Start by marking “Brother Juniper's Bread Book” as Want to Read:
Brother Juniper's Bread Book

Brother Juniper's Bread Book

This classic guide to artisanal bread is back with a fresh new look, just in time to take advantage of the recent surge in popularity of at-home baking. As an award-winning baker and member of a religious brotherhood, Peter Reinhart skillfully blends the two aspects of his life in this eloquent guide to creating wonderful bread. More than 30 delicious recipes, from perfect ...more
Published November 8th 2005 by Running Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Brother Juniper's Bread Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brother Juniper's Bread Book

Norma
Jan 08, 2011 Norma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read all the way thru the book yet, it's kinda been buried in the pile, but I did make the first bread recipe with good results. 5/24/11

Oct. 2011 Update: I finally had a chance to revisit this book and I have 3 loaves of Struan rising on the counter right now. I really liked the way Peter Reinhart linked bread making to life. The anecdotes are as important to the book as the recipes. I thought the book would have more on pre-fermentation than it did.
Heather
Feb 22, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love good bread and making it.
This was the first book that really helped me understand how good bread is made. It's sort of a recipe/philosophy book all in one. I loved it and found it an interesting read as well as good for recipes. The author has learned a lot since writing this book, as evidenced by his books written since then, but this one was the one that helped me learn and love to make bread to feed the soul as well as the body.
Gary Mesick
Oct 14, 2009 Gary Mesick rated it really liked it
You could read this book without being a baker because its message is spiritual, rather than culinary. But I use it as a bread technique book--and it works quite well. It won't replace Bernard Clayton's bread book (Clayton is more concerned with recipes than my soul), but it makes an excellent companion, especially if you have set aside the bread pans and are making artisan loaves.
Dana
Jun 25, 2017 Dana rated it it was ok
Reinhart is one of my favorite bakers to learn from but this book was not as good as I expected it to be. His analogies were stretched and/or unclearly communicated. There are a few good looking recipes in here that I plan to try. The "oreganato bread" is yummy!
Alan Mizell
Jun 06, 2016 Alan Mizell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about baking bread using the technique of allowing the dough to rise slowly to add to the texture and flavor of the bread, and the slow rise as a spiritual metaphor. Short essays on various aspects of baking include stories from the author's years running a bakery cafe in California connected with a religious organization, the profits of which benefited the homeless.

The book is well written and myself not being a person leaning to the spiritual side of things, that part was not too much.
Hadyn
Apr 08, 2016 Hadyn rated it it was amazing
Maybe Reinhart's most accessible cookbook. A great intro to bread baking. It's everything you want in a cookbook- clear writing, easy recipes to build confidence, and an author with a unique voice and perspective. At times it's incredibly funny, but mostly touching. The original subtitle was "slow rise as method and metaphor," which describes this book well. I have read and loved many of Reinhart's books over the years, and what I most appreciate is that he doesn't consider himself a 'master' of ...more
Spook Harrison
Jul 09, 2013 Spook Harrison rated it liked it
Recommended to Spook by: Taken By Communion
Shelves: recipes
Enjoying the insight into the various aspects of bread making, and the diverse recipes. Liking the points made about communion, dough rising, dough vs. bread, religion and spirituality...yes. I picked it up because it was recommended by another book on spirituality, and while the various reflections (p. 190 esp.) by the author are well said, I also was dying to try out some of the recipes by the end!
Ron Davidson
Jul 31, 2016 Ron Davidson rated it it was amazing
Peter Reinhart is my new hero -- I took up bread baking a little while ago, and now I've begun selling loaves as a hobby. The vast majority of the recipes I use are his, but from other books. In this book I've found quite a few more I want to try.

My only complaint: Coming from a "thick and chewy" pizza culture, I heartily disagree with the author's declaration that pizza crust must be crunchy. He obviously has never had the glorious experience of Sicilian pizza.
Mara Shaw
Oct 31, 2011 Mara Shaw rated it really liked it
Peter Reinhart is brilliant, even if his books are as full of self-promotion as bread is with gluten. His Struan is lovely and his spirituality is peppered throughout the book like raisins in a cinnamon bagel. It's a fresh taste compared to all of the more analytical approaches. I just can't read too much of him, though, as his books seem largely repetitive, although the recipes are new.
Samantha
Feb 12, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-cookery
May I recommend the poppy seed muffins? Very good. And a nice interesting reading cookbook. I have yet to make the other recipes but I think that this book is well worth a look.
And as an update I have since made the Struan and the Oreganato and both were good. The Struan was my preference and I am currently trying a wholewheat version.
Libroslibra
Mar 01, 2016 Libroslibra rated it it was amazing
In a world of hurry, Peter Reinhart reminds us to slow down and savor the simplest things. I learned to bake bread from this book. Struan is glorious stuff. I also learned to slow down and enjoy the journey through life.
wes Goertzen
Feb 17, 2009 wes Goertzen rated it really liked it
Shelves: readingpleasure
Good for making bread.

Good for reading.
Deb C
Deb C rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2009
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2007
Paulette Dubickas
Paulette Dubickas rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2017
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2008
Scott Lambert
Scott Lambert rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2009
Gabe
Gabe rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Kaaren Gann
Kaaren Gann rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Nazrin Razali
Nazrin Razali rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2007
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Betty
Betty rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2013
  • Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes
  • Rose's Christmas Cookies
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The Handmade Loaf
  • Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World
  • The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens
  • Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Flatbreads  Flavors
  • Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen
  • Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts