Start by marking “Moving Mars” as Want to Read:
Moving Mars

Moving Mars (Queen of Angels #3)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  5,875 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
Greg Bear is "a writer who is rapidly redefining the shape of the modern hard science fiction novel" (Keith Ferrell, Omni Magazine), and in Moving Mars he explores one very plausible scenario for the future of Earth's neighboring planet.

Mars is a colonial world governed by corporate interests on Earth. The citizens of Mars are hardworking, brave, and intelligent, but held
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published February 22nd 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Mars, please sign up.

Flyss Williams I read it as a stand alone and loved it, there was no need at all to read any of the other books before hand. It worked fine on its own. Of course I…moreI read it as a stand alone and loved it, there was no need at all to read any of the other books before hand. It worked fine on its own. Of course I do now want to read all of the others :)(less)

Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. This is a fantastic novel. Greg Bear gives the reader a very well rounded view of a future Mars (and Earth) and provides fascinating ideas about a variety of topics, including future politics (both Earth and Mars), artificial intelligence, nanotechnology and genetic engineering. I enjoyed the way Bear addressed each of these topics and made them both accessible and very interesting. All of the above is enough to highly recommend this book. However, when you add in the "major sc ...more
Christopher
Sep 20, 2007 Christopher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Greg Bear's MOVING MARS was nominated for the Hugo Award in 1993, sold well, and was acclaimed by some reviewers. I loved every word of Kim Stanely Robinson's Mars trilogy, and wanting to learn more about the Red Planet, I read MOVING MARS. I was nearly instantly disappointed.

MOVING MARS concerns a rebellion of the people of Mars against a hostile government on Earth. Central to this event is the discovery of a small team of Martian scientists that space-time is malleable and objects can be easi
Karen
Moving Mars is probably my favorite hard Sci-fi book I've read! Although the first half is mind boggling and full of politics and science that I didn't understand whatsoever, the 2nd half more than makes up for it with the breathtaking action. Again, as in the first six or ten times I've read this, as I flipped the last page, I let out the breath I've apparently been holding for hours! (Yes, I know I didn't really hold my breath for hours, but it sure feels like it!)
Jason Ashlock
Jan 06, 2011 Jason Ashlock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the slowest burns, but with a very bright ending. You could say the majority of the book (400 pages) is all backstory and character development, if not the entire thing. All so the last 100 hundred pages can stitch up the story nicely with emotion, action and all--even a little nostalgia (it's a long book). The main character was nicely set up over time. Very epic. She made a few leaps in skill level that could be a little unbelievable but the author kept her humble enough. Same could be ...more
Lisabet Sarai
I have very mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, the author's vision of the Mars landscape and his back story about the planet's former life forms really grabbed me. On the other hand, the characters seemed like robots, and the (long) narrative felt plodding, without a sense of rising crisis (even though the actual events are cataclysmic).

I tend to prefer minimalist scifi, where everything flows from a few premises about future technology or society. MOVING MARS, on the other hand,
Sandi
Enjoyable hard science fiction novel about the coming of age of the Mars colony both politically and scientifically and how Mother Earth reacts to the changes. Thought the main plot was very interesting and loved all the political machinations but did get a bit bogged down during the scientific explanations. Listened to the audio version read by Sharon Williams.
Rui Carmo
This thing about settling Mars always devolving into political strife has to stop...
Andy
Oct 18, 2016 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
What a great read. You begin with a story, a psychology, an idiology and think, this book does a good job of understanding the human condition(s). Then the (red) rabbit hole deepens and you are taken into a science of scale that is wonderous and frightening. The results of which create the mess and subsequent liberation of Mars.

I was truly enthralled the whole time. This book in itself could have been broken up into a few volumes and a number of tributaries to let you know more of the people, po
Charl
Jan 07, 2013 Charl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y2013
I'm not into drama and character development, or long, elaborate social development stories. I'm much more interested in the new tech, the scientific breakthrough, or just a good action tale in a sci-fi setting that couldn't possibly be told in any other setting.

Unfortunately for me, Mr. Bear takes a long time setting up and developing his characters and the socio-political background for his Mars colony. If that's your cuppa, you'll probably love it.

If, like me, that just doesn't interest you,
Bryan
Jan 12, 2010 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, sf
Reading this book is a unique experience, as it varies from VERY BORING to AMAZING every couple hundred pages.

