews and disappointment was all I received.

I am not opposed to gore, but it felt like that's all this book was. Limbs being torn off, women (and one man, violently!) being raped (a LOT), and crackheads. This book was only scary in the sense of "Yikes! I'd hate to have my arms ripped off and then get sexually violated by an undead product of black magic."

I've gotte
Daniel Russell
The Golem by Edward Lee is about a...hang on...it'll come to me... that's it, a golem! Golems, to be precise. An overnight success story, video game developer Seth Kohn buys a house in Maryland with his partner Judy. Life is going great and he wants the seclusion to work on a game sequel without the hustle and bustle of Tampa. Unfortunately, the town not only has a massive crack problem (the drug, not visible thongs), but was also the scene of slaughter in 1880. In a clash between immigrant Jews ...more
Justin Day
This was my third Lee book, and at this point I was beginning to admit to myself that, for the first time in maybe 10 years, I was becoming a "FAN" of a horror author. And this book did not let me down.

Much like Black Train, you got sharp glints of the Lee-style gore and horror, but weirdly juxtaposed within a very interesting, engaging story with a protagonist that I will say is my favorite he's written so far, but that may be because I am a gamer.

I realize that those coming from his earlier wo
Summer
TL;DR version: Pick the time setting you're going to write in and just write it. This book would've been better with either time period cut out of it and the rest mashed together. Decent horror, just tedious at times.

This is my second Edward Lee book, and I can't say I'm very impressed. I don't think I'll pick up another of his books.

The Golem has a lot of good things going for it- 1) It has a monster that it familiar to most but not exploited on like vampires or werewolves which keeps it relati
William M.
2 AND 1/2 STARS

Having read 75% of Edward Lee's books, both the mass market and the more hardcore limited edition titles, I have to place "The Golem" right in the middle. Not bad, but a bit predictable and not very scary. Sure, it has a nice amount of deranged inhabitants involved in brutal acts of violence and sex, along with some decent gore, but I felt it could have used some editing.

With the exception of the prologue from 1880, I didn't think author Lee needed to constantly return to the pa
Matt
Jun 11, 2013 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
The premise behind this book was a really interesting one. I can't recall ever reading a book about golems of Jewish folklore in the past. Lee clearly had an adequate grasp on the subject, so certainly this book should have written itself, right?

Eh. I don't go into these novels expecting timeless literature, as they're essentially the written equivalent of B-horror movies filmed with mom's video camera and a budget of whatever could be found under couch cushions and refrigerators. But I still be
Ken
This book delves into the Jewish legend of the Golem and into the dark side of Kaballism. It made for an interesting read.

Typically, if I enjoy a book enough that it makes me want to read more by that author, I give a book 4 stars. This book though came up a bit short on a couple measures.

First, one of the main characters is a know-it-all. Damn lady knows everything...each time because she used to date a guy that was a professional in whatever area. That was more than a bit overplayed.

Second, I
DJMikeG
This was a really enjoyable horror novel. When Ed Lee is on, he writes with a certain maniacal glee that is truly a wonder to behold, if you have a strong stomach. This is gross, absolutely gross stuff, but it is done is a fun, almost B Movie style that makes the book a blast to read. The narratives intertwine, one set in 1880, one set in the present, and they really work well together. The book never lets up, and hits you with surprises and shocks right up until the last page. This is schlock h ...more
Charlene Nelson
Golem and Evil

All I can say is wow !!! Amazing book I loved the change of scenery from the 1880s to current this book was a great read !!! Judy was by far my favorite character a lot of life and energy to her. Even doing Evil has its dues to pay. I recommend this book for anyone to read. I look forward to reading more books from Edward Lee just great writing
Brian Steele
Oh, how I love Edward Lee! After I read his disappointing Brides Of The Impaler, I was quite thrilled to be subjected to the hideous historical atrocities found within this novel. While the book switches back to modern day throughout the tale, Lee's depiction of these particular Golems retain their absolutely horrific appeal. The thoroughly corrupt cops are a nice bonus, too.

