Start by marking “A Policy of Lies” as Want to Read:
A Policy of Lies

A Policy of Lies

Twenty years ago, Levi Kaszeri survived a brutal rebellion on the mining colony of Tarus 9. Now as an aspiring reporter, Levi has a mission: to expose the massacre to the public, and bring the men responsible to justice. But after a violent attack, he is rescued—then seduced—by Tiergan Seoras, a young doctor with a dangerous past and a slave tattoo. Soon Levi finds all of ...more
Published September 9th 2008 by Loose Id (first published September 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Policy of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Policy of Lies

Nancy
Sep 27, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
Posted at Hearts on Fire Reviews

I bought this title because I so thoroughly enjoyed Astrid Amara’s fun, sweet, humorous and romantic stories in Tangle.

The fun begins when investigative reporter Levi Kaszeri is walking through the worst district in the city to collect a piece of evidence, a memory implant he needs to complete his story of a massacre that took place on Tarus 9, a mining colony where Levi spent his childhood and where his family was brutally murdered. He is attacked by a mugger an
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Sep 18, 2016 John The Cosmic Wanderer rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Well written, great world building and the plot was interesting. A solid scifi story from Astrid.
Tina
Jun 24, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it

This one was an excellent read. The plot, the world-building, the romance, the character development, the powerful writing… everything was really well done.

Wonderful, great written sci-fi story, loved it. Highly recommended!
Alyosha
Excellent! Engaging characters, great world-building, interesting sci-fi setting, exciting plot, steamy and compelling romance. The writing was tight and smooth and the story engrossing.

5+ stars
Ami
This is the second story of Astrid Amara that I read and I am really impressed. "A Policy of Lies" give me everything I want in a good story. A sympathetic likeable characters, intriguing plot, hot sexy sex scenes, and a great description of fantasy world. I'm not really into sci-fi world, but when it is well-written like this, I'm all for it. I truly enjoy how the story is being built up -- and the chemistry between Levi and Tiergan is strong, I can feel it (an everytime they have the
Jenre
Aug 12, 2009 Jenre rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, sci-fi
I'd seen this book months ago when it was first released by Loose Id and considered buying it. It sounded a bit different from the m/m contemporary romances and mysteries I'd been reading up to that point. I didn't buy it in the end for two reasons: Firstly, it is a sci-fi, a genre I've not really read very much and I wasn't sure whether I would like it and secondly, I'd not read anything previously by this author and was unable to find a review of the book. With so many books around by authors ...more
Galia
Jun 17, 2016 Galia rated it it was ok
Katharina
Dec 11, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it
3.75

I'm a bit torn about this one (I had quite a bit of this lately, seems like quite a trend ;-D). I really loved the science-fiction aspects, and I especially loved that the main characters had pretty "mundane" jobs for such a setting - a journalist and a doctor. That isn't something you see very often in science-fiction. The mystery component, the intricacies and unexpected elements of the plot were great - I really loved those! To be honest, the beginning was fairly slow, but once the suspen
Karel
Nov 08, 2012 Karel rated it liked it
Quite hard to rate this one. 4 stars for the world: Well-built, very interesting, very well thought out. The conspiracy of million-dollar corporations, journalism, the Tarus 9 strike and insurance companies lent a very realistic feeling to the world. Writing was brilliant too - the descriptions of Washoe and Ishan were so real you can almost see the place. The story flowed smoothly and even when there are paragraphs filled with description, you don't get bored.

Now the plot and the characters on
Tully Vincent
Feb 17, 2015 Tully Vincent rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying the title is VERY apt. This author came on my radar when I read and adored Song of the Navigator earlier in the year. That book impressed me so much that I had to read more.

Nice world-building (some of the details were great, like the domed biospheres), sucked me in pretty quickly and kept me hooked with its fast pace, enjoyable female character, seriously sick-ass bad guy(s), and some serious twists. Plenty of action.

The POV character, Levi, is nuanced and well-d
Nov 04, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: okay, slashreaders
SlashReader: So, as noted a few days ago I first encountered Astrid Amara's work in this anthology, Irregulars: Stories by Nicole Kimberling, Josh Lanyon, Ginn Hale and Astrid Amara. I looking around through her other stuff, I decided to give this one a try as it was fairly short and fairly cheep. :)

(view spoiler)
Snowtulip
Oct 03, 2011 Snowtulip rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, sci-fi, own
4.5

This story was so interesting and unique that I just couldn't put it down. The world building component of the story really worked for me, especially Tiergan's body. The plot had so many unique components to it to keep interested. The reader definately knew where things were heading in terms of good/bad guys, but the world provided new challenges. Levi and Tiergan's hot/cold relationship worked in this situation (not something I usually like) and I really just loved Tiergan's sensitivity to t
Nikko
Aug 11, 2011 Nikko rated it it was amazing
I read this work and I finished in 8 hrs because I have to do my work too but damn you I luv this story!! A really2 incredible story full of emotion and romance.. I cried at one part... Astrid Amara is going to be one of my favourite authors.. Love this!!
Tamara (M'rella)
Very quick read, despite 180 pages. I really enjoyed it, even though Levi was a little too slow on the uptake for a journalist.
3.75, rounding up to 4 :)
Ambre
Dec 04, 2016 Ambre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best work

I'm a big fan of this author's Archer's Heart series and have enjoyed some others, but this just isn't a very good book.

