Start by marking “The Art & Craft of the Short Story” as Want to Read:
The Art & Craft of the Short Story

The Art & Craft of the Short Story

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The author "Shares advice from his years of writing and teaching experience on how to write a short story. His instruction is wise and accessible, a mix of insights and strategies, practical excercises, and exampleas classic stories from writers such as Erneit Hemingway, Anton Chekhov, and Eudora Welty."
Published May 1st 2000 by Story Press Books

To ask other readers questions about The Art & Craft of the Short Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art & Craft of the Short Story

Rhonda Browning White
Feb 06, 2012 Rhonda Browning White rated it really liked it
This is one of the few texts I’ve found dealing specifically with problems unique to short story writing. Some of the advice in this book is universal to writing in general, however it is particularly applicable to abbreviated stories. DeMarinis both begins and ends his book with a chilling confession: “I don’t know how to write a short story” (4, 224). Frightening though his beginning and ending statements may be (in between them is couched over two hundred pages of solid advice and direct exam ...more
Steven
May 10, 2008 Steven rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
I ordered this book without looking at it first because I’ve enjoyed a lot of DeMarinis’s stories, but I don’t think I would have bought it if I’d skimmed it in a bookstore. Not that it is a bad book. I think it is probably a great book on writing short stories, especially for those just starting on that path. It’s the kind of book I wish I’d had years ago, not that there isn’t something to learn from it now. It’s just that it didn’t help me to understand a better way to write about emotions the ...more
Elvira Baryakina
Aug 18, 2015 Elvira Baryakina rated it liked it
Ничего особого. Все то же самое написано в десятках аналогичных книг.
Hannah
Sep 05, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on the craft of the short story, but filled with useful advice for fiction writers in general.
Jessica
Jan 22, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: rereading, on-writing
Read this a zillion years ago as an undergrad; digging it out again for a re-read.
Thomas Edmund
Jul 19, 2012 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing
There isn't really too much so say on this that a simple - good advice on shorty stories, and general writing too, doesn't cover. Obviously the focus of this book is more on Short Stories (and of the literary kind) however I recommend it to all writers wanting to hone their craft, as DeMarinis provides excellent advice on style, analogy and P.O.V. all of which is applicable to novel writing also.
malrubius
Jan 30, 2013 malrubius rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Not very well organized, and chapters like "Form" are less about form than about attempting unconventional forms, but this monograph is definitely one step more advanced and insightful than the usual "Writer's Digest" craft books, etc, with regard to the creative process and the writer's choices and the special requirements and character of the short story form.
Gavin Breeden
Dec 14, 2011 Gavin Breeden rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
I read the first half, and thoroughly skimmed the second half. There is a tremendous amount of overlap among books on writing. But each writer presents a couple original nuggets. This book is no exception. Some helpful things from a different perspective. This is a good one for beginners. Lots of examples, some famous and some from the author himself.
John Hanson
Sep 10, 2015 John Hanson rated it liked it
A worthy read but heavy on filler. I thought his assertion that plot equates to antecedent events was off base. Plot to me equates to the conflict. Antecedent events are one of the forms of conflict and do not necessarily create plot -- contrast, antithesis, but construction, etc. Yeah, this is MFA land, a realm I do not belong in, so I will stop.
Amy Saunders
Oct 13, 2008 Amy Saunders rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Intermediate short story writers.
Shelves: writing-craft
A more advanced play-by-play of the short story. Equipped with exercises that make you think and then write outside of your comfort zone. There are not too many books dedicated to short story writing so this is a gem.
Nick
Jul 05, 2008 Nick rated it it was ok
Good for those just getting their feet wet. Contains some interesting exercises and tips, but it lacked somewhat when it came to technical craft elements. Not bad though.
James Piper
This book didn't help me in writing a short story. I think the form is beyond me.
Bill Maya
Bill Maya marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Trevor Kidd
Trevor Kidd rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Lindsey Smith
Lindsey Smith rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Kellye Guinan
Kellye Guinan rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Ivy June
Ivy June rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Lady JK
Lady JK marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Rachel Gangadeen
Rachel Gangadeen marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
James
James rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Jack Castillo
Jack Castillo rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
K Rae
K Rae marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Andrés Ignacio Torres
Andrés Ignacio Torres marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Amir Shah
Amir Shah marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Erik Dryden
Erik Dryden rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Adam Kinsey
Adam Kinsey marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Adam Ross
Adam Ross rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Noelle
Noelle added it
Feb 04, 2015
Thomas Parker
Thomas Parker marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015