Start by marking “Brother Juniper's Bread Book” as Want to Read:
Brother Juniper's Bread Book

Brother Juniper's Bread Book

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This classic guide to artisanal bread is back with a fresh new look, just in time to take advantage of the recent surge in popularity of at-home baking. As an award-winning baker and member of a religious brotherhood, Peter Reinhart skillfully blends the two aspects of his life in this eloquent guide to creating wonderful bread. More than 30 delicious recipes, from perfect ...more
Published November 8th 2005 by Running Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Brother Juniper's Bread Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brother Juniper's Bread Book

Norma
I haven't read all the way thru the book yet, it's kinda been buried in the pile, but I did make the first bread recipe with good results. 5/24/11

Oct. 2011 Update: I finally had a chance to revisit this book and I have 3 loaves of Struan rising on the counter right now. I really liked the way Peter Reinhart linked bread making to life. The anecdotes are as important to the book as the recipes. I thought the book would have more on pre-fermentation than it did.
Heather
Feb 22, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love good bread and making it.
This was the first book that really helped me understand how good bread is made. It's sort of a recipe/philosophy book all in one. I loved it and found it an interesting read as well as good for recipes. The author has learned a lot since writing this book, as evidenced by his books written since then, but this one was the one that helped me learn and love to make bread to feed the soul as well as the body.
Gary Mesick
You could read this book without being a baker because its message is spiritual, rather than culinary. But I use it as a bread technique book--and it works quite well. It won't replace Bernard Clayton's bread book (Clayton is more concerned with recipes than my soul), but it makes an excellent companion, especially if you have set aside the bread pans and are making artisan loaves.
Spook Harrison
Sep 17, 2013 Spook Harrison rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Spook by: Taken By Communion
Shelves: recipes
Enjoying the insight into the various aspects of bread making, and the diverse recipes. Liking the points made about communion, dough rising, dough vs. bread, religion and spirituality...yes. I picked it up because it was recommended by another book on spirituality, and while the various reflections (p. 190 esp.) by the author are well said, I also was dying to try out some of the recipes by the end!
Mara Shaw
Peter Reinhart is brilliant, even if his books are as full of self-promotion as bread is with gluten. His Struan is lovely and his spirituality is peppered throughout the book like raisins in a cinnamon bagel. It's a fresh taste compared to all of the more analytical approaches. I just can't read too much of him, though, as his books seem largely repetitive, although the recipes are new.
Samantha
May I recommend the poppy seed muffins? Very good. And a nice interesting reading cookbook. I have yet to make the other recipes but I think that this book is well worth a look.
And as an update I have since made the Struan and the Oreganato and both were good. The Struan was my preference and I am currently trying a wholewheat version.
wes Goertzen

Jacob
Jacob added it
Mar 02, 2015
Barbara
Barbara is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2015
Jessica Derise Zolondek
Jessica Derise Zolondek marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
MaryAnn
MaryAnn marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Astrid Spencer
Astrid Spencer marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza