Start by marking “Little Bitty Lies” as Want to Read:
Little Bitty Lies

Little Bitty Lies

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  6,742 ratings  ·  481 reviews

“A delightful and hilarious tale.”
Chattanooga Times Free Press

“Little white lies have never been so risky—or so much fun.”
Orlando Sentinel

New York Times bestselling author Mary Kay Andrews delivers another treasure of a comic novel. Little Bitty Lies is a tantalizing tale about an abandoned Atlanta housewife and mother who tells one tiny white lie that sets her world spi

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Little Bitty Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Bitty Lies

Ian
After her husband empties their bank accounts and abandons her, Mary Bliss tells a small lie to avoid the humiliation. Desperate and penniless she hatches a plan to fake her husbands death and claim on a life insurance policy. But her lies are coming undone almost as fast as she tells them.

The author leaves so many things in this book unfinished. It's almost as if she got bored with the book and decided to wrap it up half-way through.

The premise is interesting, the characters are likeable and th
Cathie
Antof9
What an odd book! First, I thought it was going to be chick lit, but it wasn't. It more like Chick Limystery. Or something :)

It was very light and fluffy, and some of the characters (Katherine, especially) were over the top. I did like Mary Bliss, though, and her adventures in taking care of herself were both upsetting and entertaining.

I found it odd that some things were very "Southern" (capital S), and other things seemed to miss the boat. For example, the first time Erin used a swear word in
Lori Anaple
If you like chic lit, you will like this. It is a fun rompy ride, nothing too heavy and characters that are relatable while being completely over the top.

Mary Bliss finds out that her husband left her via a note he left in the closet. He cleaned out all of their accounts and remortgaged their house and left her penniless. He did pay up his cantankerous mother's nursing home bill and she does know where he is, but she is not saying.

So, with her best friend and partner in crime, Mary Bliss sets o
Whitney
This may sound a little snobbish but as a general rule I don't read novels that have a cartoonish drawing on the cover; I typically take that as a warning sign for being a trashy novel. Please don't ask why I picked it up.

Little Bitty Lies by Mary Kay Andrews centers around Mary Bliss McGowan whose husband has left her and their 17 year old daughter Erin, leaving her only with the kitchen sink. Parker McGowan has run into some business trouble and cleans out all of his family's assets i.e. check
Randy
much more fun than i'd hoped for. it was different than other chick lit i've read -- in a good way -- and kind of reminded me of Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler. atlanta is as much a character in this book as NYC is in other chick lit. there was a lot I recognize from my own experiences in the South, which was three-parts refreshing and one-part suffocating. speaking of recipes, there's one in the back for Mary Bliss' perfect chicken salad. I'll try it out sometime.
Tasha
This is a funny, light read. Kept me laughing throughout the book. Finished it in one day. MB's best friend Katherine will keep you entertained. I didn't like the attitude of her daughter Erin, but other than that, it was a good read. Definitely would recommend picking it up if you like witty romances.
Dianne
4.5 stars-"It Was the Summer From Hell"

Little Bitty Lies by Mary Kay Andrews

This sometimes confusing, sort of depressing, yet at the same time, funny and poignant novel is written by the mystery writer Kathy Trocheck. Moreover, it sure looks like the transition to a slightly different style of mystery combined with female literature seems to have been made successfully! I have not read any of the mystery series but if they are half as good as the writing in this novel, I should be pleased.

Yes, t
Mary Elizabeth
The novel Little Bitty Lies, by Mary Kay Andrews, tells of a woman named Mary Bliss McGowan. An average suburban mom, Mary Bliss has a perfect life. Unfortunately, it does not last for long. One warm summer’s night there is a letter left in her closet, on a junk mail envelope, saying her husband is gone for good. Her idyllic world shatters. Her husband withdraws all the money from her bank accounts and leaves her broke. The situation, she decides, calls for desperate measures. Mary Bliss and her ...more
Tiffany
I was recently introduced to Mary Kay Andrews' books and became an instant admirer of her work. Little Bitty Lies is another exceptional story centered around Mary Bliss McGowan, a wife and mother whose husband disappears under mysterious circumstances. As Mrs. McGowan gets over the shock of his departure she realizes that not only is her husband gone, but he took all of their money with him. That's when she starts telling a web of little lies to help her cope and keep a roof over her daughter's ...more
Allison
What a great, fun read! I thought the book started out slow but it picked up! What do you do when your husband packs up and leaves one day and leaves you with only a note? Well Mary Bliss and her friend Katherine came up with a lie that changes everything! They set up a boat crash in Mexico to say that Mary Bliss's husband died on. That way the noisy neighbors can't say anything negative about their marriage. The trouble that these two get in will keep you on your toes and keep you laughing! I e ...more
Alison
I had been looking forward to this read since I had loved Hissy Fit also written by Andrews. But this book fell very flat in my eyes with some of the most awkward cringe worthy literary moments. In addition to just being an uncomfortable read, I pretty much hated every character this book had to offer. If you weren't spiteful and bratty, you were weak and passive. This book reminded me of the movie Hope Floats, such a great warning of those who want kids as to what can easily be your awful awful ...more
Emily Regenold
Little Bitty Lies is the Mary Kay Andrews book for Dateline fans, and a Dateline fan I am.

While I certainly appreciated the somewhat divergent plot of Little Bitty Lies, as a Friday and Saturday night murder mystery obsessee, I couldn't fully immerse myself in this read due to sheer unbelievability. Perhaps if I wasn't aware of all the triple-checks, video cameras, and DNA tests that surround a murder, I could have been fooled that the stunts pulled by protagonist Mary Bliss, and her best frien
Sonja
oooohhhh... this is just too bad...
I'm sorry I picked this one for our book club to read...
I was disappointed in the story and the characters!

Mary Bliss, the main character was totally without a clue and it wasn't funny, it was just sad.
Katherine was supposed to be her best friend and gave her some of the worst advise ever and Mary Bliss actually went along with it... I guess insurance fraud was supposed to be funny, but I just didn't get it.
There was nothing 'Little Bitty' about her Lies! I onl
Marilou
Classic Mary Kay Andrews. Wife finds out hubby has left her and her teenage daughter...took all the money, etc. She has the conflict of her daughter...being a typical pain the butt for a teenager. How is she to overcome the emotional loss and the financial loss.This is a Southern novel about woman's lifelong quest for home but also about the important things in life: marriage and divorce, mothers and daughters, friendship and betrayal, small-town secrets and the perfect recipe for chicken salad.
Stacygibbs
I've read almost all of Mary Key Andrews' books, and they're very light reading. They almost always follow the same pattern--the stable protagonist has a best friend who is a little wild, and they stick together through difficult situations. This one was my favorite of hers because it was set in Atlanta, where I understood the references to private schools, malls, etc. It was also fun to see how the plot unfolded when Mary Bliss' husband disappeared unexpectedly. Good summer read!
Misty
Tressa
I really enjoyed Little Bitty Lies. I was firmly in Mary Bliss's camp and I sincerely wished that good and happy events would happen to her. I was sympathetic to her plight. I also liked Mary Bliss's friends. I did think the ending was abrupt, but I felt that way because I wanted to know what happened next now that everything had settled down. I didn't want the story to end.
Just - The romance reader
This book was so good! The plot was full of twists and turns, drama and heartache and best of all, when it comes down to it, love. Mary Bliss is a strong, spunky and fiercely loyal character who will not stop until she has done everything she can to protect and defend her family.

I might just have to read this book again!
Ty Parks
I loved the fictional characters of this book. I liked the message of courage and strength it gave through Mary Bliss's character. I enjoyed the way it pulled the reader in and forced you to see someone you know in each of the characters.
I would recommend this book to those who enjoy dramatic, fictional, girly books.
Luisa
At first I wasn't liking it very much, then it got more interesting as it progressed. Still not a keeper anyway
Sandra
Definitely not one of MKA's best. I finished it, but I'm kind of wondering why. I just didn't warm to the main character, Mary Bliss. I thought she was weak and too much of a pushover. And as for Parker? Well what can really be said about a man who cleans out the family account's? I was hoping for some redemption for him, but I was sadly disappointed. The funeral scene practically turned my stomach, with his complete and utter disregard for his family..... Looking forward to something better wit ...more
Diana Gotsch
I tried a Mary Kay Andrews because she also wrote the Callahan Garrity series under the name Kathy Hogan Trocheck.I enjoyed that series very much several years ago and decided to give the Andrews books a chance.I do, on occasion, read chick lit and romance books so that matched as well.This not a book I fell in love with. Didn't hate it either but probably would not recommend it.

The little bitty lies mentioned in the title are more like great big whoppers. At times they seem a little bit over t
Sandi
Probably one of MKA better books... Still funny and light hearted, for the most part.., but had some darker points than most her books.

Merged review:

Well, Mary Kay Andrews books have sucked me in several times and for the most part I like them, but there always seems to be one little part of the puzzle missing; some things just don't have enough details... Like she had to make this chicken salad for a catering business , but why was this even part of the story ? I kept thinking it was going to l
Susan Kelley
I haven't listened to an audio book in about 2 years, but this book was a great one for my re-introduction. Tony and Emmy award winner Debra Monk was the reader of this abridged version. Of course, I wasn't aware that it was abridged until AFTER listening to the book and I saw 'Abridgement approved by the Author' in tiny print on the BACK!!! Why do they bother to create abridgements anyhow!??!!? All the same, I enjoyed this book, and hope that I didn't miss anything too important.

Mary Bliss McGo
adlin
While marriages are falling apart by the handful in Mary Bliss' neighborhood, she thinks hers is rock solid. It isn't. She discovers this when she finds a note from her husband saying he has left. She then learns he has taken everything, including all her money. Bills are unpaid and have been for months. A balloon payment that Mary Bliss was unaware of, is coming due. She doesn't have the money. It goes downhill from there.

Throw in a highly charged friend, a teenage daughter that needs reigning
Hilary
I should preface this review with I am not a fan of chick-lit. So my review is sort of skewed, because even if the book was great (it wasn't) I most likely would be giving it a below average review, because I just don't enjoy the genre that much.

My problem with Chick-Lit as a genre is often the main character isn't a strong woman. I don't really empathize or associate well with weak women, so I get very irritated with her poor decisions and when you don't like the main character, but also don't
Ashley Lombardo
Well written

I didn't know what to expect from this book; it turned out to be a little heavier than my usual preferred genre (Lighthearted Southern Chick Lit, with humor). I also thought the premise of Mary Bliss' lie was a little too implausible, for a woman of her education and background, to even consider attempting, suspension of disbelief aside. It was well-written, however. Although it might not completely to my own personal taste, for people who enjoy this style of novel, I recommend it. (
Jennifer Setzler
Normally, I love Mary Kay Andrews books, but this one just did not keep my interest. I did not like the characters and the plot was just too awkward. I am all for a little exaggeration to have a good story, but I could not side with the main character at all. Certainly, I felt for her, but her choices were ridiculous and immoral. It is hard to get into a story when you do not side with the protagonist.
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • The Land of Mango Sunsets
  • The Hot Flash Club Strikes Again
  • Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch
  • The Ex-Debutante
  • My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
  • Hostile Makeover
Andrews has a B.A. in newspaper journalism from The University of Georgia. She is a former reporter for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. While a reporter in Savannah, GA, she covered the real-life murder trials which were the basis of the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

She also writes the Callahan Garrity Mystery series and the Truman Kicklighter Mystery series under the pen name Ka
More about Mary Kay Andrews...
Summer Rental Hissy Fit Savannah Blues (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #1) The Fixer Upper Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)

“Don’t never depend on somebody else to take care of you, sugar. Trust in the Lord, and then you just take care of yourself, and things will work out fine.” 5 likes
“Salad” 0 likes