The hints are there that the author is capable, with some good dialog and imagery, but the story just hits my plausibility buttons all over the place. There are logical issues and practical issues and continuity issues. There are pacing issues as well.

The basic premise is that Levi's family was killed during a massacre on a mining settlement. He is a journal
Elisa Rolle
In a futuristic world Levi is a survivor: his parents were almost slaves in a mine planet and when there was a riot in the planet, first his father, then his mother and sister were killed. Levi was sent in another planet and in the end adopted by a family, but he has never forgotten what he has seen. And his only purpose now is the unveil the hidden truth the corporation which owns the mine was so good to hide. A young reporter with a personal mission, he meets Tiergan, a young doctor in a free ...more
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
Jul 01, 2016 ⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣ rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, scifi, sfrcsummer2016
4.0 Stars

Solid scifi story with a tried and true revenge theme. What I liked best was the cybernetic/mechanical implants being used for medical treatment and care.

And, honestly, given today's pro-corporate environment and the penny-pinching, morally bankrupt attitude of most insurance companies, the involuntary servitude of strategic policy holders seems less in the realm of "impossible" and leaning more toward "improbable but certainly a consideration." The only flaw I can see in the implement
Ruth
Aug 25, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
The main character in this pretty much defines "too stupid to live". How he manages to not see the really, extremely obvious clues about who the bad guy is...

The plot is pretty awful, which is a shame because the world building was interesting.

And this book follows the trend of many plot/romance fusions, wherein the ending is non-existent and a "three months later!" epilogue is supposed to satisfy us. In this case, the epilogue felt too unrealistic, given how the plot developed. Spoilers ahead:
Boingboing
Apr 09, 2012 Boingboing rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper
Honestly, I can't remember how I came to own this ebook. I will tell you this, it's one of my favorites. It's a feel-good book for me and one I keep going back to time and again to read.

From the opening paragraph, I can't close it until I've read all the way to the end. It's sharp and compelling and I love the chemistry between Levi and Tiergan. There's a bit of violence but it's not off-putting but just enough to make you wince in places. From the beginning you know Tiergan is hiding something.
Shaz
Oct 23, 2011 Shaz rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, sci-fi-fantasy
This one has left me with a bit of a problem.

On the one hand, I loved it. The world building, the strength of the characters and the way the action unfolds is brilliantly written. Especially little details that just "finish" the whole thing, without getting bogged down.

On the other hand, Levi's virtual blindness to things going on around him is baffling. For someone to have survived what he did to remain so clueless, so naive, is hard to swallow. And that did pull me out of the story at times.
ElaineY
Dec 28, 2008 ElaineY rated it really liked it
This sci-fi futuristic is so different from Amara's Holiday Outing that it felt as if it was written by a different author. It wasn't just that this one is in the 3rd Person and HO was in the 1st but the tone is different as well. A Policy of Lies is a sci-fi suspense, darker and serious whereas Holiday Outing was closer to a romantic comedy.

I preferred the writing in HO as the narrative in Policy of Lies felt a little amateurish in parts. Good story and original, nonetheless. Nice HEA and one T
Tj
Dec 10, 2011 Tj rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Wonderful world building. Levi, for all of his childhood hardships, doesn't have much survival skills. Tiergan is a wonderful character that has endured a horrible past. The "mystery" is not all that surprising but it was interesting to watch how everything unfolded. A good story that was fun and fascinating to read.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
I love science fiction. This had some trippy situations that were fun but I needed why more world-building, history, information, something. I also thought Levi & Tiergan needed more time to really get to know each other. How can you love someone you can't read? Details and slow down. Yes, I'll read something else from Astrid Amara but I want MORE!
Lestweship
OK so i haven't read it yet but before i start it i am going to hazard a guess that this book started it's life as STAR TREK fanfic. Probably Kirk/McCoy but i'm holding on to my hope of an awesome book from a more than decent author. Fingers crossed! full review to be posted when i am done.
Liz (Bugetta)
May 07, 2014 Liz (Bugetta) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Liz (Bugetta) by: Tully Vincent
This started off a bit slow for me. It felt a bit like I'd gotten dropped into the middle of a story, but once I got accustomed to the world and the characters it got really good. The romance was a bit insta-lovey but I still enjoyed it.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by:Nancy
Genre: M/M Sci Fi
Rated: 4 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Coltostallion
Coltostallion rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Merwan
Merwan rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dark Edge of Honor
  • Outcast Mine
  • Storms and Stars
  • Sanctuary  (Off World, #2)
  • Zero Hour
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
  • Starfall
  • Somatesthesia
  • Beloved Son (Aisling, #3)
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • Blind Space
  • No Quarter (Bounty, #1)
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • When I Fall (An Uncommon Whore, #2)
  • Break and Enter (Red Cell #1)
  • Persistence of Memory
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • The Hunting Moon (Theo Bourne #1)