With a Twist (Wild Hart Saga, #1)

With a Twist (Wild Hart Saga #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  599 ratings  ·  48 reviews
He's a tall order. She's a hot dish.
But are they ready for the main course?

Natalie Bocuse dreams of managing a chic Manhattan restaurant. In the meantime she's waitressing at her sister's French bistro in Brooklyn.

Among the regulars is Quinn O'Brien, not only the best reporter in New York but the most handsome. He'll do anything for a story, even break hearts, though Natal...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about With a Twist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With a Twist

Julie (jjmachshev)
"With a Twist" by Deirdre Martin was a book I really, really wanted to like. Unfortunately for me, the heroine got on my nerves from her first appearance and everything she said and did just GRATED for me. At the halfway point, I gave up. I just couldn't deal with the heroine's attitude anymore and so I quit. Plenty of other readers have enjoyed this book so I like to think this was just a wrong person, wrong book situation.

Quinn is an Irish New-Yorker newspaper reporter...the best reporter in N...more
Just - The romance reader
I found myself turned off by Natalie's snobbery at times, but she is French right? That's how the writer had the other characters justify her sometimes snide and uppity comments. And I was often irked by Quinn's self-absorption and overall cluelessness of his neglect of Natalie. With that said, I enjoyed With A Twist. Natalie's sister Vivi was a very sweet girl, and I loved how much of a close-knit family Quinn had, along with the regulars at the Wild Hart pub, who were also like family.

As the s...more
Lisa
This was my first book by Deirdre Martin and I don't think it was the best one to pick. It says this is #2 in the Wild Hart Saga following an anthology story from Double the Pleasure (which I have not read yet) but I thought, oh its just a short story, probably ok to read With a Twist first. On that thought I was right, the couple from their only make a brief apperance. However, Natalie, the heroine, has a sister Vivi who has her own story in Just a Taste, which is part of the Blades series. I r...more
Anna
Not as bad as Chasing Stanley but nowhere near Fair Play. I realize why I stopped reading this genre of novels.
Cherry-Ann
My first Deirdre Martin and hopefully not my last. Loved the wit and humour between the characters. Believable story in good ole New Yawk...what a gag. My only complaint would be the character description and the love-making scenes. For one, possibly from TV shows I saw my Irish as wiry so when Frenchie kept talking about broad shoulders I was a bit confused. Then she "got off" so quickly - eew, don't know if that is an endorsement on his skills or as we say "blood close to the skin." LOL. All i...more
Lisa
It was okay. It was hard to like the characters. Not one of my favorites of hers.
LaFleurBleue
I really liked the NY Blades series and was looking forward to reading this one after having found it at my thriftstore.
I absolutely hated it and spent the whole reading time puffing. The heroine's name, Natalie, is spelled the American way, despite her being described as French through and through - in French, it would be Nathalie. That was line 3 in the book and it already got on my nerves. Then Vivi, her sister (also French) always mixes up the colloquial expression - that could have been qui...more
Meredith Enos
Usually, I get a random book from the library to read on my bus commute, something that's the book equivalent to Ugly Betty: escapism at its cheesy best. I need that, otherwise I get motion sickness on the ride. With a Twist was this week's book, and it was so bad I felt moved to write a review.

Look, I know these kinds of books are not masterpieces, but they should deliver on the "cheesy best" part: outlandish plot, banter, steamy sex scenes, weird inner logic, high jinks, chemistry, protagonis...more
Sarah Eiseman
This is the book that connects the NY Blades series and her O’Brien/Irish series.

OK, to be fair, I usually love Martin’s books. I had been looking forward to getting my hands on a book that I hadn’t read yet. But, unfortunately, this book did not do it for me. I found the characters to be annoying, inconsistent, but more importantly, I didn’t believe the resolution. From my perspective reading this book, it seemed a little like the author ran out of steam and just pushed out a novel to tie up lo...more
Briana
This book had a some promise that it just didn't meet up to. The pacing was rather slow which made it hard to really get into. The two main characters Quinn and Natalie were annoying most of the time . Natalie's attitude was kind of grating (she's very much a snob and not really a lovable one either) and Quinn's was okay until it came to the subject of his job and then he was just a jerk who wouldn't compromise. Their romance sprung off of bothering each other but frankly for much of the beginni...more
Serena
A book that had very little chemistry. I felt like the author was trying o convince the reader that the couple was in love instead of letting the story flow. There was little to no romance in their relationship and it wasn't until the end that I felt that they should end up together.
Jessica Alcazar
I'm glad I gave Deirdre Martin another chance after a miserable fail with her NY Blades series because I LOVED this family!
This book actually spins off the Blades series after 'just a Taste' where Quinn is introduced and of course so are Natalie's sister and her HEA lol
I really loved Quinn and his determination, not only to go after his 'story of a lifetime', but also his love, Natalie :] and I wasnt really that put off by Natalie and her somewhat spoiled/snobbish personality. She was what she w...more
Doreen
No sizzle. No depth of character. No angst of feeling in the pit of my core when I read this author. Some of the characters (H/h) are just plain unlikeable. I didn't even care if they got together in the end. No, "OMG!Nooooo!" when they break up. You get the gist.
Bree:)
Didn't love this.. I don't think I really loved the story line!
Heather Tisdale
It took me 6 months to finish this.
Michele
These characters were introduced to us in the book "Just a Taste"

Natalie Bocuse is a waitress at her sister's French bistro in Brooklyn, yet she dreams of managing a chic restaurant in Manhattan.