Maybe it's two books in an awkward dance, with author Greg Bear unable to tweak the pacing enough to bring more balance to the novel.

Don't get me wrong - when this book is good, it is VERY VERY GOOD! One of the finest books you'll read.

But when it's boring, it's several hundred pages of boredom. And unfortunately, the dull parts occur fairly early. I wonder how many people gave up on thi
Chris
Nov 16, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. The first third of this book is near unreadable. If you can struggle through that it opens up into a fast paced political thriller with some rather insane physics assumptions baked in. The main conflict of the book revolves around the concepts of mutually assured destruction, colonialism, and game theory. The problem is that it's just about bonkers. For a hard sci-fi book it had some problematic assumptions. It didn't help that I hated one of the main characters.

If you want to read a good M
Warren Watts
Apr 15, 2009 Warren Watts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
As a fairly regular reader of science-fiction, I had seen many of Greg Bear’s novels on the shelves at my local library. I can be rather narrow-minded when it comes to exploring new authors. I vaguely recall having read at least one other Greg Bear novel; so long ago I don’t even remember the title. My local library has a very limited selection of science fiction available and I had pretty much exhausted all the novels by authors I regularly read. I’m glad I did choose the book; it was an enjoya ...more
Sean
Jul 07, 2011 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Moving Mars was a more modern take on mutually assured destruction that managed to be terribly entertaining without reminding me of all the other Cold War sci-fi novels. Bear smoothly integrates the sci-fi musts, new technology and environments, with the new political situation arising between a socially advanced Earth and relatively backward colony Mars. The main character is a likeable, realstic and strong female Martian interested in a career in studying Martian/Earth relations. The story fol ...more
Ilya
Nov 12, 2012 Ilya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is supposed to be a hard science fiction novel, but its characters move Mars 10,000 light-years just by the force of thinking about quantum logic. Quantum logic is an actual field of study in physics; unlike classical logic, it allows one to reason about such propositions as "The electron is less than 1nm from the proton" and "The speed of the electron is less than 1km/s"; the truth of both propositions cannot be determined at the same time. Thinking hard about it (or about anything else) w ...more
Stephen M Vakil
Aug 18, 2015 Stephen M Vakil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the old adage about boiling a frog. I enjoyed the overall writing style and direction of the plot early on, even if I felt like a sleepy student in a science class occasionally. Slowly the imagination and developments sucked me in, and then at one point I became the frog boiling in a pot of water, unable to escape and riveted (ribbeted?) by the intensity and vision of the plot as the final 1/4 of the novel blistered and enthralled me. I could barely tolerate waiting to see how it developed, ...more
Angela
Oct 03, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving two stars for some interesting ideas about science and technology.

The "tell don't show" style of the author really detracted from my enjoyment of the story. The first part of the story seemed like a list of barely related events. The main character, who wasn't the most interesting person in the story by far, always seemed to be irritated about something. It was rarely clear what she had to be so mad about.

This same story told in third person about the main scientist in a more detaile
Vít
Sep 18, 2016 Vít rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
V podstatě politický thriller o boji Marsu za nezávislost na Zemi, vyprávěný ve formě pamětí bývalé marťanské političky a prezidentky. A právě to, že sledujeme postupné zhoršování vztahu mezi oběma planetami z pohledu nejprve radikální studentky, pak začínající političky až po vrcholnou představitelku planety, dělá z Marťanské cesty víc než jen další z mnoha hard scifi. Líbilo se mi asi ještě víc než Královna andělů.
Bria
Oct 12, 2008 Bria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are having trouble getting in to this book, please, as a personal favor to me, stick with it. It is worth it! Eventually you will discover that you are still reading it without even noticing, and that its pages are wet with the salty tears of your unbridled optimism's disappointment that it is not real.
Mk
Apr 20, 2009 Mk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hot damn Greg Bear knows what good is. Its not often I consciously love the protagonist of a first-person narrative. Casseia Majumdar was a very intriguing heroine, determined to lead Mars into its first actual government. Moving Mars details an arms race between two neighboring planets and that shit scares the fuck out of me.
Aaron Harvey
Basically a tell not show young adult novel with a sudden extended burst of mumbojumbo science-talk at the end. I only finished this book due to the rather good review consensus here. Don't make my mistake.

