Start by marking “Life and Def: Sex, Drugs, Money, + God” as Want to Read:
Life and Def: Sex, Drugs, Money, + God

Life and Def: Sex, Drugs, Money, + God

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Russell Simmons, the original and eternal hip-hop mogul, is one of the most innovative and influential figures in modern American business and culture. When no one outside of inner-city New York had even heard of hip-hop, Simmons saw the seeds of a global force that would change the way people talk, dress, listen to music, and choose the heroes they hang on their walls. To ...more
Published September 24th 2002 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Life and Def, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life and Def

Adrienna
The title speaks for itself. In the late sixties and seventies, he speaks about drugs and money--how he sold artificial drugs as a youth and later when gangs formulated in Queens, Harlem, and surrounding cities. He later realized that he came from a decent neighborhood and good-home training, why was he in the street selling fake drugs (cocoa leaf as if it was cocaine) and hanging out with gangs (for those who came from broken homes)--so he got out before death came knocking at his door.

He went
Corina
Ehhh...it was aiiight....not much detail about his personal story, but more an overview of his business ventures and little tidbits of advice. I was expecting a lot more, but it's worth reading for anyone interested in hip hop culture, or the music business. I hope someday he writes a real autobiography, and maybe uses a decent co writer!
Kelvin Singleton
Russel Simmons' work in Sex, Drugs, Money, + God was a compelling depiction of the pitfalls of wanting, striving to achieve at any cost, and having success, Without and with God's blessing. It reminds me of my own life; where I've been; what I was willing to do;what I'm capable of; and where it ultimately led and now leads me. Inspiring.
Emmanuel
This book, written by Russell Simmons is just talking about what goes around in his area, with rappers, and such, involving what the title states "Sex, drugs, money + God". In my opinion I didn't really enjoy the book that much, was sort of boring.
Tony Smith
Sep 17, 2010 Tony Smith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Russell is a force, he has opened my eyes to business.

Not just the music, but the business of life and the life of business,I love it all.

Visionary, this needs to be in all of our homes.
bARRY
the biggest themes in this book are cocaine, cellphones & yoga. things that are really annoying when other people do/use them...but you're okay when you do/use them.
Ldvk
Great book not just about Russell but also about the early beginnings of hip hop and how he helped to shape it.-
Joe
Interesting insights into the early days of Hip Hop and a good documentation of Def Jams history.
Jarod McGee
very powerful message highly recommended
Dave
Aug 13, 2007 Dave rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hip hop heads
Shelves: memoirbiography
life is luck and work
Marcus
Feb 02, 2008 Marcus rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
What a story!!!
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Bigwesmusic
Bigwesmusic marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Johannes
Johannes marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Zach Blakeman
Zach Blakeman marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
april
april added it
Mar 17, 2015
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Davion Dotson
Davion Dotson marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Deborah Edwards
Deborah Edwards marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Dche
Dche marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Michael McDonald
Michael McDonald marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • Lush Life: A Biography of Billy Strayhorn
  • On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C.J. Walker
  • One Day It'll All Make Sense
  • Brother Ray: Ray Charles' Own Story
  • Yes Yes Y'all: The Experience Music Project Oral History Of Hip-hop's First Decade
  • Keep The Faith
  • Basquiat: A Quick Killing in Art
  • Crazy from the Heat
  • There's A Riot Going On: Revolutionaries, Rock Stars, and the Rise and Fall of '60s Counter-Culture
  • Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists
  • Off The Rails
Russell Simmons is an American entrepreneur and record producer. Simmons was the former owner of the pioneering hip-hop label Def Jam, a founder of Russell Simmons Music Group, and the creator of the clothing fashion line Phat Farm and the fragrance label Atman.

Russell Simmons is the fourth richest hip hop entrepreneur, having a net-worth estimate of $340 million, behind Jay-Z ($547M), 50 Cent ($4
More about Russell Simmons...
Do You!: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple Super Rich : A Guide to having it all Russell Simmons Def Poetry Jam on Broadway ... and More Untitled on Veganism