The sexual aspect of the two main protagonists relationship was far too heavily dwelt upon, as per Lee's usual take. (The
Shaun Meeks
This may not be one of Edwards Lee's wackiest books, but it is up there as a good one. If you're going into this expecting something as crazy as Header or Pig and The House, you might be disappointed. This time, Lee brings a disturbing tale that crosses time and generation. One thing I particularly love about this one is how the monsters in this are nowhere near as bad or disturbing as the human ones. As someone who works around people addicted to drugs (mainly crack and meth) and gets to see fi ...more
Nov 02, 2012 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horror fans, Edward Lee fans
Shelves: horror
Basic Summary: Lots of limbs are ripped out of sockets.

Maybe it's because of the picture on the book's cover, but the description of the golem doesn't creep me out or unnerve me at all. I also have some questions about how Judy could accomplish what she did at the end; it doesn't seem like it should be as simple as that.

Still, it's an Edward Lee book: it's hard to put down and easy to read all in one sitting. Overall, though, it does feel a lot unhappier than his other books I've read, so while
Steven
A nouveau rich man and his girlfriend buy a house near a town that is inhabited by satanists who make Golem's. The plot is straightforward and kept my interest. The ending was good. There is a little back story, and some information relating to real world beliefs. The characters were interesting. Edward Lee is one of my favorite author's in the horror genre. This is not his best work, but it was enjoyable.
Misty Battle
I had read a previous Lee book that left a bad taste in my mouth. So I decided to read one of his earlier works to get adjusted to his style of writing. I must say I am glad I hung in there. I loved this book. It was slow to start, but when it picked up wow! I was drawn in quickly and couldn't put it down until I found out how it ended. Excellent read for a newcomer to the world of Lee.
Wayne
Pretty good story. Could have done without the drug dealer over story but I guess that it brings a bit of the real world along. Also didn't really care for the fact that the dealers kept doing stuff to the main female character. Lee did make them so that you really hated them though.
Erin
Good, fun horror story. It was complex enough to keep one entertained, but not so much as to disrupt the fact that it is a fun read. I enjoyed the fact that the horror of the novel had a background related to the Jewish faith instead of Christianity, because it was something different.
John Everson
When a superstar video game designer and his girlfriend move out to the country to escape their substance abuse addled past, they soon find themselves in the thick of an age-old plot revolving around Jewish sorcery to create the ultimate killing machines... golems.
Brandy
I selected this book to read the author's writing style while I wait for his new release of HOUSE of FLESH. I liked the particular style in that it was very descriptive and direct. I will read a future book by Edward Lee but the story was predictable and jumped around.
Chrissy Wheeler
The Golem was a pretty good read, it only took three days of casual reading to finish it. Plenty of gore, violence and creepiness. It was fun to read, and had a nice pace to the storyline. If you like other Edward Lee novels, you'll like this one.
Finally a golem story that was scary and not just "dark fantasy". I liked his development of a dark, heretical answer to Kabalistic ritual/legend and the blending in with early American "history". It was a gripping read.

Highly recommend it.
William
Scary, graphic. Tale about mystical Judaism. It was a fun, quick read that kept my attention. I was a little irritated at some editing errors but overall a good read. WARNING: contains violence against women.
Eduardo
Very entertaining, a quick read with engaging characters and some shocking moments, I had fun reading it and look forward to seek more by Edward Lee.
Tim
Another great page turner from Edward Lee. Not one of my favorite Edward Lee novels, but it had great bad guys and a great monster.
Konnie
Not Lee's best, but it was still an interesting read. I did enjoy the book, although it did drag a bit. I still recommend it, though!
  • Triage
  • A Gathering of Crows
  • The Freakshow
  • Clickers II: The Next Wave
  • Succulent Prey
  • Bestial
  • The Devil in Gray
  • Crimson

Edward Lee was born (er, jettisoned) into the world on May 25, 1957, and was raised in Bowie, Md. He has sold 15 novels and continues to pursue the ludicrous profession of freelance writing. From 1976-79, he served in the U.S. Army Security Agency and then was transferred to the 1st Armored Division in Erlangen,
More about Edward Lee...
City Infernal (City Infernal, #1) Flesh Gothic House Infernal (City Infernal, #3) Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2) The Backwoods