If you're interested in Bear I recommend Slant.
Nick
Mar 01, 2013 Nick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If it takes more than a 100 pages to pick up the story, it's time to drop the book. I would not suggest this book to anyone.
Jonas Salonen
Feb 09, 2017 Jonas Salonen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last book in the series that begun with Quantico. Every other book in the series was a great read but Heads and this one really were amazing. It probably has to do with the fact that the other books in the series were placed in the near future as these last two were quite a lot further in the future.

Even though Bear writes good books in any genre he has written in it seems he really shines in science fiction where he can let his ideas run freely. The text flows effortlesly and does
Robin
The quality goes up and down like a rollercoaster. After a boring but brief prologue, the first act becomes an intimate, almost literary exploration of key characters. Then the second act falls of a cliff and wallows in the some of the most tedious, wretchedly inconsequential politics ever written for 250 pages. Whole characters and subplots come and go without contributing to the story, just treading water. Just when you're past the point you should have quit, the book abruptly becomes good aga ...more
Janito Vaqueiro Ferreira Filho
Overall it's a great book. It's fun to read, the characters are interesting, and the political scenario is believable. However, I felt that the science in the book is stretched too far, that there were many clichés and that it missing some special moments.

The book follows the path of Casseia Majumdar, a Martian woman, in her political career. It starts with her in college, fighting for what she believes is right, and evolves as she increases her importance. When she starts to reach a significant
James
Jan 06, 2017 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Oh Robespierre, you haven't a chance for I am in love with Jacobin
Jacobin, I see thou true self, and it is vile
Oh Robespierre, I swoon before thee.
Thy dreams are too grand Robespierre, we must part.
Vladimir, to my love be true.
I grieve for thee dearest Vlad, may you rest in peace
Oh Robespierre, our souls are intertwined for all eternity"

This book was utter claptrap. I wish I could get the time I spent reading it added back to my life.
Stephanie Foust
Jan 12, 2017 Stephanie Foust rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An epic story of the struggle of the planet Mars to gain its independence from Earth.A book of deep political and philosophical questions and the humans who try to carve out a life despite the hardships involved.
David
In the front of the book, the publisher printed excerpts from several reviews. One said, "After a deceptively slow start in which Mr. Bear sows the seeds of his piquant premise..."

I guess it was "deceptive" in that briefly it seemed like the story would be about a political movement on Mars, then for a significant section it seemed as it it might be a personal drama with the Martian colony as a backdrop, then is seemed... There are a few background elements which have some relevance later in the
Trey
Kind of a weird book. If I could have given multiple ratings to different parts of this book it would have been 4* for the beginning, 2* for the middle and 3 to 4* for the end. Overall I would say this is a pretty good book for anyone interested in sorta near futurish colonization of the solar system. Also would be a good book for if you have just finished reading a really awesome series and any book you read next would appear sort of dull regardless.

It started off pretty awesome with the whole
Karen
May 07, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, books-i-own
In 2171, humanity has not only colonized the Moon, but also Mars and even a few asteroids. We’ve lived on Mars long enough to be past the frontier-roughing-it-stage and thoroughly entrenched in the political-upheaval stage. Casseia Majumdar is a student at the University of Mars when she and over eighty per cent of the student body have their contracts terminated. Just as she’s about to go home, she stumbles into a political resistance aiming to fight this atrocity. This is but the first in a lo ...more
David
Aug 24, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The sub-title for this book, if it were non-fiction, would be The Memoirs of Casseia Majumdar. And like most memoirs, I found it dull. Sure, Casseia took some nice trips, did some cool things, and they would've been fine for ordinary people, but as a work of fiction, it wasn't all that entertaining. At least for the first 290 pages.

Don't get me wrong. I thought Casseia was a fantastic character, probably worthy of being included on the list of Top 100 characters of science fiction (if such a lis
  • No Enemy But Time
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
  • The Healer's War
  • The Einstein Intersection
  • The Moon and the Sun
  • Man Plus (Man Plus #1)
  • Timescape
  • Seeker (Alex Benedict, #3)
  • Camouflage
  • Powers (Annals of the Western Shore, #3)
  • Slow River
  • The Claw of the Conciliator (The Book of the New Sun #2)
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...

Queen of Angels (4 books)
  • Queen of Angels (Queen of Angels, #1)
  • Heads (Queen of Angels, #2)
  • Slant (Queen of Angels, #4)

“Equal in law is not equal in nature.” 3 likes