Start by marking “Dressing with Dignity” as Want to Read:
Dressing with Dignity

Dressing with Dignity

In this ground-breaking book, Colleen Hammond challenges today's fashions and provides you the information you need to protect yourself and your loved ones from the onslaught of tasteless, immodest clothing. Colleen Hammond shares real-life examples of how women can accentuate the grace and beauty of their femininity, and she shows that modest definitely does not mean ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 152 pages
Published July 9th 2005 by TAN Books

To ask other readers questions about Dressing with Dignity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dressing with Dignity

Sharon
Nov 24, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone -- male and female
I very much enjoyed reading this book. I've read some of the reviews already posted and concur with some of the problems others had with the author's handling of the subject matter. However, it challenged me to look at the BIG picture, not just taking exception to what others thought were extreme positions on chastity and modesty and how they should affect how we dress and comport ourselves. To me, whenever I read something that seems "old-fashioned", I have to question myself as to whether my ...more
Kate
Dec 22, 2013 Kate rated it did not like it
Though she makes some good points and traces the fascinating history of modern fashion, I find Coleen Hammond's book to be too legalistic in it rules of modesty for my taste. I believe there should be a standard of dress and that modern dress is a far cry from what it ought to be. Nevertheless, modesty should not be measured by inches so much as by the type of person and the occasion.
Rachel Noffke
Dec 22, 2013 Rachel Noffke rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic-books
I really agreed with a lot of the things that this author had to say about femininity and the role of women vs. men in the world. It's something I've really been growing in my understanding of over the last couple of months. The difference between femininity and feminism is stark and worth investigating.

I may not agree with all of her fashion advice, but I agree with all the princliples of dressing as a woman and with modesty and grace. It's something that is quite needed in our society today.
Heather
Dec 22, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
I think the author makes some very good points on having pride in one's femininity and dressing like it. Citing Church documents to back herself up on differences between male and female, masculine and feminine, great. That, you've convinced me despite your overuse of anecdotes and exclamation points.

But seeing confusion of the sexes as a Masonic conspiracy? Not so much. If she hadn't been so convincing on the first part, she'd have half as many stars.
TheRose
Dec 22, 2013 TheRose rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, self-help
A must-read for the modern Catholic woman. I only wish the chapter on the Freemasons' involvement in 20th century women's fashion evolvement was better written/researched. It was unclear exactly how they were connected; just one letter from one mason to another was cited. Other than that, this book is an excellent argument for being a nonconformist when it comes to current clothing styles.
Juliana Tomingas
Dec 22, 2013 Juliana Tomingas rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
My views are not completely in line with hers, but still an excellent presentation on the roles of modesty and femininity in the life of a Christian woman.
George
Dec 22, 2013 George rated it really liked it
Echoing the warnings of Our Lady of Fatima.
Rose
Nov 08, 2016 Rose rated it really liked it
This is a book written for Catholics. Since I'm not one, some parts didn't have any meaning to me. In particular the constant reference to the virgin Mary, the Mother of Jesus. I didn't mind it, since I knew going in it was a Catholic book, and in fact I found it interesting. Colleen Hammond did an amazing job with her research. The history of the swimsuit caught my attention, because I recently gave mine away. Every time I wore it, I was constantly tugging it up to cover my chest, or down to ...more
Catherine Cavanagh
May 19, 2015 Catherine Cavanagh rated it it was amazing
Although it is a number of years since I last read this book, it lingers vividly in my memory. Rarely have I read a clearer definition of what clothing is modest and what clothing is immodest. Her basic premise is that if women cover up what should not be on public display, then the minds of the men around them will be freed to think about higher and more noble things than their sexual instincts. Here are a few short quotes:
'Be the feminine woman that God created you to be, and you'll find that
Elena
Mar 26, 2014 Elena rated it it was amazing
In the years since Colleen Hammond's Dressing with Dignity first came out, it has inspired no end of criticism and controversy. Why? It challenges women to examine their feminine vocation in the light of Church doctrine, inviting them to follow in the path of Our Lady and the great women saints. It challenges the deceptions of the feminist movement which have subtly crept into the psyches of so many Catholic women. It is no easy matter to be drawn out of one's comfort zone, and takes a ...more
April
May 08, 2016 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
An excellent overview of why modesty is important, what it means to be modest, and how a woman can be what she was created by God to be - a woman.

There's no reason to try to be like men. What we are, women, is just as good. By aping men you're telling them that they're better than you are. Why not be what God created you to be? Treat yourself with respect and dignity, and you'll soon find that others will too.
Frthomas Morrow
Frthomas Morrow rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Jillian
Jillian rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2011
Anna Dewey
Anna Dewey rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2012
Rose Krusling
Rose Krusling rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Elyse Berninger
Elyse Berninger rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2016
Roxanne Foux
Roxanne Foux rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Barbie
Barbie rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2012
Eileen Kissane
Eileen Kissane rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Monica Carroll
Monica Carroll rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2007
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Salena
Salena rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Janie Morris
Janie Morris rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Amy Mcguckin
Amy Mcguckin rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Ruthie
Ruthie rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2010