Among the regulars is Quinn O'Brian, a reporter known for breaking stories-and hearts. When he offers Natalie a job at his parents' Irish pub in Manhattan, she jumps at the chance to be one step closer to her dream. But Quinn will need the luck of the Irish to charm Natalie and write a happy ending to hi...more
Carolyn
With A Twist: Deirdre Martin

I usually enjoy Deirdre Martin books. But this was one was just okay with me. Started off Fast, and then it just got to slow. Found myself skipping parts also. Natalie was just to much of a snob but she finally comes around and Quinn invests to much of himself in his job but he does have a great family and a good sense of humor. So, even though I like her other books this one just didn't grab my attention and I rated it a 3 star for it's OK characters, plot, and chemi...more
Mareli
I did 2 in the morning because I couldn't stop reading. How wonderful is this book! I loved her and him so much. And to think I didn't like her at the very beginning. She was too spoiled, too brat, too snob, too much a shopaholic for my tastes. And instead she dug a place into my heart. He was easier to love, so driven, so focused on his work. Really a wonderful story. And not to mention his wonderful family. Gotta love Irish people!

Ann Marie
This is the second installment of the Hart series. I am a little sorry I read these out of order but all three stand alone pretty well on their own. Natalie returns from Just a Taste and is looking for a job managing a restaurant. Quinn is a reporter who stumbled upon the story of his career. This two are an unlikely match but I found myself cheering them on as they each pursue their dreams while trying to avoid each other.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Feb 12, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the author
Shelves: romance, read-in-2012
Great plot, OK characters, OK writing. I found myself skimming the love scenes because they were not integral to the advancement of the relationship (not even their first time) and they were not well written. It was as if they'd been added in because some editor said "more sex".

Oh, well, still a pleasant way to spend an evening. Especially because I bought a box of Russell Stover chocolates with nuts.
Jess
You know, I picked this up on a whim because the author has a series of hockey romances I've been trying to read for what feels like forever and I wish I hadn't, because I really just didn't like this one at all. There's nothing objectively wrong with it; I'm sure lots of other people do like it. But nothing about the couple clicked for me and that's the one thing I can't forgive in a romance novel.
Jessica
I really enjoy Deirdre Martin, but I have to say I liked her earlier works much better than her more recent books. Her first three or four were very good. Great characters. Strong character/personality reliability. The last three haven't been as satisfactory in character content. All that aside, I really enjoy Ms. Martin's style of writing and do look forward to her next book.
Angie
I really liked Natalie and Quinn. Half way through the book I realized that I've read a couple of stories from Ms. Martin and it was nice to see some more about the O'Brien family. I will say however, that I thought it was a little long. It seemed that Quinn and Nat would never get it together. Overall a fun read and I'm excited to read about Liam and his love in the next story.
Leya
I'm pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed this book.

Both Natalie and Quinn are career orientated, they're banter is hilarious and they're chemistry worked. Not as a steamy as some previous books, but much better than the last, in my opinion. The author also introduced a interesting group of characters and I cannot wait to read more about them.
Colleen
"I read some reviews that said this was a ""Must Read"" which makes me question the reviewers or what they saw that I missed. I thought the book was okay. I found the lead character, Natalie, to be a spoiled snob. It was cute at first but wore thin rather quickly. Honestly, I started to understand why Quinn was working so much."
Kerste
Jul 05, 2010 Kerste rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dierdre Martin fans to further the story
I'm okay with this book. It was better than Just a Taste where the arguing was distracting. I sort of expected the gangster part to be a bit more graphic than it was and I actually skipped over the "steamy" scenes, I enjoyed the characters and was more interested in the story moving forward than their time in the bedroom. Sue me.
Alissa
I like Deirdre Martin because I enjoy how her characters overlap. Although I prefer the Blades series better since the male lead in those books is a hockey player. But this was a well put together romance between two feisty people and the book had two steamy love scenes.
Fahmida
SKIP this book. Deirdre Martin's Blades series was really good, and I thought I'd pick this up since its somewhat of a continuation. What a terrible, terrible book. The writing was crappy. The story moved too fast, then too slow and there was zero chemistry.
Jill
Maybe one needs to read the first in the series to witness Natalie and Quinn flirting? I don't know, but I was not invested in these characters. I didn't think they had chemistry and didn't care about either one of them or their relationship.
Win an ARC of With a Twist 1 2 Mar 06, 2009 04:27PM
  • Dirty Sexy Knitting (Malibu and Ewe #3)
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Knot (Chicks with Sticks #2)
  • Double the Pleasure
  • Smart Girls Think Twice (Girls Do Or Don't, #4)
  • Too Hot to Handle (Domestic Gods, #2)
  • Bending the Rules (Sisterhood Diaries, #2)
  • How to Tame a Modern Rogue
  • Lucky Break (Lucky Trilogy, #3)
  • How to Score
  • Burning Down the Spouse (Ex Trophy Wives #2)
  • Suddenly Sexy
  • Luscious (Sexy Chefs, #2)
  • Bedtime for Bonsai (Guys & Dogs, #4)
  • And Then He Kissed Me
  • Tangled Up In You (Writer Friends, #3)

New York Times Bestselling Author Deirdre Martin was six when she wrote her first "book,”a Peanuts parody. In addition to penning bad, maudlin poetry in junior high school and serving as the Arts Editor on her high school newspaper, she was also the Arts Editor at her colleg...more
More about Deirdre Martin...
Body Check (New York Blades, #1) Fair Play (New York Blades, #2) The Penalty Box (New York Blades, #4) Power Play (New York Blades, #7) Chasing Stanley (New York Blades, #5)